Ilinykh/Zhiganshin: Ruslan's retirement | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ilinykh/Zhiganshin: Ruslan's retirement

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
actually i always think elena is overrated...just my opinion though...

People tend to forget that Ice Dance is a team work, so when it definitely doesn't feel as exciting when you pick one out of the 2 members...

I felt like Ruslan didn't fit in the "Russian style" mold, but he was more of the quiet, light type of skating guy. Western Style.
It's really a shame that he's retiring :/

Weathergal

Medalist
At least Bobrova and H/K have had the sense to get an outside choreographer for the Olympic season.
I dread to think what Zhulin will give S/K.
Do they have a technical coach to work on Nikita's twizzles?
Bad programs and twizzle problems could bury them forever, sad for an OGM

You mean OBM? (Not trying to be mean--it's still an amazing accomplishment.)

I agree though that it's good that Bobrova / Soloviev and Hurtado / Khaliavin are getting outside choreographers. I'm honestly confused why Sinitsina / Katsalapov aren't. Is that not an option for them because of funding? Or is this their choice? Or is Zhulin insisting?

Last edited:

joanne129

Rinkside
I've always found Ruslan to be underrated. People are only fixated on Ilinykh / Katsalapov shoulda, coulda, woulda but I wonder how he would grow with Victoria Sinitsina further on if not for that swap. People seem to ignore that team that also split up almost completely I noticed. :slink: He used to get thrown aside.

I for once thought that I/K were overhyped around and after Sochi. Obviously they were very good, achieved some dreams but I did not see that ''coming up domination'' of them

yea i totally agree. Ruslan is overshadowed by elena. he is also hardworking and talented. yet, it is such a shame that most people only focus on her but not on the partnership

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
You mean OBM? (Not trying to mean--it's still an amazing accomplishment.)

I agree though that it's good that Bobrova / Soloviev and Hurtado / Khaliavin are getting outside choreographers. I'm honestly confused why Sinitsina / Katsalapov aren't. Is that not an option for them because of funding? Or is this their choice? Or is Zhulin insisting?

I'd say either funding or Zhulin - maybe he wants to work close to them from the start for the next quad? I wonder how good it will do for them, we'll have to see.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Zhulin is an A-class choreographer. Like many choreographers, he has hits & misses; but his hits are as good as anyone's. Sinitsina & Katsalapov have never had his choreography before so for them it could be a fresh & new style/way of moving. For them it will be a new challenge. Bobrova & Soloviev have had many of Zhulin's programs, both hits & misses, and will--of course--still have his feedback within this season's programs. But they are also pushing themselves in a new direction and challenging themselves.

rosy14

Final Flight
Oh my gosh??? What??? Is this for real? This sounds horrible. At the same time there is something wrong about coach dating his pupil who he breaks up from another pupil and worse when the coach seems to continously goes through relationships with skaters like the Reed's switch countries.

Oh, these are rumours going back to the beginning of this last season, but never backed with some piece of evidence, such as articles on newspapers, entries on forums or blogs or web sites. What is certain is that Nikita camw back to Russia to have an operation at his right shoulder.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I'd say either funding or Zhulin - maybe he wants to work close to them from the start for the next quad? I wonder how good it will do for them, we'll have to see.

I think so too. He wants another high tier dance team for the next quad, because Bobrova/Soloviev will either retire or skip a season or two. Zhulin also said that Tchaikovskaia will continue to work with Sinitsina/Katsalapov in collaboration with him. I doubt it's because of money, most likely it's their choice together with Zhulin.

Mattieu

Medalist
Oh, these are rumours going back to the beginning of this last season, but never backed with some piece of evidence, such as articles on newspapers, entries on forums or blogs or web sites. What is certain is that Nikita camw back to Russia to have an operation at his right shoulder.

Which never happened ;)

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
oooookay. it seems that 'soon' we'll get new interview from Ruslan by Simonenko. it looks like he's really done, Elena wants to continue.

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
yea i totally agree. Ruslan is overshadowed by elena. he is also hardworking and talented. yet, it is such a shame that most people only focus on her but not on the partnership

It's always been Elena this, Elena that ad nauseam without people seeing bigger picture :drama: While I agree that Elena was very striking & more visible on the ice than Ruslan ... I think people underrated his endeavours & skills. On the bright side Elena & Ruslana seemed to get along just fine at least.

Last edited:

Marta25

Medalist
oooookay. it seems that 'soon' we'll get new interview from Ruslan by Simonenko. it looks like he's really done, Elena wants to continue.

In the last few years I`ve lost a few teams becaue of break-ups, but this is really really hard to get over with because they had sooo much potential. :(

While I liked I/K, I became a real fan of Elena when she started skating with Ruslan. There was something so charming and refreshing about Ruslena, that nobody else had. They were just different. Now, I see how this can also be a disadvantage when the packaging isn`t done right. Well, eventhough Ruslan`s retirement looks to be final, I`m not giving up yet. There were retired skaters that decided to come back in the past, who knows maybe Ruslan will decide the same. If I/K fans are not giving up after three years of separation, I don`t see why I should, few days after Ruslan`s retirement. :biggrin::p

bramweld

Record Breaker
In the last few years I`ve lost a few teams becaue of break-ups, but this is really really hard to get over with because they had sooo much potential. :(

While I liked I/K, I became a real fan of Elena when she started skating with Ruslan. There was something so charming and refreshing about Ruslena, that nobody else had. They were just different. Now, I see how this can also be a disadvantage when the packaging isn`t done right. Well, eventhough Ruslan`s retirement looks to be final, I`m not giving up yet. There were retired skaters that decided to come back in the past, who knows maybe Ruslan will decide the same. If I/K fans are not giving up after three years of separation, I don`t see why I should, few days after Ruslan`s retirement. :biggrin::p

:) Looking forward to hearing the details.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
You know it is interesting the way we think. Many will say that this team was a failure and lacked talent, commitment, ability, tech skills, focus whatever. But they are still a top five team in their country and probably top 30 if not 20 maybe even 15 in the world. Not all that bad.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
You know it is interesting the way we think. Many will say that this team was a failure and lacked talent, commitment, ability, tech skills, focus whatever. But they are still a top five team in their country and probably top 30 if not 20 maybe even 15 in the world. Not all that bad.

I'd say they are top15 for sure, even out of shape as they were at times. But with all the talent they do have, there was a lot more they could have done, but never did because they failed at times, lacked commitment and focus, and often were not at the top of their game technically.

Weathergal

Medalist

Zhulin is an A-class choreographer. Like many choreographers, he has hits & misses; but his hits are as good as anyone's. Sinitsina & Katsalapov have never had his choreography before so for them it could be a fresh & new style/way of moving. For them it will be a new challenge. Bobrova & Soloviev have had many of Zhulin's programs, both hits & misses, and will--of course--still have his feedback within this season's programs. But they are also pushing themselves in a new direction and challenging themselves.

I hope you're both right. Ice Dance you have a point - not all of Zhulin's stuff has been bad. It's just I hate to see skaters with material that doesn't put them in their best light. And I say that as someone who's not really a fan of Sinitsina / Katsalapov.

I want to see a strong field overall, and the Russian ice dance teams often bring things to the sport that, for example, the North American teams don't - and the reverse is true as well. I think stronger ice dance in Russia (and other countries) make the sport more competitive and more interesting. (I also feel that way about, for example, ladies skating. The Russian ladies and the depth of their field are amazing. But it's good to see strong programs in other countries, too, like Japan - and the up-and-coming Canadians.) Hope that all makes sense.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I hope you're both right. Ice Dance you have a point - not all of Zhulin's stuff has been bad. It's just I hate to see skaters with material that doesn't put them in their best light. And I say that as someone who's not really a fan of Sinitsina / Katsalapov.

I want to see a strong field overall, and the Russian ice dance teams often bring things to the sport that, for example, the North American teams don't - and the reverse is true as well. I think stronger ice dance in Russia (and other countries) make the sport more competitive and more interesting. (I also feel that way about, for example, ladies skating. The Russian ladies and the depth of their field are amazing. But it's good to see strong programs in other countries, too, like Japan - and the up-and-coming Canadians.) Hope that all makes sense.

Yeah ... it's definitely in the best interest of us - viewers & sport in general to have more than a couple of strong countries in each discipline, even if sometimes those skaters from other country can beat your favourites. As for material ... am I the only one who liked Sinitsina / Katsalapov Free Dance to Io Si Caro sung by Andrea Bocelli? I thought that how they presented it in Boston was admirable.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker

Russia made the team their national champions! They did not respond well to that at all. They did not challenge P/C and did not become frontrunners or co frontrunners for world title. Was this because b/s were injured and said they were coming back and I/z would never really be number one? Or just bad coaching and being weak technically compared to the brilliant North American based teams.

I'd say they are top15 for sure, even out of shape as they were at times. But with all the talent they do have, there was a lot more they could have done, but never did because they failed at times, lacked commitment and focus, and often were not at the top of their game technically.

The technical problems: their lack of talent or Russian Federation and coaching not caring to improve them? Bad consistency?

I see a lot of rejection of what considered to be hallmarks of Russian ice dance. That it's all outdated and if a person does like it it's out of nostalgia or amazement someone is still doing something so outdated and rejected among all North American coaches. And it doesn't win euros or gpf or worlds or Olympics so no one else will do it and it will vanish. Russia is going to adopt all North American style eventually!

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
Russia is going to adopt all North American style eventually![/QUOTE]

The Russian Federation needs to develop an actual ice dance program that trains talented ice dancers rather than working with singles and pairs rejects. They need to look towards a new crop of dancers, their current crop is good but not much else.

Last edited: