Ilinykh/Zhiganshin: Ruslan's retirement | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ilinykh/Zhiganshin: Ruslan's retirement

Marta25

Medalist
Ruslan's injury seems to be pretty bad if it would cause them to miss the GP season. Without GPs they will have no chance of Euros and Worlds again and worse still a poor ranking for the following season, so really not good. (I base my no chance of Euros and Worlds on the fact that the Russian Federation seems to base who they push at Nationals on the GP results) I think she'd do better to start again now with a new partner.

Ok and who is she supposed to skate with? It doesn`t look like Bukin, Soloviev, Katsalapov or Drozd are going to leave their partners and the guys who are free would take more than a few months to get to her level if ever.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
What do you mean - a salary
Are they working as coaches or have jobs outside of skating

It means, the federation pays them to skate, just like football players and basketball players are paid to play their sports. And just like some professional athletes, skaters can still get paid even if they are injured all year or dealing with other issues.

Ender

Match Penalty
So... he wants to retire but they deny that statement in order to get funding?

Turbo-Mom

On the Ice
Hi Abraxis
Thanks for the insight
I've seen the black credit card they have but thought it was for funding
Did not know that it also included a salary
Nice arrangement
Sort of like Soviet Hockey when I skated

Last edited:

Kelly Lynn

Rinkside
Really folks, this pair never looked right. He made her look heavy and she made him look wimpy. Her drama was g rotesque with him, better balanced with K who is also a performer.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I reviewed Ilinykh from Schindler list FD 2010, Carmen 2014, Frida 2015, Bollywood 2017 and SinKats Tango and Bocelli, then Stepanova and Bukin's Astor Piazzola Tango and I've gots to say two things;

1. The Russian Federation must be the most incompetent managers of ice dance in the world.
2. The best ice dance partner in Russia is Ivan Bukin.

Good luck to Lena in her future endeavors, I hope she gets to complete her career with dignity.

Ender

Match Penalty
Really folks, this pair never looked right. He made her look heavy and she made him look wimpy. Her drama was g rotesque with him, better balanced with K who is also a performer.
They did well in Carmen. I think it's more of a case they lack discipline and not enough motivation, no good advices as well.

Mattieu

Medalist
They did well in Carmen. I think it's more of a case they lack discipline and not enough motivation, no good advices as well.

Ruslan cannot be accused of a lack of discipline, I do know he worked incredibly hard when he was in the US.
They were just a mismatch.

Elena is done and Nikita will be done soon too IMO. I would be very surprised if he is still compete after the olympics.

madison

Record Breaker
Ruslan cannot be accused of a lack of discipline, I do know he worked incredibly hard when he was in the US.
They were just a mismatch.

Elena is done and Nikita will be done soon too IMO. I would be very surprised if he is still compete after the olympics.
But is Ruslan so badly injured so to end his career? Or is it just a pretext?

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I reviewed Ilinykh from Schindler list FD 2010, Carmen 2014, Frida 2015, Bollywood 2017 and SinKats Tango and Bocelli, then Stepanova and Bukin's Astor Piazzola Tango and I've gots to say two things;

1. The Russian Federation must be the most incompetent managers of ice dance in the world.
2. The best ice dance partner in Russia is Ivan Bukin.

Good luck to Lena in her future endeavors, I hope she gets to complete her career with dignity.

Oh my God. Not this again. From the Worlds (edit: Euros) of 2014 they haven't had two clean programs in single competition: splats, ruined lifts, dropped costume details, obvious stumbles. Just check it out. Not to mention literally the same elements from year to year. Elena is a super talented lady and I'm a big fan of her, but she can be just as good as her partner let her be. So the magic worked with Nikita, they were equals technically and performance-wise. But with Ruslan even her mimics look extra next to his strained face. The partnership didn't work not because of the Federation. And Ruslan got injured not because of the Federation. Elena's fans should stop blaming everyone around.

P.S. And ice dancer who can't hear the music can't be the best partner.

Mattieu

Medalist
But is Ruslan so badly injured so to end his career? Or is it just a pretext?

From the photo he post on VK of himself in a gym working out, I suspect is just a pretext
It's very simple, no one wants to skate with a partner fat which don't work as hard as she should.

Turbo-Mom

On the Ice
Depends on his injury
If it's a sports hernia that it might be career ending. Not many surgeons can fix these core muscle injuries. Dr Meyers in Philadelphia and Dr brown in San Jose but neither accept insurance
Mostly professional athletes but I guess Russian figure skaters are probably covered

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
It's very simple, no one wants to skate with a partner fat which don't work as hard as she should.

This thread has turned downright mean towards Elena. I am amazed this is still here and not deleted by a mod or something. No elite skater is 'fat' or they wouldn't be able to perform. And while the partnership apparently didn't work out and they looked unprepared at some competitions, where's the evidence for all these self-assured claims Ilinykh didn't work hard? It's not like skaters share everything that bothers or hurts them with fans and journalists.

noidont

Final Flight
I don't quite believe Zhiganshin is all that injured. I think he probably just doesn't want to skate with Elena anymore. Wouldn't be surprised if he shows up with a younger or most likely foreign partner after Olympics. Ruslan just isn't a top-tier caliber skater. He still performs in a bland juniorish way. It's probably better for him to get on the Nelli route.
Elena's shape is an issue. She is not the first skater who has trouble getting through some sort of a growth spurt. It amazes me that she can still skate this well.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why doesn't Ruslan come out himself and set the record straight? After all he's a big boy he can speak for himself.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Because all of this is really pretext for two much bigger things;

1. Just how well will Katsalapov do without Ilinykh on the scene. He's an easily rattled ice dancer, while Stepanova and Bukin are mentally very, very strong. His lack of performance has nothing to do with her but rather his own issues.

2. Give Illinykh and Ruslan if he desires sufficient time to find new partners and get themselves in decent shape. Bobrova and Soloviev will not continue forever and Drozd needs a stronger partner than Loboda.

This is a time of new beginnings for Russian ID in general, but they need to be very thoughtful about future moves.

Illinykh's main problem is that she can be too smart for her own good. This year's programs were just utterly horrible and she just couldn't get past that.