Did your predictions come true? | Golden Skate

Did your predictions come true?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
While life has had its way I have not really even seen the WTT event but I wanted to say I predicted Gabby Daleman would rise. A couple years ago. Alaine does not have the nerve and Gabby is better now. Wow to Orser and his crew. Belated congrats to Canada. To see one of my early favorites come back from an ankle break was it-? Katelyn the lovely- and make the podium was wonderful.

I hope to see these two at the Olympics. I always said if our gals faltered I am behind these Canadian women. I never foresaw what the men are doing. It seems impossible the quadsters are taking over.

And while I know we all loved Javi and celebrated his first world medal I give props to Orser and co for making him a two time world champion. And a sweet humble guy. People can say Yuna and Hanyu were born superstars but I give Brian Tracy and that club huge props. I think Brian should have coached Chan too. Maybe we would have had finally a men's oly gold medal. The time for Chan has passed in that respect tho I love watching him skate.

What do you predict for next year?

Here are mine. Polina has a great moment with Rudy in San Jose and makes the team. Karen Chen hopefully reprises her amazing Sp On Golden Pond and gets on the team. Then I think the fight for three spot is a battle of nerves between Ashley Mirai and possibly Gracie. I predict Nathan Chen if he is not injured bad again will win Nationals again and take Gold or silver in Korea. I couldn't guess which Japanese or Chinese skater rounds the podium but most quads and decent presentation is the game. I hope Shoma gets a medal and I just want to see Patrick have two clean happy skates to end his career. Medal or not he is awesome.

I do have some dance and pairs predictions for next year but would rather hear your predictions.

Ladies- well the Gold seems taken- the other spots could be two of the top 8 girls.

The surprise of this year was Laurene Le Cavalier. She is French and they are always unique. I like her a lot. With Mao sadly gone I like Wakaba. She is so strong. It is just insane all the talent out there.

What's your hunch?

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
To this day, my most successful prediction was that Maria Butyrskaya would win Worlds in 1999. My second best, yet favorite prediction was that Patrick Chan would become World Champion. I had no idea that he'd become the legend he's become and he has been keeping me happy for 9 freakin' years. If he were to become the first Male Singles Olympic Champion from Canada, he would go down in history as the greatest Canadian Men's Champion. At least in my eyes. :bow:

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
my predictions this year included a strong dominance from V/M : i think we can say mission accomplished.

I also predicted Canadian ladies would do well... i was right for 2/3 .

Pairs : i didn't nail that one at all

Men : I predicted Patrick would have a great 4S... and it's one of the most beautiful 4S ever and landed quite regularly for a new quad so I am happy.

mrrice : to me, Patrick is the greatest Canadian Men's Champion already.. 9 titles... that's something... 2 silver medals at olympics + 3 world titles.... never below the top 5 since he has been " a contender" and still improving way past mid twenties, adding new jumps and combos...

let alone, the best interpreter and best pure skater out there.... <3 Patrick

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While life has had its way I have not really even seen the WTT event but I wanted to say I predicted Gabby Daleman would rise. A couple years ago. Alaine does not have the nerve and Gabby is better now. Wow to Orser and his crew. Belated congrats to Canada. To see one of my early favorites come back from an ankle break was it-? Katelyn the lovely- and make the podium was wonderful.

I hope to see these two at the Olympics.

And while I know we all loved Javi and celebrated his first world medal I give props to Orser and co for making him a two time world champion. And a sweet humble guy. People can say Yuna and Hanyu were born superstars but I give Brian Tracy and that club huge props.

:agree:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
May be it does not count as a prediction. But that's what I wrote 2 years ago after Russian test skates when nothing was clear and nothing was given:

Outside Medvedeva (who is amazing) no one seems ready among the ladies.

Sackie

Medalist
Men : I predicted Patrick would have a great 4S... and it's one of the most beautiful 4S ever and landed quite regularly for a new quad so I am happy.

mrrice : to me, Patrick is the greatest Canadian Men's Champion already.. 9 titles... that's something... 2 silver medals at olympics + 3 world titles.... never below the top 5 since he has been " a contender" and still improving way past mid twenties, adding new jumps and combos...

let alone, the best interpreter and best pure skater out there.... <3 Patrick

It really is too bad that is has become all about the number of Quads a skater can do in a program that even adds to a skaters PCS marks. It seems the more quads you add the more your PCS jumps. I mean it is great to reward those doing Quads - but reward them for the Quads and not for everything else. And even with the Quads it seems the judges are more willing to give out high GOEs for just OK quads so there is not as big a difference in those doing great Quads. And I think part of the thing with Patrick is that he is not going to add a Quad until he likes it and feels very comfortable with it.

noskates

Record Breaker
Skateluvr - agree with most of your predictions and also agree that if our US skaters can't do it I'm 100% behind the Canadians. It's great to see Daleman doing well - she's a real little fireball. But - I disagree somewhat with your predictions for the US ladies. Maybe it's wishful thinking but I don't think Polina or Mirai will figure into anything. Polina is wrapped up in college and hasn't been able to really recover 100% from her injury. I also don't think Rudi is maybe not the best choice as a coach. (sorry) My money is still on Gracie to prevail. Karen is still inconsistent, has had a couple good skates, but the jury is still out on her in an Olympic year in my mind. Mirai...what more can be said about her. She brings us up on expectations and then crashes us down with poor skates. I'm happy she's landing a 3A but want to see her land it in competition before I get too excited. It's funny how people have totally given up on Gracie but continue to expect Mirai to turn it around and return to her glory days. Still think the dark horse could be someone who hasn't even been in the discussion like Mariah Bell. Haven't mentioned Ashley probably because I think she's already peaked....(maybe not a popular opinion but it's mine.....)

V&M probably have a lock on dance. I still wish the Shibs could be right up there. But mostly I think Cizeron and Papadakis are spectacular and look forward to their programs this year. They're always so inventive and original.

Pairs is an open field as far as I'm concerned with the exception of the Chinese. I don't honestly feel that the US has a pair team that can compete with them on any level. I got lost in YouTube land the other day watching old performances of G&G and there just has never been a pairs team that could come close to them - and still isn't IMO. The tricks are more complex, the jumps are bigger, but for smoothness and 'oneness' there just hasn't been anybody since.

Men - boy howdy! This is going to be a bloodbath in the US and even more so internationally. I sincerely hope Nathan can stay healthy. I love Jason but without the quad we're just going to probably see the best skating performance but not a medal performance (hate to say that) Adam is a crap shoot. Who knows who will show up on the ice. He has it all but needs to lay it down!!! Then you have the Japanese and the Chinese and sheesh..................it's going to be interesting.

I think the GP series is going to be very telling. Who will bring it, who will be injury-free, who the judges like, etc. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Ender

Match Penalty
After 2006, I predicted that Russian ice dance would go down. I didn't expect to be correct.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
iPad died lost the post.im very ill so will just say yeah Enders thenRussian ice dancers don't win like they used to and I guess maybe it is because Marina Zueva and Igor S came here. They are extraordinary coaches and Marina can choreograph well for any discipline.

Personally I hate the over the top dying on ice crazy costume and deference to Russian ice dancers we had under6.0. The new system rewards athletes and skating skills over drama and the cheating in2002 really put Russia under a microscope. Really it took Sochi and some homecooking to get them winning again.

I really don't like the Russian men. Kolyada is clowing a lot and I hate their costumes. I don't like their ice dancers at all right now and no one is comparable in my eye to v/m, p/c or c/b. I think our shibs are adorable but a bit over scored. They are so well liked and we all know that scores. They look identical- and that helps. Good size proportions.

As for pairs I still find the Russians to be the best and Aliona is just still incredible - she is Russian just skates for Germany- I assume she is long a citizen. I like Kanye O'Shea the us team. Hope I didn't screw up the name. I have not reall watched pairs much since Sochi.

I would love to hear what the pairs aficionados hear think of the top six teams in the world and what you predict this coming year for placements.

I have little energy to watch.

I don't even know who won the WTT. I did watch Ashley's sp and thought it her best sp of the season. I am a fan of her long but I hope next year the lp will be more upbeat music as I think she gets more nervy with a slow program like Exogenesis. I was surprised to hear Tara say it was her fave Ashley long. I would love to see her reprise Samson and Delilah or Black Swan.

I read she will be skating to soundtrack from La la land. I watched that movie and I don't recall feeling compelled by the movie or the music. I think this is a mistake but I don't know what cuts or anything. I fully love she will bring back hip hip chin chin. It would please me very much to see Ashley have two clean skates without the nerves. This will be her last hurrah if she makes the Olympic team. She has worked so hard for so long. I'd love to see a medal.

I am terrified for Gracie. I pray she doesn't crash and burn. Her first Olympics was just so good. Given the top three stellar performances by the ladies in 2014 she did so well seemed so confident.

She is angry I think at herself and Frank and the world. Tara is always saying shenskated her best when " mad."

What is Gracie using for music? Does she have a new coach or did she go back to Alex. I'm far behind on the skating world.

Please someone handicap thee top six pairs in the world with your predictions for win place and show!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A few years ago on this board I said that Karen and Nathan were the future of US figure skating. Now that both Chens are US champions going into the Olympic year, I can smugly say "I was right" LOL.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I don't make predictions so my predictions can't come true :biggrin:

Ok ... I did some in prediction thread but I can't find this thread now, I don't remember them either. Sure there are things that we expect and those possibilities that we don't even take as possible or think about them, like two Canadian ladies on the podium in Helsinki. Or such a thunderous return of Sui / Han - with Gold medal from 4CC and from Worlds. People threw doubt whether they'd even show up in any event this season last autumn. I know that they really wanted it and would work hard after Sui recovery to make it ... and they did it!

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I don't make predictions so my predictions can't come true :biggrin:

Ok ... I did some in prediction thread but I can't find this thread now, I don't remember them either. Sure there are things that we expect and those possibilities that we don't even take as possible or think about them, like two Canadian ladies on the podium in Helsinki. Or such a thunderous return of Sui / Han - with Gold medal from 4CC and from Worlds. People threw doubt whether they'd even show up in any event this season last autumn. I know that they really wanted it and would work hard after Sui recovery to make it ... and they did it!

Yes this was the year I became a sui/ Han fan.

Anyone want to discuss the top ranked 6-8 teams in the world and make some guesses about where they could be by next Olympics?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes this was the year I became a sui/ Han fan.

Anyone want to discuss the top ranked 6-8 teams in the world and make some guesses about where they could be by next Olympics?

I'm sure D/R will be happily retired And I'm sure Meagan will have more dogs and still be doing lots of vegan related stuff (maybe try out some coaching since she and Bruno are married?) :) That's the easiest one. The other require me to actually think a bit.

ETA: S/H will probably stay until at least the 2022 games in China. I feel like Aliona will retire after 2018 (Bruno might retire or try to find a new partner), but you never know with her. If T/M are still around near the top - and they are young enough to be - hopefully by then they have better packaging and more interesting programs. Don't know if J/C will stay til then or not, but I think they go past 2018 since they just seem to be coming into their own now. No idea about S/K. It seems like Zhang would be retired by then, but I never know with Chinese pairs, especially with the games in China in 2022. Hopefully Yu is there with him or someone else since she's quite young and a very nice skater. If Seguin and Bilodeau can stay healthy, hopefully they realized their potential, but they do seem to have a lot of injuries. And I'd guess that Dylan retires, but Lubov might stay if she can find another partner to skate with for Canada since she's younger than him. She has such nice positions since she's so flexible, even if the SBS jumps are an issue.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mine wasn't really a prediction. More of a wish that I hope and pray would happen. Which is that Kevin Reynolds gets a spot at Skate America. And he did! That to me proved that miracles do happen. Lol. Because I was basing it off of that in the 7-9 placement at Worlds that 7th place would pick, then 8th, then 9th. And since Jason Brown got 7th, I thought for sure he would get Skate America (Don't get me wrong, Jason is one of my three #1 fave skaters along with Kevin Reynolds and Yuzuru Hanyu, but I've seen Jason skate 3 times, but none yet (But yes once if I go to Skate America plus no WD) for Kevin). I looked at the leftmost side cause I forgot for a bit that Skate America this year was the last GP and not the first. Then I remembered, panned over to the rightmost side, saw his name, let out a shriek, and started shaking in happiness.

I was KINDA predicting that McNamara/Carpenter or the Parsons would get Skate America. Since they both only have one GP spot each as of now, there's a TBD spot for Skate America, AND both assignments are a good bits away from Skate America in terms of recovery from time zones......well I'm 99.99% sure the host spot for Skate America for dance will either go to McNamara/Carpenter or the Parsons. Cause the other top 5 US dance teams already have 2 spots each.

One thing for sure, I DID NOT expect Duhamel/Radford to get Skate America. I mean it was more likely this year since Skate Canada and Skate America are 4 weeks apart from each other. But still.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Please someone handicap thee top six pairs in the world with your predictions for win place and show!

As far as Pairs go, I think Sui/Han are favorites going into the Olympics, but the others at the top are so outstanding that Anything Can Happen (which is true anyway. It's Figure Skating!) I loved Savchenko/Massot's FS this year so much that I wanted to see them win Worlds with it, but S/H skated outstanding. It'll be fierce between those two pairs, I think. One thing to remember is that Aliona seems always to be committed to risking big, with an element that could put her on top. It's admirable, but it doesn't usually work the way she hopes. I think Duhamel/Radford will be a bit on the defensive this coming season. They know that they have to have the tech edge to win Olympics or Worlds, and this year had to be hard on their confidence. But they don't give in! and maybe seeing themselves as underdogs again will work well for them.

I'd love to see Scimeca Knierim/Knierim move up a place or two, and I think it's entirely possible. She'll be gaining strength, and the two of them finally maximized their emotional connection this year. I also love Tarah and Danny, (and yes you said Kanye, the husband of a Kardashian), rather than Kayne. Either they, or Haven and Brandon, whom I also love, would be my best bets for being at Worlds, along with SK/K. It's a good opportunity for our pairs to do better at Worlds, with potentially some pairs pulling out after Oly; and I'm looking forward to that. I dearly look forward to seeing Ashley Cain and Timothy LeDuc on the international circuit, too. I'm torn whether I want them, or K/O, to get Skate America TBD, but on balance I hope K/O get it, as it'll be good for them to be seen by int'l judges as being among US top 3 pairs.

I fully love she will bring back hip hip chin chin. It would please me very much to see Ashley have two clean skates without the nerves.
;
:agree::luv17: I'm really happy Ashley's bringing back HHCC, but I really wouldn't have wanted her to reprise one of her FS too. I fully expect La La Land to surprise and wow the many critics of her FS choice. She and Shae-Lynne are such a great team and I think they're (as we speak, probably) applying great creativity and love to it. I'm hoping LLL will fully utilize Ashley's talent for drama in the program.:drama:

She is angry I think at herself and Frank and the world. Tara is always saying shenskated her best when " mad."

The first time I heard Tara say this was as Adelina Sotnikova took the ice at Sochi. I think Tara's really got something there, and of course we have her testimony that when she got mad, it helped her. I did feel the same thing about Adelina; the Russian fed had gone with Julia over her, and she had something to prove.

However, that feeling and rationale may not work for everyone. I have some doubt that Gracie is the type to get mad. She seems to be more motivated by positive feedback and by focusing on her strengths. Johnny Weir doesn't contradict Tara when she alludes to the power of getting mad, but I have the feeling his experience was different. I remember that he came 6th at 2010 Olympics and 5th at 2006 Olympics, but he was so much happier with his performances and his whole Olympic experience in 2010. It allowed him to go happily to the next stage of his skating life. It's also a great demonstration that for some skaters, placement and results aren't the whole story ... although we had a contrasting example in that competition: for Plushenko, I think placement was the whole point, at that time, at least. But Johnny, to me, seemed less focused on the rivalry between himself and Evan, and thought more about himself and what he could bring. His performances gained power as a result.

But some are very definitely empowered by their frustration/anger. Helps them focus and be more determined.

Gracie is training with Marina, but you probably know this.