Boot advice? | Golden Skate

Boot advice?

Shausi

Spectator
Hey guys,

I have returned to skating after a 3 year break and my old skates (risport rf4s, the names have all changed now but it has a stiffness of 40) are too tight for me now- and slightly broken down. I don't really know what to purchase- should I buy something of the same stiffness or update- as I am hoping to progress further?

I'm contemplating numerous skates, of course I will try them all on:

Risport rf3 pro (they've renamed risport skates again recently)
Risport royal pro
Graf Richmond special
Edea chorus
(These are the main brands stocked in my area, I've always worn risport, and like them a lot, but I have heard Edea and Graf are good- I haven't tried either brands before so I am curious. I have average width feet and don't like jacksons at all.)

I am confused bc I can already land all my singles (bar axel as of now), and intend of getting the axel back and learning doubles, so should I go for the skates above or something less stiff more like the edea overture?
If it helps, I am 5ft5 and 50kg
I intend on starting ice dance as well.

Pretty sure I want coronation ace blades.

Thanks

Last edited:

treesprite

Final Flight
I think you need a minimum stiffness of 65 to be working on anything more than single jumps.

Asking out of curiousity, why would Coronation Ace be your blade preference?

Shausi

Spectator
They just seem to be the blade of choice for everyone at my rink haha, do you think something else would be better? Please let me know!

uhh

Medalist
Hey guys,

I have returned to skating after a 3 year break and my old skates (risport rf4s, the names have all changed now but it has a stiffness of 40) are too tight for me now- and slightly broken down. I don't really know what to purchase- should I buy something of the same stiffness or update- as I am hoping to progress further?

I'm contemplating numerous skates, of course I will try them all on:

Risport rf3 pro (they've renamed risport skates again recently)
Risport royal pro
Graf Richmond special
Edea chorus
(These are the main brands stocked in my area, I've always worn risport, and like them a lot, but I have heard Edea and Graf are good- I haven't tried either brands before so I am curious. I have average width feet and don't like jacksons at all.)

I am confused bc I can already land all my singles (bar axel as of now), and intend of getting the axel back and learning doubles, so should I go for the skates above or something less stiff more like the edea overture?
If it helps, I am 5ft5 and 50kg
I intend on starting ice dance as well.

Pretty sure I want coronation ace blades.

Thanks

I'm about your size, and switched out from Edea Overture when I was still working on singles because they were breaking down too quickly. Chorus would be a better bet for you.

If you're not sure whether to stick with Risports, it is worth trying on the other models just to see how they feel. Edea have more space at the front, particularly compared to Risports which lace up very high, so you have more ankle flex. Graf have a lower heel than Risport of Edea. Can't say what the right one is for you, I'd just suggest going to a good fitter, ask lots of questions, try as much as you can on and go from there.

Shausi

Spectator
I'm about your size, and switched out from Edea Overture when I was still working on singles because they were breaking down too quickly. Chorus would be a better bet for you.

If you're not sure whether to stick with Risports, it is worth trying on the other models just to see how they feel. Edea have more space at the front, particularly compared to Risports which lace up very high, so you have more ankle flex. Graf have a lower heel than Risport of Edea. Can't say what the right one is for you, I'd just suggest going to a good fitter, ask lots of questions, try as much as you can on and go from there.
Ooh thanks so much for your help! I will definitely try everything on and not buy anything until I'm 100% sure! But I've ruled out the overtures thanks to you. Thank you again!

treesprite

Final Flight
They just seem to be the blade of choice for everyone at my rink haha, do you think something else would be better? Please let me know!

I tend to stick with Jackson boots, so I am not familiar enough with the models of other brands to comment on them. However, if you prefer a boot that has suitable support for your level yet feels softer, and don't have any sort of foot anomolies, get Edeas.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think you need a minimum stiffness of 65 to be working on anything more than single jumps.
Remember, there is no industry standard for boot stiffness. You can use it to compare the stiffness of boots for a single manufacturer, but not for different manufacturers. That is, a Riedell 65 may be as stiff, less stiff, or more stiff than an Edea 65. Even within a single manufacturer's line, it's not clear how the stiffness ratings are scaled (e.g., is an 80 twice as stiff as a 40?; if so, by what criteria?).

Shausi

Spectator
I tend to stick with Jackson boots, so I am not familiar enough with the models of other brands to comment on them. However, if you prefer a boot that has suitable support for your level yet feels softer, and don't have any sort of foot anomolies, get Edeas.

Yeah my feet are basically average, very slightly narrow and a little arched. I haven't tried edeas before but I'm defineltely interested in them bc I've heard such good things about them, especially short break in time- which is not the case with risports. What blade would you recommend for me?

JSM

On the Ice
The Coronation Ace is a good standard blade that many skaters use through their double jumps, so I think your original intentions to go with them would be fine!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Go try on all of your choices and see which you like the best with the input of a pro skate fitter/tech.

Also, Coronation Ace or Coronation Comet for blade.

jf12

Final Flight
This might not be what most people do - but as an adult starter, I made the switch from the blades that came with Jackson Freestyles, which were low end blades, right to Pattern 99s after I got all my singles up to single lutz. I decided on higher end blades because I did not want to have to continually adjust to a new blades as I got better, and the cost is less of an issue if your feet aren't growing and you will get maximum use out of them. I am now working on 2f and 2lz and I'm still in P99.

Unlike over booting it's very difficult to overblade. I wouldn't recommend a beginner to get gold seals but if you had your axel and already have your singles back, it is an option if you like to get higher end blades than the Coronation ace.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Coronation Ace is a good blade. I would not recommend the Coronation Comet if you plan to do any spinning. The Coronation Comet has the flattest rocker of any figure skating blade at 8.5' so you may have a hard time staying off your bottom pick.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The comet does have the 8.5" rocker but its highly recommended blade for your skill group and will make learning your toe jumps alot easier. My advice is to pick a blade you are going to be comfortable with. :)

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Coronation Ace is a good blade. I would not recommend the Coronation Comet if you plan to do any spinning. The Coronation Comet has the flattest rocker of any figure skating blade at 8.5' so you may have a hard time staying off your bottom pick.
But 8.5 ft is the radius of the main rocker. Good freestyle blades have at least two rockers: the main rocker and the spin rocker (immediately behind the picks); some have an intermediate rocker. The spin rocker will be dispositive in spinning and pick clearance.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The comet does have the 8.5" rocker but its highly recommended blade for your skill group and will make learning your toe jumps alot easier. My advice is to pick a blade you are going to be comfortable with. :)
Ah, but you don't know what you're comfortable with until you try it. Unfortunately, most of us don't have the luxury of buying an assortment of blades and picking the one we like best. Also, with any boot or blade, it takes a while to get used to it.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ah, but you don't know what you're comfortable with until you try it. Unfortunately, most of us don't have the luxury of buying an assortment of blades and picking the one we like best. Also, with any boot or blade, it takes a while to get used to it.

You can trial blades from the company, you know. There are many skate pros/techs that will let you do this.

My point of my post was more that if they are comfortable with a 7 inch rocker then to stick with that.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
How do you go about doing that because I have never heard of anyone doing that?

There are blade companies that will let you do that. (FWIW-Some will even let you return blades that you don't like and have been gently used and not perm mounted).

Then again, you may have to be a certain level.

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
There are blade companies that will let you do that. (FWIW-Some will even let you return blades that you don't like and have been gently used and not perm mounted).

Then again, you may have to be a certain level.
I'm trying to understand your experiences. Wilson and MK are the entrenched market stalwarts. In order to get their foot in the door, some more recent blade manufacturers have a money-back trial period: if you don't like the blades, you can return them within the trial period (fine print applies). But are you saying that if I can't decide between a Coronation Ace or a Coronation Comet or a Gold Seal or a Pattern 99, there are shops that will order them in my size, let me skate on them, and then let me pick the one I like best (or none of the above)? Or is this a privilege reserved for national and international champions whose endorsements are sought after?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm trying to understand your experiences. Wilson and MK are the entrenched market stalwarts. In order to get their foot in the door, some more recent blade manufacturers have a money-back trial period: if you don't like the blades, you can return them within the trial period (fine print applies). But are you saying that if I can't decide between a Coronation Ace or a Coronation Comet or a Gold Seal or a Pattern 99, there are shops that will order them in my size, let me skate on them, and then let me pick the one I like best (or none of the above)? Or is this a privilege reserved for national and international champions whose endorsements are sought after?

I only wear the best, that's the extent of what I'm going to say about this other than this has nothing to do with endorsements, although as I've previously said it may have something to do with skating skill level.

Last edited: