Info needed: MK "AB Special" Blades | Golden Skate

Info needed: MK "AB Special" Blades

treesprite

Final Flight
Does anyone know anything about this discontinued blade model? Like, what type of skating or skill level are they for, and what the rocker size is (i.e., 8 ft or 7 ft)? I sent an e-mail to the manufacturer, but it no response.

I found a pair on eBay advertized as "used once", with a starting bid of 99 cents. The seller didn't respond to my question and the auction was about to be over, so I bid and won the auction for only 1.25 (plus 14.00 for shipping). I figured, if it turns out the blades are useless to me, it's a minimal loss.

What I am hoping is that they are suitable for freestyle and have a 7 ft rocker.

treesprite

Final Flight
After searching for a couple days, right after I posted the thread I found a reference from this year of someone using Reidell Royals with these blades. So, I know they are for what I need, but I need to know the rocker size... I only want 7 ft rockers.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
After searching for a couple days, right after I posted the thread I found a reference from this year of someone using Reidell Royals with these blades. So, I know they are for what I need, but I need to know the rocker size... I only want 7 ft rockers.

Ask Riedell? Their customer service people should be able to tell you.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My suggestion is to contact MK and ask them.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
As I said in the original post, they have not responded.

I once contacted Wilson (owned by the same company as MK) for info on a current product. They did answer ... after a month. If MK needs to root through their archives for info on a discontinued product, may take longer.

jf12

Final Flight
Now that you have the blades anyway, you can trace the rocker on a piece of paper and compare them with other blades you have that have a known rocker. Also if you take them to your sharpener they might be able to measure the rocker with any tools they might have.

treesprite

Final Flight
They haven't come yet.

Most skate techs haven't been around long enough to know. I know someone who probably would, but he is very hard to reach. He isn't taking any appointments now for anything, and keeps going on trips, so he is not really answering his emails either.... it might be weeks before I get a response from him.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
They haven't come yet.

Most skate techs haven't been around long enough to know. I know someone who probably would, but he is very hard to reach. He isn't taking any appointments now for anything, and keeps going on trips, so he is not really answering his emails either.... it might be weeks before I get a response from him.

Well, since you're adamant that you only want a 7 foot rocker, you presumably know how one feels, so if you can't get the information indirectly, just mount them when you get them and try them out.

treesprite

Final Flight
Why would someone change their blades just to see how they feel?

I finally got the information. They are the same as MK Phantoms, but with dance toe picks. It hadn't even occurred to me that they might be dance blades. They have a 7 ft rocker, but the toe picks will be too small for toe assisted jumps.

So, I will either save them away or sell them. I have enough info on them now to post a proper ad for what they are (which is dance blades), unlike the info-deficient ad that led me to them.

vlaurend

Final Flight
I was staring at those toepicks and trying to remember where I'd seen picks with a decent sized bottom pick but tiny master pick. . . Yes, dance blades, LOL!

treesprite

Final Flight
Given that I am now officially working on jumps again, I need the spikes :) When I started skating again (not counting rink guarding), I wasn't totally sure that I wanted to do jumps again, but they are so hard to resist. Gotta have toe picks!

njanderton

Given that I am now officially working on jumps again, I need the spikes :) When I started skating again (not counting rink guarding), I wasn't totally sure that I wanted to do jumps again, but they are so hard to resist. Gotta have toe picks!
Did you ever get your AB SPECIALS? Obviously a number of years ago now … I’m old. Hoping to skate again before I turn 80. I loved my AB Specials, just need to find some boots to remount them on. Looking for a pair of broken in SP Teri’s size 7.

Trensharo

Rinkside
Did you ever get your AB SPECIALS? Obviously a number of years ago now … I’m old. Hoping to skate again before I turn 80. I loved my AB Specials, just need to find some boots to remount them on. Looking for a pair of broken in SP Teri’s size 7.
Need to know width for SP Teri. May have a pair I could send you.