christinaskater

Medalist
SP:
1.Rachmaninoff US Nationals 1998.
2. Romanza Worlds 1996
3. East of Eden 2001 US Nationals

LP:
1. Concerto de Aranjuez - 2003 US Nationals and Worlds
- this performance along with Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao- Nessun Dorma are 2 of the great drag
Skates I've ever seen.
2. Song of the Black Swan-2001 Worlds/ Lyra Angelica 1998 Nationals- they're tied!
3. Salome 1996 Worlds- Queen Kwan.
4. The Red Violin 2000 Worlds- Kwan in her technical finest . The Queen responds to all her critics and silences them with this stupendous performance
5. Tosca US Nationals
6. Arianne - World Professional Championships

mrrice

Record Breaker
It's very close between her 2000 and 2001 programs. I think It's probably her Red Violin LP from Worlds. She had just lost the GPF to Irina and placed behind Maria B. and Irina in the qualifying round at Worlds in 2000. She was 3rd and well behind Defending Champion Maria Butyrskaya who had won the SP and the qualifying round. Had she not delivered a perfect program, there is no way the judges would have held her up. I place 2003 3rd because the pressure was somewhat off of Michelle that year. Irina wasn't there and Sarah was out of shape and did not skate well. Sasha made a weird mistake and finished 4th. Elena Sokolova and Fumie were silver and bronze......

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Hand down for me it was Taj Mahal. The choreography was so detailed and she really brought the character to life. It's best outing, imho, was skate America 1996:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=595XtQCLLsc

Jeezus! I can't believe that was more than 20 years ago :eekn:

How cute was that interview........."Nothing's different, I'm just the World Champion now." It's too bad she had boot problems as I remember being shocked at her performance at Nationals that year. I was very happy to see her skate well at World in 1997. She lost to Tara but I think her strong showing in the LP gave her a boost of confidence going into the next season.

20 years ago!!!! I feel like father time right now.....:drama:

Last edited:

amc987

On the Ice
My favorite SPs are Rachmaninoff ('97-'98 version; I liked it much less in '02) and East of Eden. My favorite LPs are Song of the Black Swan, Lyra Angelica, and Tosca.

arewhyaen

On the Ice
Short Programs (SO many to choose from)

1. 1998 Rach. The transitions (before the skating world even cared about transitions!), the technicality, the pure joy she exuded. This is perhaps one of my favorite non-skating moves ever.

2. 2001 East of Eden. I think Peggy put it best, "this choreography by Lori Nichol is just bigger than life"

3. 2005 Spartacus. I think it's more impressive considering its toward the tail-end of her career. The moment she hit that spiral, it was just breathtaking. And that circular footwork sequence, my god, it showed a sensuality that we don't normally see from Michelle. It was great.

Honorable Mention: 2003 The Feeling Begins

Long Programs
1. 2001 Song of the Black Swan. I'd call it the last of Michelle's truly artistic programs. Don't get me wrong 2002-2005 produced some magic, but they were all reincarnations of the same program. 2001 gave us dramatic, rarely-used music, gorgeous choreography, and technical soundness. Many say 1998 was the Michelle's peak, I say worlds 2001 was Michelle at her peak.

2. 1998 Lyra Angelica. The program still has the ability to just make me feel like I'm floating. A truly iconic program.

3. 1996 Salome. 3 words: drama, Drama, DRAMA. The beginning of an era for many of us Michelle fans.

Honorable Mention: 2004 Tosca

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've always loved East of Eden, and her 2001 Nats SP is stunning. Love at the end where she is spinning with her hands clasped behind her back. The whole thing seems so effortless and has such flow! :jaw:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Short program:

1. 1998 US Nationals - Rachmaninoff
  2. 1996 Worlds - Romanza
  3. 1997 US Nationals - Dream of Desdemona

Honorable mention: 2003 Worlds - The Feeling Begins

Free skate:

1. 1998 US Nationals - Lyra Angelica / Different angle & no commentary
  2. 1996 Worlds - Salome
  3. 1996 Skate America - Taj Mahal

Honorable mention: 2001 Worlds - Song of the Black Swan

I realized that my top 3 for each segment are all from 1995-1998, which I chose primarily for their choreography. If I chose programs based on audience reaction alone I probably would've picked some like 2004 US Nationals Tosca, 2005 US Nationals Spartacus, or 2003 Worlds Aranjuez. She truly was one of a kind. :love:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Salome in 1996 because it marked the transition from the ponytailed kid the year before into a sophisticated and maturing young lady and really showed her ability to portray a dramatic character. I felt there was also a certain freedom about her then because there wasn't the full weight of expectation and pressure that would come in later years.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Salome! - 1996 Worlds Lyra Angelica a close second! We got to see Michelle @ 1998 US Nationals - just brilliant!

For SP - Rach, Romanza, East of Eden, The Feeling Begins

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Definitely ANY time she skated to East of Eden. The music is haunting and beautiful and the choreography was just perfect. Her facial expressions and her emotions were right there with the music.

Uhhhhh - that would be Oprah Winfrey she received the honorary degree with.

meem

On the Ice
Definitely:

SP - East of Eden (noskates described it perfectly)

LP - Salome (lyverbird1 described it perfectly)

Tallorder

On the Ice
The sheer grit it took to pull of both programs at 1998 given her stress fracture, and to display that with such effervescence in the free skate in particular. Above and beyond. Ethereal.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Song of the Black Swan ex aequo with Concierto de Aranjuez. :drama:

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For technical merit: The Red Violin at 2000 Worlds. For presentation: Tosca, 2004 Nationals, Aranjuez, 2003 Nationals and Worlds, East of Eden, 1998 World Pro, Lyra Angelica, 1998 Nationals, Rach3 1998 Nationals, others too numerous to mention.
Favorite short programs: Romanza, The Feeling Begins, Spartacus (Nationals version), Rach3 1998 version, East of Eden, 2001 Nationals
Underrated programs: Lamento D'Ariane, Dream of Desdemona, Taj Mahal
Exhibitions: East of Eden at 1996 Worlds, Reflection from Mulan (not sure what event this was at), Fields of Gold, One More Time (actually a cheesefest competitive program), The World is Not Enough (original Bond girl)
Favorite young Michelle: Rondo Capriciosso, 1995 Worlds, Salome and Romanza, 1996 Worlds

Last edited: