Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Thread: Repeating Programs - Pros and Cons

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset skylark's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    Ashley is my favourite american Lady and I want to see her at the Olympic Games. I just wasn't feeling it yesterday. Of course, she got an amazing response from the audience because she is really good at selling Moulin Rouge, whether it is perfect or not. Still not a fan of the repeat. *sigh*
    Well, we can't help how we feel. I wasn't trying to change your opinion. Just pointing out that many people in the audience must have felt the way I did ... felt the magic, the passion, and especially the conviction in Ashley's skating.

OTOH, I don't feel the magic of Kaetlyn Osmond's SP as I did before. But I'm open to this changing as the season goes on. As for Yuzuru's repeats, I don't feel the magic yet but I fully expect to later. The only thing I wish he would change back is his original spread eagles in and out of the 3A in the Chopin, which I still think is sublime.

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset skylark's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by macy View Post
    the part when the music builds at the end of the program is EVERYTHING. her charlotte spiral sends chills up my spine every single time she could fall on every jump and that last section would still kill me.
    Thrills and chills. That's what it gives me, too. The way the emotion builds over that final part is fabulous.

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    I think it gives a Skater an unfair advantage to keep repeating programs. They don't have to learn anything new and can keep practicing the same old thing to perfection. Nor is it very creative. I think they should not be allowed to keep repeating programs, like how many times has Ashely Wagner used her long program? Or at least they should be dinged for it, points deducted every time they use an old program.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbit1234 View Post
    If ISU is thinking about the popularity of figure skating, the Repeating Programs should prepare rules to deduct.
    Otherwise, we will have to look at Katarina Witt's Carmen composed of 3S, 3T every year.
    If you do not have a rule, the competitor who received the evaluation will only have to perform the same program every year.
    The competitor should be scored that it can handle various music.
    In a way, high-quality judges should able to judge these themselves without these explicit stated in the rule. Things like creativity, originality, risk-taking, new artistic challenges are unquantifiable, abstracted but critical components in judging artistry. There are those who continue to take advantage of same or similar music edits that suited to their skating style instead of developing different styles to interpret and expresses different music undertaking. These are very different efforts and standards of excellence, and should be acknowledged more in the judge's marks, certainly more than mere 0.25 points whatever that means.

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8's View Post
    I think it gives a Skater an unfair advantage to keep repeating programs. They don't have to learn anything new and can keep practicing the same old thing to perfection. Nor is it very creative. I think they should not be allowed to keep repeating programs, like how many times has Ashely Wagner used her long program? Or at least they should be dinged for it, points deducted every time they use an old program.

I fully agree.
    For Repeating Programs, if there are no deductive rules, many competitors will only receive that advantage.
    That's why, in this season many competitors are using Repeating Programs.
    I think that is not a fair competition.

Bona Fide Member

2 Not allowed!
    For me, the biggest danger is if your repeat program doesn't live up to what you performed previously. Sure, you can add more complex transitions and choreography, but if the delivery of the technical elements is subpar then the overall impression is worse because we have seen the program performed better in the past.

Bona Fide Member

4 Not allowed!
    Sometimes, re-using a program is like repeating a Halloween costume: no matter how well-executed it is, we can't help but we're a little less thrilled because we've seen it before.

Happy Halloween, Golden Skaters!!!

4 Not allowed!
    I couldn't make my mind up to now but after watching two GPs I am now convinced that the 're-users' have done themselves no favours . If I were a judge I would take a point or two off PCS. I found myself half yawning through old programs, even the best skated of all - Kaetlyn's SP at SC - as great as it was on this occasion the trouble is I know it so well it falls flat which is a pity...

Tripping on the Podium

1 Not allowed!
    It's Olympics, no time for experiments or unknowns. Whatever makes you win goes. It's sports, just like ski jumping or swimming, not any "artiste" statements.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Realistically, the only disadvantage a re-used program will have is the not quite quantifiable loss of "impression" marks. But that may be balanced out by well-executed content, as opposed to potential mistakes due to the energy split by attention to new choreography and music. But all this is hypothetical. We won't know how really things would've been different had a skater made a different decision.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    I distinctly remember Dick Button, during a competition broadcast, saying repetition didn't go over well with the judges. He offered no explanation beyond that. But that was long ago and maybe things have changed.....and maybe they haven't. lol Why doesn't someone ask some judges how they view the situation. My feeling is that you have a somewhat unfair advantage in that the skater has had a much longer time to master the program and work out the kinks.

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40