Repeating Programs - Pros and Cons | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Repeating Programs - Pros and Cons

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Okay, apologies for the long response to GKelly. Please skip if you dislike art theory/ideologists like me to rant about COP again!! ( Haven't done one of those for a while... here goes...)

The elite standard of anything demands elite quality of judging like anything to do with the optimum peaks of human possibilities. It is the degree of details that separate them. Such was the purpose of COP to identify varying degrees of qualities for proportional rewards. As such, every detail should matter, and be accurately rewarded in relative terms. Otherwise, laziness and ineptitude can be passed as the gold standard (and I'd argue, often does, as the judges are not held to accountability, especially under the NEW ISU rule where their opinion can not be challenged however wrong or human error prone it maybe.)

PCS being capped is the reason to scrutinise over the penalties, as it is necessary to appropriate scoring gaps to separate artistic endeavours to the technical ones to reward different things for different skaters between different programs/performances. To answer your question, I believe PCS should be rewarded based on what the skaters did on the day vs what others did on the day - however, judges have historically proven to be heavily influenced by the previous scoring, hence the adaptation of narrow corridor of judging to minimise discrepancies. It is nevertheless the primary reasons for inflation and why PCS rarely comes down unless there are massive discrepancies in the technical delivery.... or/and in some cases, it doesn't come down at all even when tech visibly fails, and in fact, goes up to save the skater placements. I have always wondered how dysfunctional the uncapped TES can balance with the capped PCS, when they are supposed to make up to 2 halves of COP, especially when the skater is used to establish higher PCS in a relatively weak field early in the season, do they still deserve them in a much stronger field towards the later season under a capped system?

The bottom line is: I don't think I am asking a lot. If technical difficulty is greatly rewarded under TES, then why can't artistic difficulty be properly rewarded under PCS?

A lot of your perspective seems to stem from the fact, high level judging is impractical to apply at all levels due to a, b, c, d, but that should not negate the argument on how things ought to be and 'should be'. Also, I have always believed at the Olympic level, it simply requires more strict and studied approach to score from the norm that is not applicable to unknown skaters at local/regional competitions. Figure skating is a complex multi-faceted sport with huge learning curves. You wouldn't apply the same Junior high school test criterias to someone who is studying for their post doctorate, would you? A quad these days is worth well over 10+ point (actually even a good 3A is worth more than 10 points). Do you not think the effort to do something risky, original, creative, which all adds to artistic difficulty should not be worth at least an 8 or a 3A difference? I would actually argue it should be worth more; when it is essentially the foundation of all program components are built upon. The effort and ambition alone is hugely important in the artistic difficulty of anything.

Just because Robert De Niro excelled at acting intense and crazy and got an OSCAR for it, does that mean he deserves an Oscar every time he acts intense and crazy doing the same critically acclaimed performance? Why not? Because it is the nature of artistic value to not reward repeated performances/successes, even commercially viable, and 'yes' entertaining' ones. Otherwise, Javier should just stick with Black Betty forever, and Patrick on Elegie in E Flat Minor forever. It will make their life so much easier.

By the way, I fundamentally disagree figure skating programs requires to be 'entertaining'. Instead, they should be judged on the quality of delivery of key concepts, artistic ambitions, and the processes of getting there: how visible and well thought out they are, acknowledging and understanding of source material, decisions on why and how to they make it uniquely true to the performer and success on deliverying the intention of the program.

To me, the general audience's inability to understand should not be as important as an EDUCATED audience's ability to be informed, challenged, and to appreciate any difficult/unfamiliar theme. It is the difference between a professional judge in an art competition vs. a general audience's view: an informed opinion and an educated estimate. Popularity has little place in the artistic value of anything. For the same reason why blockbuster movies generally don't receive art awards, but smaller films that tackle difficult unfamiliar subjects, take risks, push boundaries, attempt transcendence and braving experimentation usually does. Those who dare breaking perceptions, venture out to gain new insights and develop their own opinions are highly prized in the field of the arts. Otherwise, everyone should just stick with happy and obvious Chaplin/love/sad tragic miming programs forever. And the best Oscar should never have gone to the likes of Moonlight, but the popular Iron man or the Fast and Furious series.

Finally, the physical, emotional and intellectual challenges of the new programs are infinitely harder to realise, which are recognisable qualities stated under the PCS criteria, which requires greater difficulty and sensitivity to undertake therefore deserving to be valued as much as a difficult technical element. Otherwise, under a capped system, it would handicap those who bothered to develop new programs, learn new routines, take risks for the purpose of a competition, when everyone is supposed to be equal terms and start from 'ground zero'. New choreography, newly designed movements with unfamiliar rhythmic changes, challenging music vs a steady, slow and familiar rhythmic ones should also worth more also, but does not seem to be reflected in the current scoring system.

I do have to add... it is possible to have newly improved choreography to the same music edit, and if it does, it should be recognised in the marking, but if the opposite of dilute choreography for the sake of jumping /scoring like some of Nathen's early efforts, then the lesser artistic merit should be reflected in the scoring. In other words, everyone is welcome to skate to Carmen - as long as they can truly own an original, innovative and highly personalised unique version of Carmen like Tessa/Scott has done, then there should always be room for Carmen.

(okay i outdid myself... carry on.)
:laugh:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Tell that to anyone who has ever had to memorize new choreography and every little nuance in a new piece of music, as well as figure out how to most effectively present and interpret the theme of a particular piece.

I guess learning the Prince SP for Yuzuru was soooooooooooo easy and not at all a challenge.
No, not a challenge, sorry, I don't buy this for a task hard to achieve. Most of the time skaters just dust off all the tricks deep in the season just in order to perform the planned content because it all that matters nowadays in Top Men's field. Sad but true. Those who combine it with a great presentation are a rare find but then these are those who tend to achieve it almost all the time, naturally.
I'd like to add something: I do not consider new choreo and music as a challenge but as a tool to achieve better performance.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I agree with you on the most of what you have said here but let me ask you this: why new program is exactly a challenge, an artistical challenge? Do they choose to perform to a music style that is very unusual, alien to them? Skaters don't experiment like that. You need to like the peice you are skating to- you'll have to listen to it so many times that it shouldn't drive you crazy. And it should help a skater to achieve his or her sport goals. So honestly- new program and new music (to me) is not a challenge, especially in Olympic season when everyone wants to portray the best version of themselves using the music that would serve this matter. Everyone is playing safe, just check the music that has been already declared by all top skaters in all disciplines. It's the technical aspect that would be a challenge for all of them with no exception.

New music and new programs are a challenge. It takes a lot more effort and is a lot riskier to try something new than to go with something that's tried and tested and true. With a new piece, you don't know how it will be received, and in an Olympic season that can be a daunting challenge that many skaters back away from, so they revert to past program(s) they're comfortable with.

Maybe it's just me, but the Olympics are special, and I always appreciate and respect skaters who make the effort to present something fresh/novel for the occasion, i.e. a) choose new program(s) that they haven't already been done before, and b) avoid pieces of music that have already been done to death (warhorses) at the Olympics. Both are perceived as "playing it safe" (or playing it smart, if you want to call it that)... and it is. You could argue that those repeating programs aren't playing it safe if you're upgrading elements - but you can also present these upgraded elements in a new program, too.

Referring to an earlier comment, I don't think Hanyu is "shook" by his opponents progressing and adding quads... but reverting back to two tried and tested programs certainly tells me he's being ultra-careful; we know he is able to create and present a new program(s), however it doesn't have the familiarity nor the comfort in knowing the audiences have already liked it/judges have scored it well. He is aware that the others have caught up, and now is not the time to experiment.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
If technical difficulty is greatly rewarded under TES, then why can't artistic difficulty be properly rewarded?
What is artistic difficulty? We are not talking about actual acting here, not like we are going to reward some kind of an Oscar to the skaters, are we?
Like- it was hard for him to create the image of Carmen because he is naturally Jose or what? I am not mocking you- I just... sorry, I can't be serious about this. I think it is getting out of proportion already.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Referring to an earlier comment, I don't think Hanyu is "shook" by his opponents progressing and adding quads... but reverting back to two tried and tested programs certainly tells me he's being ultra-careful; we know he is able to create and present a new program(s), however it doesn't have the familiarity nor the comfort in knowing the audiences have already liked it/judges have scored it well. He is aware that the others have caught up, and now is not the time to experiment.
You know, just after reading all the disappointed comments I can't even imagine the amount of dismay his choice had already created. I don't envy him, he will be double judged for every little mistake he would make. Just imagine entering the ice with all the preconception and skepticism in the air... Is that easy?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
New music and new programs are a challenge. It takes a lot more effort and is a lot riskier to try something new than to go with something that's tried and tested and true. With a new piece, you don't know how it will be received, and in an Olympic season that can be a daunting challenge that many skaters back away from, so they revert to past program(s) they're comfortable with.

Which is why skaters generally don't take risk in the Olympic season. Some of them do experiment and take great risk in other seasons.

Maybe it's just me, but the Olympics are special, and I always appreciate and respect skaters who make the effort to present something fresh/novel for the occasion, i.e. a) choose new program(s) that they haven't already been done before, and b) avoid pieces of music that have already been done to death (warhorses) at the Olympics. Both are perceived as "playing it safe" (or playing it smart, if you want to call it that)... and it is. You could argue that those repeating programs aren't playing it safe if you're upgrading elements - but you can also present these upgraded elements in a new program, too.

The Olympic audience is not the same as the usual audience. It's is huge and global. The event and winning it carry a great historical prestige. And any program is fresh to this audience.

Hanyu's decision means one thing to me, which is that he's determined to win the OGM. He may repeat the programs for safety and as an advantage even if he ups the ante technically. Or he may have a special, even spiritual, connection to the music, especially Seimei, so he may change the music cuts and much of the choreography and still keep that connection and mental comfort. In either case, he wants to be comfortable skating to them and hopefully be in that winning zone. He wants that OGM.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
You know, just after reading all the disappointed comments I can't even imagine the amount of dismay his choice had already created. I don't envy him, he will be double judged for every little mistake he would make. Just imagine entering the ice with all the preconception and skepticism in the air... Is that easy?

Well, had he decided to only repeat one program, then he'd only be single judged. :biggrin:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

By whom? Fans' opinions will have no bearing whatsoever on his Olympic placement. As well, every skater is "doubly judged" but as such a popular skater, Hanyu has many more supporters than critics.

chillgil

Match Penalty
I don't think anyone here has questioned Hanyu's artistic integrity or accused him of laziness. You're making that up out of thin air.

I'm curious as to how many people lauding Hanyu for his programs choices this season how ever dragged Javier for his use of many character-themed programs.....

:rolleye:

Kinda lazy, but I'm okay with it. Skaters have been doing this for decades. As long as it's a new, fresh take on it with a new costume, then it's fine. Skaters work really hard, and programs are expensive. Fans who think they're owed two new masterpieces every year need to calm down.

And I really, really dislike it when top skaters have a habit of recycling. It gives the impression that the skater is very limited artistically and a bit of a one-trick pony.

My feeling is that repeating a program is lazy

I can. I can blame him for, in fact, not being a gutsy, original, artistic leader of the sport. Seimei is a great program. I would reuse it if I were him. It is the best thing he has ever done, IMO, which is sadly a quite limited repertoire for someone who has been in the sport this long. But combining it with Chopin for the third season. Nope. No forgiveness there.

Repeating one program is already bad enough but repeating 2 is just poor.\

As such, anything existing, routine, tried, tested, repeated can be considered as unoriginal, uncreative similar to manufactured goods, therefore of less artistic value.

If Yuzu wants to step away from challenging himself and pushing the sport artistically, fine. That's his prerogative, and he doesn't owe us anything. But we shouldn't pretend that he's not taking the easy way out.

Again, I am only trying to make the point that, in this instance, Hanyu is indeed taking the easy way out.

"taking the easy way out" is another way of saying lazy by the way

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
What is artistic difficulty? We are not talking about actual acting here, not like we are going to reward some kind of an Oscar to the skaters, are we?
Like- it was hard for him to create the image of Carmen because he is naturally Jose or what? I am not mocking you- I just... sorry, I can't be serious about this. I think it is getting out of proportion already.

Performance art is Arrrrt daahling ;)

Why do you think Hanyu loves Seimei so much, because he really pushes, commits and developed his program personally and organically, hence an argument of deserving high PCS at its debut despite the steady and easy rhythmic build up, and slow first half which musically makes it easier to interpret, never mind he technically jammed with quads and transitions later on.

Hanyu for me used to be the perfect balance of artistic and technical skater, but with this season's decision, it seems he decidedly wanting to become a Plushy more than anyone else. It is all about Olympic quads gold baby!! He really upgraded the game with Nathen and Boyang going all quads.

BTW at least my opinion hasn't changed through out the years regardless of the skater. I am just not a fan of repeated programs, however successful and brilliant they are the first time, whoever is to perform them. With exceptions to deserving revivals with a huge gap of years in between, then it makes sense, such as with Romeo 2011 version.

R&J 2011 (not the DWilson one) is an exception, because it was his junior/senior transition program, a most brilliant eye opening emotional program where 6 years later, there could be a lot of scopes to grow to develop and evolve, now he has the stamina and the fire power to bring out a more emotional mature epic version of R&J. The thought he can work on it with his formal sensei Nanami Abe also warms the heart (with tweaks by saying JButtle or Shaelyn), and endear him to his old fans.

Think: The ultimate and greatest heart stirring Romeo of all time. It would be THE iconic Romeo to the likes of Katerina Witt's Carmen at the Olympics.

Now instead, we are just going to put up Seimei exercising some demons with 5 quads attempt (which may not be a bad thing, but just less of an artistic one)

You know, it is perfectly possible to take things easy artistically while making it more difficult technically.

Just as the opposite end of the spectrum, aka Kostner's approach to her WC gold, making it easier technically but emphasis her efforts on improving and develop her skating artistically.

There's no right or wrong way to approach, it is just personal preferences, and whether they can satisfy their personal goals. In this case, it is the Olympic gold at stake and a place in the history books.

There is a balance and equilibrium to everything... one always impact another. You can't have all the cake and eat it too. Otherwise, the Nathens and Boyangs will demand high PCS for acing their quads.

beki

Medalist
What does the system reward? That's what the skaters react to. That's where we need to look, instead of at individuals. They're only case studies. He experimented last year and generally wasn't rewarded for it, so... PCS has evolved into a weird technical/artistic hybrid used for ranking and political purposes. I don't think it is any less arbitrary than 6.0 scores and ordinals. And there isn't a rule against repeating more than once, it was only a norm. I don't like to see so much repetition, but enforcing a rule change would open a whole other can of worms.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
R&J 2011 (not the DWilson one) is an exception, because it was his junior/senior transition program, a most brilliant eye opening emotional program where 6 years later, there could be a lot of scopes to grow to develop and evolve, now he has the stamina and the fire power to bring out a more mature epic version of R&J. The thought he can be working on it with his formal sensei Nanami Abe also warms the heart (with tweaks by saying JButtle or Shaelyn), and endear him to his old fans.

Think: The ultimate and greatest heart stirring Romeo of all time. It would be THE iconic Romeo to the likes of Katerina Witt's Carmen at the Olympics.

Now instead, we are just going to put up Seimei exercising some demons with 5 quads attempt (which might not be a bad thing, but just less of an artistically relevant one)

I adore Yuzuru's Debut R&J, it made me a fan of Yuzuru and until Seimei came around was my favourite program of his. I strongly disagree though, that this is a program he should ever repeat. It worked because it was so raw and wild, because Yuzuru was 16, he became that Romeo from the Baz Luhrmann movie. Now, he's frankly too old, imho. The character of Romeo is not about maturity. It only works because Romeo & Juliet are so young. Even R&J 2.0 was a mistake, as it didn't have the power and charme of the first one. Seimei is different as it's not about teenage love, and this magical character is a mature adult.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I just think a lot of these arguments are interesting because I doubt it was only the jumps that made people big fans of Yuzuru in the first place but the artistry (this only applies to arguments that say artistry doesn't matter or a variation thereof). Anyway, I think a lot of this will quiet down once the season starts and we have 6 consecutive weeks of GPs and then GPF and then Nationals and then the Olympics. Plus, if Yuzuru simply skates well, I bet we'll all be pleased with the programs. Some of the best championship-winning performances I could think of were won with repeated programs. And some times after a GP season of a new routine, fans are relieved when a skater returns to an old, well-received program.

Mrs. P, I think in the past using the same program was more common because 60% of the score was figures at the time, and the athletes were true amateur athletes so they were not allowed to make any money for their skating. It helped cut back on costs, but I'm sure the program had some changes after years of performing it. I also think that there were a lot less competitions back then as there weren't like six or seven events skaters did in one season as there is now. So, say a skater back then creates a program on the second year of the 4-year Olympic cycle, and does the same routine up to the Olympics. They could potentially have only performed that routine in major competition like 6-9 times within 3 years as opposed to 1 year like it happens now. So maybe people weren't as tired of a program if they repeated. Even up to the early to mid-90s, we saw a few more skaters repeat programs because they didn't have a GP series (just fall internationals that they may have done) and some times their first international competition would be at Europeans (for European skaters and non-Europeans didn't have Four Continents yet). Even if they did Skate America/Canada, it would be almost three months in-between that and Europeans.

Of course, in some of the earlier years, it may be argued that it was less about the program and more about the skating in that the program was just a means to show off the skating whereas now skaters are sort of expected to not only have a vehicle to show off their skating and technical content but also have a real artistic statement and make a program that in of itself is a great product. There are always exceptions of course.

With all of that said, ice dancers almost NEVER repeated programs, and when they did it was like admitting defeat and it sort of reflected in the scores. The only time I really remember it being received well was when the Duchesnay went back to Missing and won Worlds with it...but that was a totally different program with totally different music cuts, choreography, and even interpretation. There was still heavy criticism though.

FCSSp4

Rinkside
welcome FCSSp4, post often, post long!

seeing some good points you made, I agree that this situation is that 'loud' and 'sensitive' mainly due Yuzuru being such of FS ambassador and prominent figure, setting some kind of general standard to follow, not only in regards to competition, but also to follow in terms of paying attention to. Also, the more you are on the top, the more attention you get - and that means ANY kind of attention.

personally, I see this whole situation on many levels, one being Yuzuru challenging himself in his own, unique way like You said. Heck, the challenge itself is already there, looking at polarizing comments and opinions expressed. But as I said already there - I will wait until the program will be presented and I respect his decision, even trough disappointment. And moreover - even if programs' new versions would not speak to me first time seeing them, Yuzuru is a skater who can produce an amazing performance regardless of people's general opinions of a program - for me, he's one of very few skaters less dependable on music/programs themselves as forms to fit in, but more on how he fills those vehicles/musical themes.

I feel that the issue with these repeated programs lays primarily with people's personal expectations/wishes towards Yuzuru vs reality and the difficulty to accept it. Now, it kind of feels that there are two groups: one fiercely defending Yuzuru's decision (or Yuzuru at all, despite being totally unnecessary) no matter what is the opinion and the rest, mostly expressing disappointment about the sole decision to repeat programs, not stating they are already worse that something else...And another problem is that any other opinion than being happy/excited/raving over Yuzuru repeating programs is usually taken as a hate/negativity or critique towards skater in so personal way.

Thank you! I too believe that Yuzuru is capable of producing great performances regardless of what other people think. He puts in a spectacular amount of conviction in whatever he skates, I do think that he wouldn't skate to something if he didn't believe in it himself.

I'm a huge Yuzuru fan myself but he and his team came to this decision knowing there'd be a lot of criticism. When I heard about it, I knew that too. I see the point in getting angry is people say they want to see new programs from him because I, personally would love that too.

That said, the only thing I take issue with is the implication that what Yuzuru is doing is unfair given how there are no rules against it, nor is he taking away a skater's chance to do better than him. If, by chance the other skaters are able to put together a more technically and artistically difficult program while skating clean with quality better than his-- they should be rewarded accordingly. Docking points away from Yuzuru because of the perception that he has it easier than everyone else strikes me as an odd conclusion to make. Besides, I thought Let's Go Crazy and Hope & Legacy were extremely daring choices so it's not like he's been stuck with a singular style throughout his career.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I adore Yuzuru's Debut R&J, it made me a fan of Yuzuru and until Seimei came around was my favourite program of his. I strongly disagree though, that this is a program he should ever repeat. It worked because it was so raw and wild, because Yuzuru was 16, he became that Romeo from the Baz Luhrmann movie. Now, he's frankly too old, imho. The character of Romeo is not about maturity. It only works because Romeo & Juliet are so young. Even R&J 2.0 was a mistake, as it didn't have the power and charme of the first one. Seimei is different as it's not about teenage love, and this magical character is a mature adult.

Good points i must say... yes i guess i just miss that R&J freshness raw uncalculated qualities that was so unique and welcoming at the time. It is the only program I think worthy of revival, just because I wonder what a maturer version would be like.

Young skaters do Carmen all the time, I don't see why the reverse shouldn't be done. It just won't be the same wild and fresh R&J we remembered, but probably a more romantic, energetic one and with greater emotional depth? Romeo with 5 quads, would bring new qualities to recklessness, brashness, abandonment, extremism, living on the edge, regretfulness and hopelessness against overwhelming odds, which are something Hanyu experienced in his life experience since then.

Who knows... yeahh R&J II was a mistake. He should have leave it for a few years before a second attempt. Guess we will never know.

andromache

Record Breaker

I used the word "lazy" on the very first page of this thread. I never called Hanyu lazy, or ANY individual skater.

No one is questioning Hanyu's artistic integrity, either. What do you want people to say? "Wow, Yuzu is really pushing the artistic envelope by reusing these two progams!!!!" No, he's not. That doesn't mean he lacks artistic integrity, or that anyone thinks he does.

As for the phrase "taking the easy way out" it does NOT mean lazy. I understand many forums posters do not have English as a first language. "Taking the easy way out" means doing the easier thing (like reusing two programs) instead of a harder thing (like having one or two new programs).

It's as if you think that any tiny little critique of Hanyu is the gravest insult, and you feel the need to be offended on his behalf. When skaters make choices, are we supposed to praise them regardless of what those choices are? If Hanyu announced he was dialing back the technical difficulty and fans expressed their disappointed and thought he was taking the easy way out, I'm sure you would jump to his defense then, as well. Not everything a skater does is going to please everybody, AND THAT'S OKAY. There are one or two instances of posters being disrespectful or insulting about Hanyu's choice, and, IMO, that goes too far. But the vast majority of us are expressing our disappointment without taking shots at Hanyu's character, as much as you want to try to imply otherwise.

chillgil

Match Penalty
[/SIZE]
By the way, I fundamentally disagree figure skating programs requires to be 'entertaining'. Instead, they should be judged on the quality of delivery of key concepts, artistic ambitions, and the processes of getting there: how visible and well thought out they are, acknowledging and understanding of source material, decisions on why and how to they make it uniquely true to the performer and success on deliverying the intention of the program.

the only criteria you listed that would be affected by a skater reusing a program is 'artistic ambitions.' Do you realize that by stating this you are implying that if even a skater's artistic ambitions are high but performance is low quality that they should be awarded incredibly high points?

the reason skaters invest in making new programs is because they are trying to brand themselves. they want to be able to be marketable to audiences and judges alike so that, yes, their PCS scores will rise.

in hanyu's case he has found the programs that best represent who he is and wants to showcase his brand at the world stage. the same with Javi for most of his career. the same with patrick chan. you wonder why these top skaters repeat programs all the time? it is because they did a good job with analyzing what makes them and their brand unique and finding the perfect type of themes and music to represent that brand.

beki

Medalist
Besides, I thought Let's Go Crazy and Hope & Legacy were extremely daring choices so it's not like he's been stuck with a singular style throughout his career.

They were, and I think that spurs some of the whiplash now. But last year expanding his artistic boundaries was his goal, and this year winning the OGM is.

I understand the branding idea, but it's something I really dislike about modern life. How we're all supposed to create personal brands, commodify and sell ourselves quickly and coherently in elevator pitches. No, please let's be multifaceted, living breathing human beings instead. Let's be a little different every day, and every year.

chillgil

Match Penalty
I used the word "lazy" on the very first page of this thread. I never called Hanyu lazy, or ANY individual skater.

No one is questioning Hanyu's artistic integrity, either. What do you want people to say? "Wow, Yuzu is really pushing the artistic envelope by reusing these two progams!!!!" No, he's not. That doesn't mean he lacks artistic integrity, or that anyone thinks he does.

As for the phrase "taking the easy way out" it does NOT mean lazy. I understand many forums posters do not have English as a first language. "Taking the easy way out" means doing the easier thing (like reusing two programs) instead of a harder thing (like having one or two new programs).

It's as if you think that any tiny little critique of Hanyu is the gravest insult, and you feel the need to be offended on his behalf. When skaters make choices, are we supposed to praise them regardless of what those choices are? If Hanyu announced he was dialing back the technical difficulty and fans expressed their disappointed and thought he was taking the easy way out, I'm sure you would jump to his defense then, as well. Not everything a skater does is going to please everybody, AND THAT'S OKAY. There are one or two instances of posters being disrespectful or insulting about Hanyu's choice, and, IMO, that goes too far. But the vast majority of us are expressing our disappointment without taking shots at Hanyu's character, as much as you want to try to imply otherwise.

whoaaa there bud, calm down it's only figure skating

p.s i'm a native english speaker, is my grammar really that bad?? :palmf:

p.s.s when did i mention hanyu in this post? seems like someone's looking for a fight :scratch2: i mean i made this comment as a response to the whole thread not the hanyu decision, and then you came in and declared that no one has called him lazy so i just wanted to point out that you were wrong bud. if you dont like it there's a handy little feature called 'ignore user' and you can go on living in delusion :)

at the end of the day figure skating is a sport that is comprised of fine art elements. This may be a little confusing to some but what this means is that when a skater finds a piece of music that they have been able to showcase said elements to the best of their abilities it would be stupid not to use it in the biggest competition of their lives. you can go on and on about "Artistic integrity" and "laziness" but the skaters do not owe you new programs, in fact the only thing they owe are good results and the only entity they owe anything to are to their own Feds.

as annoying or disappointing as it may be, having new or old programs do not affect a score just because they are either new or old.

that's just how it is :devil:

andromache

Record Breaker
whoaaa there bud, calm down it's only figure skating

Wow it's so cool when someone gets all over-emotional and offended over nothing, then someone explains to them why they're wrong, and then the first person pretends like they never really cared in the first place lol