Developing interest in Ice Dance? | Golden Skate

Developing interest in Ice Dance?

rugbyfan

On the Ice
If you were trying to get people interested in Ice Dance for the first time, what programs would you begin by showing them?

Barb

Record Breaker
Shibs ¨Fix you¨, ¨That´s life¨ or ¨Cinema paradiso¨
W/P ¨María de Buenos Aires¨
H/D ¨Picasso¨
P/C ¨Mozart¨
V/M ¨Prince¨

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Zhiganshina / Gazsi - The "Zombie Dance" routine that they used as their Free Dance in the 2012/13 season (as opposed to the version they used as their gala routine in the 2014/15 season).

Not your typical Ice Dance routine, but that's the whole reason I chose it. Something different like this might grab the interest of people who would not normally be interested in Ice Dance.

CaroLiza_fan

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
It depends on the viewer, but through trial and error, I find that I sort of have to ease first-time watchers into some of the more sophisticated dances (like Klimova/Ponomarenko's 1992 FD or even V/M's Mahler FD), but so it's better to introduce them to something more upbeat and casual with lots of steps or movement. Luckily, some of the best teams have done programs that newbies can instantly engage with. For example, Grishuk/Platov's 1995 OD and 1997 Tango OD. New viewers really like the old, quick, varied, and numerous steps of older ice dance routines. I found that the Duchesnay's 1990 "Missing" FD works the best as a go-to for a first-time ice dance watcher because that program is one of those that will cause an instant visceral reaction. You can then talk about how the rules were very different at that time and allowed more freedom and then ease them in to new ice dance programs and show them the direction ice dancing took to make it more "objective". For the newer ones, I would show them Papadakis/Cizeron's FDs; Virtue/Moir's 2013-2014 and 2016-2017 SDs; the Shibs "Fix You" FD and "That's Life" SD; and Gilles/Poirier's SDs in the past two seasons because those are very crowd-friendly with interesting movement and choreography. Some of Davis/White programs would also be great for new viewers like their "Samson and Delilah" FD, POTO since POTO has broad appeal, and even their J.Lo Latin SD just because a lot of people still don't know skaters use newer music in their routines. If you're trying to show straight guys ice dance, then definitely show them Madison Chock. I hosted a Worlds 2016 and 2017 party and bunch of my straight guy friends loved her and Maia Shibutani...both attracted different types. One of my sportier friends fell in love with Gabby Daleman.

mrrice

Record Breaker
It really depends on the age of the person you're trying to get interested. I always enjoyed Ice Dance but, I didn't love it until I saw Tessa and Scott in 2010. If your friend is younger, I think "Fix You" is a great place to start. I would also suggest Madison and Evan's "Bad To The Bone" Program. Even if they don't like the dance, they'll get to see 2 very good looking dancers.

If your friend is a dancer themselves, I would suggest Papadakis and Cizeron. IMO, they are very classic and theatrical. I would almost say they were "Old School" with a modern twist. I hope that made sense.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
If you were trying to get people interested in Ice Dance for the first time, what programs would you begin by showing them?

I would take them to a live competition. There's nothing like sitting through a bunch of lower level singles/pairs performances without expression to make you appreciate an entire field of ice dancers.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Papadakis/Cizeron all seniors FDs and Waltz+Blues SD. (I showed my friends Ice Dance and this what gets the most positives reaction by far)
Virtue/Moir SDs + Carmen,Malher, and Umbrellas FD. (Especially Prince)
... Okay everything by P/C and V/M it's easier.
Shibs Fix you.
I/K Black 2013-2014 SD and FD.
Davis/White Die Fledermaus, NDDP, and POTO (Extremely athletic so it has a wow factor) ans the Giselle SD. (D/W are perfect for neat freaks)
Brobrova/Soloviev Anna Karenine FD
Hubbell/Donohue 2015-2016 programs + 2016-2017 FD
Step/Bukin 14/15 and 15/16 FD and this years SD.
Chock/Bates 2016-2017 FD.
Weapo 2014 FD
For originality : Del/Shoe 2006 FD

NEVER SHOW THEM ANYTHING TORINO 2006 OD RELATED FOR THE SAKE OF THE SPORT. (Exepct THE stare) :laugh2:

I won't go any earlier that that I think... you could show them some classic by Marina/Gwendal and Torvill/Dean, but Ice Dance has evolved too much IMO.

sarama

Medalist
EVER SHOW THEM ANYTHING TORINO 2006 OD RELATED FOR THE SAKE OF THE SPORT. (Exepct THE stare) :laugh2:
In my experience people who know nothing about figure skating love the "crazy" competitions and disastrous programs... because it's sad for the skaters when they do poorly, but the "drama" it's great entertainment. I remember one morning my sister had her friends home after a sleepover and I forced them to watch that NHK trophy when Anna fell 143 times and they loved Anna's performance more than every other program:palmf:, so maybe 2006 Torino OD could be a great competition to initiate someone to ice dance after all... or even this last World FD, not as crazy but with a lot of unexpected twists.

I would take them to a live competition.

I so agree...Ice dance is exponentially more impressive live than through a screen. When I bring uninitiated people to competitions they are always shocked by ice dancers, because they assume it's going to be boring and then they are blown away!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Shibs "thriller" "fix you"
H/D- "nocturne/bohemian rhapsody" fd "hallelujah" sd
G/P-"Hitchcock"FD
V/M-Prince SD
D/W-"Eleanors Dream" and "Notre Dame de Paris" FD's.
C/B's- "Under Pressure" FD
T/D-"Bolero"
B/K-"Riverdance" FD

yuki

Final Flight
Hurtado/Diaz 2013-14 FD (the EX version they did at the 2014 GPF gala is also great)

Weathergal

Medalist
Like a lot of the suggestions so far. I would add:
Davis / White's Bollywood 2009-2010 OD
Kerr / Kerr's Krwlng 2013-2014 FD

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Every single competitive program from Gilles/Poirier.

Ice dance is my least favorite discipline, but I enjoy watching G/P because they are so different. I also like some of Papadakis/Cizeron (esp. the Woodkid & Mozart programs), Pechalat/Bourzat, and Anissina/Peizerat. The French teams just have a certain je ne sais quoi that is mostly missing (for me) from the NA school. I don't really get the fuss about the Shibs and Coldplay...I like spice in ice dance, not bland oatmeal.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pogrebinsky/Benoit "Trouble" by Elvis, then their FD at least to the opening upside-down curve lift https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3VVj7l-D-8&t=12s
Davis/White POTO at Nationals, and Notre Dame de Paris at Worlds
Shibutanis Thriller at Nationals
Papadakis/ Cizeron To Build a Home at Worlds
Chock/Bates Under Pressure at Nationals
Weaver/Poje Maria de Buenos Aires at Olympics
Gilles/Poirier 2017 FD
Tobias/Tkachenko "Nutcracker"
Kaliszek/Spodyriev "Dirty Dancing" 2016-17
Hawayek/Baker "Liebestraume" at NHK 2016

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I am definitely interested in ice dance! But I have no idea how it works!!😫 I know what a curve lift is, and I know what twizzles are, but basically nothing else. And the olympics are approaching. So, does anyone know of a YouTube video explaining basic knowledge of ice dance? Like, what makes a good pattern dance? how to tell if a team is doing difficult moves or not? What's the rotational lift? What's the difference between a level 3 step sequence and a level 4? Etc etc etc......
With the olympics coming I'd really like to understand the scoring.
Thanks😀

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Davis / White - Bollywood OD

Virtue / Moir - Pink Floyd FD, Mahler FD (the program that made me fall in love with ID), Prince SD, Latch FD (I know lots of people who really like Sam Smith, so they'd like that)

Papadakis / Cizeron - Mozart FD, To Build A Home FD, 2017 FD

Gilles / Poirier - Everything. Everything they do is so entertaining

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i agree with what someone wrote in here...

when i went to my first live event, i was amazed at the speed and skills even the lowest dance team had compared to single skaters (of course the top single skaters were great too) and i think that to see the intricacy of ice dance steps and patterns, at such speed gives it another perspective for a viewer who wouldn't grasp that on tv or online...

i was in for a treat as i went to ACI and saw V/M's FD of this year.... it was mesmerizing...