Developing interest in Ice Dance? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Developing interest in Ice Dance?

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
You just need to follow ice dance, tht's all. With time you'll see the difference. Also, youtube has slow-motion replays for every video, just make an effort and you'll see that the turns are really different (from inside edge to inside edge, from inside edge to outside edge, clockwise and counter-clockwise, inside the circle or outside the circle etc.). There's also steps where skaters transfer their weight from one foot to the other (from edge to an edge). You should easily see a 3-turn, it's a simple step, for example, and it looks like a skater makes a '3'-shaped trace on the ice when skater glides on the edge of the blade and turns inside the circle he/she moves without the help of the other foot and the edge changes (inside to outside, or outside to inside).

Look: https://youtu.be/NvIk-R2VNbg?t=2m2s Here Madison Chock execute 3-turn as transitional element. It's a 'right-forward-outside to right-backward-inside' type of three turn (RFO-RBI) performed as a transition, really simple step.

And here's another one: https://youtu.be/NvIk-R2VNbg?t=3m8s She does 'right-forward-inside to right-backward-outside' type of three turn (RFI-RBO) performed right from assisted jump as a transition into the twizzles.

Look at these at 0.25x speed until you clearly see the difference. Then try to look for similar steps. It's pretty simple. Then you can move to other type of steps and turns. I cn help with examples if you want.

Thanks! I'll try harder to understand since I love just watching ice dance.
So, what's a pattern dance? Is that the required thing in the short dance that changes each season to salsa or hip hop or swing or something?

gkelly

Record Breaker
So, what's a pattern dance? Is that the required thing in the short dance that changes each season to salsa or hip hop or swing or something?

If you're only watching contemporary junior and senior competition, yes, that's what is meant by pattern dance. (There aren't any salsa or hip hop or swing required patterns, BTW.)

At novice and lower or adult competition levels, that's the word used for whole dances that go all the way or halfway around the rink and then repeat two or three times, so that everybody does exactly the same steps with the same timing to the same few pieces of music, and judges can compare apples to apples. Up through 2010 juniors and seniors used to do them as well and they were known as "compulsory dances."

Juniors and seniors used to have an "Original Dance" that was similar to the current Short Dance but with no required steps: it did require one specific or a choice of a few specific dance rhythms, and some required elements. Before that (1970s and 80s), they did an "Original Set Pattern" (OSP) dance in which teams made up their own set patterns to one required dance rhythm; the pattern had to repeat identically around the ice two or three times. Some of the OSPs were later adopted to be official compulsory dances that went into the pool of compulsory dances/pattern dances that the ISU could choose to assign each year.

In 2010-11 the Original Dance and Compulsory Dance were combined into the Short Dance for juniors and seniors. The Short Dance contains a set pattern that's drawn from that pool of standardized pattern dances, but the skaters aren't always required to skate the whole pattern let alone repeats. It depends on the particular pattern chosen that year and what the ISU wants to achieve with it.

Shout out to http://www.ice-dance.com/, which is celebrating its 18th birthday today. You'll find a lot of good information there under References.

If you go to Pattern Dances Descriptions and Charts under References you can find information about each of the standard patterns in the ISU pool.

For example, here is the description and pattern diagram for the Rhumba, which will be used in the senior SD this coming season:
http://www.ice-dance.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Rhumba.pdf

Barb

Record Breaker
Thank you, what a babe! :luv17:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewIqfjh1qvY

Is it the most revealing female costume in fs history? :biggrin:

I very well remember the commentators in my country very delighted with her. But for some reason I never thought she looked sexy or that the dress was very revealing, I guess it's because she is very thin. If Liza T. wore that dress another thing would be.
I also did not believe her the sexy attitude :confused:, but I know that many guys loved it.

tars

Record Breaker
I very well remember the commentators in my country very delighted with her. But for some reason I never thought she looked sexy or that the dress was very revealing, I guess it's because she is very thin. If Liza T. wore that dress another thing would be.
I also did not believe her the sexy attitude :confused:, but I know that many guys loved it.
I'd say she looked super sexy, but there was not much chemistry between them in that performance (still, I'm not dance expert).

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I also thought Tanith was super stiff in her Latin dance. She hadn't gone to Linichuk yet, so her shallow edges and weird posture at times catching up to Ben, and the overall uncleanliness was very distracting to me. However, she is a beautiful woman.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Since the scores for ice dance seem to be steadily increasing from year to year , I have a hard time figuring out what qualifies as a "good score." Just from watching what I understand in ice dance (twizzles, reputation, speed, kiss-and-cry reaction) I'm guessing there are "y'all did well" scores and "with love from the judges" scores.
Getting below 50 in presentation is kinda bad right?
What makes the judges score stepanova and butkin lower than, say, chock and bates? Is it reputation? Does one team have a difficulty level that's stronger than the other? A lot of fans seem to believe the former is underscored, why?
And what do people mean when they say papadakis isn't great and needs work? Am I missing something only an ice dance expert would know?

I'm reading the Isu scoring explanations, but it's confusing without videos showing the "right" and "wrong" way.