Was media harsh with Gracie Gold? | Golden Skate

Was media harsh with Gracie Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't think Tara and Johnny are deliberately being harsh with her. I think a lot of it is frustration, knowing how talented she is (and has been), but at some point the skater has to produce otherwise it sounds foolish to keep going on about how talented and great they are.

The 2F "you can see it on her face" is probably referring to the tentative look she has. She doesn't have the same confidence she normally has. The 2A was a tight landing, for sure (slow it down or see previous versions of her 2A).

Tara and Johnny in general are "harsher" than other commentators, but they're on point more often than not. They're a more "real" version of commentators compared to other commentators who tend to be less critical and more observers calling out the elements.

The 3-3 was fought for (I almost thought she'd double the lutz given the delay), but a tight 2A and a double flip (which while the only major mistake was a costly one) meant it's not a good performance. It lacked confidence and attack, and the lightness and ease and flow that she's exhibited before.

And let's be honest - Tara/Johnny aren't destroying the career of Gracie -- she's doing that to herself with subpar performances and getting in her own head/down on herself. I really hope she can exhibit more confidence or at least more hunger going into this Olympic season. And IMO, it's better that Tara/Johnny/all of us don't coddle her saying she's got all the talent in the world, and rather say - girl, snap out of it, get it together, and fight for your Olympic spot.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't think the media is Gracie's problem. After seeing the videos of her skating in the summer shows, I can see for myself that Gracie is struggling. At this point, it seems that Gracie is taking the necessary steps to fix her problems and we'll just have to wait until she steps on the ice "In Competition" later this summer.

Barb

Record Breaker
Her last thread was closed 3 days ago. How did it take so long to create a new one?

pista04

On the Ice
For me, not at all. These individuals are hired to share their knowledge of figure skating - from what a triple axel is, to how many points a spin will get, to what is the context that the skater is competing in. For Gracie, her context is that she was a staff and has been failing - and the commentary reflects that, as sad as that is. How they interpret her faces are just that: their interpretation, and that is what they are hired for. If you were a commentator, your opinions would be just as valid - but just because, say, an interpretation of a face is different than yours doesn't mean it's wrong, bad or "too" anything, in my opinion.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Really?!?! The media is the least of Gold's problems. :rolleye:

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
Gracie isnt listening to their commentary as shes skating, so they are not to blame. When Tara,says "Gracie always does that," it is unfortunately a statement based on fact. Go back to her other programs, and she does have a pattern of falling early on then popping jumps sometimes "whAxels."

Jonny and Tara are harsh but accurate. Other commentators criticize her, too, though not as brash ("The firebird didnt gly quite so high today").

People are tired of Gracie not living up to her potential. No one is trying to be mean to her. I love Gracie, and i HATE seeing her fall, pop jumps, and look miserable in general. She can do better. Many would kill for a chance to go to the Olympics, and shes throwing it away.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
When I read the topic, I thought, "Not nearly as harsh as some of the commenters on Golden Skate!".

Also, all the examples in the first post were from Johnny and Tara. There's a lot more to "the media" than just those two.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
When I read the topic, I thought, "Not nearly as harsh as some of the commenters on Golden Skate!".

Also, all the examples in the first post were from Johnny and Tara. There's a lot more to "the media" than just those two.

Thank you! I was just going to say that!

Tara and Johnny aren't even true media outlets lol!

And they're (well mostly Tara) just rude and mean to everyone they commentate about, which is completely unprofessional and needs to end.

withwings

On the Ice
Quite opposite Gracie has been always treated with a soft and gentle gloves. Harsh comments? I do not believe so.The fact is that Gracie is not- and never has been- that type of personality who enjoys performing. To perform is a gift given from above, and no one can learn this- performing has to come from deeply inside. Gracie is a fantastic and very gifted athlete but figure skating is something more than a sport; figure skating requires not only a body but also soul and spirit. Gracie has very many talents except that one- an ability and desire to perform for others. It truly is a gift, and very rewarding gift, to want to touch at least one person, one heart in the audience, to forget about oneself and to skate for the audience. Without this even a beautiful performance is like a paper flower: beautiful, but there is no a real fragrance.
I really admire and respect her for not giving up and wish her to succeed and to enjoy every single moment on the ice; to open her heart because the rest is given to her in abundance.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've said it before:

Gracie Gold is he Donald Trump of figure skating.

Love her or hate her... you can't look away.

I think that if she's on her game, and truly performs to her potential, she's one of the few who could challenge the Russians.

The problem for her, so far, is that she has not performed to her potential nearly often enough.

withwings

On the Ice
A clean technical skating is not a performance. The gift of performing is simply not given to her.

I've said it before:

Gracie Gold is he Donald Trump of figure skating.

Love her or hate her... you can't look away.

I think that if she's on her game, and truly performs to her potential, she's one of the few who could challenge the Russians.

The problem for her, so far, is that she has not performed to her potential nearly often enough.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Her sp after the completion of jumps at Boston Worlds shows her performance potential. If she could somehow channel some Ashley Wagner "carpe diem" throughout her programs, she could be Olympic champ. I know....very tall order based on her recent form.

Warwick360

Medalist
It's Tara and Johnny we're talking about. If not for volley of catty comments, as a viewer we're subjected to continuous rambling.

Having said that, I do appreciate Johnny's commentary over Tara, although that's not saying much.

Personally, I just couldn't help myself when Johnny was calling out Yulia for what he called a "donkey kick", when most of us here are probably aware that Tara had probably one of the biggest kicks going into her toe jumps, (barring Caroline Zhang), and she was sitting right next to him in the commentary. :palmf:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A clean technical skating is not a performance. The gift of performing is simply not given to her.

Well, there's room for disagreement, I suppose.

I think she's electric, when she's on... and, as I have stated, that's not often enough.

On the other hand, I drift off during Medvedeva's programs. Now those are technically clean programs with no performance interest. Speaking for myself, of course.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Quite opposite Gracie has been always treated with a soft and gentle gloves. Harsh comments? I do not believe so.The fact is that Gracie is not- and never has been- that type of personality who enjoys performing. To perform is a gift given from above, and no one can learn this- performing has to come from deeply inside. Gracie is a fantastic and very gifted athlete but figure skating is something more than a sport; figure skating requires not only a body but also soul and spirit. Gracie has very many talents except that one- an ability and desire to perform for others. It truly is a gift, and very rewarding gift, to want to touch at least one person, one heart in the audience, to forget about oneself and to skate for the audience. Without this even a beautiful performance is like a paper flower: beautiful, but there is no a real fragrance.

Very well said....I totally agree!!!!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Well, there's room for disagreement, I suppose.

I think she's electric, when she's on... and, as I have stated, that's not often enough.

On the other hand, I drift off during Medvedeva's programs. Now those are technically clean programs with no performance interest. Speaking for myself, of course.

There was a lengthy discussion that in theory Gracie is a better skater than Evgenia. I strongly oppose to that statement - I believe that Medevedeva is superior in almost everything (well, not in lutz).

But the key thing so far has been that this argument is just abstract. You do not become a theoretical champion in figure skating.

mrrice

Record Breaker
^^ Barring Kaetlyn Osmond, Gabby or New US Champion Karen Chen, I think Zagitova will be a closer rival to Med than Gracie. At this point, there are too many variables when it comes to Gracie and her skating. She hasn't looked good over the summer and I'll be beyond thrilled for her if she can land her triples by the time the season begins. I'll worry about titles when Nationals rolls around.

Kelly Lynn

Rinkside
I saw Gracie at the opening performance of Stars on Ice this Spring. She was a bit heavy, looked quite unhappy and disinterested in her performance which was not good. She looked like a beautiful young woman who wanted out. As to the media the problem has always been overhype setting up unrealistic expectations for this talented but hardly perfect skater. I think it's been very hard for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.