Was media harsh with Gracie Gold? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Was media harsh with Gracie Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I saw Gracie at the opening performance of Stars on Ice this Spring. She was a bit heavy, looked quite unhappy and disinterested in her performance which was not good. She looked like a beautiful young woman who wanted out. As to the media the problem has always been overhype setting up unrealistic expectations for this talented but hardly perfect skater. I think it's been very hard for her.

I agree and as harsh as it may sound. If she can't at the very least, land her basic triples by the GP, let alone backload them, I wish she'd give her GP spots away and train 8hours a day. I LOVE Gracie and I think it is her lack of fitness and stamina that keeps her body from executing the jumps that she knows, in her mind, how to do. I don't know if that made sense but, we have all seen skater's hit puberty and lose their jumps. I realize that Gracie is past puberty but, she's seems to be experiencing the same symptoms....

Amei

Record Breaker
No they were not too harsh - I'm completely fine with a commentator not glossing over poor performances.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffEWQiVb3Gg&t=2m42s (Johnny and Tara : Negative commentary about the double flip ...)
Harsh commentary, to my eyes, they could have talk about this spin nice and strong spin from Gracie!

This was in the short program of U.S. Nationals, in which Gracie's glaring error on the flip would have immense impact on her score and standing going into the LP.
It would have been downplaying that significance if T & J had cut off discussion of such a huge mistake in favor of a mention of a spin that was good, but certainly not exceptional.

It would be like doing news commentary about tornado damage and saying: "The house has been blown away, but at least that nice porch is still there."

soccer

Match Penalty
The moderator of this forum can close this Thread, I don't have anything more to say about Gracie. Thank you!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Gracie will do much better under Zoueva; she clearly needed a change and the way her working with Carroll broke down showed the communication between them both was't what it should have been. Unfortunately all commentators get to see is what goes on on the ice- not the coaching, not how they are choreographed, not the parenting, not the outside skating life of a skater, so all commentary just becomes a case of "this skater keeps on doing this, and it's something inherent to them as a person". i don't think the commentary (and we're are talking beyond JW and TL here) was helpful or insightful or kind. But, hey, that's all over now; she's with Zoueva, and I'm sure Marina knows what a feather it will be in her cap if she helps Gracie perform the way we all believe she could be able to do; and will set up as the leading figure in US Figure Skating coaching (which she kind of is anyway); and her coaching will have the necessary dimensions to help her.

I think Gracie could pull it together and I still think at her best she is America's best skater - style and content wise (both). However, I realize she may need money her skating in shows has not helped restore confidence in her skating. And she does seem like is "drowning" - like she needs help but doens't know what to do so she just kicks, shrugs, flails her arms and hopes something works - drowning and because she is panicking like a panicked swimmer it is hard to "save" them.

The media recognizes she was the great American hope;not so sure they are that hard on her - now the people on GS that is a different story. If you can survive GS forums you can survive anything. We are just mean, sometimes cruel and vicious.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Gracie has been inconsistent rather often, but on the other hand so was Ilia Kulik, one of my big favorites. Well, he managed to win the Olympic gold medal with a faultless performance. Could Gracie do that as well (= manage a faultless performance)? I have huge doubts, especially for a couple of reasons: My impression is that Gracie concentrates on social media way too much to be able to concentrate on her training fully and she let herself go out of shape last summer and never got back to her competitive weight. Ilia on the the hand was always in good shape and additionally got the necessary stamina for the Olympic season. That needs hard work and concentration....

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Gracie has been inconsistent rather often, but on the other hand so was Ilia Kulik, one of my big favorites. Well, he managed to win the Olympic gold medal with a faultless performance. Could Gracie do that as well (= manage a faultless performance)? I have huge doubts, especially for a couple of reasons: My impression is that Gracie concentrates on social media way too much to be able to concentrate on her training fully and she let herself go out of shape last summer and never got back to her competitive weight. Ilia on the the hand was always in good shape and additionally got the necessary stamina for the Olympic season. That needs hard work and concentration....

Kulik never bombed a season this badly, and he always had the jumps to compete for the gold medal at the Olympics.

A consistent Gracie is still a top contender, but her TES is not the best anymore (and even some of her jumps aren't top notch as they were in the past), so she doesn't have room for mistakes.

I feel bad for her: 3-4 years ago she had the potential to win Worlds especially after Sochi and then again in Boston but she failed so many times and now the new skaters are coming with more difficult programs and yet more consistency.

Still not quite sure about the move to Zueva: her issues are the jumps, not the artistry. Tom Z (while keeping Lori as the choreographer) would have been much better choice for her.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The moderator of this forum can close this Thread, I don't have anything more to say about Gracie. Thank you!

Huh - ah I am confused. Are you someone special? Powerful that this forum should bow to you? This is interesting - I mean is Gracie really treated unfairly by the media. they seem both love her and adore her but fairly discuss what she is doing on the ice.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffEWQiVb3Gg&t=320s

To be fair, not all of J&T is commentary is bad.

"She fought for that!" 1:28
"That's incredible!" 1:32
"She can do a triple flip in her sleep." 3:01
"She's so talented" 3:55
"She fought for the combination which showed positive signs" 4:23
"There's so much skill here, there's so much talent, so much beauty..." 4:39
"Beautiful strong outside edge" 5:16
"Triple toe loop looked solid." 5:28

I think their commentary is fair. It's not a bash Gracie fest.
Devil's advocate, yes, sometimes if you watch a skater enough, you'll see when they are 'on' or not. Sometimes you can see in their faces whether they are performing or going through motions. Tara is factually correct.

Gracie looks like that coworker who just put in their 2 weeks notice and mentally clocked out...She often looks miserable.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Media is too general to describe her treatment in this sport when it is really just made out of small groups of strong personalities that can be count on one hand (and maybe a big NBC toe) that each does their own sensationalistic spins to sell whatever branded views they are selling.

One thing though, having such incredible success the US ladies has had historically in this sport does breed some sort of entitlement attitude, with such high levels of expectations that can only lead to unhealthy burden for most youngsters to live up to. This can really screw up their head game.

That - and not being shamelessly milking/abusing COP rules enough at embryo stage like their Russian counter part (including putting the right political chess in place and plan for rule changes ahead of time + train for it) - all does not help.

twirlingaround

Rinkside
I think Gracie will come back next season like a fire cracker! At least I'm hoping she does as I have always been a fan of Gracie's. Just because her last season was rough I'm not counting her done! Go Gracie!!!!!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Though Gracie is older than Irina Slutskaya was in 1999. She is seems to be experiencing the same struggles. Irina won the Silver Medal at Worlds in 1998 and then didn't make the Russian Team in 1999. She came back and won 2 Silvers in 2000, and 2001 before finally winning her first WC in 2002. Gracie has a fire and drive about her and if she decides to keep skating, I hope she waits until she's back in shape before taking the ice in competition. There is absolutely no need for her to rush back into competition.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Well, there's room for disagreement, I suppose.

I think she's electric, when she's on... and, as I have stated, that's not often enough.

On the other hand, I drift off during Medvedeva's programs. Now those are technically clean programs with no performance interest. Speaking for myself, of course.

I've seen Gracie and Evgenia 2x live at the same competitions, and Evgenia was a dozen times more memorable. I don't know what everyone else is watching, but I see nothing but a plastered-on pageant smile and rote execution of the choreography...and this was last season (2015-16), when she was actually winning medals. (Oh, I also saw Gracie at SA this season, but I totally forgot she was there until I looked at her Wiki page just now.)

I think Gabby Daleman is a good example of a power skater who also knows how to perform. I would watch Gabby any day over Gracie even when Gracie is supposedly "on." It helps that she's also a fighter & a very hard worker. Why don't skaters like Gabby and Kaetlyn get more attention on here, why does there have to be a new thread about Gracie every week? I can only go by what I read here about Gracie, but I still don't understand why people think she's going to suddenly turn it around when she's had months to start getting ready for the next season. What is this weird hold she has over people? The "Hollywood looks" and blonde hair?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Though Gracie is older than Irina Slutskaya was in 1999. She is seems to be experiencing the same struggles. Irina won the Silver Medal at Worlds in 1998 and then didn't make the Russian Team in 1999. She came back and won 2 Silvers in 2000, and 2001 before finally winning her first WC in 2002. Gracie has a fire and drive about her and if she decides to keep skating, I hope she waits until she's back in shape before taking the ice in competition. There is absolutely no need for her to rush back into competition.

Irina won the bronze in 1995 and then the silver in 1998 at worlds but she was also two-times european champions, medalist at GPF... Even Kostner was super inconsistent at first but still she was able to medal at some major events.

While i've never seen Gracie skating well at GPF and Worlds or even 4CC, and i don't think she has ever skated a clean SP and a clean LP at the same competition at an international event. That's where i feel she is a little overrated by media and fans.

It's like she's having the post Olympic gold medal / WC gold medal treatment without actually winning these competitions.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I think the media was too nice to her for too long, she was technically brilliant when she was on and despite being stiff and skating with a plastered smile, but the judges were willing to give her all the PCS without her having any consistency and she gave away so many good chances. Lots of skating fans saw this and became pretty harsh as a result of it. Then when Gracie struggled this season, the media had to start being more realistic about her chances. It's unfortunate for her to have this kind of trajectory but it what it is.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think the media was too nice to her for too long, she was technically brilliant when she was on and despite being stiff and skating with a plastered smile, but the judges were willing to give her all the PCS without her having any consistency and she gave away so many good chances. Lots of skating fans saw this and became pretty harsh as a result of it. Then when Gracie struggled this season, the media had to start being more realistic about her chances. It's unfortunate for her to have this kind of trajectory but it what it is.

This is true, the first time I noticed Gracie was at Junior Worlds in 2012. I hated the music but, I loved Gracie. She was one of the most promising young skaters I had ever seen. Look at her SP from Jr Worlds in 2012. Even with a "Fake" smile, there was no denying her immense talent. She is still capable of greatness and I truly hope she can get her groove back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC8_cAgdoE8

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've seen Gracie and Evgenia 2x live at the same competitions, and Evgenia was a dozen times more memorable. I don't know what everyone else is watching, but I see nothing but a plastered-on pageant smile and rote execution of the choreography...and this was last season (2015-16), when she was actually winning medals. (Oh, I also saw Gracie at SA this season, but I totally forgot she was there until I looked at her Wiki page just now.)

I think Gabby Daleman is a good example of a power skater who also knows how to perform. I would watch Gabby any day over Gracie even when Gracie is supposedly "on." It helps that she's also a fighter & a very hard worker. Why don't skaters like Gabby and Kaetlyn get more attention on here, why does there have to be a new thread about Gracie every week? I can only go by what I read here about Gracie, but I still don't understand why people think she's going to suddenly turn it around when she's had months to start getting ready for the next season. What is this weird hold she has over people? The "Hollywood looks" and blonde hair?

Because Gabby until last season had never really won much of anything and in fact has still never medaled at a GP event and wasn't looked up as a contender internationally at the big events because she never showed that she was among the elite skaters.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
This is true, the first time I noticed Gracie was at Junior Worlds in 2012. I hated the music but, I loved Gracie. She was one of the most promising young skaters I had ever seen. Look at her SP from Jr Worlds in 2012. Even with a "Fake" smile, there was no denying her immense talent. She is still capable of greatness and I truly hope she can get her groove back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC8_cAgdoE8

Exactly. I think this "stilted performance" people speak of is a product of the Frank Carroll partnership, which was a mismatch if I ever saw one. And that represents nearly her entire senior career up to this point. Skaters in their 20s ought to have more autonomy and ownership of their careers by that time.

She obviously had a lot of input on her exhibition choices over the years.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Quite opposite Gracie has been always treated with a soft and gentle gloves. Harsh comments? I do not believe so.The fact is that Gracie is not- and never has been- that type of personality who enjoys performing. To perform is a gift given from above, and no one can learn this- performing has to come from deeply inside. Gracie is a fantastic and very gifted athlete but figure skating is something more than a sport; figure skating requires not only a body but also soul and spirit.

Beautifully and truly spoken! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.