Was media harsh with Gracie Gold? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Was media harsh with Gracie Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jf12

Final Flight
She had all the technical and artistic goods needed to take the title. She simply isn't a fierce competitor. After failing to win a major title yet again, I'm not sure what she could be told to improve.

Just with current skaters though, so does Pogorilaya, so does Osmond, and Daleman, and Nathan Chen, and Shoma Uno - all of them have the technical and artistic goods to potentially win the worlds gold, and none of them have won a worlds gold - yet.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course the media was harsh on Gracie. .... Gracie came out of the field with a whole country's worth of pressure because she was a star from the very beginning. Someone after all that's happened- because Mirai is a more likeable, warmer character- her disappointing slump was deemed more of a heroic struggle (I mean, yes, they royally f****d her in 2014),

Wrong. Ashley won Gold at TEB that year, silver at SA, and bronze at the Grand Prix Final. In the USFS, those results count. In that same GP season (2013-14), Mirai won bronze at Rostelecom, came in 8th at NHK, 4th at Finlandia, and didn't come within a country mile of what she needed in order to skate in the GP final.

yet Gracie's slump year people have turned into some kind of massive how-dare-you-disappoint-the-US-fiasco. ...
She's never going to be Ashley Wagner on the ice, and people need to stop expecting her to be.... Gracie is a textbook skater, who- given the right piece of music, can deliver an athletic performance with good aesthetics. People need to cut her some slack.

I haven't felt the media have treated Gracie as much badly as Ashley

Amen to that.

but I guess the high expectation towards Gracie whose potentials never peaked at the right timings and places such as 2016 Worlds except her National showings may let down a lot of writers as well (as they are human after all).

It goes for Tara as well. She's said repeatedly that Gracie is one of the best technicians she's ever seen, and that Gracie "should be world champion."

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The big difference for me between Mirai's struggles and Gracie's struggles, watching Mirai skate even when she's doing poorly I don't get the feeling based on her behavior that she doesn't want to skate, Gracie on the other hand, I get the impression she would rather be doing anything but skating.

I can't agree completely. To quote mrrice's memorable remark after this year's nationals, during the FS Mirai looked like she was taking a physics exam... and that wasn't the only example, even this year. When she concentrates so hard on her jumps, her performance suffers. Whereas with Gracie, she often looks scared to death getting onto the ice.

When Ashley skates, she simply doesn't allow her small slip-ups to affect her performance quality. That takes courage, heart and soul, and an ability to value what she gives through her skating more than a technical score, or perfection.

Figure skating is more than a sport. At its best, it involves putting your soul out there.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I can't agree completely. To quote mrrice's memorable remark after this year's nationals, during the FS Mirai looked like she was taking a physics exam... and that wasn't the only example, even this year. When she concentrates so hard on her jumps, her performance suffers. Whereas with Gracie, she often looks scared to death getting onto the ice.

When Ashley skates, she simply doesn't allow her small slip-ups to affect her performance quality. That takes courage, heart and soul, and an ability to value what she gives through her skating more than a technical score, or perfection.

Figure skating is more than a sport. At its best, it involves putting your soul out there.

And a lot of quick thinking on your feet (skates). The ones that have a more difficult time doing so shows bigtime in the performance and results (Gracie is one of those).

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I don't think the media has been particularly "harsh" on her. However, I do think there are a lot of external expectations and thus comments and snark a skater would hear in the periphery from the media, fans, and the skating community that she has been internalizing for years. With the way last season turned out, with fan reports of her lackluster SOI performances, and some other non-skating related news coming out, I bet Gracie isn't quite in the best place she can be. That said, it seems like she's getting support from her friends, which is very good to see:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVGK6MDB4gq/?taken-by=graciegold95

I liked Ashley Wagner's comment and love that she's Gracie some love. Quite a different picture with the way the media and fandom put them on odds with one another, which is logical considering they were the top two American women skaters for the past few seasons, traded titles, and want the same results.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I agree with this 100%. I've really held back on saying anything about her SOI performances, because I'm not sure what to think. But it seems that if she was going to do anything about her level of fitness as far as being labored and sluggish, that needs to be a work in serious progress right now. I think Sun Valley will tell us all exactly what we can expect.

I think it will too. Doesn't Gracie have an agent, or spokesperson? It's not like she's a struggling Junior. She's been a National Champion and an Olympian. To see her struggle with "Basic" jumps is hard for long time fans like myself to watch. It's not like she's falling on the back half of difficult combo's, she looks exhausted at the end of an easy 2 minute program.

I hate to speculate about such a talented and beautiful young woman but, I'm worried that something more is going on. At this point, I'd almost rather find out she's pulled her hip flexor or has a groin injury because that would explain her performances.

I hope with all my heart that she lands 1 double axel and 1 triple of any kind when she gets to her next show. I think she needs it for herself, not her fans. I think she needs a strong performance to rebuild her confidence. Even if she doesn't jump at all, if she gives a heartfelt performance her fans will scream for her and I think she needs that right now.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Just with current skaters though, so does Pogorilaya, so does Osmond, and Daleman, and Nathan Chen, and Shoma Uno - all of them have the technical and artistic goods to potentially win the worlds gold, and none of them have won a worlds gold - yet.

Not exactly equal comparisons though. For one thing, all but Nathan have something that Gracie doesn't - World medals. They've all managed to put it together when it matters at least once. For another, Gracie is 21 (22 this summer) and has had 5 senior seasons. Shoma is 19 with 2 senior seasons, Gabby is 19 with 3.5 (in 13/14 she did the JGP and then the Olympics and senior Worlds), Nathan just turned 18 and this was his first full senior season. Only Anna and Kaetlyn have around the same time senior and only Kaetlyn is the same age. Anna just turned 19 and has had 4 senior seasons, while Kaetlyn is 21 with five.

And keep in mind, unlike Gracie, Kaetlyn lost a whole season due to a broken leg and another one working her way back into good competitive shape, so Gracie has certainly had the most time so far to live up to her potential. And before these Worlds, basically no one thought of Gabby as someone who could win Worlds. As for Nathan, he's only competed at Worlds once and his boots were falling apart. Anna is maybe the best comparison, since she's talented but struggles a lot with consistency.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know that among some, it is en vogue to look down one's nose at Marina.

But, the evidence indicate that she knows how to get skaters in competitive form with decent programs that emphasize their strengths.

I'm hopeful, but we shall see.

mrrice

Record Breaker

But, the evidence indicate that she knows how to get skaters in competitive form with decent programs that emphasize their strengths.

I would NEVER look down my nose at Marina. IMO, she basically elevated the sport of Ice Dance in the US. 10 years ago we didn't have a team that was in the hunt at Worlds. Marina even worked with Tanith and Ben. She has worked with the past 2 Olympic Champions......Anyone who would look down on Marina is more than likely Jealous...

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I would NEVER look down my nose at Marina. IMO, she basically elevated to sport of Ice Dance in the US. 10 years ago we didn't have a team that was in the hunt at Worlds. Marina even worked with Tanith and Ben. She has worked with the past 2 Olympic Champions......Anyone who would look down on Marina is more than likely Jealous...

Actually more than ten years ago we had ice dancers in the mix at Worlds. Belbin and Agosto won Silver in 2005 thanks to working with Igor and Marina.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
The big difference for me between Mirai's struggles and Gracie's struggles, watching Mirai skate even when she's doing poorly I don't get the feeling based on her behavior that she doesn't want to skate, Gracie on the other hand, I get the impression she would rather be doing anything but skating.

Even as a casual viewer, thats the feeling i get from watching Gracie. Maybe the pressure is too much. Frankly, i think its too much pressure to put on a single person. I certainly cant relate.

When i watch Pogo, even with all the falls, she doesnt look like she hates skating. She looks sad and disappointment but not like she hates what shes doing.

~~~~~~~~
As an athlete (though not a skater), an injury doesnt necessarily make one seem miserable. Ive known athletes in contact sports (football, boxing, mma), no matter what injury they sustained (broken bones, knocked out/concussion, etc), they wanted to go back in and compete. There are vids of ballerinas getting injured. Guess what? The first concern is "When can I go back in?" Misty has several fractures, but i dont see her looking unhappy. There are child dancers who dance and jig on broken feet and look darn HAPPY and focused on stage. Other skaters skate injured, but they dont look unhappy on the ice. Of course, everyone is different. Im just saying for many athletes, an injury makes them upset bc they cant compete, dance, etc.

Im with Tara, Gracies problems seem mental. I dont know her nor can i understand the pressures she faces. I looove Gracie, and im certainly not bashing her. She has one of my fav lutzes. When J&T and others say Gracie isnt a fierce competitor, maaaaybe they have a point.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
When i watch Pogo, even with all the falls, she doesnt look like she hates skating. She looks sad and disappointment but not like she hates what shes doing.

~~~~~~~~
As an athlete (though not a skater), an injury doesnt necessarily make one seem miserable. Ive known athletes in contact sports (football, boxing, mma), no matter what injury they sustained (broken bones, knocked out/concussion, etc), they wanted to go back in and compete. There are vids of ballerinas getting injured. Guess what? The first concern is "When can I go back in?" Misty has several fractures, but i dont see her looking unhappy. There are child dancers who dance and jig on broken feet and look darn HAPPY and focused on stage. Other skaters skate injured, but they dont look unhappy on the ice. Of course, everyone is different. Im just saying for many athletes, an injury makes them upset bc they cant compete, dance, etc.

^^^Yes!
I'll tell you from the inside of the sport that this is very very true! The first thing someone who loves what they do says when they're injured etc is....when can I return/start training again etc...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

A lot of people blame Frank for Gracie's decline, but now with a new coach we can see whether it is the coach or the pupil who is responsible.

concorde

Medalist
I thought Marina was known for her work with ice dancers. If that is correct, I can see Gracie (or Nathan) going to her for help on skating skills (edgework) and choreography. But for a singles skater to seek her out as their primary coach, I find that strange. Maybe I am missing something.

ssffww

On the Ice
A lot of people blame Frank for Gracie's decline, but now with a new coach we can see whether it is the coach or the pupil who is responsible.

I seriously doubt it's ALL one or the other and I could care less who's to blame. I just want Gracie to be back in form and happy on the ice again. Or retired, if she really is tired of skating.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I thought Marina was known for her work with ice dancers. If that is correct, I can see Gracie (or Nathan) going to her for help on skating skills (edgework) and choreography. But for a singles skater to seek her out as their primary coach, I find that strange. Maybe I am missing something.

I think Marina can be an effective coach for a singles skater. Gracie's problem seems to be having the motivation to get out of whatever funk she's in. If Marina inspires Gracie to get back to her old form with improved artistry, it would be great to see. She seems to be on good terms now with her first coach, so he can provide the technical guidance needed.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think Marina can be an effective coach for a singles skater. Gracie's problem seems to be having the motivation to get out of whatever funk she's in. If Marina inspires Gracie to get back to her old form with improved artistry, it would be great to see. She seems to be on good terms now with her first coach, so he can provide the technical guidance needed.

That's all fine and well with Gracie being on "good terms" with Alex O, but he couldn't fix her before Nationals this past year and personally, it's kind of foolish for her to go beyond the group of coaches she has in Canton now. She has very well known jump tech coaches there, and it works fine for other singles skaters that train with her full time or part time including Chan and Chen so why not Gracie?

Her problem is getting out of her own head. If she doesn't want to be doing this anymore, then retire, no one will fault her for it. We'd rather see her happy and retired then miserable and failing horribly on the ice.

Skatingcat

Final Flight
I recently listened to an interview with another coach from a different sport who said they often could see signs of a student wishing to quit despite the competitor would be vocally saying they wanted to continue. I wish to be clear that I am in no position to assess Gracie's state of mind, nor do I mean any disrespect with my comments.

Certainly, the media coverage has not been always kind- especially in this last year. While the criticism may be overly harsh, it seems as if they are picking up the signs that she might be relieved and happier if she retired.

mrrice

Record Breaker

I agree with this comment. Especially the part about Gracie and her motivation. This is why I think her move to Marina is a good idea. Though there may not be a stable of singles skaters at her rink, there are certainly champions there. At this point, she won't be the top skater and that alone may provide some motivation. Even if they don't "Hang Out" together, just being in that type of environment can light a new spark in an athlete.

When I moved to Los Angeles it was very inspiring to be around so many talented and driven dancers. I don't know how Marina runs her rink but, I imagine just seeing the Shibs would be very motivating. Skaters have ALL had their ups and downs and sharing stories of rough times can be relief for a skater. There's nothing like a fellow skater who has "walked a mile in your skates" to get you back on track.

I am glad that Gracie is back in training and even if they don't train on the same days, she will be training in an environment of Champions. The fact that most of her training mates are not rivals will also be good for her. I still have faith and I hope Gracie still has the belief....Hopefully Marina can help her with part of her skating.

Status
Not open for further replies.