Was media harsh with Gracie Gold? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Was media harsh with Gracie Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bevybean

On the Ice
Two words:

College Football.

And if you think those kids (typically ages 18-23) or treated with kid gloves and reporters and fans are saying "well, they aren't making any money, so the media shouldn't be harsh with them", think again. They were threatening to lynch a Nebraska player on Twitter last fall.

And to me, that is exactly what is wrong with football fans. I understand being into your sport and being a die-hard fan of a team or person, but I would NEVER be so upset that I would even threaten to do harm to a sports figure. COuld you imagine threatening to lynch Gracie Gold because she popped a jump? That is just crazy and pointless.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Here's I feel about the media when it comes to Gracie, or any other elite athlete. The media isn't saying anything about Gracie that she doesn't already know. Trust me, if I'm dancing and I fall or trip while doing easy single turns or basic steps, I know I didn't do my best. I don't need the "media" to tell me. I'm sure that Gracie's friends know, I'm positive Carly knows, and most of all, Gracie knows. As far as the media is concerned, every performer has to deal with them. When the plays Annie or Oliver hit the Broadway Stage, the stars of the show can be as young as 13. Should they perform badly, they will blasted in the entertainment section of every paper in New York.

This is why a good coach and the right team are so valuable to a skater. Gracie has everything in place and now that the spotlight will be off her for a while, she can dig deep, regain her form, and hopefully her love for skating. To me, she looks uninterested in being on the ice and I hope that changes before she's in front of another audience.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Yes, thank you for better explaining my perspective on this matter.

Even when skaters are asked to explain "what went wrong" in a program, the interviewers question always seems to come from a place of "lead us through your mistakes so that we can empathize, accept, and continue to support you" rather than a more honest and accusatory questioning format. How often do we hear other athletes go on about "trusting myself and my training", "getting in my own head", "now I know how to perform"?

I guess a difference is that there are usually not tactical mistakes in figure skating. The athlete goes out trying to do what they do in practice, whereas in other sports a competitor has to respond to what the opponent is doing. When a skater underperforms, it is typically due to nerves so there isn't a whole lot of analysis that one can do.

DexterK

On the Ice
I guess a difference is that there are usually not tactical mistakes in figure skating. The athlete goes out trying to do what they do in practice, whereas in other sports a competitor has to respond to what the opponent is doing. When a skater underperforms, it is typically due to nerves so there isn't a whole lot of analysis that one can do.

I hear what you are saying, if I may continue down this train of thought...it makes interviewing a skater who has skated poorly a bit of a waste of time as they almost say nerves are responsible for the problems anyway. Though with Gracie this year, especially at nationals, I do think it was not just nerves. Practice reports from Christine Brennan say she was performing in practice the exact way she performed in competition. I think pressing her on this issue would be fair, though Gracie seemed incredibly fragile this year and perhaps in good taste it would be better to just go along with the line she was giving us. Journalistic judgment won out I guess. I say this with the idea that adult figure skaters should be treated as any other adult athlete, and yet I still feel that pushing an issue with someone who seems quite depressed is inappropriate.

Feels like I am talking in circles at this point, lol. I just want Gracie to pull it together and leave the sport on her own terms, with a sense of personal pride and success.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I want to play this scene from the movie Center Stage, for Gracie.....Between my shock of seeing Ilia in this movie, I really did like this scene. A dance teacher tells her student that it's up to her to take control of her dancing and if she wants to change, she needs to make it happen in the studio. I feel the same way about Gracie. Go back to your rink and stay there until you're ready to give your best. It will change everything and it will give you your confidence back. YOU will own the change that happens and that will be very empowering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnApvAf1A8s

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Not "talking in circles"; I think what at lot of our posts are expressing is the difficulty of wanting skating to remain kinder and more compassionate than high-profile pro sports, and yet also wanting a higher level of media attention & TV coverage than just Olympics every 4 years.

Can we have our cake & eat it too? Sadly, probably not.

qwerty

On the Ice
Anyone else see on TSL that Gracie is on the roster for Japan Open this autumn? I hope she's ready in time, and that she'll withdraw if she's not in reasonable form. Facing Medvedeva and Zagitova so early on is going to be a challenge.

princessalica

Final Flight
Just saw that. And I was surprised Ashley isn't going It's Gracie vs Karen vs medvedeva vs zagitova. Hope Gracie shones

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope knowing that she's facing the two top Russian girls that Gracie gets herself into shape or she will get embarrassed. She needs to stop skating for other people and skate for herself or just retire. Gracie seems to be the kind of person that can't say no to other people but she needs to get selfish and think of herself.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was hoping they'd send either Mirai or Mariah. Oh well there goes Team North America's chances because there's only so much that Chen, Chen, and Abbott can do to keep the boat from taking on water lol! :eek:hwell:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Gold had a decent draw with China first, which made me think she'd take it easy coming back, but now adding the Japan Open means she's fully committed to the season. In any case, JO is little more than a test event, anyway. Back in the "heyday" skatefans used to call these types of pre-season pro-ams "cheesefests", and thus never taken very seriously.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Uh, I'm pretty sure USFS gets no say in who goes to Japan Open. The Japan Open organisers pick the skaters, snd they pick based on who will sell tickets. Gracie still sells tickets in Japan.

Barb

Record Breaker
Uh, I'm pretty sure USFS gets no say in who goes to Japan Open. The Japan Open organisers pick the skaters, snd they pick based on who will sell tickets. Gracie still sells tickets in Japan.

But it is not obligatory, maybe they invited to Asheley and she declined.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But it is not obligatory, maybe they invited to Asheley and she declined.

Maybe, but I was more responding to the posts that said they wished they'd "sent" xyz skater. That seemed to imply that the poster thought the USFS had any say. Which they don't.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I was hoping they'd send either Mirai or Mariah. Oh well there goes Team North America's chances because there's only so much that Chen, Chen, and Abbott can do to keep the boat from taking on water lol! :eek:hwell:

How does this event work? Are their Canadians on the N.A. team? If so, who are they sending? I'm surprised they aren't sending Mariah Bell. I know Gracie sells tickets but, didn't she lose to Mariah at Nationals?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
How does this event work? Are their Canadians on the N.A. team? If so, who are they sending? I'm surprised they aren't sending Mariah Bell. I know Gracie sells tickets but, didn't she lose to Mariah at Nationals?

The event participants are chosen by Japan and the NA team has been a mix of Canadian and USA skaters depending on the year. One of the first years the entire NA Team was Canadian. So it all depends. My saying I had wishes for Mirai or Mariah (heck or even Gabby or Kaetlyn) were not a "OH USFS (or Team Canada) really needed to choose them over Gracie..." because that isn't how it works. I just wish someone other than Gracie would have been chosen by the proper entities.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
The event participants are chosen by Japan and the NA team has been a mix of Canadian and USA skaters depending on the year. One of the first years the entire NA Team was Canadian. So it all depends. My saying I had wishes for Mirai or Mariah (heck or even Gabby or Kaetlyn) were not a "OH USFS (or Team Canada) really needed to choose them over Gracie..." because that isn't how it works. I just wish someone other than Gracie would have been chosen by the proper entities.

Ic3Rabbit.....Does this mean that Jeremy is definitely returning to competition?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ic3Rabbit.....Does this mean that Jeremy is definitely returning to competition?

They invite a mix of eligible and ineligible skaters (hence Verner on the European Team). This says nothing of Jeremy's possible return or possible retirement.

He's been skating in this competition for several years now due to Japan loving him and vice-versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.