Was media harsh with Gracie Gold? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Was media harsh with Gracie Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrrice

Record Breaker
They invite a mix of eligible and ineligible skaters (hence Verner on the European Team). This says nothing of Jeremy's possible return or possible retirement.

He's been skating in this competition for several years now due to Japan loving him and vice-versa.

Got it. So, is this a fluff event or is it sanctioned by the ISU? Is there a history page on this event? I can't believe I don't anything about it. It sounds like the WTT on steroids....OK, I just looked at the past events and it seems Jeremy has been in this event quite a few times, including last year....I had no idea....:confused2:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Got it. So, is this a fluff event or is it sanctioned by the ISU? Is there a history page on this event? I can't believe I don't anything about it. It sounds like the WTT on steroids....

Here's the page for last years http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pair-skating-and-ice-dance/calendar-of-events/2016/10/japan-open
And just to help you out lol here is the wiki page so you can understand it a bit better (and save me alot of typing ;)). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Open_(figure_skating)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Joannie has also competed at the Japan Open several times since her retirement, so Jeremy isn't the only one. I know he hasn't officially stated whether or not he has retired, but, well.... yeah. ;) No disrespect to Jeremy was meant by that comment.

Hell, i'm surprised Plushy doesn't get invited!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Joannie has also competed at the Japan Open several times since her retirement, so Jeremy isn't the only one. I know he hasn't officially stated whether or not he has retired, but, well.... yeah. ;) No disrespect to Jeremy was meant by that comment.

:roll5:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Seriously, no disrespect at all, I just personally can't see him competing again. But that's just me; if he does, that's awesome! I like Jeremy, I'm not a hater. Same goes for Davis and White - I don't see it happening for them either, but again, that's just me. :yes:

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry, I can understand how the "... well yeah" could be considered shade throwing.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Seriously, no disrespect at all, I just personally can't see him competing again. But that's just me; if he does, that's awesome! I like Jeremy, I'm not a hater. Same goes for Davis and White - I don't see it happening for them either, but again, that's just me. :yes:

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry, I can understand how the "... well yeah" could be considered shade throwing.

LOL I never said you were shade throwing. ;)
He could and has been considering it. Davis/White on the other hand is not happening.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
LOL I never said you were shade throwing. ;)
He could and has been considering it. Davis/White on the other hand is not happening.

Heheh, ok. I wasn't sure. ;) I've been crucified in the past here for having my comments interpreted as rude sarcasm when they really weren't.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Back to the original topic on hand, I think skating fans are far more critical on Gracie than the media is. But that was likely mentioned before in here, I just got lazy and only read half of the thread. ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i have stayed away from EVERY single Gracie thread so far...

but after 129 posts in this one... i go for it ...

Media was also very kind on Gracie... They made her a star before she had any major achievements... was it pressure for her... perhaps... but at the same time, in a sport like figure skating,being presented as a star, can be a boost.

Now, she hasn't delivered, so sure, they present the other side of the story and focus on negative...

I remember the first time I watched some event where she was skating... I didn't know her... the commentator (gosh it's a while ago, forgive me for not having quotes and not even remembering if it were French of English CBC...) said something like "this is the next big star in figure skating... she has the looks, she has the jumps and even has the name... ladies and gents, this girl is going to be the biggest american star since.... etc"

and then i saw her skate... she was a teenager and i was like... okay... let's see...

so I wouldn't say that the media was always harsh on Gracie... but she is definitely someone who will attract very strong opinions from media.

mrrice

Record Breaker

I think Plushy's busy running his academy and may have declined any invitation they may have offered. I imagine they don't mention the skaters who decline the invitation. Canadians.........Has Cynthia Phanuef ever gone to this event? I miss that girl...

noskates

Record Breaker
I saw Gracie skate in Juniors at the 2012 US Nationals and she so far outclassed the other competitors. She had senior ability written all over her. I don't know what's happened, I don't know if it was FrankCarrollitis or a growth spurt or a personal problem or what - but I do think she still has it. I'm sincerely hoping she skates the hell out of her programs at Nats this coming year and leaves the competition in her dust! I still think she's the entire package. She doesn't have the newness of Mariah Bell, the trite ridiculous sex-kitten "I Am Woman" roar of Ashley, or the tiredness of Mirai (broke my heart too many times) but it's still in her to be a champion. This is obviously a make or break year for her.

As for the media being rough on her? They pale in comparison to some of the diatribe that's been posted here!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I saw Gracie skate in Juniors at the 2012 US Nationals and she so far outclassed the other competitors. She had senior ability written all over her. I don't know what's happened, I don't know if it was FrankCarrollitis or a growth spurt or a personal problem or what - but I do think she still has it. I'm sincerely hoping she skates the hell out of her programs at Nats this coming year and leaves the competition in her dust! I still think she's the entire package. She doesn't have the newness of Mariah Bell, the trite ridiculous sex-kitten "I Am Woman" roar of Ashley, or the tiredness of Mirai (broke my heart too many times) but it's still in her to be a champion. This is obviously a make or break year for her.

As for the media being rough on her? They pale in comparison to some of the diatribe that's been posted here!

This is true. I might also add that Gracie is only one season away from her last title and one of the best events of her career. Last year was probably the worst season of her entire career. I remember seeing Gracie and Angela Wang when they were Juniors and I thought they'd be fighting for Championships. Of the two, Gracie has certainly gone further. I have never given up on Angela and I won't give up on Gracie. I will say this much. I've never seen Angela or Gracie look the way that Gracie looked this summer. I guess I'll wait for Practice reports when she gets back to serious training.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
This is true. I might also add that Gracie is only one season away from her last title and one of the best events of her career. Last year was probably the worst season of her entire career. I remember seeing Gracie and Angela Wang when they were Juniors and I thought they'd be fighting for Championships. Of the two, Gracie has certainly gone further. I have never given up on Angela and I won't give up on Gracie. I will say this much. I've never seen Angela or Gracie look the way that Gracie looked this summer. I guess I'll wait for Practice reports when she gets back to serious training.

My other worry for Gracie is that she is so far behind in her preparation that I think it could increase the likelihood of injury to try to regain her form as fast as she needs to. She seems confident when discussing her chances here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LBm2pVKhtI

R.D.

Record Breaker

Yes, perhaps but remember she has to WANT that for herself as well, and by extension, WANT to put in the effort that it will take to get in position. Without both of those things in place, media and fans will continue to be disappointed by her.

Very true, yes.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Gracie has definitely put on some weight and like a dancer, 2lbs can throw you off your center and cost you the amplitude needed to get your jumps around. It doesn't matter how fast you rotate if don't get the height. Skating is a very aerobic activity and I think the extra weight will melt away as long as she's training vigorously. This is why I'd love to be a fly on the wall in her rink as I think it's a lack of desire that is holding her back more than anything else. Fingers crossed for her...

Manitou

Medalist
Nobody was harsh to anybody. She was treated fair.
The skater's job is to skate well. That's all. That's how skater's value is measured and that's the only thing she is supposed to do. It applies to all athletes and all professionals. My employer cares about my "human feelings" only as long as it adds to my professional value. If my professional value for the company is none, then my feelings don't mean squat to him. My value for him is measured how my skills and work can add to the company. That's it.
An actor is measured by his/her acting, a doctor is measured by treating illnesses. I don't care about the doctor as a generic human being. He/she can be a robot or an alien. I don't care. He/she is supposed to help me with my illness. I don't care about his/her feelings, cultural background or world views.
Gracie is a skating professional, so if she looses her ability to skate then she she is just a private person. We may hold memories of her when she used to be a skater, but again: she is a skater, and a skater is supposed to skate, not to make a big fuss about some imaginary "feelings".

Status
Not open for further replies.