Your 2017-18 Cinderella Story | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Your 2017-18 Cinderella Story

Amei

Record Breaker
Ilia Kulik Jr...aka Mikhail Kolyada beating out the Japanese and Hernandez for gold.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ilia Kulik Jr...aka Mikhail Kolyada beating out the Japanese and Hernandez for gold.

If Patrick weren't around, I'd totally want Ilia JR to win...He's so cute and expressive and I know his time will come. I just want it to be AFTER Patrick retires..

bevybean

On the Ice
What would be your idea/wished for "Cinderella Story" for the coming season?

When Paul Wylie won the Olympic Silver Medal in '92, someone (a reporter, I think) asked him how he felt about not winning the gold (paraphrasing). He looked astonished and said, "How much more of a Cinderella Story do you guys want?"

Until the '92 Olympics, Paul had never finished better than 9th at Worlds. He was 27 years old when he won Olympic silver, but he looked young and maybe the media didn't make a big deal of it, IDK.

After winning Jr. Worlds in 1981, Paul had competed as a senior, coming in 4th at Nationals the year Scott Hamilton won the '84 Olympics. From 1987 to 1992, he came in either 2nd or 3rd at Nationals every year.

So what would be your "Cinderella Story" for the coming season? It could be an Olympic story, a Worlds story, or one for the books at a Nationals ... you have free rein!

Actually, the media did make a big deal. Or at least one reporter who implied that Paul was "stealing" a spot from a younger competitor who would be more likely to medal. (Not a specific person, just the idea that someone younger could do better.) And that inspired him to work so hard at doing well. He felt he needed to prove that he was worthy of his spot.

I hear this from someone who worked with him recently. Which does make the information a bit second-hand. Maybe someone here can confirm??

sc8

On the Ice
I was about to post the same thing, it would be pretty cool to see her come back recovered from injuries and skate clean like she did in 2014.

I'd love to see her make the Olympic team too. It's an uphill climb, but that's a Cinderella story I'd enjoy watching unfold.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I might add if Aliona and Bruno could win her third olympic bronze would be a great Cinderealla moment.

anyanka

Record Breaker
- Anna overcomes disastrous worlds to get on the team, then wins OGM over Zhenya
- The surprise individual bronze medal at OG will go to Gracie
- Yuko & Sasha taking a spot on the Olympic team, they win an Olympic medal at last (but in team, either gold or silver)
- Olympic ice dance podium: 1) V/M, 2) P/C, and 3) ... W/P, over all the Americans, C/L and B/S
- Chen wins Olympic men's title
- Aljona finally wins OGM with Bruno in pairs

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
If Patrick wins the Team event along with his peers, I'll consider the Canadian curse to be broken in a sense even if he doesn't win the individual title in men (though I hope he can bring in and land two quads along with his nemesis 3A in the SP). Winning the team event in South Korea is quite a reachable dream for Patrick. One big foot step leads to another. :)

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I'm going to throw plausibility out of the window, and say that I want the Shibs to win gold in Pyeongchang.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Paul Wylie was 27??????!!!!!!!

But he looks like a 16 year old Joshua Farris!!!! :shocked::eekn:

Yes! I didn't know this until I read Scott Hamilton's book; it was a shock to me that they competed at the same time. He does look like Josh from the neck up ... I can't get past Paul's short legs and 7" less in height than Joshua, otherwise. ;)

Actually, the media did make a big deal. Or at least one reporter who implied that Paul was "stealing" a spot from a younger competitor who would be more likely to medal. (Not a specific person, just the idea that someone younger could do better.) And that inspired him to work so hard at doing well. He felt he needed to prove that he was worthy of his spot.

I hear this from someone who worked with him recently. Which does make the information a bit second-hand. Maybe someone here can confirm??

I wasn't paying attention to the media at the time; as I said, I didn't know. Without looking it up, I'd be inclined to believe that it would be seen by some fans and reporters as controversial. All the more reason for his comment.

To be clear, my Wished-for result at 1992 Olympics would be for Kurt Browning to have won the gold. But I love Paul's answer to the question, calling it a Cinderella story. Which reminds us that however clear it is that such-and-such a skater/team seems a foregone conclusion, the performance on the day matters and anything can happen!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
To be clear, my Wished-for result at 1992 Olympics would be for Kurt Browning to have won the gold. But I love Paul's answer to the question, calling it a Cinderella story. Which reminds us that however clear it is that such-and-such a skater/team seems a foregone conclusion, the performance on the day matters and anything can happen!

^^^^^YES YES YES YES YES!:clap:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Patrick or Adam for GOLD!:yay:

Patrick and Julia seem to be the favorite candidates for Cinderella in this thread. I've enjoyed reading everyone's answers. Personally, I'd love to see Julia just be on the Russian team, which now looks like it would take a miracle.

I do think that Adam making the US team, much less winning gold (or silver or bronze?) would be the truest comparison to Cinderella, and to Paul Wylie, so far. If he would just make it to PyongChang and have the skate of his life there regardless of the result, it would be a dream come true. Or Worlds, if he were to medal even in a slightly less difficult field. I know the OG is the biggest prize, but it's not the only thing to aspire to.

Which raises a fun speculation, might USFS appoint different men to OG and Worlds? hmmm. It could depend on GP performance.

chillgil

Match Penalty
id want to see fernandez taking OGM if only for the hilarious fall out on all the forums ;) i just love that he will always be the eternal underdog...even as 2x worlds champ even i forget about him in my predictions for podiums

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In addition to being the eternal underdog, Javi has something else in common with Ashley Wagner ... He's first and foremost a performer in his heart. When Javi and Ashley put together the complete skate, they're both dazzling. I'd love to see Javi win OGM for the sake of his skating, and also because he's said he's focusing on doing what he can do best, and his dedication to doing it well.

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At 1992 nationals Paul was the sentimental favorite for an Olympic spot as for years he would skate well at nationals often receiving many 6.0s for artistic impression and struggle at worlds. Apparently worlds always fell around exam time at Harvard perhaps being the reason he struggled so much at worlds. In 1992 his closest competitor was Mark Mitchell who had been steadily closing the gap on Paul with his consistency. Also an artistic skater who struggled as well with his triple axel, Mark skated quite well at nationals while Wylie missed only his triple axel. In a close desicion and Dick Button's sentimental commentary, Paul was chosen to go to Olympics and Mark to go to worlds - a split decision. At the time Mark had not been to worlds and it seems experience played a role. Paul also was not going to school that semester and would not be hampered with pressure from exams at competition time. The rest is history.

Barb

Record Breaker
I would say the Shibs getting the gold, but in my opinion it seems quite realistic. So, I will go with Gracie winning the olympic gold, that would be epic and very cinderella after her struggles the last months.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Like, imagine if Dennis Vasiljevs or Angelina Kutchvalska or Brendan Kerry or Leona Hendrix all of sudden became a threat? Who wouldn't want to see a wrench thrown in the standings? I'm tired of predictable results.

You mean kind of like Denis Ten did at the Sochi Games in 2014?

If Brendan won the OBM, you probably wouldn't see me here for a few days, because I'd be passed out on the floor from absolute joy. And then I'd probably alternate between crying in happiness and being passed out for the next year. :laugh:

And then I suspect Australia would have a huge surge in figure skating popularity...

Paul Wylie was 27??????!!!!!!!

But he looks like a 16 year old Joshua Farris!!!! :shocked::eekn:

Oh my god, he does!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
came back to this thread after a few days... so happy that many people are wishing well for Patrick....

i don't care that perhaps people do not think he can do it, so that it does constitute a cinderella story... the positive wishes are something we haven't seen for Patrick outside of our beloved fan fest.

THANKS to all who have contributed in sending love to Patrick.

-signed, a surprised but blessed hardcore chiddy fan ;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
id want to see fernandez taking OGM if only for the hilarious fall out on all the forums ;) i just love that he will always be the eternal underdog...even as 2x worlds champ even i forget about him in my predictions for podiums

I don't think Fernadez is the underdog. I think Chan is far more the underdog. Fernandez is kind of cheap version of Candelero or Browning. Personality skater but really has not done great with other stuff. But with his quads he could still do it. Believe.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I don't know if Patrick winning a medal at the Olympic Games would be what I understand to be a Cinderella story. He has Olympic Silver and is a three time World Champion.

As for Fernandez - he is his own worst enemy and that's why he is the underdog. I don't think there would be an outcry if Javier wins the OGM. If he's the best on that day, why not? Unfortunately I do think he doesn't have the nerves. Actually he is in the best position of all. The most pressure is on Hanyu.

Mai Mihara winning the OGM would be the ultimate Cinderella story. :popcorn: