Your 2017-18 Cinderella Story | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Your 2017-18 Cinderella Story

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Mai Mihara winning medal will be ultimate Cindarella story, the girl who was diagnosed arthritis , was in danger never be able to skate again ,who had to watch 2016 Japanese Nationals from hospital bed and dreaming of making Olympic Team wining the olympic medal ( any color) will be a true Cindarella story.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Satoko Miyahara comes back after her hip fracture and medals at the Olympics. :)

Tulipstar

Medalist
Mai Mihara winning medal will be ultimate Cindarella story, the girl who was diagnosed arthritis , was in danger never be able to skate again ,who had to watch 2016 Japanese Nationals from hospital bed and dreaming of making Olympic Team wining the olympic medal ( any color) will be a true Cindarella story.

Not to mention her already having skated to the theme;)

waterfall braid

On the Ice
I would love to see Gracie come back strong and have super season where she medals at olympics and worlds.

Q
Julia gets her bearings back and brings it old school like her 15 year old self creating sort of a Cinderella II. Oh please...make it so :)
Julia making the the Russian Olympic team again would be perfect!

That would be amazing!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't know if Patrick winning a medal at the Olympic Games would be what I understand to be a Cinderella story. He has Olympic Silver and is a three time World Champion.

As for Fernandez - he is his own worst enemy and that's why he is the underdog. I don't think there would be an outcry if Javier wins the OGM. If he's the best on that day, why not? Unfortunately I do think he doesn't have the nerves. Actually he is in the best position of all. The most pressure is on Hanyu.

Mai Mihara winning the OGM would be the ultimate Cinderella story. :popcorn:

for patrick : the context.

mai : if she keeps her cinderella lp :)

Barb

Record Breaker

rheumatoid arthritis? OMG! :(

andromache

Record Breaker
OGMs for Patrick or Javi

OGMs for any lady who isn't Evgenia, Alina, or Marin Honda

Olympic medals of any color for Liza, Anna, Ashley, Gracie, or Mirai

Yulia, Max Aaron, or Adam Rippon making their Olympic teams

mrrice

Record Breaker
This isn't a Cinderella Story but, I'd love to see Evgenia and Kaetlyn tie and be given duel OGM's. IMO, these ladies are a cut above the rest of the field. There are several strong ladies in the field and I think 2018 might be one the best skated events in history.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
rheumatoid arthritis? OMG! :(

Yes,rheumatoid arthritis, it is especially horrible for a sportsperson. last year she spent several months in hospital and there was a real danger of never coming back on ice, You can read more about her in her fanfest.
At the age of 7 she watched Mao's JWC performance and decided to become a figure skater,while being in hospital she said Mao's performances gave her courage ...The Caprice ex she skated at WTT gala was dedicated to Mao as I have read. So, for me Mai making Oly team and medaling there will be really a Cindarella story, Actually she already had one this season when a girl from nowhere with Cindrella program medaled at GPs, won 4 cc and placed 5th at WC. :biggrin:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
This isn't a Cinderella Story but, I'd love to see Evgenia and Kaetlyn tie and be given duel OGM's. IMO, these ladies are a cut above the rest of the field. There are several strong ladies in the field and I think 2018 might be one the best skated events in history.

Oh gosh, I think they'd have to have the same exact scores in the SP and LP and for the TES and PCS on both portions because I believe the tie breaking procedures use the LP as the tiebreaker in case of a tie. What are the tie breaking procedures for skating? I know the IOC probably made the ISU have a few steps in tie breaking because it doesn't want ties for subjectively judged sports. In gymnastics, the FIG allows ties to stand at their competitions, but for the Olympics, they have to break ties.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I don't think Fernadez is the underdog. I think Chan is far more the underdog. Fernandez is kind of cheap version of Candelero or Browning. Personality skater but really has not done great with other stuff. But with his quads he could still do it. Believe.

Ever since I discovered him with his ex in 2014, I always thought of Fernandez as a "Candeloro without the s*x". It also annoys me than noone complains about how over scored he is because that means he manages to beat he-who-shall-not-be-named. I'd love to see patrick chan on that podium much more.

Also Gabby Daleman for olympics bronze.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I would :love: for Javi to win the OGM!

I wouldn't mind this either! He's worked very hard, he's won 2 World titles in the past quad. To call him a substandard Browning or Candeloro is actually kind of a compliment - because obviously you're talking showmanship and you're putting him in the same sentence as two of the greatest. Newsflash: pretty much every skater today is a substandard version of Browning/Candeloro in terms of showmanship (Browning) or sex appeal (Candeloro). Not really a fair comparison, or to deride him for not being at their level. Not to mention, Candeloro/Browning didn't have the criteria/demands of IJS to deal with... Candeloro's sword-fighting footwork was stunning and entertaining, but it's still a level 1.

Javier might not be the "right" skater to win - given some people pre-conceived notions of what an Olympic champion should be technically and/or artistically speaking - but he would certainly be a worthy winner.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
for patrick : the context.

mai : if she keeps her cinderella lp :)

Well, I was thinking of Cinderella story as the OP described it. A skater who is on no one's radar and hasn't got a medal at Worlds yet. So for me, that would not be Patrick Chan. And that's nothing against Patrick, all of Hanyu, Fernandez, Uno, Jin and even Chen on that podium are not Cinderella material for me. For the men, perhaps a medal for Nam Nguyen or Jun Hwan Cha would fall into that category.

Concerning Mai, I don't want her to keep that LP, but this and her sickness history made me think of a true Cinderella story. I have my doubts that she will be chosen for the team though. But we'll see.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well, I was thinking of Cinderella story as the OP described it. A skater who is on no one's radar and hasn't got a medal at Worlds yet. So for me, that would not be Patrick Chan. And that's nothing against Patrick, all of Hanyu, Fernandez, Uno, Jin and even Chen on that podium are not Cinderella material for me. For the men, perhaps a medal for Nam Nguyen or Jun Hwan Cha would fall into that category.

Concerning Mai, I don't want her to keep that LP, but this and her sickness history made me think of a true Cinderella story. I have my doubts that she will be chosen for the team though. But we'll see.

fair enough...

however, patrick hasn't medaled at WC since his come back... best he has done is 5th... so it remains a long shot for him ;) that's what i mean by the context. in 2014... definitely, he was the favourite... but here, not really. Sure, he is well known and decorated.

then in that case, a skater with no medals at worlds, coming out of nowhere???? i guess there are slim pickings for men.... aside from some of the americans.

blueberryhill

On the Ice
Ever since I discovered him with his ex in 2014, I always thought of Fernandez as a "Candeloro without the s*x". It also annoys me than noone complains about how over scored he is because that means he manages to beat he-who-shall-not-be-named. I'd love to see patrick chan on that podium much more.

Also Gabby Daleman for olympics bronze.
I have. Here is my post after this year's world championships which unfortunately I'm unable to access because it's archived. (This link doesn't work for me.)
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?63798-How-judges-place-GOE/page5

This is part of what I wrote:
For the record, i am hereby noting a 10 was given by judge #8 for interpretation given to Javi in his 2017 world's fs. Imo, it was an example of very poor judging. Five errors (one bad disruptive fall, a wonky popped jump and three step-outs) should not receive a perfect 10.

Since this thread is about goe , in the fs judge 7 gave javi a -2 for his 4S splat and a +1 for his very messy 2F seq.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Nonsense. There's been plenty of complaint about his overscoring. I've been one of them.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wouldn't mind this either! He's worked very hard, he's won 2 World titles in the past quad. To call him a substandard Browning or Candeloro is actually kind of a compliment - because obviously you're talking showmanship and you're putting him in the same sentence as two of the greatest. Newsflash: pretty much every skater today is a substandard version of Browning/Candeloro in terms of showmanship (Browning) or sex appeal (Candeloro). Not really a fair comparison, or to deride him for not being at their level. Not to mention, Candeloro/Browning didn't have the criteria/demands of IJS to deal with... Candeloro's sword-fighting footwork was stunning and entertaining, but it's still a level 1.

Javier might not be the "right" skater to win - given some people pre-conceived notions of what an Olympic champion should be technically and/or artistically speaking - but he would certainly be a worthy winner.

Just for the record, I'm not the one who referred to Javi as a substandard version of Philippe Candeloro. While Philippe was a showman (I loved his 1998 Olympic D'Artagnan, even though I was heartbroken for Todd) I found his "sexy" programs somewhat embarrassing (especially his "pro" programs). Kurt is the ultimate showman IMHO, but Javi certainly has the charm & can deliver his programs convincingly & in a very entertaining way.

Other wishes -that Lyubov gets her Canadian citizenship in time for the Olympics.

Max & Adam make the US Olympic team.

Satoko Miahara - may she completely recover in time for the Olympics & skate lights out!

Shibs on the dance podium

That Kaetlyn, Gabby, & Ashley contend for the ladies' podium

That Gracie regains her form for the Olympic season & rebuilds her confidence.