Your 2017-18 Cinderella Story | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Your 2017-18 Cinderella Story

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Javier is a vastly superior skater to Candeloro in almost every way.

i agree with that... javier had to work very hard for that too... i didn't believe much in him at the beginning... skating wise he left me very cold, but he has improved a lot. I still do not believe he always deserves the huge scores he gets ...
I never liked Candeloro... i thought his programs were so empty and never thought he was attractive in the first place... so all his sexy tricks made me think about cheap acts... but back then, the field wasn't as deep and he did deliver when it counted so kudos to Philippe.

Love the idea for this thread! :)

Personally, I've really missed Polina Edmunds since 2015-16 Nationals, and I'm hoping she returns for the Olympic season. I would love to see her come back from her year away with her full technical arsenal and more maturity as a performer -- and, as long as we're talking Cinderella stories, shock everyone by placing first at Nationals! I think she has it in her... but no matter what happens, I'll be happy just to see her participating again.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States

Personally, I've really missed Polina Edmunds since 2015-16 Nationals, and I'm hoping she returns for the Olympic season. I would love to see her come back from her year away with her full technical arsenal and more maturity as a performer -- and, as long as we're talking Cinderella stories, shock everyone by placing first at Nationals! I think she has it in her... but no matter what happens, I'll be happy just to see her participating again.

100 percent agree!! :dance: cannot wait to see her again especially in San Jose....

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
My wish is for a few of the Japanese, Olympic eligible, Pair and Ice Dance teams to have breakout seasons and be competitive enough for Japan to seriously contend for an Olympic Team medal. :biggrin:

bevybean

On the Ice

I want to like Polina, but she lacks "stage presence" --which I mean in the broader sense of live or on camera. Unfortunately, that can't really be taught. She is definitely more consistent in terms of jumps than anyone else the US has in ladies right now. I'm hoping that perhaps some of her lack of presence is due to awkward teenager-ness, but it might not be. I think it makes the music and choreo a much more critical thing for her in order to gain some artistry to her programs. I'm not familiar with the music she has, so I can't comment as to whether I think it will suit her. I hoping it does though.

asp11

Just a dedicated fan - not a skater
On the Ice
My hope for a Cinderella story this season is for some skater from a non-big-three figure skating country to make it big. Like, be super consistent and throw down awesome jumps and artistry and come from out of nowhere! That'll be so fun! Like, imagine if Dennis Vasiljevs or Angelina Kutchvalska or Brendan Kerry or Leona Hendrix all of sudden became a threat? Who wouldn't want to see a wrench thrown in the standings? I'm tired of predictable results.
:2thumbs:

That would be awesome!

sc8

On the Ice
Oh, I have such a soft spot in my heart for Mirai. She'd have to be really fit to pull it off, but a Cinderella ending to her competitive career would be wonderful. Olympic team, skate the short for US team, earn a team medal (likely in race with Russia and Canada), and have two great skates. I want her to end on a real high note and an Olympic medal.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I want to like Polina, but she lacks "stage presence" --which I mean in the broader sense of live or on camera. Unfortunately, that can't really be taught. She is definitely more consistent in terms of jumps than anyone else the US has in ladies right now. I'm hoping that perhaps some of her lack of presence is due to awkward teenager-ness, but it might not be. I think it makes the music and choreo a much more critical thing for her in order to gain some artistry to her programs. I'm not familiar with the music she has, so I can't comment as to whether I think it will suit her. I hoping it does though.

I honestly think there was a bit of gawky awkwardness to Polina after Sochi that I'm hoping she dealt with because I loved her skating with her Klimova-choreographed programs in 2013-2014. I think she has it in her to be a really special skater. I find her more compelling to watch than Gracie Gold or Ashley Wagner. Gold has the skating skills and power, when on, to really excite though while I know people love Ashley's shimmying and faces, but I never bought them and they seem to be girl trying too hard but not actually being herself (like with her Sweet Dreams SP and that shallow Muse LP or almost all of her exhibitions I've seen). However, I can't deny that people do connect with Wagner and she always tries to give a performance.

Nika09

On the Ice
OGM for Anna or little cute cinderella-Mai would be super fairytalish! Mai 's genuine happiness and airy skating was joy to watch this season, even without knowing about her health condition. But to be more realistic nowadays, in that field, making Olympic team and then OM of any color is gonna be true Cinderella story for her.

Possible OGM for anyone who isn't among "Top6 Men" is rather like horror movie than Cinderella story though.

bevybean

On the Ice
I honestly think there was a bit of gawky awkwardness to Polina after Sochi that I'm hoping she dealt with because I loved her skating with her Klimova-choreographed programs in 2013-2014. I think she has it in her to be a really special skater. I find her more compelling to watch than Gracie Gold or Ashley Wagner. Gold has the skating skills and power, when on, to really excite though while I know people love Ashley's shimmying and faces, but I never bought them and they seem to be girl trying too hard but not actually being herself (like with her Sweet Dreams SP and that shallow Muse LP or almost all of her exhibitions I've seen). However, I can't deny that people do connect with Wagner and she always tries to give a performance.

I hope you're right. She really seem to be very consistent technically and I find it almost cruel for her to be lacking in that one thing. She's so close to being the whole package.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
As a true Cinderella story, I would love to see Courtney Hicks put it all together this year and have a great season. Maybe even on Olympic team. I'm looking forward to seeing the effect that a full year with Todd/Jenni has on her skating.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Oh, I have such a soft spot in my heart for Mirai. She'd have to be really fit to pull it off, but a Cinderella ending to her competitive career would be wonderful. Olympic team, skate the short for US team, earn a team medal (likely in race with Russia and Canada), and have two great skates. I want her to end on a real high note and an Olympic medal.

Me too! She has improved a lot and is pushing the difficulty envelope despite being older than the average skater. I would love her to make a second Olympic team (she should have tied for bronze in 2010.

TGee

Record Breaker
Other wishes -that Lyubov gets her Canadian citizenship in time for the Olympics.

That yes!....

There's a great deal of silence [likely wise until it's all resolved], but one has to wonder why getting permanent resident status has seemed to be a sticky wicket....She reported having obtained a work visa quite a while ago. Getting from permanent resident to citizen seems not overly challenging for an elite athlete placing well at Worlds...The exceptional process sounds to have shifted from Orders in Council [i.e. a Cabinet committee decision] to Minister's authority since 2010.

So, holding our breath and thinking positive thoughts that all gets done before the IOC cut-off...

By the way, she is using Lubov Ilyushechkina as the latinized version of her name in Canada [where it has legal status]. The ISU seems to have it's own idea about how it transliterates names from Cyrillic...and updated her surname to match the one she uses now, but did something different with her personal name.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That yes!....

There's a great deal of silence [likely wise until it's all resolved], but one has to wonder why getting permanent resident status has seemed to be a sticky wicket....She reported having obtained a work visa quite a while ago. Getting from permanent resident to citizen seems not overly challenging for an elite athlete placing well at Worlds...The exceptional process sounds to have shifted from Orders in Council [i.e. a Cabinet committee decision] to Minister's authority since 2010.

So, holding our breath and thinking positive thoughts that all gets done before the IOC cut-off...

Lubov does have permanent resident status by now I believe. She's on the Athlete Assistance Program Carding List SC put out (though the link isn't working now), and apparently this is the first season she's carded and getting funding from this source because she had to be a PR.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley Wagner builds momentum, credibility, and confidence with her two GP assignments. SC has always been a good competition for her, so it's possible for her to start out the season with a great skate and a happy result.

Then she wins Skate America in November, with a nice high score ... as the scores in the later events tend to be higher than early events.

She medals in the Grand Prix Final. I'm thinking silver.

She wins Nationals in a squeaker, and goes to the Olympics as America's No. 1 female single skater. Or, she wins silver or bronze and arrives in Pyongchang with something to prove. I can't decide. :drama:

She wins the Olympic Silver Medal in the individual event, proving to her critics, yet again, that it's not smart to count her out. (I'm thinking of Cinderella's Stepmother here. :laugh:)

One or two of the above happens with Ashley triumphantly completing the Skate of Her Life, like at 2016 Worlds.

Barb

Record Breaker
She wins the Olympic Silver Medal in the individual event, proving to her critics, yet again, that it's not smart to count her out. (I'm thinking of Cinderella's Stepmother here. :laugh:)

One or two of the above happens with Ashley triumphantly completing the Skate of Her Life, like at 2016 Worlds.

It is just a dream, give her the gold medal!!