2017-2018 U.S. Ice Dance | Golden Skate

2017-2018 U.S. Ice Dance

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
The first dance competition of the season, the Chesapeake Open, is June 21st-24th.

http://comp.entryeeze.com/Home.aspx?cid=293

Among a good many other skaters, there are 17 junior ice dance teams signed up, including Carreira & Ponomarenko, Lewis & Bye, the Greens, Gropman & Somerville, Gunter & Wein, Efimenko & Petrov, and--moving up to juniors this season--Haines & Koszuta (2017 novice gold) & the Elders (2016-17 novice bronze). As well as the 7th & 9th place finishers from novices. Plus five new junior teams, including new partnerships for Cameron Colluci (2015 novice silver), Luca Becker (2014 novice gold), and Avonley Nguyen (2016 intermediate silver).

larat

On the Ice
Can you share competition schedule listing out Junior teams competing in short and free dance events?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Can you share competition schedule listing out Junior teams competing in short and free dance events?

They say it's a tentative schedule and don't seem to have anything by couple yet. I found this about dance:

Logsdon Rink - Thu, Jun 22, 2017 (practice)
5:35 PM 6:00 PM Junior/Senior SD Couples Dance
6:00 PM 6:25 PM Junior/Senior SD Couples Dance
6:25 PM 6:50 PM Junior/Senior SD Couples Dance

Resor Rink - Thu, Jun 22, 2017
7:30 PM 7:55 PM Senior Couples Short Dance (IJS)
7:55 PM 9:45 PM Junior Couples Short Dance (IJS)

Logsdon Rink - Fri, Jun 23, 2017 (practice)
11:05 AM 11:30 AM Junior Dance Couples Dance
11:30 AM 11:55 AM Junior Dance Couples Dance
11:55 AM 12:20 PM Junior Dance Couples Dance

Resor Rink - Fri, Jun 23, 2017
1:30 PM 3:10 PM Junior Couples Free Dance (IJS)

I assume the IJS ones are the ones we're interested in, but I wasn't sure.
ETA : The IJS ones are the competition times. The others are practice times.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I was wondering who has registered for short and free by name.

Who are you interested in? I don't think a team-specific schedule is posted. If you want to know about a specific team & the coach's information is public, you can go to the link on the top, then the coaches' link, select the specific coach in the drop down menu, and it will show the teams under that coach as well as what dances/disciplines they signed up for. (Shpilband's & Wheaton's teams are listed. Most are competing in both dances. Nguyen & Kolesnik are only doing the free). With 17 junior teams, I would guess there may be two separate groups competing this year. There were two groups two years ago when a lot of teams signed up.

gkelly

Record Breaker
They say it's a tentative schedule and don't seem to have anything by couple yet. I found this about dance:

Logsdon Rink - Thu, Jun 22, 2017
5:35 PM 6:00 PM Junior/Senior SD Couples Dance
6:00 PM 6:25 PM Junior/Senior SD Couples Dance
6:25 PM 6:50 PM Junior/Senior SD Couples Dance

Resor Rink - Thu, Jun 22, 2017
7:30 PM 7:55 PM Senior Couples Short Dance (IJS)
7:55 PM 9:45 PM Junior Couples Short Dance (IJS)

Logsdon Rink - Fri, Jun 23, 2017
11:05 AM 11:30 AM Junior Dance Couples Dance
11:30 AM 11:55 AM Junior Dance Couples Dance
11:55 AM 12:20 PM Junior Dance Couples Dance

Resor Rink - Fri, Jun 23, 2017
1:30 PM 3:10 PM Junior Couples Free Dance (IJS)

I assume the IJS ones are the ones we're interested in, but I wasn't sure.

I'm guessing that the blue-shaded times (the ones in the Logsdon rink for junior and senior couples dance) are practice sessions.

concorde

Medalist
The IJS is a reference to the actual competition; the others (blue shaded) are practice times.

Please note that some of the practice sessions times were revised from yesterday morning (when they were posted) and today. Not sure if those revisions will affect the sessions mentioned avove.

larat

On the Ice
top 8 in Junior SD

Lewis/Bye 56.23
Green/Green 55.25
Gunter/Wein 47.85
Cesanek/Usanov 45.04
Elder/Elder 44.76
Amoia/Becker 44.08
Haines/Koszuta 43.14
Efimova/Petrov 41.17
Last edited: Friday at 3:42 PM

concorde

Medalist
We ended up seeing the last flight of the Junior free dance.

When I asked about how the Greens did, I was told they withdrew. Everyone seemed surprised.

Barb

Record Breaker

When I asked about how the Greens did, I was told they withdrew. Everyone seemed surprised.

I hope they are ok. And Christina and Anthony? Apparently they were going to skate their free program.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

Gropman & Somerville withdrew as well.

It's an interesting start to the season, nonetheless. A good six junior teams here finishing somewhere between last season's fifth place finishers and seventh place finishers from Nationals. A lot more depth--and maybe movement?--in the middle of the ranks. I'm curious about whether some of these new and former novice teams will be able to earn their way onto the ISP and JGP. There is a lot more depth, as well as some international experience, among this year's new junior teams compared to last season's. Lake Placid will be fun!

Lutzlvr

Rinkside
Gropman & Somerville withdrew as well.

It's an interesting start to the season, nonetheless. A good six junior teams here finishing somewhere between last season's fifth place finishers and seventh place finishers from Nationals. A lot more depth--and maybe movement?--in the middle of the ranks. I'm curious about whether some of these new and former novice teams will be able to earn their way onto the ISP and JGP. There is a lot more depth, as well as some international experience, among this year's new junior teams compared to last season's. Lake Placid will be fun!
Do you mean pointwise in the FD? I think because there is only one step sequence and 1 choreo element this season compared to 2 step sequences last season, the base value is lower this season. So if we adjust for the lower base value, something like 4th- 6th?

Historically, does being in the ISP mean probable assignment, not necessarily JGP but even something like Bavarian?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Do you mean pointwise in the FD?

No, I mean roughly behind the Greens, who were 5th at Junior Nationals, and ahead of Efimova & Petrov, who were seventh. Head-to-head.

At this event, roughly in between, we had:

Nguyen & Kolesnik (not yet sure if they are competing for the U.S. or Ukraine or if they need to wait for a release)
Gunter & Wein
The Elders
Amoia & Becker
Haines & Koszuta

And in the short, there were Cesanek & Usanov. In the free were Fey & Niva and Rose & Michel.

We have 14 U.S. dance spots on the JGP. Carreira & Ponomarenko, Lewis & Bye, and the Greens have a good shot at earning two each. Gropman & Somerville are likely to get at least one, assuming they are ready to compete. But I think it's worth watching to see if any of the new junior teams can earn their way onto the JGP. (Last year, no teams were added until late in the season; but unlike last year, many of these teams have athletes with national credentials. There are quite a few novice & intermediate medalists on the list above).

There are no guarantees for getting an assignment when you are on the ISP. It's just a good sign.

Currently, in addition to C&P, L&B, the Greens, and G&S, the other teams listed in the ISP are Gunter & Wein, Efimova & Petrov, and Avaz & Katzman. (It's entirely possible all three could be invited onto the JGP and there could still be openings. It's also possible that some of these other teams may be more competitive). I think it's worth watching how the summer unfolds.

mom2cavs

Rinkside
Can't say for positive but I heard Avaz and Katzmann are no longer a team and that he has a new partner and they will skate for Isreal.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Can't say for positive but I heard Avaz and Katzmann are no longer a team and that he has a new partner and they will skate for Isreal.

Sounds plausible. A&K don't appear to have attended dance camp and their go fund me page is down.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I really think that the shibutanis need to go for a Julianne and Derek Hough kind of routine. Julianne and Derek perform together all the time with creative, cool, brother-sister appropriate choreography. They're forced to think outside the box instead of doing the same old romantic routine everyone else does. I wonder if that has ever been considered.

Barb

Record Breaker
I really think that the shibutanis need to go for a Julianne and Derek Hough kind of routine. Julianne and Derek perform together all the time with creative, cool, brother-sister appropriate choreography. They're forced to think outside the box instead of doing the same old romantic routine everyone else does. I wonder if that has ever been considered.

Their programs are not romantic, and they have shown variety, especially in short dances. And Maia and Alex are fans, they have some photos with the Houghs https://www.instagram.com/p/BSyYv6nDnd2/?taken-by=alexshibutani

I don´t know much about Derek and Julianne, but it seems that they dance a lot with other partners, that gives them an opportunity for more variety. We do not know if they would have become so famous if they were forced to dance together 100% of the time, because some people feel uncomfortable watching siblings dancing and other people do not feel uncomfortable but they are only attracted to romantic or sexy dances.