Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My daughter starts skating tomorrow!

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!

Go Ad-Free! Become a GS Supporter! Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    IceRabbit's recommendations are good (I was working on the assumption that you would be skating too). I know you're afraid she'll get cold, but she'll get colder still if she's in a coat that goes down to her knees, restricting her movement and making it hard to get up from the ice when she falls (and she will fall). You don't mention how old she is, but you would be surprised how quickly some little kids can go from taking their first steps to zooming around like little speedsters.
    This is very good advice. I didn't start to train seriously until I was in Junior High School. Because I was a dancer first, I wore sweats and leg warmers to my first session It was huge mistake. Especially the sweats. Once they get wet, they will NOT dry for the rest of your session. Mine were so wet that they became heavy and if they hadn't had a draw string, they would have fallen off. After that I wore spandex pants (Very 80's) a sweat shirt and sometimes I'd wear a Beanie/Nit Cap. Gloves.....with fingers were also a good tool.

0 Not allowed!
    I thought I'd mention that Plushenko's academy has an Instagram account where they post clips from the school:

https://www.instagram.com/angelsofplushenko/

Everything from small children - beginners - to older ones; might be fun to see the kind of things the children might be learning (for instance, I never thought of bowing lessons. )

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria77 View Post
    Hello everybody!

My daughter has her first skating lesson tomorrow and I want to get advice on how to dress. I'm going to have my daughter wear her knee length puffer coat with a fleece jacket and puffer vest underneath. She will also have on snow pants, gloves, and a hat. I'm planning on dressing similarly. What advice do you Skate Moms have for dressing for the rink?

Victoria
    I wasn't sure how to take your thread. Is it a joke? Why is it in this category as usually it is about competitive skaters. But assuming you are serious. She needs to dress comfortable enough to move and she will get "warmer" though it is a rink. Comfortable means clothes that are not too constricting, won't get caught or cause her to trip and yet allow for warmth to give her comfort. Layers sometimes work but puffiness is not great for a skater. Skating mom is fine but not the one with the lesson.

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    How old is your daughter?

When my daughter started (age 3 then), we put her in ski pants, ski jacket, gloves, and a helmet. That was in the winter. Since you are starting in summer, then I would swap out the ski jacket and put her in a fleece.

By the end of probably 8-week session, she will move around enough so that the ski pants will be too heavy.

6 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I wasn't sure how to take your thread. Is it a joke? Why is it in this category as usually it is about competitive skaters. But assuming you are serious. She needs to dress comfortable enough to move and she will get "warmer" though it is a rink. Comfortable means clothes that are not too constricting, won't get caught or cause her to trip and yet allow for warmth to give her comfort. Layers sometimes work but puffiness is not great for a skater. Skating mom is fine but not the one with the lesson.
    Skater Boy, it's as simple as a new poster not realizing The Lutz Corner exists, and accidentally posting in The Edge instead. Nothing more. I reported it to the mods so that they could move it to the proper location!

As for the OP, you've gotten some great recommendations. If you're really worried about her being cold, dress her as most people have been suggested, and then also bring an extra jacket to keep with you. High chances are that she won't need it. But it may help calm your own worries down by having it "just in case"

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!

Go Ad-Free! Become a GS Supporter! Thank you
    I wanted to follow up on my earlier comment. When my daughter had her first lessons, parents stood off the rink and watched their kids from behind the hockey glass.

You may want to call the rink and ask how "warm" the rink is. At one rink where my daughter did a summer competition a couple of years back, all spectators sat in the stands wearing shorts and t-shirts. At a different summer competition, all spectators were in winter coats and wrapped in blankets. Our home rink is a happy medium and a fleece jacket for spectators tend to be ok.

After you go to the rink for awhile, you will learn that each rink has "hot" and "cold" spectator seats and these vary by time of year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2