Skate bag? | Golden Skate

Skate bag?

renla

Rinkside
So I'm approaching my two month mark of skating and I don't have a skate bag yet. Most of the kids at my rink have Zucas, and I know I don't want to pay that much money for those. Another adult skater has a Grit, and I liked how much space it had inside. Plus I think I remember her saying it has a little strip you can stand on to change clothes. I'll be skating directly after work so I'd make good use of that. But the Grit was kind of expensive, too.

What do you guys use? Right now I've just been using a drawstring bag that holds my guards, soakers, etc and I store it in the shelves of the rink wall so I can keep an eye on it. I carry my skates. In the end I may pony up and get the Grit, but I wanted to see if there are any other ideas.

Thanks so much!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So I'm approaching my two month mark of skating and I don't have a skate bag yet. Most of the kids at my rink have Zucas, and I know I don't want to pay that much money for those. Another adult skater has a Grit, and I liked how much space it had inside. Plus I think I remember her saying it has a little strip you can stand on to change clothes. I'll be skating directly after work so I'd make good use of that. But the Grit was kind of expensive, too.

What do you guys use? Right now I've just been using a drawstring bag that holds my guards, soakers, etc and I store it in the shelves of the rink wall so I can keep an eye on it. I carry my skates. In the end I may pony up and get the Grit, but I wanted to see if there are any other ideas.

Thanks so much!

A hard sided carry on size 21 inch piece of luggage.

renla

Rinkside
You know, I've seen people use luggage but for some reason it hasn't occurred for me to use it! The set I have wouldn't work, but I'm sure I could find a good piece. Thanks!

renla

Rinkside
My brother gave me a duffel bag, but it's waaay too big. If I make it to the competitive levels, I think it would be better suited for that.

I seriously can't believe I didn't think of using luggage. I guess I got caught up in the flashy side of figure skating :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My brother gave me a duffel bag, but it's waaay too big. If I make it to the competitive levels, I think it would be better suited for that.

I seriously can't believe I didn't think of using luggage. I guess I got caught up in the flashy side of figure skating :)

LOL it's totally the opposite of flashy but what most elite skaters use. ;) plain hard sided luggage!:laugh:;)

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I have a duffel bag I bought at Nordstrom Rack for $30. It's worked really well, as someone going to and from skating before work it's what is the most convenient for me.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A hard sided carry on size 21 inch piece of luggage.

You don't even need a hardsided one. My skate bag is a soft-sided one that I got from a chain department store here for $20.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ha ha I'm so cheap I just use a regular over the shoulder canvas bag. :laugh:

I've thought of buying a skate bag, but they only seem to come in pink and blue/black, I'd like green if I'm going to drop some serious money.

yesienna

Rinkside
I use a small gym bag and it works well. I had a skate bag before but it was uncomfortable to carry because of it's shape.

cl2

Final Flight
How you get to/from the rink may affect your choice of skate bag.

Luggage bags, and zukas, are good if you have your own car, or are driven to/from the rink, or take a cab. Personally, I take the bus, so I preferred something more compact. (I found an over-the-shoulder skate bag at LL Bean for $35, plus you can get it monogrammed!). If you have to walk long distances carrying skates, then a backpack design is easier to carry---those exist on the market, too, but the only drawback is that those designs I've seen also have open mesh to allow your skates to dry, so if you have to walk long distances *and* it rains often, open mesh becomes a silly design.

Any bag you decide on, it's advisable to have a mechanism (e.g., compartments) to prevent skates/blades from knocking into each other during transport. Even though you will put soakers on during transport, you don't want any chance of blades knocking and getting kinks.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Thanks so much!
I know some skaters prefer boxy hard cases such as Zucas because in some rinks benches are scarce and they use the case as a seat to put on/take off their skates. But I'm puzzled by your remark about a strip to stand on while you change clothes. Could you clarify that?

If you don't need a hard case, I would recommend a gym bag. They come in a wide range of sizes, and you can get well-made, sturdy bags for $30 or so (assuming you don't care about fancy logos). They also come with a wide range of different compartments. The one I have is rectangular. It comes with carrying straps and with a removable shoulder strap. The center compartment has a full-perimeter wrap around zipper: fully open, it's easy to insert/remove skates and other gear; in good weather, you can leave it fully open to allow everything to air out; in bad weather, you can zip it up watertight. There are also two open mesh end pockets with zippers. These are great for stashing wet blade guards, skate wipes, and water bottles to allow them to air out. There's also a separate side compartment for misc gear. The great thing is there's such a large variety of gym bags that you should be able to get just the size and combo you need for the gear that you carry.

Some skaters like the specialty open-mesh skate carriers. Great for allowing the skates to breathe. But you need to keep a large plastic bag on hand in case you get caught in a heavy rain storm (also a problem with open tote bags). Also, there's not much room for extra gear. So I don't like these specialty carriers.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I use a Transpack Ice in the smaller size. Outer mesh pockets let your skates dry. Interior is roomy enough for quite a bit of stuff. Not super expensive. Sturdy. I'm pleased with mine. You can buy it on Amazon.

http://transpack.net/expo-1-1/

renla

Rinkside
I know some skaters prefer boxy hard cases such as Zucas because in some rinks benches are scarce and they use the case as a seat to put on/take off their skates. But I'm puzzled by your remark about a strip to stand on while you change clothes. Could you clarify that?

If you don't need a hard case, I would recommend a gym bag. They come in a wide range of sizes, and you can get well-made, sturdy bags for $30 or so (assuming you don't care about fancy logos). They also come with a wide range of different compartments. The one I have is rectangular. It comes with carrying straps and with a removable shoulder strap. The center compartment has a full-perimeter wrap around zipper: fully open, it's easy to insert/remove skates and other gear; in good weather, you can leave it fully open to allow everything to air out; in bad weather, you can zip it up watertight. There are also two open mesh end pockets with zippers. These are great for stashing wet blade guards, skate wipes, and water bottles to allow them to air out. There's also a separate side compartment for misc gear. The great thing is there's such a large variety of gym bags that you should be able to get just the size and combo you need for the gear that you carry.

Some skaters like the specialty open-mesh skate carriers. Great for allowing the skates to breathe. But you need to keep a large plastic bag on hand in case you get caught in a heavy rain storm (also a problem with open tote bags). Also, there's not much room for extra gear. So I don't like these specialty carriers.

Hi tstop4me, with the standing strip I just meant that since I'll be coming to the rink from work, I have to change in the bathrooms and I don't like my feet touching the floor. I've been doing fine without it so it's not necessary, I just thought it was a nice little add on.

It seems that gym bags are very popular! I went to the rink last night and lo and behold, there were three gym bags lined up behind the rinkside barriers. I'll have to shop around for one. I found a carry on duffle in my closet that will do for now. No compartments, though - thanks for that tip, cl2!

Edit: I also just remembered - a skunk got into the factory where I ordered my skates, so both boots smell. I'm kind of conditioned to them by now so the smell doesn't bother me, but after a month it's still there. It would eventually soak into the clothes in my bag, wouldn't it? I don't want to smell like a skunk :(

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I use a Transpack Ice in the smaller size. Outer mesh pockets let your skates dry. Interior is roomy enough for quite a bit of stuff. Not super expensive. Sturdy. I'm pleased with mine. You can buy it on Amazon.

http://transpack.net/expo-1-1/

Hey Tavi - Do adult-length skate guards fit in that center compartment? I'm assuming they do. What else do you pack into it? This looks like a bag I could use!

sk8momto1

Rinkside
At our rink I would say Zuca's are popular with the younger skaters but as they get older most switch to luggage or a transpack. My daughter uses a transpack and keeps her guard in the outside mesh compartment with her skates. But there would be space to keep them inside too. It's a convenient size and she like the backpack style. It's also durable. She's been using the same one for maybe 5 years and it's been through a lot.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi tstop4me, with the standing strip I just meant that since I'll be coming to the rink from work, I have to change in the bathrooms and I don't like my feet touching the floor. I've been doing fine without it so it's not necessary, I just thought it was a nice little add on.

OK. Thanks for the clarification. I understand now.

It seems that gym bags are very popular! I went to the rink last night and lo and behold, there were three gym bags lined up behind the rinkside barriers. I'll have to shop around for one. I found a carry on duffle in my closet that will do for now. No compartments, though - thanks for that tip, cl2!

I really don't think you need separate compartments as long as you use soakers and they fit snugly. I've never had a problem. Think of it this way: in order for the blades to clank together, either (a) both soakers need to pop off the blades; both soakers need to be pushed away from between the skates; and the blades need to be positioned to clank against each other or (b) the soaker needs to pop off one blade; the loose soaker needs to be pushed away from between the skates; and there needs to be enough room in the bag for the skate with the unprotected blade to flop over onto its side such that the unprotected blade clanks against an exposed portion of the side of the other blade. These are not likely scenarios. Of course, if you're hyper, you can just separate the skates with other soft gear such as gloves or a towel. I only mention this in case you don't find a bag with a suitable divider built in, or your current bag is otherwise OK.

Edit: I also just remembered - a skunk got into the factory where I ordered my skates, so both boots smell. I'm kind of conditioned to them by now so the smell doesn't bother me, but after a month it's still there. It would eventually soak into the clothes in my bag, wouldn't it? I don't want to smell like a skunk :(

Now this is a problem. Too bad you or your skate tech didn't reject the order. Yes, it will stink up the gym bag itself and anything else stashed in it. Sorry, no experience with getting rid of skunk odor.

loopy

Final Flight
We have the transpack and zuca. The zuca is in her room doing nothing, the transpack is used all the time. She wears a woman's 8 and there is plenty of toom. There is a video on youtube that shows packing a transpack vs zuca, the transpack packs better. Of course you don't carry a zuca. We have a car so never used a bag to keep out rain with the transpack- if it is raining she just walks to the car faster; skates are made to get wet so it isn't a concern for us. If you walk miles in the rain, I can see it not working well - but they do have drain holes. But even a zuca or duffle would get wet.

renla

Rinkside
With my current bag, I think I'll be ok with putting each skate on opposite sides and my other items in the middle to keep them from hitting each other. And my coach complained to the company about the skunk thing because three of his other students got the smelly skates too, so I was sent another pair of the model I ordered at no extra cost. I don't view the smell as a big enough problem to warrant taking the new pair out of the box, though.

The transpack bag looks neat, and it might be best for me since it would separate my skates and clothes. Thanks for that link, Tavi!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Hey Tavi - Do adult-length skate guards fit in that center compartment? I'm assuming they do. What else do you pack into it? This looks like a bag I could use!

Hi - yes, you can put hard guards in either the side pockets or the center compartment. The center compartment has a zippered pocket against the back wall that I use for my lock, small tissue packs, etc. It's not huge, but it's large enough to hold multiple items, including keys, bandaids, a kind bar, socks, a CD or two, a small notebook and pen, etc., though maybe not all of those at once. In the main compartment, I put socks, a microfiber cloth to wipe my blades, flexmeter wrist guards (broke my wrist a couple of years ago), a Crasche midi headband, a light jacket or sweater, and a down vest (our rink is cold). Even with all that, I could still add, if necessary, an unopened bottle of water, ballet flats, and either work or skating clothes (leggings and a long-sleeved tee), though work clothes could get a bit wrinkled.

One thing I should mention is that I carry my bag only from the car to the changing room; some people don't find the backpack's straps comfortable, but I haven't noticed that (mine are padded). You can also carry the bag by a top handle (not padded), which is fine for short distances. Finally, I've seen a few reviews where people complain that (1) the backpack straps are too short; or (2) the skate pockets don't hold very large skates. As I'm 5 feet tall and have small (4-1/2) skates, neither of these have posed problems for me, and my straps are adjustable. I also wanted to mention that at the time I got my bag, there were two sizes; mine was the smaller size, and I've never felt the need for a bigger one. One more thing you might want to know: there's no outside pocket or strap specifically designed to hold a water bottle or coffee mug. Because my skates are small, I can fit a standard, unopened water bottle into a skate pocket, but wouldn't risk it with a thermos or mug of coffee, which I carry in by hand.

If anyone wants more info on how people like these, I'd suggest checking out some of the many reviews on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Transpack-Ice-Print-Design-Skating/dp/B000MBROBK