Busy season ahead for Russia’s Kolyada | Golden Skate

Busy season ahead for Russia’s Kolyada

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In order to be competitive, Kolyada wants to upgrade his technical content. He plans to incorporate the quad Lutz in the short, as well as in the free skate. He also plans to add a quad Salchow and toe loop in the free skate as well.

"We'll see in the season if we add another toe loop," he shared, "so I might have four quads. I think I have to set these goals for myself. I think it is realistic for me and I need to go for it. I feel well prepared.

In addition to his long-time choreographer, Olga Kliushnichenko, Kolyada also turned to a new choreographer, two-time World champion and 2006 Olympic silver medalist Stéphane Lambiel. He worked on his programs with Lambiel in Switzerland from June 19 to 23.

"Stéphane is a great skater," said the Russian. "I always enjoyed watching him. He is special. It was my idea to approach him. I asked Maxim Trankov and he helped me to contact him. It was great. I really liked working with him. From the first day, we found a good contact and our work was very productive."

More

Looking forward to seeing what comes of Lambiel's tutelage!

One quad is nice, two quads are intense, three.....well....then the artistry goes (IMO). What are your thoughts on the men and their quads? Is the pressure on quads going to lead to a splat fest for the top competitors at the Olympics?

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
More

One quad is nice, two quads are intense, three.....well....then the artistry goes (IMO). What are your thoughts on the men and their quads? Is the pressure on quads going to lead to a splat fest for the top competitors at the Olympics?

Lambiel made a program for Liza a few seasons back and we never got to see it as it was meant to be because it had to be gutted to make way for the technical content.

If Kolyada is really going to put 4 quads in his FS, then I hope Lambiel's choreography takes that into account already so that it can look right together.
I think it is not impossible to have artistry and 4 quads, but it will take a lot of skill, and a lot of practice to make it work. Kolyada, I think, has the skill. But we'll see.

From the last season, Shoma and Yuzu's Free Programs, with 4 quads, were still beautiful and well-rounded programs. Javi's 3 quad Free Skate was also very well rounded. Patrick's Free Program with 3 quads (though never skated cleanly) was super good too.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
One can plan many things, another matter is whether those plans come true. Anyway, I see it as a really positive matter that he has chosen Lambiel as choreographer, but I expect Kolyada to be able to keep that choreography in his performances... From Russian skaters there are unfortunate examples in that respect.

So far I have not liked Kolyada´s programs, maybe now that will change?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I don't think Mika will try incorporate 2 + 4 quads right away. From what I understood the main purpose is to add quad Lutz to both program. And other two quads if everything will turn well. I think his busy schedule (3 Challengers!?) is part of plan to get him used to such demanding layout. But I doubt they will try make it harder, unless his quad Lutz will be stable. And frankly, I doubt it will be in first competition, although I wish it for him. I personally think 2 + 3 quads would be totally enough, considering that it includes the most difficult one (besides never performed quad axel). And such a layout is already done by multiple skaters. I only wish his 3A will stay stable while trainig quads, unlike at the beggining of last season, when Mika had struggled with it.

I'm really glad he collaborates with Stephane Lambiel! And it was very smart to contact Max Trankov, since everyone knows they're great friends :) I'm also glad Mika thinks seriously about his post-competetive career, I think he will make great coach one day, he's got lots of different experiences already in his life :yes::cheer:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
He is just SO aware of the pressure that comes from Russia. I mean, he already wants to do good at the Olympics so there won't be talk when he comes home - and he knows that even after two quite succesful seasons - in different ways - there's still mistrust from TPTB and 'some' experts. I just hope he can bring his best to the competition, because he grew up a lot in the last years.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I thought he would have to earn his spot at the Olympics like everyone else, but some people seem to think it's already been given to him...

Adding the extra quads will test Kolyada's stamina. I agree with Cathlen that if he can nail the quad Lutz with certainty every time, then it will be enough to do 3 quads in the LP. There is a nice quality to his overall skating which gives Lambiel a lot to work with.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think he changed his jumps too much last season! Most of the time I believe people who never change a thing have the most success! You have one plan and work on it all season is what I have seen work best. Not every competion has a new jump layout! That's just rare!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am really looking forward to seeing Mikhail develop into a great Champion. I don't know if 2018 will be his year but, I look forward to seeing Mikhail, Nathan and the other young guns go at it in 2019 and beyond.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I thought he would have to earn his spot at the Olympics like everyone else, but some people seem to think it's already been given to him...

The difference is that he is the one with the spot in his hands - he can only lose it to himself, which is not the same we can say for the rest of the russian field. Maxim, if he skates like he did in Euros, will have his chance. The other guys are a bit behind, but this is the season for surprises, so I could see any of them making the team, providing their results are up to par.

Tutto

Record Breaker
So happy that Mika made that decision to work with Lambiel, it was not an easy one as he is so devoted to his own coach & choreographer. And seeing him so happy as a result makes us the fans super happy. Can't help but post this here - they both are just too good looking for words!:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVzCwSuF4R2/?taken-by=slambiel&hl=en

I can't wait to see his new programs and hoping that having Lambiel's name will make it so much harder for the RusFed to intervene like the last season when his new SP was axed

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is fantastic news! Kolyada has a lot of talent from a performance standpoint and his projection can really develop with Lambiel, along with other aspects of his skating like spins and edgework.

Tutto

Record Breaker
More

I do feel that ISU should intervene and limit the quads to three (or four at the very max) in a LP. I know many would not agree with me and would point out Hanyu was able to skate a perfect LP at Worlds but I didn't enjoy it as much as I did his long programs with three quads - magic was gone. A set up for quads takes a good portion of the program with not much time left for any meaningful choreo. I don't know what to say about Nathan's 'take' on figure skating - a jumping sequence with music in the background?
And, yes, a splatfest is indicated for Olympics ... sigh...

ejnsofi

Final Flight
I do feel that ISU should intervene and limit the quads to three (or four at the very max) in a LP. I know many would not agree with me and would point out Hanyu was able to skate a perfect LP at Worlds but I didn't enjoy it as much as I did his long programs with three quads - magic was gone. A set up for quads takes a good portion of the program with not much time left for any meaningful choreo. I don't know what to say about Nathan's 'take' on figure skating - a jumping sequence with music in the background?
And, yes, a splatfest is indicated for Olympics ... sigh...

I agree with quad limit.

Nathan's fans are probably going to burn me on pyre but watching his FS it's hard to believe that he was taking ballet lessons. First half of his FS is just jump after the jump with crossovers in-between. The fact that his PCS is higher than Mikhail's or Misha's is just ridiculous for me. I'm afraid that quad fest stops him from showing his full potential. Not to mention it's just simply dangerous for young skaters who soon will have to have quads while entering juniors to have any chance to medal.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I agree with quad limit.

Nathan's fans are probably going to burn me on pyre but watching his FS it's hard to believe that he was taking ballet lessons. First half of his FS is just jump after the jump with crossovers in-between. The fact that his PCS is higher than Mikhail's or Misha's is just ridiculous for me. I'm afraid that quad fest stops him from showing his full potential. Not to mention it's just simply dangerous for young skaters who soon will have to have quads while entering juniors to have any chance to medal.

I disagree. Firstly, jump after jump has nothing to do with ballet training but with choreography and composition. Second, I do ballet and I would LOVE to have nathan 'port de bras', his arms are great. He also has good posture when he isn't landing a quad askew. He is a musical and engaged performer. And had no problem recreating ballet moves in his sp this season. I do agree that Mikhail should have similar PCS but in Misha ' s case I see a stiffness and bent knees in the spins that Nathan does not have, plus less speed. I agree that so many quads prevent nathan from showing his true potential, but i honestly don't know how anyone can say he does not look balletic.

Edited to add that I also disagree with those commentators last year who said mikhail had bad posture, like what?

Tutto

Record Breaker
I agree with quad limit.

That's how I feel about Nathan's skating - I may like him if I get a chance to see what he is capable of outside of quads, so far everything else seem to have been sacrificed for making space for more & more quads in the program.

I disagree. Firstly, jump after jump has nothing to do with ballet training but with choreography and composition. Second, I do ballet and I would LOVE to have nathan 'port de bras', his arms are great. He also has good posture when he isn't landing a quad askew. He is a musical and engaged performer. And had no problem recreating ballet moves in his sp this season. I do agree that Mikhail should have similar PCS but in Misha ' s case I see a stiffness and bent knees in the spins that Nathan does not have, plus less speed. I agree that so many quads prevent nathan from showing his true potential, but i honestly don't know how anyone can say he does not look balletic.

Edited to add that I also disagree with those commentators last year who said mikhail had bad posture, like what?

Nathan's posture is fine but when someone claims an extensive ballet training I look for the pointed toes. In Nathan's case I don't find even a hint of those. I also disagree that he is engaged performer - he is a cool competitor but a perfomer sorry - not or at least not yet. I remember one of posters here on GS commented that he'd seen more joy from people taking calculus exams than from Nathan's skating - a bit unkind but so true (and funny)

What -who said it? Mika's posture is perfect and how one cannot like his classical landing position (on good jumps of course :))

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
That's how I feel about Nathan's skating - I may like him if I get a chance to see what he is capable of outside of quads, so far everything else seem to have been sacrificed for making space for more & more quads in the program.

Nathan's posture is fine but when someone claims an extensive ballet training I look for the pointed toes. In Nathan's case I don't find even a hint of those. I also disagree that he is engaged performer - he is a cool competitor but a perfomer sorry - not or at least not yet. I remember one of posters here on GS commented that he'd seen more joy from people taking calculus exams than from Nathan's skating - a bit unkind but so true (and funny)

What -who said it? Mika's posture is perfect and how one cannot like his classical landing position (on good jumps of course :))

I guess I don't really care about pointed toes in figure skating. Patrick Chan tries his hardest, and maybe it helps with SS but it doesn't look especially great. And for performance, we'll have to agree to disagree. At the gpf I noticed that he and yuzuru were particularly engaging but that's just imo. And for Mikhail, I think it was a man, maybe johnny or the cbc commentator. And yes I think his posture is great

Tutto

Record Breaker
I guess I don't really care about pointed toes in figure skating. Patrick Chan tries his hardest, and maybe it helps with SS but it doesn't look especially great. And for performance, we'll have to agree to disagree. At the gpf I noticed that he and yuzuru were particularly engaging but that's just imo. And for Mikhail, I think it was a man, maybe johnny or the cbc commentator. And yes I think his posture is great

Maybe we just have a different idea of what 'engaging' means? Nathan is not without charisma but he doesn't seem to be even interested in projecting to the audience the way lets say Mika does. It is all very business like and I think he was fortunate with his LP music - 'engaging' in its own right