Intriguing characters of skating | Golden Skate

Intriguing characters of skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is off season and while we wait for the Olympic season to begins I was thinking (and googling/youtubing) the characters of skating. And there are a lot. They may not have a gold medal necessarily but there are tonnes of interesting characters. Not always good and often infamous but nonetheless interesting.

Here are some of mine.

Toller Cranston - on and off the ice he had the fiery temperment and made bold statements and sometimes on the canvas as well. He skated and speaks with emotion and reckless abandon.

Midori Ito - not only huge jumps and the triple axel but a cute and infectious personality.

Oksana/Pasha Grtischuk - She was a diva, she was a soap opera on ice queen and she stireed up trouble all the time and in the end thought she was bigger than she actually was from her Marilyn Monroe impesonation attempt, to villainizing the orphan waif Oksana Baiul and of course her relationship with the married Zhulin and the homebody Usova cat fight or soup fight only topped by her outlandish behaviour and statements well she was the real thing or diva!

Bowman the Showman - Christopher. He was reckless. He was dangerous. He was playful and sexy. You loved him. You hated him and he died a tragic death. He lived on the edge - too bad he slipped off way too early.

Surya Bonaly - she became famous for her athleticism, her creative movie of the week story only found out to be made up, and of course she caused a stir when she felt she had been robbed of world gold. Unapologetic and at the same time perhaps the victim of a skating mom - wow.

Tonya Harding - she was not your every day princess from smoking to her dress to her wild life ways. Great jumps over powered by bad behaviour.

Nicolai Morozov - he was really not much of a player when it came to skater but he was when it came to coaching,choreography and of course courting woman - young skating women in particular. Sadly often his relationships overshadowed his success as a coach/choreographer.

Johnny Weir(d) - Johnny is a flamboyant peacock that loves his feathers, sequins and designer bags. he is over the top. He does not know how to reign it in. Subtlety is not his thing. He is a diva in his own right and mind.

Tarasova - the diva coach who knows what she wants, how she sees it and what she expects!

Emanual Sandu - maybe he was the original Johnny Weir. Tempermental. Dramatic. ARtistic fiery temper. He never got over not going to the olympics on his first chance.

tzazu

Medalist
It is off season and while we wait for the Olympic season to begins I was thinking (and googling/youtubing) the characters of skating. And there are a lot. They may not have a gold medal necessarily but there are tonnes of interesting characters. Not always good and often infamous but nonetheless interesting.

Here are some of mine.

Toller Cranston - on and off the ice he had the fiery temperment and made bold statements and sometimes on the canvas as well. He skated and speaks with emotion and reckless abandon.

Midori Ito - not only huge jumps and the triple axel but a cute and infectious personality.

Oksana/Pasha Grtischuk - She was a diva, she was a soap opera on ice queen and she stireed up trouble all the time and in the end thought she was bigger than she actually was from her Marilyn Monroe impesonation attempt, to villainizing the orphan waif Oksana Baiul and of course her relationship with the married Zhulin and the homebody Usova cat fight or soup fight only topped by her outlandish behaviour and statements well she was the real thing or diva!

Bowman the Showman - Christopher. He was reckless. He was dangerous. He was playful and sexy. You loved him. You hated him and he died a tragic death. He lived on the edge - too bad he slipped off way too early.

Surya Bonaly - she became famous for her athleticism, her creative movie of the week story only found out to be made up, and of course she caused a stir when she felt she had been robbed of world gold. Unapologetic and at the same time perhaps the victim of a skating mom - wow.

Tonya Harding - she was not your every day princess from smoking to her dress to her wild life ways. Great jumps over powered by bad behaviour.

Nicolai Morozov - he was really not much of a player when it came to skater but he was when it came to coaching,choreography and of course courting woman - young skating women in particular. Sadly often his relationships overshadowed his success as a coach/choreographer.

Johnny Weir(d) - Johnny is a flamboyant peacock that loves his feathers, sequins and designer bags. he is over the top. He does not know how to reign it in. Subtlety is not his thing. He is a diva in his own right and mind.

Tarasova - the diva coach who knows what she wants, how she sees it and what she expects!

Emanual Sandu - maybe he was the original Johnny Weir. Tempermental. Dramatic. ARtistic fiery temper. He never got over not going to the olympics on his first chance.

:clap:

Ender

Match Penalty
Dick Button: he isn't just an OGM, a frontier but also a remarkable commentator with so many interesting comments we still remember. People might not agree with his comments but he has been such a personality for the sport.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
To round out the Canadian contingent, Gary Beacom.
Tons of people to add to this list!

lappo

Final Flight
I would add Yagudin and Plushenko, two of the most charismatic skaters ever who gifted us with epic performances on the ice and some of the best off-ice fluff. They would make good material for a movie (same for the Pasha/Zhulin/Usova's mess).

TMC

Record Breaker
It really is the off-season, isn't it :laugh2:

Great thread, Skater Boy, appreciate it!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Laetitia Hubert :shocked:

Is there a documentary on her? That would be really intriguing IMO. :cool14:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I agree so many intriguing characters. Definitely Plushy and Yags. Oh and don't forget Christopher Dean not only was he amazing on the ice but he seemed to go through skaters as partners (not on ice) He started with a world champ and OSM then went down to a world champ and Olympian and then down to an Olympian and national champ. What's next a regional champ? I might also add Nicole Bobek. Sometimes rebel, sometimes sympathetic and sometimes tragic. Katarina Witt - she was a competitor and was not afraid to use her seductive ways to get what she wanted even if her skating sometimes was mediocre - her dramatic stares and not during her skates could literally cause competitors to fall (poor Kira Ivanova (poor poor tragic RIP Ivanova).

mintx

On the Ice
Not infamous but still a character, Scott Hamiliton.

Sick child, to OGM, wore an athletic style costume agains the trend of more artistic looks, he was a pioneer modern professional skating. He has also overcome 3 brain tumors and cancer.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She said it herself>>>> When Questioned: "If you were a cheese, what kind of cheese would you be?"

Ashley answered immediately: "I'd be bleu cheese. If you like me, you love me. If you don't like me, you really don't like me." [She laughed; Adam laughed and hugged her sympathetically.]

If anyone can explain politely and reasonably why so many do dislike Ashley, I'd be interested. I've only been on GS a couple of years, and I often feel there's a whole novel that I haven't read, behind some of the shorthand people use here. I've twigged to resentment from some (but not all) Mirai fans and others who thought 2014 was unfair, but it seems like there must be more to it.

While at 2015 Nationals, I'd only recently become an Ashley Uber, since her Spartacus and Moulin Rouge programs. Between events, I'd strike up a casual conversation with someone nearby. I was astounded when two separate random women in different parts of the arena answered a question identically.

Me: Who's your favorite skater? (Note: I hadn't mentioned any of my favorites.)

Random Lady: Well .... I can tell you who I don't like. Ashley Wagner.

And then each of them went on to say what they did like about Gracie, without any prompting from me.

Me: :confused: :confused: :confused: :slink:

meem

On the Ice
I can't imagine, when being asked who my favorite skater is, responding with the name of a skater I don't like. Nasty folks!

Since you're looking for intriguing, I'd have to agree with Ender and say Dick Button. Not only was he a great skater--2 time OGM, but I loved his comments and critiques (I'm always watching those layback spins to see whose leg looks broken).

lappo

Final Flight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-08R7-C2KyQ
This is THE Olympic fluff, some quotes are just epic! (Mishin: "Coaching them was like having two wives").
I don't know if it's my impression but the interviews of today's skaters are all along the same lines, it seems to me that they rarely go outside the super extreme PC politeness (and the very few who do get a lot of blame, even when they aren't rude at all but simply more genuine); while I don't think they have to get back the Plush/Yags "We hate each other" I wouldn't mind if they were let a bit more free and could show more of their personality.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Nobunari Oda, Alexei Mishin, Tamara Moskvina, Maxim Trankov...just off the top of my head

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-08R7-C2KyQ
This is THE Olympic fluff, some quotes are just epic! (Mishin: "Coaching them was like having two wives").
I don't know if it's my impression but the interviews of today's skaters are all along the same lines, it seems to me that they rarely go outside the super extreme PC politeness (and the very few who do get a lot of blame, even when they aren't rude at all but simply more genuine); while I don't think they have to get back the Plush/Yags "We hate each other" I wouldn't mind if they were let a bit more free and could show more of their personality.

Yes, I can't believe the "we all love each other" today...

sarama

Medalist
She said it herself>>>> When Questioned: "If you were a cheese, what kind of cheese would you be?"

Ashley answered immediately: "I'd be bleu cheese. If you like me, you love me. If you don't like me, you really don't like me." [She laughed; Adam laughed and hugged her sympathetically.]

If anyone can explain politely and reasonably why so many do dislike Ashley, I'd be interested. I've only been on GS a couple of years, and I often feel there's a whole novel that I haven't read, behind some of the shorthand people use here. I've twigged to resentment from some (but not all) Mirai fans and others who thought 2014 was unfair, but it seems like there must be more to it.

I can't speak for everyone, but I do agree that she can be polarising. I Like her sometimes, and not so much other times, so maybe I can give you some perspective: I like that she owns her choices and that she often doesn't hide what she is thinking, I respect her grit and that she was able to become a powerhouse in US figure skating, when many considered her a class B skater compared to Mirai, Caroline ect.....But sometimes she can be annoying: when she screws up and says she likes to be the underdog :rolleye:, when she is over the top with the drama in the program while doing zero transitions and she expects all the PCS, when she is look at how good I am now I've fixed my flutz and my underrotation issues:rofl2:
All in all the respect I have for her overshadows her flaws (and really who is perfect in this world), but I understand that some people just can't stand her DIVA attitude at times. I think she knows and she has made peace with this idea, so I'm sure she isn't bothered too much by the "hate"

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
^^
I find very suspicious and boring at the same time if someone is always so nice and beloved by everybody.... I like Ashley