Intriguing characters of skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Intriguing characters of skating

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Frank Carroll: The Man, the Myth and the Legend.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
http://vokrug.tv/pic/person/1/6/f/2/16f2778bfb80de69e40db77116035623.jpeg, http://archive.sltrib.com/images/2012/0214/olygallery_021412~5.jpg

I can't believe this legendary coach isn't up here yet. Tatiana Tarasova.......The ONLY thing that kept me from stalking her when I saw her at Worlds in 2001 was........Maria Butyrskaya. I passed right by her twice. Always in a gorgeous coat and looking like a true Diva.

She was mentioned in the OP, mrrice. ;)

But since you mentioned coats, I'm surprised Eteri hasn't been mentioned yet.

mrrice

Record Breaker

lappo

Final Flight
On the line of the not infamous at all but very compelling (at least IMO), Akiko Suzuki.
A joy to watch as a skater and performer and her personal struggles show the dark side of artistic sports. As I suffered from eating disorders myself and I know what it means, I really find admirable the way she managed to overcome her issues and to come back in the competitive field. The fact that she openly talks about her problems is a positive example for all the young girls (and also boys) who have to cope with similar issues. I wish her the best in her personal life and I hope that she continues to grace the ice with her presence in shows and would really love if she takes the path of choreography.

madforskating

On the Ice
I feel like I should add Alexa Scimeca Knierim, because she's a warrior and a great role model.

And Kaitlyn Weaver because she's so optimistic and she can make friends with anyone :)

Ender

Match Penalty
http://vokrug.tv/pic/person/1/6/f/2/16f2778bfb80de69e40db77116035623.jpeg, http://archive.sltrib.com/images/2012/0214/olygallery_021412~5.jpg

I can't believe this legendary coach isn't up here yet. Tatiana Tarasova.......The ONLY thing that kept me from stalking her when I saw her at Worlds in 2001 was........Maria Butyrskaya. I passed right by her twice. Always in a gorgeous coat and looking like a true Diva.
Tarasova's shout is legendary. Remember when Grisuk and Platov finished their second gold at Olympic?

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm going to add Peggy Fleming to my list. One of the true Princesses of the sport. She was also one of the first US Ladies to parlay her success and good looks into a successful commercial career. We all know that she became a very successful commentator for our sport and along with Dick Button, she was the face and voice of US skating for decades.

This commercial for Leggs Panty Hose has always cracked me up. It's SO 80's......... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2uoULoKYSM

Peggy was also featured in another national commercial for Trident Chewing Gum.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8IFdHxVyrY

ioanna

Record Breaker
Tatsuki Machida. They had a whole segment on a show dedicated to his quotes in Japan. Yuzuru knows a bunch of them by heart. He spoke in metaphors and riddles. He could also be sarcastic when he wanted to. Always did things his way, including retiring without warning the federation or the media beforehand.

Reporters would sneak in backstage and sensationalize his presence as if sighting an UFO and he'd be like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2mocAXJguM

mrrice

Record Breaker
Tatsuki Machida. They had a whole segment on a show dedicated to his quotes in Japan. Yuzuru knows a bunch of them by heart. He spoke in metaphors and riddles. He could also be sarcastic when he wanted to. Always did things his way, including retiring without warning the federation or the media beforehand.

Reporters would sneak in backstage and sensationalize his presence as if sighting an UFO and he'd be like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2mocAXJguM

The Japanese press has been this way for as long as I can remember. When I was touring during the 90's we traveled to Japan and there were HUGE pictures of Yuka Sato in the baggage claim area. When I was at Worlds in 2001, the amount of press that followed Fumie and Takeshi Honda was probably double the amount of press that followed Michelle Kwan and Evgeni Plushenko who were the winners that year.

LeahCarinaClares

Spectator
Hi Skylark! Maybe some dislike Ashley because she doesn't fit a lyrical, balletic mold of ice skating. Personally I think she has her own kind of grace that is just as nice to look at as textbook Vaganova steps and port de bras. Some of her programs do in fact rely on a more classical aesthetic ("Spartacus" "Black Swan" "Exogenesis Muse"), but overall her skating has a very modern look to it. She's got her own style and isn't content to just float around prettily with her arms in an eternal first arabesque or basic second position. I think that's a good thing, her speed and intensity is great in a different way, and she can actually be quite fluidly elegant at times. But, she's not a skater who's constantly hitting snapshots of perfect classical positions.

If you need female skaters to look like dainty princesses out there, a hip-hop inspired program is probably not going to be your cup of tea. I've always admired Ashley's innovative, creative choreography and I don't think it detracts from her skating at all, but tastes vary of course. She does tend to choose fiery, passionate music over soft romances but so do many skaters...probably she chose "Muse" partly to extend her range. And obviously, music with some drama, resonance and power to it helps sell a program.

That being said, she's also blunt and outspoken and some people don't like openly ambitious women, especially in a figure skater....again, something others will see as a positive trait.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi Skylark! Maybe some dislike Ashley because she doesn't fit a lyrical, balletic mold of ice skating. Personally I think she has her own kind of grace that is just as nice to look at as textbook Vaganova steps and port de bras. Some of her programs do in fact rely on a more classical aesthetic ("Spartacus" "Black Swan" "Exogenesis Muse"), but overall her skating has a very modern look to it. She's got her own style and isn't content to just float around prettily with her arms in an eternal first arabesque or basic second position. I think that's a good thing, her speed and intensity is great in a different way, and she can actually be quite fluidly elegant at times. But, she's not a skater who's constantly hitting snapshots of perfect classical positions.

If you need female skaters to look like dainty princesses out there, a hip-hop inspired program is probably not going to be your cup of tea. I've always admired Ashley's innovative, creative choreography and I don't think it detracts from her skating at all, but tastes vary of course. She does tend to choose fiery, passionate music over soft romances but so do many skaters...probably she chose "Muse" partly to extend her range. And obviously, music with some drama, resonance and power to it helps sell a program.

That being said, she's also blunt and outspoken and some people don't like openly ambitious women, especially in a figure skater....again, something others will see as a positive trait.

:agree:

I think you've summed up well. Ashley is strong, ambitious and has her own style of skating. She knows where her priorities are, why she's skating and what's important to her. And she makes a point of being proud to be that kind of woman. So I guess it's not surprising if she ruffles a few feathers. (still baffling to me, but hey.:))

TheCzar

On the Ice
Mao Asada and Yu Na Kim- Both skating legends who were both at the zeitgeist of IJS ladies figure skating for nearly ten years. Beloved by so many, yet we hardly know much about them. It's a good thing tbh because the air of mystique just adds to the fascination of these two figures. We know some things from Asada but it was only revealed when she allowed for it to be revealed, and I would assume the same went for Kim. Now that they are both retired and seemingly keen on moving on from FS, there are only much more questions to be asked.

Akiko Suzuki-
This girl has gone through so much and is so inspiring. Ended her career on her own terms and brought honour and pride to herself and her federation when they counted on her the most.

Miki Ando
- You have to give it to the Japanese ladies for keeping their private lives private and keeping a sense of propriety where other figure skaters go the other way. Nobody knew for sure about her relationships, her child, her issues with her federation, etc. until she chose to give interviews and come out publicly. It's admirable really, and the way she decided to skate for herself, and in her terms is very impressive.

Alissa Csizny and Jeremy Abbott- both great when they're good, but bad when they're off. However they also both seem to be very positive people who are probably quite fun to hang out with.

Ashley Wagner- A very interesting girl. Whereas her Asian contemporaries remain conservative- not canned- but restrained, she goes out and lays it all out there. It's a good thing if you want drama, a sense of transparency, and candour- but I do believe that sometimes Ashley Wagner comes to a competition with a disclaimer about Ashley Wagner, depending on her mood or condition. She's very American in that sense I suppose- no filter, and she admits it and we need people like her in the sport to shake things up. However IMO- there are times where her sass and larger-than-life personality come off as compensation for her inadequacies as a lady skater.

Gracie Gold- Well. She's a disillusioned princess. If that doesn't count as a case study, I don't know what does.

Yuzuru Hanyu- Mystere grandiose. Brooding on the ice, seemingly chummy IRL via interviews. Heathcliff meets Rochester meets Samwise Gamgee.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Fun thread and I agree with nearly all the skaters put forth already. I'll add Patrick Chan, a polarizing skater who was the first in IJS to do consistent quads and have great PCS. Occasionally he says things that many people don't like. He usually speaks his mind in interviews. He'll be going to his third Olympics this season and will have been at the top of Canadian men's skating for a decade. Even though he's not at the very top worldwide anymore, he's still been 5th in the world the last two years and won some GPs and a 4CC. I doubted whether he'd come back to competition after Sochi, but he did, and it's been a pleasant surprise. Not only did he come back, but he has added a second 3A, a 4S, and now a 4F to his arsenal, showing he could improve technically late in his career. The one, the only, Patrick Chan. So many skaters have been inspired to emulate his skating. He has the most smooth and effortless skating skills in the business.

desertskates

Medalist
I'll go with Skylark and pick Ashley for this. First, her longevity in the sport is beyond impressive! And I wonder so much about how it felt for her after the 2014 Olympic team selection. It had to be such an odd mix of emotions to finally make the Olympic team, and do so fairly, while facing all this controversy. I'm thrilled for here that she'll likely be going to Pyeongchang and have the Olympic experience without that cloud hanging over her head.
And the final reason, and one of the biggest reasons I root for her, is that she operated completely independent of her parents upon turning 18. I did that myself, and I can say that even as someone who's not an elite athlete, it's a challenging road. But she not only got through the day to day, but dedicated herself so completely to her skating that the same year she reached the very top of her sport domestically. I have such a crazy amount of respect for that!
Others I'd put on that list: Akiko Suzuki, Surya Bonaly, and Pluschenko.

Barb

Record Breaker
And the final reason, and one of the biggest reasons I root for her, is that she operated completely independent of her parents upon turning 18. I did that myself, and I can say that even as someone who's not an elite athlete, it's a challenging road. But she not only got through the day to day, but dedicated herself so completely to her skating that the same year she reached the very top of her sport domestically. I have such a crazy amount of respect for that!
Others I'd put on that list: Akiko Suzuki, Surya Bonaly, and Pluschenko.

Really? this sport is really costly, she has earned enough money from her sponsors?

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really? this sport is really costly, she has earned enough money from her sponsors?

Yes, she really did. She worked part time at a clothing store for a few years while competing and training full time. The Gap, or something like.

Also, she had a savings account for college that she used when she moved across the country to train with John Nicks. And I believe I read that the Michael Weiss foundation gave her a grant; that may have been before she won nationals the first time. That foundation also helped Nathan Chen, Grant Hochstein, and many many others.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuzuru Hanyu- Mystere grandiose. Brooding on the ice, seemingly chummy IRL via interviews. Heathcliff meets Rochester meets Samwise Gamgee.

Oooooh. That's good.

mrrice

Record Breaker

Yeah, Ashley has had to work "regular" jobs in the past. I think she worked in a clothing store to pay for her training. I'll look it up...Here's a link to the article where Ashley talks about the sacrifices she's made during her career. She did indeed work in a retail clothing store to help make ends meet. This may sound strange but, the only regular jobs I ever had were working at Jack In The Box in High School and I was a waiter at the Outback Steak House for a Summer between tours and that's it. The rest of my life I spent touring or teaching dance.....I consider myself to be very lucky. https://www.si.com/more-sports/2012/11/22/ashley-wagner

desertskates

Medalist
I remember one interview where she said that sometime her only meal option was peanut butter sandwiches. That's really scraping bottom, and I bet those times really shaped her drive and work ethic!