Intriguing characters of skating | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Intriguing characters of skating

Warwick360

Medalist
For me it has to be Misha Ge. Surprised he isn't mentioned much here.

He may not be one of the top contenders for podiums anywhere (with the torrent of Quads that have been coming in the recent years). But it just simply amazes me how well he pervades into all aspects of figure skating so well. Competitive Figure Skater? Check. Choreographer? Check. A skater that can truly entertain in Exos? Utter check.

I used to think he was more of a style over substance, when I first saw him in Sochi for the first time with his dyed red hair. Boy how wrong was I. Will be sad if he isn't there in Pyeongchang.

mrrice

Record Breaker
All the girls in pairs, especially Stolbova, Savchenko, and Duhamel.

I agree with this and I'm going to add Shen Eux, Jamie Sale, and Elena Berezhnaya. These ladies are TINY.......and so was Kyoko Ina. I don't think any of these beautiful skaters weighed more than 100lbs and I bet Jamie didn't even weigh that much. The fact that they let their partners literally fling them into the air is amazing. David Pelletier threw Jamie so far across the ice that we all gasped! If you watch the video from Worlds in 2001, you can hear it!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The fact that they let their partners literally fling them into the air is amazing.

It's funny, because I think that this may be part of what attracts them. Deanna Stellato, who began skating as a pairs lady at age 33, said, "Being thrown is the most fun ever!!!" Which goes along with what other pairs ladies have said, that they wanted to fly. That feeling of flying across the ice is notable in singles figure skating too, of course.

So, a new Intriguing Character is Deanna Stellato. Is there, in all the annals of figure skating, even one other example of a skater coming back to competitive skating after an absence of 16 years? It's just mind-boggling, and goes completely against much of the conventional wisdom of the sport.

She said she retired in 2001 because of injuries taking her out of 24 months of training in four years, and at age 17, "I didn't think I had another four years" to stick around. So she becomes, now, an inspiring poster child for anyone who has the courage to try something new at what appears to be an advanced age, and way too late .... at the same time as being a poster child for picking up an old dream and forging ahead.:bow:

madforskating

On the Ice
I agree with this and I'm going to add Shen Eux, Jamie Sale, and Elena Berezhnaya. These ladies are TINY.......and so was Kyoko Ina. I don't think any of these beautiful skaters weighed more than 100lbs and I bet Jamie didn't even weigh that much. The fact that they let their partners literally fling them into the air is amazing. David Pelletier threw Jamie so far across the ice that we all gasped! If you watch the video from Worlds in 2001, you can hear it!

I KNOW! These girls are not human! Tiny little things, flying so far...it looks like fun but it's terrifying!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All the girls in pairs, especially Stolbova, Savchenko, and Duhamel.

Especially Tarah Kayne, Ashley Cain, Alexa Knierim :biggrin:

And Kirsten Moore-Towers, for courage ... one never knows when one of their lifts will come down ...:slink: