Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 46 to 56 of 56

Thread: The challenges of music editing/cutting

  1. #46
    Bona Fide Member ioanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,309
    Country: Romania

    2 Not allowed!

    Go Ad-Free! Become a GS Supporter! Thank you
    I think Tom Dickson is very skilled at music cutting/editing. Nobunari Oda was on a show today and he said he heard Satoko Miyahara's Madama Butterfly arrangement and it's completely different from everything that was done before.

    This is Miss Saigon
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJk7vzwuB8k

    And The Planets suite
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYTlLdIL36M

  2. #47
    Bona Fide Member skylark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,103

    0 Not allowed!
    I'm enjoying all the information in this thread; very interesting.

    Shae-Lynne Bourne said in the Rockerskating video on Ashley's FS process that her husband edits the programs she choreographs, and she really enjoys that because it makes it a collaborative process. She also worked with Hugo for that program.

    I have a purely personal challenge when it comes to FS programs: when an edit of a previous skater's music is very similar, but not identical. The best example of this is Michelle Kwan's 1998 East of Eden program, which I think was the perfect music, perfectly cut, perfectly choreographed and perfectly performed program. Any time I see a program that reflects the movements and music, so much that it seems almost like an homage (Tatsuki Machida's), I love it. But when it's not the same, I find myself annoyed and it takes me a full minute to get into appreciating the program fully. Example: Mariah Bell's LP last year. I love Mariah! but I had trouble not moaning aloud: Why, Rohene, why?

  3. #48
    Rinkside Henni147's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    53

    1 Not allowed!
    I've tried some music cuts for figure skating programmes myself. I think the biggest challenges are fitting transitions between the cuts and a consistent rhythm throughout the programme (of course it needs "skatable" speed and accents as well. Not every type of music can be simply used.

    The first soundtrack is a cut of an instrumental score called "Elea" from Worakls. I really like the bowed instruments, changing styles and unexpected transitions. Not easy to skate for sure but quite epic if it works. I've planned it as a short programme music, but it might work as a free skate, too (the original score is over 6 minutes long).

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj_fIlHhjFs

    The second one is a medley from James Horner's Avatar soundtrack. It consists of three different scores and is designed as a free skate programme. The last score "I see you" is also available as a vocal version from Leona Lewis but that would be too much of a drama I think

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEAesJlJZx4

    How do you think about it?

  4. #49

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Henni147 View Post
    I've tried some music cuts for figure skating programmes myself. I think the biggest challenges are fitting transitions between the cuts and a consistent rhythm throughout the programme (of course it needs "skatable" speed and accents as well. Not every type of music can be simply used.

    The first soundtrack is a cut of an instrumental score called "Elea" from Worakls. I really like the bowed instruments, changing styles and unexpected transitions. Not easy to skate for sure but quite epic if it works. I've planned it as a short programme music, but it might work as a free skate, too (the original score is over 6 minutes long).

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj_fIlHhjFs

    The second one is a medley from James Horner's Avatar soundtrack. It consists of three different scores and is designed as a free skate programme. The last score "I see you" is also available as a vocal version from Leona Lewis but that would be too much of a drama I think

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEAesJlJZx4

    How do you think about it?
    If I were to pick music from Avatar, I would pick better known pieces, and one of them would tie in with the vocal pop tune played either during the film credits or from the movie trailer. I have a music editing business called Singerskates Music.

  5. #50
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    235

    0 Not allowed!
    Given the technology available today, versus just a skating generation ago, there's hardly an excuse for poorly executed music cuts.

  6. #51

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallorder View Post
    Given the technology available today, versus just a skating generation ago, there's hardly an excuse for poorly executed music cuts.
    Not everybody has a muusical ear to hear what is a great, good, ok or bad cut. Being a skater and a musician/songwriter makes editing music more artistic. One can actually rework the sections into a new artist creation and make it blend so well that people actually would think it was written that way.

  7. #52
    #ButThatsNoneOfMyBusiness Ic3Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,314
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by singerskates View Post
    Not everybody has a muusical ear to hear what is a great, good, ok or bad cut. Being a skater and a musician/songwriter makes editing music more artistic. One can actually rework the sections into a new artist creation and make it blend so well that people actually would think it was written that way.
    Exactly and I know at least one music editor in particular that's fabulous at this.

  8. #53

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ic3Rabbit View Post
    Exactly and I know at least one particular music editor in particular that's fabulous at this.
    Would that be Singerskates Music run by me?

  9. #54
    #ButThatsNoneOfMyBusiness Ic3Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,314
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by singerskates View Post
    Would that be Singerskates Music run by me?
    No sorry.

  10. #55

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ic3Rabbit View Post
    No sorry.
    You've not heard my music edited skating pieces. From where are you? I've done a piece for Jennifer Robinson, music written and performed by Plumb called "(Safe) In My Arm" to which she skated at the Barrie Summer Show several years ago just after she gave birth to her first child; the piece was Baby gift. An adult skater named Janet Wood won 2 years in a row with "Mission Impossible" in Bronze and Silver Artistic FS (Interpretive) at the ISU Adult Invitational in Oberstdorf, Germany, whch Gary Beacom was the one who put us in contact with each other. And in the last few weeks I've had a skater named Katherine Karon of Skate Ontario compete her Pre-Novice Short program to "Butterfly Waltz" which I cut in such a way that ypu'd think that it was written that way. She'll be heading to sections this fall.

  11. #56
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    369

    0 Not allowed!

    Go Ad-Free! Become a GS Supporter! Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by singerskates View Post
    Not everybody has a muusical ear to hear what is a great, good, ok or bad cut. Being a skater and a musician/songwriter makes editing music more artistic. One can actually rework the sections into a new artist creation and make it blend so well that people actually would think it was written that way.
    Some people also prefer some weird music cuts and who knows why. We can't judge their taste.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •