Jason Brown: "I want to make an impact" | Golden Skate

Jason Brown: "I want to make an impact"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason Brown has announced his SP music for the 2017-18 season ("The Room Where it Happens" from Hamilton).

Here is an awesome interview with Ted Flett. He discusses his training, dealing with the pressure of the upcoming Olympic season, how he came to chose Hamilton, his long program (which is currently being composed by Maxime Rodriguez and inspired from music from The Danish Girl), the quad (two in both the short and long), and more.

Disclaimer: The interview is nearly an hour long - get your insulin ready!! :biggrin:

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And he'll be there on that day, in the Room (Rink?) Where It Happens... ;)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason, you've already made an impact on figure skating with your spectacular Riverdance program! I look forward to many more impactful moments from you! :love:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Thank you so much for this wonderful interview - kudos to Ted for a job well done!

In view of all the controversy over Jason's selection for the World Team, I think a lot of people might find it interesting to hear him describe his experience competing at Nats.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What a jam-packed interview. I like the contrast of the two programs!

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I am at work so I cannot watch right know. Can't wait until I get home!

janav

On the Ice
Is there a way to watch Hamilton online? I keep reading about it but alas, Broadway is far away from UAE. I'd like to watch it for the context! (And thanks for the interview, the more Jason we get to see, the better!)

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Is there a way to watch Hamilton online? I keep reading about it but alas, Broadway is far away from UAE. I'd like to watch it for the context! (And thanks for the interview, the more Jason we get to see, the better!)

There are no legal means to watch Hamilton online. I live in the New York, and I had to wait a year after I bought my tickets to watch it. I'm seriously excited about this program as the show blew me away. I've seen a lot of great shows since I moved here and Hamilton may have seriously been the best I've seen.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the interview; great stuff!

Also Javier Munoz, who currently plays Hamilton on Broadway, has this to say about Jason's SP announcement
(cross posting from the Jason fan fest, because I think it merits slightly wider application):

"Such a genuine, bright-light, and inspiring person....will never forget meeting Jason along with his coach and choreographer both of whom shared the same light and energy. Cheering for you and your team @jasonbskates wholeheartedly"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWbuAd4gh64/?taken-by=javiermofficial

I think Jason is part of the #HamFam now;)

Barb

Record Breaker
There are no legal means to watch Hamilton online. I live in the New York, and I had to wait a year after I bought my tickets to watch it. I'm seriously excited about this program as the show blew me away. I've seen a lot of great shows since I moved here and Hamilton may have seriously been the best I've seen.

:eek:hwell:. At least someone could tell us what are the most popular songs of the musical? In Youtube all the songs are in a video of more than two hours https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDZBGoiCrI :slink:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have so much confidence in Jason. Great music choices. With 4 quads and his skating style and quality he is a medal threat for sure. This sounds so so promising. Yuzuru, Shoma, Nathan, Boyang, Javier and him will duke it out for the medals come olympics. So so exciting. USA could have two men's medallists come olympic podium time.

Barb

Record Breaker
I have so much confidence in Jason. Great music choices. With 4 quads and his skating style and quality he is a medal threat for sure. This sounds so so promising. Yuzuru, Shoma, Nathan, Boyang, Javier and him will duke it out for the medals come olympics. So so exciting. USA could have two men's medallists come olympic podium time.

What?, Jason is landing quads? 4?

Ross74

Medalist
:eek:hwell:. At least someone could tell us what are the most popular songs of the musical? In Youtube all the songs are in a video of more than two hours https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDZBGoiCrI :slink:

For a starter, I would suggest listening to the following:

Alexander Hamilton
Wait for It
My Shot
The Room Where it Happens

Search on Hamilton and Tony Awards for a performance on stage. In addition, search for some clips from Hamilton at the White House.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
What?, Jason is landing quads? 4?

He is landing 4S and 4T in practice. He landed 4T in FS at Skate America last season, but it was called <. He hasn't yet attempted 4S in competition. His goal this season is to include 2 quads in the short and 2 in the long.

He said both programs are very difficult, and that right now he's working on integrating the jumps. It sounds like he will not start off the season with all 4 quads in place - they will be added as season progresses.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

i don't understand why earlier on, Patrick with 5 quads and his skating style, wasn't good enough to be a medal threat according to your own analysis, but now Jason, with 4 quads is enough. I am puzzled.

Regarding Jason, I appreciate that he is making the efforts needed to get himself competitive. We will see what is indeed landed when it counts. I am curious also about the new music composed specially for him. That could make him stand out for sure.