Jason Brown: "I want to make an impact" | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown: "I want to make an impact"

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^^ This. :agree:

And needless to say, Jason is also not responsible for how posters characterize or don't characterize his statements.

I highly recommend listening to at least part of this interview before commenting, even if you think you don't like Jason or don't care for his skating. I have seen posters (and I'm not specifically referring to anything in this thread, just in general) make so many generalizations about Jason, about his training, about his motivation, even, for heaven's sake, about his desire to win, based on what appears to be nothing but conjecture.

You may learn the conjecture ain't necessarily so;)

This can be said of SO MANY of the skaters. Comments made by posters about interviews, articles, even snippets. If people would listen to the whole interview, etc. then discussions would be much less about "I disagree and here's why and, the end." More about the actual interesting quotes, ideas, etc.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
ETA: My general skepticism about the SP is not based on how well (or not) he portrays the Hamilton characters. I just don't like the music or the vibe of what I've seen. I'm able to separate that entirely from my very positive thoughts on the LP. They're two different programs.

That's kind of my point regarding not getting the story/character of the piece. Right now, there isn't really a defined mood other than jazzy, snazzy Broadway -- which you pointed out in a previous post. Given how much he believes in this program, I'm hoping he'll figure out a way to show exactly why he wanted to skate to Hamilton specifically (as opposed to any number of Broadway/jazz numbers).

ETA: There are parts of the SP I like already -- the actual choreography steps are interesting and he has some fun entrances/exits to the elements -- but I can see why people aren't buying into the program cause he hasn't shaped the mood/tone of the program yet.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
july or not, I don't like either pieces of music... so as a neutral person, these programs won't make an impact on me.... there is not enough power and emotion in them... for me a step down from last year's LP.

this is just my personal opinion... no need to try to convince me, i am quite particular with music... and for instance, i was very critical of Patrick's choices last year too.

The problem with such programs, without great powerful musical moments is that if they are not skated flawlessly, they don't work as well.

I agree. Charlie White said this about Hawayek/Baker's FD to The Theory of Everything in 2015-16. Great, powerful musical moments (TToE didn't have them) help skaters make an emotional impact, they carry the audience along. I didn't think Patrick's LP music last year did his skating justice, in spite of the fact that it was composed by Eric, and IIRC, composed specifically for Patrick.

Having said that, I have a lot of faith in Jason's ability to communicate emotion to audiences. In my view, the SP is going to be no problem, because Jason's so happy to be skating to it. I'll be very interested to see if he's going to "play" Burr, the outsider looking in (which theme is carried throughout the musical and is a main motivator for Burr's character) ... or whether Jason will create his own story and meaning. My guess would be that Jason creates his own story, or rather that Rohene has created one for and with Jason.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I agree. Charlie White said this about Hawayek/Baker's FD to The Theory of Everything in 2015-16. Great, powerful musical moments (TToE didn't have them) help skaters make an emotional impact, they carry the audience along. I didn't think Patrick's LP music last year did his skating justice, in spite of the fact that it was composed by Eric, and IIRC, composed specifically for Patrick.

Having said that, I have a lot of faith in Jason's ability to communicate emotion to audiences. In my view, the SP is going to be no problem, because Jason's so happy to be skating to it. I'll be very interested to see if he's going to "play" Burr, the outsider looking in (which theme is carried throughout the musical and is a main motivator for Burr's character) ... or whether Jason will create his own story and meaning. My guess would be that Jason creates his own story, or rather that Rohene has created one for and with Jason.

In the interview Jason mentioned that in this year's programs, he gets to play a character and to create a character. My understanding is that he's playing a character in the SP (existing show/book/music) and creating one in the long (new music).

For me the opening of the SP doesn't work because it seems like he's trying to show the conversation between Burr and Hamilton, who are standing around talking in the play. I understand why they wanted to include that part - to explain - but so far it doesn't work for me. So it will be interesting to see what they do with that.

On the other hand, I think the st sq at the end is great and works really well.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I am not sold on the SP, it's not just the opening, I think overall currently Jason isn't really matching the music but it's very early days, so I'm looking forward to GF which should also give us better video. On the other hand all I can think of when I see the FS is grabby hands. Yes, please and thank you. To me, it seems to be building onto the last season's FS and is still a work in progress but one that is very, very promising. Can't wait!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here is my favorite example, Michelle Kwan's Tosca in 2004. She does not throw herself off a parapet in despair, she just skates. :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQSoIEAxns

A perfect example. She skates expressively, with emotion, and you don't need to know the story to love the program.

I despise... really LOATHE... it when commentators have to chime in with explanations of what is happening.

"Look how she stoops to simulate weeding the garden on her farm in France" or "Here he's windmilling his arm over his head to simulate the whirring blades of the helicopter that will whisk him to his destiny."

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
A perfect example. She skates expressively, with emotion, and you don't need to know the story to love the program.

I despise... really LOATHE... it when commentators have to chime in with explanations of what is happening.

"Look how she stoops to simulate weeding the garden on her farm in France" or "Here he's windmilling his arm over his head to simulate the whirring blades of the helicopter that will whisk him to his destiny."

LOL, you got examples in mind? I'm sure it happens, but I'd love to hear it for myself.

That was a nice flashback -- a good reminder of why Michelle had such broad appeal.

I think one thing is for sure, Jason isn't going to try to slack off in the performance department. Hamilton's a good challenge. We'll see where it is next weekend.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Literal interpretation isn't necessary. But how about the opposite, where the interpretation has nothing to do with the music or story?

This is probably the single worst program to Tosca I've ever seen. The awful music cuts don't help.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5u1rfhwIKHM

OMG, I totally forgot about that program. I don't remember anything from it and I was there.

ETA: They have some impressive traits -- they skate with a lot of speed and power and had an amazing twist. However, yeah artistry/performance/programs, not their strong suit.

I kind of want it to be the end of July already. Though not really, I don't need time to pass that quickly....but it seem like the world was hit with a LOT of Jason stuff at once -- Jason's video! Golden Skate interview! Skate Milwaukee! Instagram clips! It's sad that we have to wait again, LOL.

Last edited:
I despise... really LOATHE... it when commentators have to chime in with explanations of what is happening...

Although...there is one recent program where I was glad to have "program notes" so that I understood what the various gestures the skater went through were about. This was Evgenia Medvedeva's 9-11 program, where the audience had to know that she was arriving in the big city as an innocent naif, etc., and ending by frantically waiting for a phone call to find out whether her loved ones were safe or dead. I am not sure if i could have figured it all out if her choreographers and posters here had not broken it down for me.

noskates

Record Breaker
Sandra Bezic was the queen of program interpretation. I often wondered if it was her take on the program or if the skater and/or team had told her that. She got some pretty far-out explanations.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Although...there is one recent program where I was glad to have "program notes" so that I understood what the various gestures the skater went through were about. This was Evgenia Medvedeva's 9-11 program, where the audience had to know that she was arriving in the big city as an innocent naif, etc., and ending by frantically waiting for a phone call to find out whether her loved ones were safe or dead. I am not sure if i could have figured it all out if her choreographers and posters here had not broken it down for me.

Actually, this was one of the examples I was thinking of. I was just trying to be kind in not calling it out. Kindness is in my nature, as you know; it's just the way I am.

My view is this: If you need a libretto to follow the action on the ice, the interpretation probably isn't that good.

Although I think an AFTER performance explanation of the program could be fun: "To the naked eye, it may appear that he's gone splat on his quad, but it's really an artistic element representing the failure of all mankind to properly reconcile the contradictions of modern society. Bravo!"

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Really? I thought it was quite obvious that she was saying goodbye to a loved one at the start of the program, and then something dreadful happens, and she gets a phonecall telling her if her loved one is alive. It was super obvious, didn't need explaining. (DIDN'T NEED VOICEOVERS EITHER AVERBUKH.)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Literal interpretation isn't necessary. But how about the opposite, where the interpretation has nothing to do with the music or story?

This is probably the single worst program to Tosca I've ever seen. The awful music cuts don't help.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5u1rfhwIKHM

Oh, my. That is really dreadful. I'd like to thank you for reminding me of that, but I can't bring myself to do it.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LOL, you got examples in mind? I'm sure it happens, but I'd love to hear it for myself.

That was a nice flashback -- a good reminder of why Michelle had such broad appeal.

I think one thing is for sure, Jason isn't going to try to slack off in the performance department. Hamilton's a good challenge. We'll see where it is next weekend.

Here's one featuring a skater I admire, a program I adore, and a commentator I respect.

Dick Button's commentary on Brian Boitano's 1994 USNats LP featured this gem:

"These moves represent the pioneer's love of the land that he sees in front on him."

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Sandra Bezic was the queen of program interpretation. I often wondered if it was her take on the program or if the skater and/or team had told her that. She got some pretty far-out explanations.

I really appreciate anyone who has enough insights/abilities to read programs such as Bezic.

Art does not exist in a vacuum... it requires both works from the originator, the interpreter/reader, the people affect/elevated by it (or in general, art historians who know enough what makes something outstanding). Each brings their own take subject to their life experiences. Otherwise Michelangelo has a thing for naked people, Monet just paint haystacks, Van Gough is a weirdo multilate his bleeding ear while Munch likes to doodle ugly cartoon man who screams.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Up until now, I have seen only one program that told a story. That was when Gordeeva came out and skated without Grinkov for the first time. Heartbreakingly beautiful and stunningly emotional.

bevybean

On the Ice
It's an interesting point. A what point does "interpreting the music" slide into "interpreting the play"?

As for me, I generally dislike programs that try to "tell a story" because they seem to be cliche or, worse, pantomime.
My most disliked choreographic gesture in figure skating are "King Tut hands" during any piece of music that is even vaguely Middle-Eastern.

Do people in the Middle East go around acting like Steve Martin?

That looks ridiculous. It would be like performing to Gone with the Wind, all the while fanning oneself coquettishly like Miss Scarlet and falling to the ice, birthin' a baby like Melanie Wilkes.

I don't need, or want, a re-enactment.

ETA: My general skepticism about the SP is not based on how well (or not) he portrays the Hamilton characters. I just don't like the music or the vibe of what I've seen. I'm able to separate that entirely from my very positive thoughts on the LP. They're two different programs.

I think with Ashley's Moulin Rouge the music edits were HUGE for creating that story too. It allow the music to handle most of the story telling and Ashley to express the emotions that went with it. Also, it wasn't a complicated story. There really is only so much that can be "told" through figure skating. Same with dance.

BTW: Similar to "King Tut hands" in Nutcracker performances, I never understood the "chinese" dancers with their index fingers pointed straight up. Where in the world did that come from anyway? I know it is just a bad stereotype, but Why that?