Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sasha Cohen's Essay in Sports Illustrated

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    oh, maybe she wants to be political journalist.
    In her article, she writes "Charlie Rose and Lesley Stahl have now replaced Kristi Yamaguchi and Scott Hamilton as my idols." So yes, I would imagine her interest is in reporting Current Affairs, which is essentially politics.

6 Not allowed!
    One thing that caught my eye in the description of the program is that the main duties of the News Associates are research, fact-checking, and "pitching stories." The program itself is not for people interested in grooming for on-air positions.

It sounds like Sasha wants to learn the profession from the ground up.

Bona Fide Member

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    One thing that caught my eye in the description of the program is that the main duties of the News Associates are research, fact-checking, and "pitching stories." The program itself is not for people interested in grooming for on-air positions.

It sounds like Sasha wants to learn the profession from the ground up.
    I think you're right about that. Also, if Sasha plans on doing in depth reporting like her idols. She will need to do some interning and other activities to learn the intricacies of how these stories go from paper to the air. A lot of on air personalities are not formal journalists and are simply good story tellers. If Sasha plans on getting to Lesley Stahl's level, she'll have to pound the pavement and earn her way up the ladder. I think she's up to the challenge and she certainly sounds motivated. I wish her the very best.

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weathergal View Post
    I have read articles (sorry can't recall where at the moment) where Sasha has talked about being in the General Studies Program and has talked about the merits of the program. I think her major was actually called General Studies, but I am not 100% sure.
    Columbia University has several undergraduate schools, including Columbia College, Barnard, the School of Engineering, and General Studies (GS). GS is for "non-traditional" students - basically, people who don't go directly from high school to college. The undergraduate schools have different curricula but share many classes and professors.

Bona Fide Member

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavi... View Post
    Columbia University has several undergraduate schools, including Columbia College, Barnard, the School of Engineering, and General Studies (GS). GS is for "non-traditional" students - basically, people who don't go directly from high school to college. The undergraduate schools have different curricula but share many classes and professors.
    This is true. There are also schools that specialize in certain areas. My Sisiter went to Cal Arts and my best friend Tiffany, graduated from the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising. My dance training began at a very young age and I actually started working before I went to college. My life was backwards....

I will say this.....What Sasha can bring to the table that a "Regular" young reporter can't is what's called a "Q" rating. It basically tells the network how popular a person is. Most people entering the news force for the first time, don't have a rating at all. Sasha will have a Q rating and that alone will open a lot of doors for her. There are several former football players who have worked at ESPN who are not Journalists but they know the game. What they bring to the broadcast is a fan base that has followed them throughout their careers. Sasha could start out on sports and transition into other areas as she gains experience on camera.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrice View Post

I will say this.....What Sasha can bring to the table that a "Regular" young reporter can't is what's called a "Q" rating.
    So true. Plus, combining her backstory with her looks, CBS will have plenty of motivation to move her from ber from behind-the-scenes to front and center, if her internship works out.

There are several former football players who have worked at ESPN who are not Journalists but they know the game. What they bring to the broadcast is a fan base that has followed them throughout their careers.
    The most spectacular example is Michael Strahan, who went from sports gigs to Kelly and Michael and is now a media super-star at Good Morning America.

Rinkside

5 Not allowed!
    This was such a great read! I agree with sabinfire and wish I could read a longer version of this.

Particularly loved the line about vulnerability and how it's a shame our society associates it with weakness when it's really about showing that one is human (the humanity). Made me think of Gracie.

Hope to see more essays from Sasha (Alex?) soon!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3