Sasha Cohen's Essay in Sports Illustrated | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen's Essay in Sports Illustrated

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Speaking of what skaters will do with their lives after skating, I have to wonder what they do during their spare time. Brian Boitano turned his cooking skills into a TV Show. I wonder if Patrick Chan will buy and run a Vineyard. Here's a commercial for Brian's Cooking Show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cdcNORgbXE

Skaters do various things in their spare time and it depends on the skater individually what they are interested in

FWIW-Patrick has a line of Ice Wine so he's already got that going for him.

Evan Lysacek was always interested in fashion and is working as a Senior Consultant for Vera Wang out of NYC.

The list goes on....

Barb

Record Breaker

R.D.

Record Breaker
I remember not too long ago she posted some images of volunteer work she did for less fortunate youth, as well as what appeared to be extensive world travel.

She also did a talk (forgot whether it was posted here or not) - think it was Columbia-related - where she recapped her Olympic career and had some interesting insights. I'm sure many current (and aspiring) athletes would love to hear her perspective, or if she is comfortable with it, guidance.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I remember not too long ago she posted some images of volunteer work she did for less fortunate youth, as well as what appeared to be extensive world travel.

She also did a talk (forgot whether it was posted here or not) - think it was Columbia-related - where she recapped her Olympic career and had some interesting insights. I'm sure many current (and aspiring) athletes would love to hear her perspective, or if she is comfortable with it, guidance.

I am not sure which one you refer to but here are links to some recent (relatively) interviews:
https://build.aol.com/video/5806b776869ea955a09ed64e/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimcla...-10-years-after-torino-olympics/#44cbda964cd9

I think Sasha will do well in a dynamic environment of news journalism :cheer:

To think about it, the problems the athletes face after their life in sport is over are not unlike those of the demobbed - life should be easy after the war/military service but it is not - the clarity of purpose (as Sasha put it) gone, the skills they learnt are no good for a 'normal' life...

Weathergal

Medalist
So she studied journalism? Or is it not necessary?

^ I am pretty sure that Sasha's major at Columbia University was political science. She also took some finance and marketing classes. As far as I know she hasn't studied journalism in a formal way. Presumably News Associate program with CBS provides on-the-job training.

Edit: Here is the announcement of the CBS program.

https://cbs.avature.net/cbsnewscareers/JobDetail/News-Associate-New-York-Bureau/8127

oh, maybe she wants to be political journalist.

I have read articles (sorry can't recall where at the moment) where Sasha has talked about being in the General Studies Program and has talked about the merits of the program. I think her major was actually called General Studies, but I am not 100% sure.

Barb

Record Breaker
I have read articles (sorry can't recall where at the moment) where Sasha has talked about being in the General Studies Program and has talked about the merits of the program. I think her major was actually called General Studies, but I am not 100% sure.

I think the school is called ¨School of General studies¨ and they have several careers, political science is one of them.
https://gs.columbia.edu/my-gs-story#Nancy Saunders

A major in General studies would sound like a high school extension :laugh:.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Great essay. I would've loved to read something like this in a longer form. Hopefully we'll see a lot more work from her in the future.

cl2

Final Flight
oh, maybe she wants to be political journalist.

In her article, she writes "Charlie Rose and Lesley Stahl have now replaced Kristi Yamaguchi and Scott Hamilton as my idols." So yes, I would imagine her interest is in reporting Current Affairs, which is essentially politics.

One thing that caught my eye in the description of the program is that the main duties of the News Associates are research, fact-checking, and "pitching stories." The program itself is not for people interested in grooming for on-air positions.

It sounds like Sasha wants to learn the profession from the ground up.

mrrice

Record Breaker
One thing that caught my eye in the description of the program is that the main duties of the News Associates are research, fact-checking, and "pitching stories." The program itself is not for people interested in grooming for on-air positions.

It sounds like Sasha wants to learn the profession from the ground up.

I think you're right about that. Also, if Sasha plans on doing in depth reporting like her idols. She will need to do some interning and other activities to learn the intricacies of how these stories go from paper to the air. A lot of on air personalities are not formal journalists and are simply good story tellers. If Sasha plans on getting to Lesley Stahl's level, she'll have to pound the pavement and earn her way up the ladder. I think she's up to the challenge and she certainly sounds motivated. I wish her the very best.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Columbia University has several undergraduate schools, including Columbia College, Barnard, the School of Engineering, and General Studies (GS). GS is for "non-traditional" students - basically, people who don't go directly from high school to college. The undergraduate schools have different curricula but share many classes and professors.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Columbia University has several undergraduate schools, including Columbia College, Barnard, the School of Engineering, and General Studies (GS). GS is for "non-traditional" students - basically, people who don't go directly from high school to college. The undergraduate schools have different curricula but share many classes and professors.

This is true. There are also schools that specialize in certain areas. My Sisiter went to Cal Arts and my best friend Tiffany, graduated from the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising. My dance training began at a very young age and I actually started working before I went to college. My life was backwards....:drama:

I will say this.....What Sasha can bring to the table that a "Regular" young reporter can't is what's called a "Q" rating. It basically tells the network how popular a person is. Most people entering the news force for the first time, don't have a rating at all. Sasha will have a Q rating and that alone will open a lot of doors for her. There are several former football players who have worked at ESPN who are not Journalists but they know the game. What they bring to the broadcast is a fan base that has followed them throughout their careers. Sasha could start out on sports and transition into other areas as she gains experience on camera.

I will say this.....What Sasha can bring to the table that a "Regular" young reporter can't is what's called a "Q" rating.

So true. Plus, combining her backstory with her looks, CBS will have plenty of motivation to move her from ber from behind-the-scenes to front and center, if her internship works out.

There are several former football players who have worked at ESPN who are not Journalists but they know the game. What they bring to the broadcast is a fan base that has followed them throughout their careers.

The most spectacular example is Michael Strahan, who went from sports gigs to Kelly and Michael and is now a media super-star at Good Morning America.

Suze

Rinkside
This was such a great read! I agree with sabinfire and wish I could read a longer version of this.

Particularly loved the line about vulnerability and how it's a shame our society associates it with weakness when it's really about showing that one is human (the humanity). Made me think of Gracie.

Hope to see more essays from Sasha (Alex?) soon!