where to watch skating? | Golden Skate

where to watch skating?

primeactionimages

Spectator
It is becoming very hard to watch on TV skating events, I live in Canada a Skating country but networks follow seldom or if they do it's more highlights.
This is a contrast to 10 + years ago you could watch any National, International or Pro comp.
Any ideas?
This might not be the right place for this but I found no general chat or introduction choice.

sincerely
D

frida80

Record Breaker
It is becoming very hard to watch on TV skating events, I live in Canada a Skating country but networks follow seldom or if they do it's more highlights.
This is a contrast to 10 + years ago you could watch any National, International or Pro comp.
Any ideas?
This might not be the right place for this but I found no general chat or introduction choice.

sincerely
D

Does CBC cover most major skating events like the GP series and IJs championship? Of everything else, there's normally a stream.

Barb

Record Breaker
Any ideas?

sincerely
D

In the main section http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/forum.php you can see the competitions discussion, when the date of the competition is close, usually 1 week, but the preference the same day there is a thread where links are posted to watch it online and tv schedule.

brightphoton

Medalist
Youtube, mostly

if you want to watch during live events, check on the forum and people will have links to shady Russian and Chinese streaming sites

TGee

Record Breaker
Does CBC cover most major skating events like the GP series and IJs championship? Of everything else, there's normally a stream.

You are correct. But the OP is correct that there is less 'one stop shopping' for figure skating coverage in Canada. As well, the Canadian made for TV figure skating specials of Toller Cranston's era, and professional competitions are long gone. What we have more of though is direct access to livestream of competitive events from pre-juvenile on up.

And I like the idea of having a sticky thread or folder providing general information about broadcasters and livestreams in a number of countries: I'll contribute my thoughts for Canada

CBC covers the Olympics, Four Continents, Worlds and the Grand Prix events [other than Skate Canada International]. It's part of their Road to the Olympic Games continuing coverage.

-CBC provides livestream without commentary of usually reasonable quality, but many of the television broadcasts are on time [or even week] delay so that they can be rolled into CBC's Road to the Olympic Games sports magazine coverage on Saturday afternoons.
-CBC also usually provides on line full program clips of the podium skates and top Canadians for each discipline, as well as full replays
-There are also figureskating sports stories posted under the sports section...

CTV and TSN [still, to my regret] :dev2: have the contracts with Skate Canada as the broadcasters for both Skate Canada International and the Canadian Tire National Skating Championships [nationals]. CTV takes the highest rated long programs, and TSN the shorts, mostly. One literally has to switch back and forth...and hope that the TSN you get is not the 1 in 5 that doesn't get the figure skating coverage...:palmf:

-CTV/TSN do not
[1] provide livestream in Canada;
[2] provide full length replays or replays of full programs;
[3] cover the full events

What is wonderful is that Skate Canada itself provides some of the highest quality livestream coverage for its domestic events [or portions thereof] that aren't picked up by television broadcasters. This can be linked usually from Skate Canada's website directly. Ted Barton, Skate Canada's Executive Director for BC/YK leads the commentary on the livestream. He's been an advocate for transparent livestream coverage of events so that skaters and coaches can see what their competitors are doing. He is well known now to the international figure skating audience for his live commentary on the ISU junior grand prix series.

And of this year, Skate Canada is requiring that its 5 national summer series competitions will be livestreamed. Coverage begins with Minto Summer Skate next week. Transparency is a boon for fans. Check out the summer competition threads for the listings and events...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:agree: Bravo TGee, wonderful post.

As a Canadian, I found that I was very lucky to be watching a whole bunch of events online from the CBC livestream without commentary. I am a fan who is able to make his own "commentary/analysis" and I appreciate the performances without it. This livestream usually comes for free for Canadians, as long as you have an internet connection.

I have watched almost all GP events, worlds, 4CC, on this stream all of last year.
The biggest advantages : it's the full event and it's live.

The biggest disadvantage : well.. time difference... sigh... i stayed up all night way too often.

As TGee mentioned, the on TV programs do not cover every skater and is usually a week later ... or a few days later, at best.... sometimes, for big events like Nationals and Worlds, they will be broadcasting a final flight live... or almost live...

Finally, it is true that there are many fans who come here and comment in the competition threads, and share links to livestreams... but you need an adblock for sure for these and they are not always reliable... however, if you want to watch a competition like Asian games or some challengers, that's what you will need to do.

Finally, the competition threads also have a video section where people post things as they appear on youtube... you can then watch the full event, one video at a time, either in order of the results... or without spoilers, in skating order.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
primeactionimages, please feel free to join the late night vampires or the VIP Skating Comedy Club, with acts by ancientpeas, SarahSynchro, 4everchan, TGee, Mango, NoNameface, Mr. Rice, Violet Bliss, myself, and many others. Things to bring ...wine and whine, doggie snacks, a full fridge, storm chips, eye drops, coffee, a healthy dose of sarcasm and most of all, stamina.

Be warned, as some of us tend to go well into the wee hours of the morn. with our livestreams. Note to others that new members are always welcomed. :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
primeactionimages, please feel free to join the late night vampires or the VIP Skating Comedy Club, with acts by ancientpeas, SarahSynchro, 4everchan, TGee, Mango, NoNameface, Mr. Rice, Violet Bliss, myself, and many others. Things to bring ...wine and whine, doggie snacks, a full fridge, storm chips, eye drops, coffee, a healthy dose of sarcasm and most of all, stamina.

Be warned, as some of us tend to go well into the wee hours of the morn. with our livestreams. Note to others that new members are always welcomed. :)

I just want everyone to know that this could be the "Truest" statement ever written, especially when it comes to me.........This deserves a giant KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Tiredness is basically drunkenness for me. I take no responsibility for posts made after midnight. Which when writing PBP for some events...is a lot of the time...

mrrice

Record Breaker
Tiredness is basically drunkenness for me. I take no responsibility for posts made after midnight. Which when writing PBP for some events...is a lot of the time...

Right!!!! :drama: In all seriousness, does the daily motion still have their stream? I saw a lot of events using that system.

QLutz

On the Ice
Any ideas?

sincerely
D

I live in the states and have a vpn/smartdns. this allows me to subscribe to eurosport during skating season. vpn&smartdns w eurosport = about $15/month. but you should be able to get it way cheaper if you use your vpn/smartdns to access a uk website, something like tvplayer.com, which has eurosport built in.

TGee

Record Breaker
CTV/TSN do provide free live stream coverage of Skate Canada and Canadian nationals.

I suspect we have different ideas about what 'livestream' means..;)

They provide stream of their TV coverage to Canadian IP addresses at the time of original broadcast...I think of this more as 'watching online' or through the CTV GO app than livestream.

...This may allow folks in BC to avoid the time delay, but it certainly doesn't provide complete livestream in the way many of us think of it.

Alex D

Record Breaker
CBC also achieves their streams, so you can watch them whenever you like. So far, it´s free unlike NBC :unsure:

sammyott

Rinkside
I live in the states and have a vpn/smartdns. this allows me to subscribe to eurosport during skating season. vpn&smartdns w eurosport = about $15/month. but you should be able to get it way cheaper if you use your vpn/smartdns to access a uk website, something like tvplayer.com, which has eurosport built in.

Do you recommend a specific VPN or Smart DNS? And what's a resonable price for those services. I've been trying to get access to eurosport for a while and had no idea I could do this...