Retirement speculation | Golden Skate

Retirement speculation

tyrion14

Spectator
Who I think is likely to retire: Leonova, Kostner, Savchenko, Fernandez, Nagasu, Virtue/Moir, Chan, maybe D/R?

I think there are others whose retirement depends on how successful they are this season, such as Nathan Chen or Gracie Gold. Someone could also pull a Lipinski and walk away after winning it all (maybe Medvedeva or Zagitova?)

kresslia

Medalist
Ladies:

Kostner, Gracie, Nagasu

Men:

Fernandez, Reynolds, Chan

ID:

V/M, B/S, C/L, maybe W/P

Pairs:

D/R, S/M, I/M

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
with worlds coming to montreal, i am not sure if all the Canadians we thought would retire will do so...

pretty sure about V/M, D/R and Reynolds as well... Chan... could surprise us... but I think he will retire as well... I think I/M and W/P may continue because of home worlds coming up.

For the international athletes : it's clearer.... Kostner, Gold, Wagner, Nagasu could all go. Fernandez will go... probably some of the American men as well. I don't think we will see many Japanese single athletes retiring maybe Rika Hongo??? Maybe Takahito, though I feel he could keep on.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Who I think is likely to retire: Leonova, Kostner, Savchenko, Fernandez, Nagasu, Virtue/Moir, Chan, maybe D/R?

I think there are others whose retirement depends on how successful they are this season, such as Nathan Chen or Gracie Gold. Someone could also pull a Lipinski and walk away after winning it all (maybe Medvedeva or Zagitova?)

Same, it could happen, but I really want gold and nagasu to not retire and try for 2022. I think Ashley will try too.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

In the article where Eric Radford gave the details of his injury at Worlds, he said something along the lines of, "my back only has to hold up for one more season", so it certainly seems as though they've made their decision.

Same, it could happen, but I really want gold and nagasu to not retire and try for 2022. I think Ashley will try too.

I think Ashley might not retire after this season, but I'd be really shocked if she went to 2022. She's be just a couple months under 31 by those games and I don't think her tech would hold up enough for her to be competitive by that point.

ETA: Same for Mirai, actually. They've both said they don't want to say it's their last season because that's too much pressure (or something to that effect), and both might continue for another season or two, but imo neither will keep going for another whole quad.

macy

Record Breaker
I think Ashley might not retire after this season, but I'd be really shocked if she went to 2022. She's be just a couple months under 31 by those games and I don't think her tech would hold up enough for her to be competitive by that point.

ETA: Same for Mirai, actually. They've both said they don't want to say it's their last season because that's too much pressure (or something to that effect), and both might continue for another season or two, but imo neither will keep going for another whole quad.

I second this. I can't imagine either staying past a couple more seasons after this one...gosh that's sad to think about. :eek:hwell: it will be hard to see American figure skating without the two of them, especially Ashley since she's been the most successful US ladies skater in the last 5 years or so. both skaters have been such a joy to watch over the years, but hopefully they will continue to do shows for us.

desertskates

Medalist
Agree with what everybody listed above. Other we'll probably say see ya later to are Adam Rippon, Michal Brezina, Sergei Voronov, Chock and Bates, Marchei and Hotarek, and Cappellini and Lanote.

Senescal

Rinkside
In case of Fernandez my personal feeling is that he wants to retire in the European Championship the year after the Olympics.

Barb

Record Breaker
In case of Fernandez my personal feeling is that he wants to retire in the European Championship the year after the Olympics.

But european is like 1 or 2 months before worlds. Why he would want to go to Europeans and not to Worlds?

Senescal

Rinkside
But european is like 1 or 2 months before worlds. Why he would want to go to Europeans and not to Worlds?

For him europeans are a specials, probably is the competition that have given him more satisfactions and he has achieved 5 titles in a row, he can get one more (6) next season and try to make 7 (the magic number, like Plushenko did).

But I really don't know, only Javi know his feelings, his motivations and his shape. I heard this possibility in a interview, he is 200% into Olympics, after this event he will decide.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Yeah, I think there is a small (but realistic) probability that she doesn't even make the team. If she fails to rotate her triples, it isn't hard to imagine any of Karen, Gracie, Mirai, or Mariah beating Ashley. It appears that the USFSA is done overlooking her rotation issues, given how she was called out on a few jumps at Nationals that she might have been given a pass on in previous years. Like you, I absolutely cannot see her continuing on through 2022.

macy

Record Breaker
Yeah, I think there is a small (but realistic) probability that she doesn't even make the team. If she fails to rotate her triples, it isn't hard to imagine any of Karen, Gracie, Mirai, or Mariah beating Ashley. It appears that the USFSA is done overlooking her rotation issues, given how she was called out on a few jumps at Nationals that she might have been given a pass on in previous years. Like you, I absolutely cannot see her continuing on through 2022.

keep in mind though, gracie is a complete question mark at this point as to which direction her season will go. of course she could come back with a fire under her butt and guns blazing, or it could be a repeat of last year or worse. its so hard to tell with no practice reports to go off of or anything on her social media. I just hope she is rediscovering her love for the sport.

without this becoming another gracie thread, I think judging by previous seasons' results and whatnot I think the US ladies team will for sure consist of ashley and Karen, as for the 3rd spot I would say its up in the air between mirai, Mariah, and gracie. I would love to see it be mirai or gracie. but of course, it's nationals and anything can happen. but USFSA has to decide based off who has the best chance of getting hardware and performing the best under pressure, and I have a hard time believing they would leave ashley or Karen off the team, especially with Karen's finish at world's this year and Ashley's international record being the strongest out of any US lady right now. but as always, time will tell. :shrug: :agree:

mrrice

Record Breaker
with worlds coming to montreal, i am not sure if all the Canadians we thought would retire will do so...

pretty sure about V/M, D/R and Reynolds as well... Chan... could surprise us... but I think he will retire as well... I think I/M and W/P may continue because of home worlds coming up.

For the international athletes : it's clearer.... Kostner, Gold, Wagner, Nagasu could all go. Fernandez will go... probably some of the American men as well. I don't think we will see many Japanese single athletes retiring maybe Rika Hongo??? Maybe Takahito, though I feel he could keep on.

I think it will depend on how Patrick performs at the Olympics. If he wins, I think he might do an exhibition but, I don't think he'll compete. I feel the same way about all the North American skaters. Possibly the younger skaters like, Karen Chen or Mariah Bell will continue after the Olympics but, I think Garcie, Ashley, Mirai, Adam, Max, Grant, and any other skaters who will be in their mid to late 20's.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think it will depend on how Patrick performs at the Olympics. If he wins, I think he might do an exhibition but, I don't think he'll compete. I feel the same way about all the North American skaters. Possibly the younger skaters like, Karen Chen or Mariah Bell will continue after the Olympics but, I think Garcie, Ashley, Mirai, Adam, Max, Grant, and any other skaters who will be in their mid to late 20's.

what i can say is that many more skaters than we think will retire or at least take a year off... olympics are draining...

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Lubov and Dylan also confirmed in the new interview with Ted Flett that they will for sure retire after this season. Along with D/R who've been mentioned in this thread, Elladj Balde, Liam Firus and Kevin Reynolds are other Canadian skaters who've publicly confirmed that they will retire after this season.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Lubov and Dylan also confirmed in the new interview with Ted Flett that they will for sure retire after this season. Along with D/R who've been mentioned in this thread, Elladj Balde, Liam Firus and Kevin Reynolds are other Canadian skaters who've publicly confirmed that they will retire after this season.

I wonder if Lubov would continue with someone else, given her age.

Kevin? :(

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I will feel really bad for Firus if he retires without having competed at Worlds as he earned the right to do so.