Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How much are lessons nowadays?

Because backflips are sexy.... Ic3Rabbit's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by renla View Post
    My coach is in his 50's and charges $40 per half hour. He said his rate is a bit higher than the other coaches at the rink, but he's the only former Olympian out of them. His students are competitive and he teaches children and adults. My parents balked at the price when I told them (they're concerned I'm not buying enough food, lol), but I think it's money well spent. Plus, the price doesn't seem that bad from everyone's responses here.
    IMHO $40 for a former Olympian coach is a steal. Normally they charge 50 bucks a half hour or more depending on their credentials.

Rinkside

1 Not allowed!
    I guess I'm lucky that's what he charges! If it was $50 I'd probably have to have one lesson every two weeks. I've been contemplating doing that now, but I feel like I'm making really good progress with my weekly lessons. This sport sure is expensive, but it's so fun!

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    I guess I'm lucky that's what he charges! If it was $50 I'd probably have to have one lesson every two weeks. I've been contemplating doing that now, but I feel like I'm making really good progress with my weekly lessons. This sport sure is expensive, but it's so fun!
    Mine who charges $50 per half hour, has coached at the Olympics and at several World Championships. I could have chosen a much cheaper coach and had more lesson time, but I didn't because I knew I would be getting my money's worth by working with this one. When choosing a coach, it did help to have been working at the rink for several years beforehand, so I had plenty of time to observe them and talk with their students about them.

Spectator

0 Not allowed!
    How long should I typical trial lesson be? How long should it take for me to know if I like this coach's teaching style or not ?

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure about the length of a typical trial lesson. I think normal lessons are between 15-30 minutes, so maybe around there? I think if you take a few trial lessons with different coaches you'll be able to pick who you liked best. In my case, I was set up with a coach through my rink's skating director based on availability, which probably wasn't the best way. But I mesh well with his teaching style and he adapts to my personality, so I lucked out!

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    In my case, I was set up with a coach through my rink's skating director based on availability, which probably wasn't the best way. But I mesh well with his teaching style and he adapts to my personality, so I lucked out!
    The private lesson brochure here, which lists all the coach bios, says in it to contact the skating director regarding availability of coaches. I think most of the students though, had their private instructors when starting out with group lessons. Supposedly the coaches are not supposed to solicit group lesson students to get private students, but I have heard coaches complaining about other coaches doing it.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Annelegato View Post
    How long should I typical trial lesson be? How long should it take for me to know if I like this coach's teaching style or not ?
    One or two 30-minute lessons should be enough to tell. Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions during the lesson as well.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by treesprite View Post
    The private lesson brochure here, which lists all the coach bios, says in it to contact the skating director regarding availability of coaches. I think most of the students though, had their private instructors when starting out with group lessons. Supposedly the coaches are not supposed to solicit group lesson students to get private students, but I have heard coaches complaining about other coaches doing it.
    Oh, I didn't know that coaches weren't supposed to do that. I guess going through the director makes everything fair as far as how many students a coach gets?

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    It's a foggy area. PSA changed rules, so private coaches are now allowed to solicit IF their rinks allow it. But then group lessons complicate matters, because it involves the coach taking advantage of the students and the program, which is beyond the scope of simple solicitation.

There are adult skaters at this rink who take from whatever coach is available at whatever time the skater decides to do a lesson. The coaches don't seem to mind sharing the adult skaters in that way, but I don't know that they would want to do it with advanced young skaters who are training for qualifying competition (beyond it being just a matter of specialty areas).

Make sure the person you chose is actually contracted at your rink. Sometimes when I'm guarding, coaches come up to me about people they don't recognize who appear to be teaching. Even our old skating director went as far as to say that that even friends and parents are not allowed to teach, and managers will sometimes either ask me to question a person or will do it themselves if they don't recognize someone. I've had some people get really upset over being told they can't teach their own kids. Our newer skating director isnt so rigid about it.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, I didn't know that coaches weren't supposed to do that. I guess going through the director makes everything fair as far as how many students a coach gets?
    To clarify, if you as a student are taking a group class and you want to approach that coach, or any coach, that is totally fine. Those guidelines only refer to coaches approaching students.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2