2017 Lake Placid Ice Dance Champs 7/26-7/29 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 Lake Placid Ice Dance Champs 7/26-7/29

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know the music that Carriera/Ponomorenko danced to in their free dance? The audio was very weak on the video and I couldn't recognize it.

W.E. OST (Dance For Me Wallis and Abdication).

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really think what were M/C's problems last year was winning everything the year before and not having anything more to prove as Junior skaters. They were more then ready to move on and push themselves like P/B did last season despite them only being the #3 US Junior team the year before.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Did anyone watch the young Russian team, P/V to the end; they had the Swan Lake FD? How could their coach have given such a lovely girl that hideous costume? I found it very distracting. Penny for your thoughts...

zebobes

Final Flight
The new senior teams have great FDs, it just seems like coming up with a truly great SD is a very challenging thing to do, as I wasn't very impressed by any of them. Last year, the Parsons had such a great SD, I think that's what helped them stay on top of the junior circuit. For V/M last year, their fabulous short dance is also what kept them on top last year. I'm very curious to see what SDs the top three US teams come up with, because I think that will be critical.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
The new senior teams have great FDs, it just seems like coming up with a truly great SD is a very challenging thing to do, as I wasn't very impressed by any of them. Last year, the Parsons had such a great SD, I think that's what helped them stay on top of the junior circuit. For V/M last year, their fabulous short dance is also what kept them on top last year. I'm very curious to see what SDs the top three US teams come up with, because I think that will be critical.

I definitely agree with you. I mean I know Hubbell/Donohue were struggling with their SD and were tweaking it all season and finally hit it out of the park at Worlds, but I think if a team wants to be seen as a top contender for a medal (or maybe play spoiler for the top 2) they really need to hit it out of the park right away with the SD and FD.

Barb

Record Breaker
The Parsons' skating skills, lifts, dance holds are top notch for not just a new senior team, but I think they could give all but the cream of the crop a run for their money. And I don't know about if it's a sibling hivemind thing, but their twizzles can definitely challenge the Shibs! I was a bit worried that their FD would invite Missing comparisions, but I actually felt it had a different feel from that program -- namely the Parsons have better skating skills than the Duschanseys did back in the day and it felt more like a fun and whimsical program.

it is not like if the program itself don´t invite to comparisions. The first time I watched it, I noticed the same choreo like the Duchesnays

I can´t copy the links of P/P but the choreo moves from the min 2:30 y 2:52 are the same like the Duchesnays at min 1:55 https://youtu.be/coM4d1CQZfs?t=114 and 3:56 https://youtu.be/coM4d1CQZfs?t=236 , I don´t think it is a coincidence.
I just think they are not in the stage of their careers to make something really memorable with that music.
Regardless of that, I think they would to have more probabilities to get an olympic spot with the programs from last year.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
it is not like if the program itself don´t invite to comparisions. The first time I watched it, I noticed the same choreo like the Duchesnays

I can´t copy the links of P/P but the choreo moves from the min 2:30 y 2:52 are the same like the Duchesnays at min 1:55 https://youtu.be/coM4d1CQZfs?t=114 and 3:56 https://youtu.be/coM4d1CQZfs?t=236 , I don´t think it is a coincidence.
Regardless of that, I think they would to have more probabilities to get an olympic spot with the programs from last year.

I think I would be naive if I didn't think there weren't ANY influence....but I still like the program. This program may have some similarities or homages to certain move but by the fact it's in IJS, it's going to be different. Parsons' lift for one are excellent.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since I'm me and I like to calculate potential figure skating scores, I did it for McNamara/Carpenter and the Parsons. Basically it's on if everything was level 4, no falls, and no negative GOE. Based on that, if all the factors I discussed was added up, McNamara/Carpenter would have gotten 181.76 and the Parsons would have gotten 172.42.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think I would be naive if I didn't think there weren't ANY influence....but I still like the program. This program may have some similarities or homages to certain move but by the fact it's in IJS, it's going to be different. Parsons' lift for one are excellent.

I love the Parsons' FD!:luv17: For me, despite some similarities in music, it has a completely different feeling emotionally than Missing, which I remember watching way back when. I think the Parsons have a softer, more fluid style and are better skaters (or at least better than Isabelle), allowing them to carry off unique moves in a way that (at least to me) doesn't appear awkward or gimmicky, which I sometimes felt with Missing and other innovative Duchesnay programs.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Did anyone watch the young Russian team, P/V to the end; they had the Swan Lake FD? How could their coach have given such a lovely girl that hideous costume? I found it very distracting. Penny for your thoughts...
I saw the video, and I agree with you. The tu-tu was too big and distracting, the black tights did not look very good on her either. I sure hope those are not their final costumes, especially for her. Overall, I am not sure that 'Swan Lake' suits them that well. They have good speed and power (or so it looked on the video), but, in my opinion, they are not balletic enough - at least not yet. Her arm movements are beautiful at places, but something is lacking - I don't really know what, as I am far from a ballet expert. They can skate lyrical just fine and look effortless and even somewhat ethereal while doing it, but not this. I hope that the choreography will at least be improved/added to.

Also - do you know where can I find at least their score if not protocols? I searched on the Lake Placid site, but could not find the scores for them and Lewis/Bye etc.

MCR

Spectator
Country
New-Zealand
Does anyone have the detailed results for Advanced Novice (International)?
I'm keen to get my hands on them!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I saw the video, and I agree with you. The tu-tu was too big and distracting, the black tights did not look very good on her either. I sure hope those are not their final costumes, especially for her. Overall, I am not sure that 'Swan Lake' suits them that well. They have good speed and power (or so it looked on the video), but, in my opinion, they are not balletic enough - at least not yet. Her arm movements are beautiful at places, but something is lacking - I don't really know what, as I am far from a ballet expert. They can skate lyrical just fine and look effortless and even somewhat ethereal while doing it, but not this. I hope that the choreography will at least be improved/added to.

Also - do you know where can I find at least their score if not protocols? I searched on the Lake Placid site, but could not find the scores for them and Lewis/Bye etc.

Agree regarding her costume, unweildly, distracting... I am surprised she managed to skate in it at all. Sophia's R & J dress last season was exquisite so, fingers-crossed, this current tutu will be refined ... it actually has possibilities... the tutu should be cut back drastically and perhaps made a bit more wispy to flow with her body movements. The gray color of the dress is soft, quite beautiful actually and should extend to the tights which should be a very pale, translucent gray as well... just my thought...

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Does anyone have the detailed results for Advanced Novice (International)?
I'm keen to get my hands on them!

I'd like to see them too. My notes from when the scores for the two CDs were announced didn't add up to match the totals that were announced. So ???? I don't know what the real scores were for each CD.