2017 Lake Placid Ice Dance Champs 7/26-7/29 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017 Lake Placid Ice Dance Champs 7/26-7/29

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
From the ones I've seen, Manta/Johnson were the only ones who looked like they were ice dancing out there while most other ones I've seen looked like they were doing SD required elements. Though, I felt the Parsons were the class of the field in terms of SS and execution of steps (outside that fall from Michael).

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYG4MwcbvmQ Parsons

Other than the mistake, it was actually really impressive overall. Michael got up really quickly! With out that mistake, they would have been in first easily -- they likely lost a level on the step and obviously the fall deduction. Good edge quality, close dance holds -- they really play up the ballroom aspect to avoid the sibling creep factor. I hope we get to see protocols. They definitely deserve top marks on pattern/step sequences.

ETA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic0lN8pNZ6U&t=1s McNamara/Carpenter

Nice to see them do well. Their trademark speed is there and their pattern was really really good. I'd like to see more connection and expression -- they haven't quite clinched the Latin feel yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDcCxFd2oJ8 Pogrebinsky/Benoit

Another solid performance. They are showing some Latin feel, though I feel some of the elements seem kind of out of place in a Latin SD -- the spiral lift doesn't really seem more appropriate for a lyrical-type SD.

It's going to be a crazy battle for those 4CC spots/Pewter spot.

I'm SO excited how the Parsons and McNamara/Carpenter will do this season in their senior debut season!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
From the ones I've seen, Manta/Johnson were the only ones who looked like they were ice dancing out there while most other ones I've seen looked like they were doing SD required elements. Though, I felt the Parsons were the class of the field in terms of SS and execution of steps (outside that fall from Michael).

Yeah, Manta/Johnson definitely had the best Latin feel. It actually reminded me a lot of Pechalat/Bourzat's fun breezy SD. I so badly want them to keep working on their basics and edge quality cause honestly without that, they will likely be behind those three pairs + Hawayek/Baker, i.e. a 8th place finish at best.

As I said above, I do think the Parsons attempted to go for a more classic ballroom Latin, but it probably could use a bit more sass.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
After SD
1- McNamara / Carpenter - USA - 64.26
2- Pogrebinsky / Benoit - USA - 63.63
3- Parsons / Parsons - USA - 61.25
4- Manta / Johnson - USA - 59.33
5- Müller / Dieck - GER - 57.60

Does anyone have the Australians' scores please?

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, the Greens look good. Can't wait to see them on the JGP this year, and I can't wait to watch all the other videos when I get a chance.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Wow, the Greens look good. Can't wait to see them on the JGP this year, and I can't wait to watch all the other videos when I get a chance.

I really liked C/P, his costume, not so much. I'm really impressed by Parson sibs and McNamara/Carpenter skating skills. Their team really knows how to teach the rhumba pattern, they looked to be flying out there. P/B looked to be struggling on the rhumba pattern but the latin motif is a good fit for them. But I must say overall I'm underwhelmed by the majority of the SD's so looking forward to the FD.

Skategmt

On the Ice
McNamara / Carpenter - I liked the Italian music for Latin, it differentiates them a bit from other teams. Hopefully we get some more emotion, Lorraine is usually pretty good about that :)

Parsons / Parsons - Too bad about the fall! I thought the M/C looked stronger.

Carreira and Ponomarenko - MY FAVORITES! I think this program has so much potential! So much detail, I love the opening and closing! They do not skate like juniors! A little more expression and this is a Junior Worlds Winning SD.

Green and Green - I've been following them for ages, I can't wait to see them on the JGP. I think they will at least get bronze at US Nats, and potentially rival Lewis and Bye for silver.

Andrea82

Medalist
Looking at the nations/couples in quest of the last Olympic spots at Nebelhorn competing here, Finland and Armenia teams are quite behind Czech Republic and also Azerbaijan in the SD.

Looking at videos, I see Simon Proulx-Senecal had a nasty fall at the end of their program. He struggled to walk out of the rink.

Lyssa

On the Ice
Country
France
Junior Results
1- Carreira / Ponomarenko - USA - 149.76
2- Green / Green - USA - 132.86
3- Gunter / Wein - USA - 111.92
4- Amoia / Becker - USA - 107.15
5- Marsh / Verburg - GBR - 97.86

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Carriera/Ponomarenko are IT for me. They've got the two essential E's -- Expression and Emotion. They're actually dancing, and enjoying the interplay with each other. Love their FD; I had no awareness of required elements, just enjoyed their skating and completely into it.

Actually, there are three E's ... I'll add Elongation. I don't know exactly why I have the impression of such long lines while watching them. Maybe it's that the choreography allows them to hold onto their positions longer, so I can enjoy them. Well done, Igor! and especially well done, Christina and Anthony!:love:

Andrea82

Medalist
https://twitter.com/fsonline/status/891404569825222656

Final result

McNamara/Carpenter 165.26
Parsons 156.82
Pogrebisnky/Benoit 152.13
Muller/Dieck 146.34
Manta/Johnson 143.25
Kuzmichova/Sinicyn 135.40
Biechler/Dodge 135.17
Sales/Wamsteeker 126.67
Arnold/Williams 125.76
Galyeta/Brown 121.58
Torn/Partanen 120.5
Lanaghan/Razgulajevs 118.43
Hertenstein/Binkowski 120.8
Friend/Badaoui 92.5
Hew-Low/McKernan 90.56
Ipolito/Jones 85.68

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I have to say.. I think both McNamara/Carpenter & the Parsons could be possible spoilers for an Olympic spot. I still think it's like 98 percent unlikely, but I do not feel any hesitation from either team about being newbie seniors and could see them rising to the occasion if a door opens.

McNamera/Carpenter showed that last season's struggles were temporary. Their trademark speed and sharpness were here in a big way. And yes Lorraine gives major expression. Their FD is full of transitions and difficulty. Well deserved win here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_ymn7uC8JM

The Parsons' skating skills, lifts, dance holds are top notch for not just a new senior team, but I think they could give all but the cream of the crop a run for their money. And I don't know about if it's a sibling hivemind thing, but their twizzles can definitely challenge the Shibs! I was a bit worried that their FD would invite Missing comparisions, but I actually felt it had a different feel from that program -- namely the Parsons have better skating skills than the Duschanseys did back in the day and it felt more like a fun and whimsical program. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvC_KG33QDg

Pogrebinsky/Benoit is clearly playing up the maturity/chemistry/passion in their FD. They weren't completely successful, but I think the dance works for them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp6dMa4DgIQ

Oddly enough these three teams sort of have similarities to the top 3 we have now. Parsons twizzles and basics are good like Shibs (arguably I'd even say they have more power than the Shibs); McNamera/Carpenter strong speed and dramatics is a calling card like Chock/Bates and Pogrebinsky/Benoit clearly playing up chemistry like Hubbell/Donahue.

USFSA has a tough decision on who is going to get that Skam TBD spot (Pogrebinsky/Benoit have 2 spots already, IIRC). I'm hoping one of them (the Parsons, namely) can somehow pick up an extra spot on the sub list.

Last edited:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Watched the videos before looking to see how people placed.
M/C definitely aren't phased by moving up to senior. Had to laugh because at a couple of points I felt like Lorraine was leading and leaving Quinn behind. A good base to start the season with.
Parsons, I love their skating skills and I think this is a program they can grow with over the season.
P/B, I thought that music cut was jarring and not necessary.

Overall, I thought the new seniors came out of the gate strong (of course they are used to the early start to the junior circuit). It is going to be really interesting at Nationals this year!!

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Igor tries so hard make his teams bring the sex in his teams, but it never works.

M/C needs a lot more tango in their dance, but a deserved win and their speed is definitely there. Not sure if it deserved close to 101 though. The Parsons have work to do, but I think it will be great by Nationals.

Not sure what Manta/Johnson and Chris Dean were thinking with that program. They need to scrap the whole concept and think of something else.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think the the Wheaton teams also need major credit for bringing new lifts year-after-year. There is really little motivation to do new ones, yet they do.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to say.. I think both McNamara/Carpenter & the Parsons could be possible spoilers for an Olympic spot. I still think it's like 98 percent unlikely, but I do not feel any hesitation from either team about being newbie seniors and could see them rising to the occasion if a door opens.

McNamera/Carpenter showed that last season's struggles were temporary. Their trademark speed and sharpness were here in a big way. And yes Lorraine gives major expression. Their FD is full of transitions and difficulty. Well deserved win here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_ymn7uC8JM

The Parsons' skating skills, lifts, dance holds are top notch for not just a new senior team, but I think they could give all but the cream of the crop a run for their money. And I don't know about if it's a sibling hivemind thing, but their twizzles can definitely challenge the Shibs! I was a bit worried that their FD would invite Missing comparisions, but I actually felt it had a different feel from that program -- namely the Parsons have better skating skills than the Duschanseys did back in the day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvC_KG33QDg

Pogrebinsky/Benoit is clearly playing up the maturity/chemistry/passion in their FD. They weren't completely successful, but I think the dance works for them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp6dMa4DgIQ

Oddly enough these three teams sort of have similarities to the top 3 we have now...

USFSA has a tough decision on who is going to get that Skam TBD spot (Pogrebinsky/Benoit have 2 spots already, IIRC). I'm hoping one of them (the Parsons, namely) can somehow pick up an extra spot on the sub list.

You are correct in that Pogrebinsky/Benoit have 2 spots. I'm 99.99999999999999999999999% sure the TBD spot for Skate America will either go to McNamara/Carpenter or the Parsons. The top 5 in the seniors in the USA for dance have 2 spots each. So yeah. It's pretty certain it'll between the 2. It's be a win for me either way since I like both teams a lot and I'll be going to Skate America.

I watched the videos posted of the FDs of those two. In the first few seconds, I already like McNamara/Carpenter's FD much more than their FD from last season. They seem much more confident. Those lifts are reminiscent of some top senior teams internationally. Sure the score is lowish, but they're new and it can only go up from there. Great way to start the season given last year's somewhat disappointing season. And I'm glad they can get their struggles behind them. That program definitely looks what most of you call a mature program. I do miss their SD though lol. Lol if only this season was blues/hip hop.

The Parsons, well I think this FD will need a bit of time to grow on me. But they're showing they're going to be threats once the top 3 from the USA retire. The future of ice dance in the USA is in great hands.

Do I think that they're going to score big and get Olympic berths for 2018? I love both teams, but my answer is no. They're definitely going to improve as the season goes on, no question. Olympic spot is a stretch since the top 3 has been clinched since the 2014-2015 season.

For the Skate America spot, it's like having Archie choose between Becky and Veronica (I don't know the comic in its entirety, but I know about this fact lol). Maybe heads or tails or rock paper scissors should do the trick LOL.

keasus

On the Ice
Loved M/C and Parsons free dances. M/C's dance was dark and edgy, almost more of an apache dance than a straight tango, but it works.

Does anyone know the music that Carriera/Ponomorenko danced to in their free dance? The audio was very weak on the video and I couldn't recognize it.

Also, is N. Linichuck still Biechler/Dodge's coach/choreographer?

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Interestingly for me, I think tango works better for m/c than rhumba. Loved that last spinning move at the end. The Parsons twizzles were the best for me.