Zhou working on 'whole' package | Golden Skate

Zhou working on 'whole' package

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ted Flett interviews USA's Vincent Zhou in Colorado Springs, Colo. They discuss training, quads, preparing for the season, his senior debut, and more! Enjoy!

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was revealing!

Biggest takeaway: This is a very intelligent and poised young man. I don't know if I could have done something like this so well at that age.

He presents as thoughtful and mature. Aware of weaknesses and addressing them, while strengthening the good aspects of his skating.

Although... Romeo and Juliette is going to bring comparison - maybe good, maybe bad - to you-know-who.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I agree that Vincent was very thoughtful in his responses and I look forward to seeing his programs and anticipate improvement!

shine

Record Breaker
He's got to be one of the most articulate and thoughtful 16-year-olds I've ever seen! He speaks better at that age than I do now!! I heard both of his parents are very smart, and well, I guess we know where he got this from!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a well-spoken young man! And he seems to have a very carefully, well-thought-out plan for his training. Like the fact that he is not over-training on the quads...Only one suggestion, please conduct interviews in a place where it is quiet! All the background noise was very distracting.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Great interview - he does sound very articulate and mature, and I'm looking forward to seeing his progress this season!

If I'm not mistaken, he will debut his SP today at Skate Detroit?

Just when I was getting used to Nathan Chen, here comes Vincent! I think he will make a splash this season, even as he plans for the long haul.

mrrice

Record Breaker
What a mature young man. He seems very well grounded. I really liked hearing how focused he is the future and at 16, 2022 is really his best chance at an Olympic medal. I look forward to seeing his new SP and I wish him the best of luck in the crowded Men's field.

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
This was revealing!

Biggest takeaway: This is a very intelligent and poised young man. I don't know if I could have done something like this so well at that age.

He presents as thoughtful and mature. Aware of weaknesses and addressing them, while strengthening the good aspects of his skating.

Although... Romeo and Juliette is going to bring comparison - maybe good, maybe bad - to you-know-who.

:rofl2: you-know-who, make me think of Harry Potter. But yes, very true, esp. you-know-who did 2 versions of it in the last 5 years, both programs are master pieces and its very fresh in people's mind. I am looking forward to see how he would rewrite the history of R&J.

He sounds very existing for the debut in senior! It will be an exciting year, the top pack of Jr. man joining the big boys, when everyone is on fire for Olympic year!

jace93

On the Ice
Regarding Vincent he's clearly positioning himself as contender for the top... even though I have to wonder how his planning of a 6 quad free skate goes along with what he said in this interview...

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
Since when Hanyu's name has become a taboo?

Lol, it's not, it's just funny that he become someone so strong, like the highest wall in the man's figure skating world, kind of legendary :laugh2:

I was thinking about Vincent's free program last season, i really like his arms up when he was doing the triple lutz jump, that mades him very elegant, is it because of the entry from the step sequences, or his body line? Not sure, I just really like it in his free program.

He took 2 years off before he come back to figure skating, he might have done a lot of thinking during that time off, he seems very determined in the interview, so I am really looking forward to his coming season. :agree:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since when Hanyu's name has become a taboo?

Don't go looking for offense where none is intended.

At times, I have plenty of controversial opinions; this isn't one of those times.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've just seen both Vincent programs on the Skate Detroit thread.

SP - 4Z-3T, 4F, 3A
LP - 4Z, 4F, 4S-3T, 4T (bailout to 2T), 4S, 3A (fall) 3A-2T, 3Z-1L-3F.

So, if you're wondering whether he really has the jump content, there it is. (I think I got the LP correct). Some of the landings were less than textbook, but they were there.

In all honesty, the components aren't nearly where they will have to be... especially in the first half of the long.

If this were an US Nationals performance, it would be fair to heap criticism on it. But for a small pre-season event? Really astonishing.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow, just saw his SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7om7lzKxSv4 and FS at Skate Detroit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkxmHxEZdlU.

There's a nice lightness and ease to his skating - especially in the SP. He could use some more speed (especially the tail end of his FS, when his StSq is a bit flaily -- not that 5 quad attempts and 2 axels would have anything to do with it!) but I really enjoyed these programs. Love that outside spread eagle to inside spread eagle... as per his interview, his posture is definitely improved. His take on R&J feels like a more of fresh modern take, whereas we've seen the typical classical interpretation time and time again.

Of course, a couple extra vigilant Commenters are salty about pre-rotation (which isn't really that bad for him IMO), but a big ole MEH to them. With both Uno and Zhou to nitpick on, they'll run out of breath soon enough. :laugh: Vincent, just do your thing. ;)

Ender

Match Penalty
I would say Chen and Zhou have 2 spots for the Olympic team already. Hopefully the last one will be Brown.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I would say Chen and Zhou have 2 spots for the Olympic team already. Hopefully the last one will be Brown.

I am still on the fence when it comes to Vincent. As nice as his jumps may be, I'm not ready to see Adam, Max, Joshua, or any other Mature Man stay home for a jumper. If they hope to challenge Hanyu, Javi, Shoma, Jin, or Patrick, they will need to do more than just land jumps. It's still too early for me decide how I feel about Vincent. Speaking of Vincent...Doesn't he train with Ricki Dornbush? Is Richard still planning to come back this season?

I am still on the fence when it comes to Vincent. As nice as his jumps may be, I'm not ready to see Adam, Max, Joshua, or any other Mature Man stay home for a jumper. If they hope to challenge Hanyu, Javi, Shoma, Jin, or Patrick, they will need to do more than just land jumps....

I think the opposite point can be made also. Hanyu, Uno and Jin (and maybe some others) will bring 4 quads in the free, including a Lutz, flip or loop. Any American who wants to challenge for the podium will have to bring the firepower, too.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think the opposite point can be made also. Hanyu, Uno and Jin (and maybe some others) will bring 4 quads in the free, including a Lutz, flip or loop. Any American who wants to challenge for the podium will have to bring the firepower, too.

Vincent will have to make the team first. Assuming that Nathan repeats, we still have a deep field of talent and it's too soon for me to say that Vincent is a lock to make the team. If Jason stays on his feat, even with 3 quads, I would send him over a 5 quad Vincent, if Vincent doesn't improve from a performance standpoint. I still haven't seen Joshua Farris but, we all know what he is capable of and he is a favorite internationally. I still have eggs in Max Arron's basket and I really think he'll be back with a vengeance this season. Too soon to hand any skater a ticket to the games at this point.