Russian test skates 2017-2018 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Russian test skates 2017-2018

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Anyway, I'm still thinking about going to Sochi in September to Open Skates. The advantage is that it will take place on weekend, when I won't work, but the minus is the company or the lack of it, as I don't have anyone interested in FS as me, and that I have to start looking for places to stay at now..

There are many hotels, big and small near Olympic Park. I would think that a night in a small hotel would cost $50, 4 star Imeretinsky $100, and Radisson $200.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
If any of you go we look forward to on site reports!

I am hoping Pogo has a strong showing and has moved on from Worlds. She is my favorite skater.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Can I ask a question? All those ladies who performed at last year's Russian nationals and placed in the 9th - to- 17th- place range..... where'd they all go?!? It's like, u have 1 shot to place well at the senior nationals and if u don't, no junior Grand Prix assignment for u next year.

hanca

Record Breaker
Can I ask a question? All those ladies who performed at last year's Russian nationals and placed in the 9th - to- 17th- place range..... where'd they all go?!? It's like, u have 1 shot to place well at the senior nationals and if u don't, no junior Grand Prix assignment for u next year.

That's not true. Russia has junior nationals, then junior B nationals a few months later, and also novice nationals (older novice and younger novice), plus they have also Russian cup final. Based on all those competitions they decide who they put on the national team and whom they invite to test skates. But it is definitely not one shot. Zagitova placed 9th at the nationals prior to her debut at JGP, but she still was invited to test skates and based on test skates she got JGP event, then because she placed well she got the second one... Similarity, Gubanova ended 12th at the junior nationals and yet the next season she got JGP events. Konstantinova was not great either at the nationals prior to her JGP - she was 8th.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
That's not true. Russia has junior nationals, then junior B nationals a few months later, and also novice nationals (older novice and younger novice), plus they have also Russian cup final. Based on all those competitions they decide who they put on the national team and whom they invite to test skates. But it is definitely not one shot. Zagitova placed 9th at the nationals prior to her debut at JGP, but she still was invited to test skates and based on test skates she got JGP event, then because she placed well she got the second one... Similarity, Gubanova ended 12th at the junior nationals and yet the next season she got JGP events. Konstantinova was not great either at the nationals prior to her JGP - she was 8th.

Wait, what?? Russia has a junior A and a junior B nationals AND a Russian cup final?? Wow! I had no idea! That's actually pretty cool. Then it's probably no wonder these Russian girls can be so consistent, they have so many more chances to compete in competition and deal with the nerves.
I feel kinda ignorant 😕

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am curious about the second/third tier skaters - Yulia and Adelina - are they healed and are they ready? How are their jumps? Programs?

Ender

Match Penalty
I am curious about the second/third tier skaters - Yulia and Adelina - are they healed and are they ready? How are their jumps? Programs?
You honestly expect them to come back at their current condition?

hanca

Record Breaker
Wait, what?? Russia has a junior A and a junior B nationals AND a Russian cup final?? Wow! I had no idea! That's actually pretty cool. Then it's probably no wonder these Russian girls can be so consistent, they have so many more chances to compete in competition and deal with the nerves.
I feel kinda ignorant 😕
They don't call it A and B nationals. They have the 'normal' junior nationals, and then they have another nationals that are for skaters who are of junior age. They call it elder age nationals. (Younger age nationals are comparable to novice, elder age are junior age, but it is not the main junior nationals). On those second nationals you usually see weaker skaters, there is no point doing those second nationals if you place decently in the first nationals. I noticed one needs to medal on those second nationals to count as some 'decent' result. But it does give skaters second chance if they messed up at normal nationals. And the elder age nationals are in April, which is just four months from the test skates, so it gives them idea who from the less known skaters is worth watching.

Russian cup events are used to qualify for the nationals, but then there is Russian cup final where the best skaters from Russian cups are invited. Results from Russian cup final are also counted to decide who will get into the team next season (or at least who would be invited to test skates).

hanca

Record Breaker
To give you an example, last season Tarakanova had a bit unfortunate nationals. She placed 14th at the junior nationals. So she also competed at the older age nationals which she won, and at the older novice nationals which she also won. I bet she will be on the team, despite her 14th place at the junior nationals.

Country
Russia
I feel kinda ignorant 😕
Russia has:
1. Nationals (i.e. Senior Nationals) qualifying for Euro, Worlds, Olympics.
2. Junior Nationals qualifying for JrWorlds.
3. Final of Russian Cup, Senior and Junior. Senior part is sometimes "extra qulifiers" for Worlds.
4. Novice Nationals (Zhuk Memorial, Nationals Younger Age).
5. Nationals Elder Age (2 years younger than International Juniors, i.e. about 11-17 years olf for singles, Junior program).

All five - to make National Team (internatiolal results at Junior and Senior level - JGP, GP, championships - are also treated).

4 and 5 - for Junior Grand Prix Events team of next season (results of 1-3 are also treated). Of course, only for skaters who are age eligible to Junior Grand Prix.

Country
Russia
Today - test skates for Junior Men and Ladies, SP. Tomorrow - FS.

Panenkova, Gulyakova, Nugumanova wrote at ask.fm that they skated good.
Erokhov - only one word "Clean".

Addition.
Stanislava Konstantinova - very good, huge progress from past season (one minor mistake, not at jumping element).

Kolyada also skated while he is not Junior, very good.

No Kurakova at test skate.

Addition 2

Eteri's girls (i.e. Panenkova, Tarakanova, Trusova) are fine.
It Trusova is fine her chance to win 1st JGP Event is about Radionova's at 2012 (when she won 1st Event and had score 28 points higher than 2nd place).

Kara

Final Flight
Today - test skates for Junior Men and Ladies, SP. Tomorrow - FS.

Panenkova, Gulyakova, Nugumanova wrote at ask.fm that they skated good.
Erokhov - only one word "Clean".

Addition.
Stanislava Konstantinova - very good, huge progress from past season (one minor mistake, not at jumping element).

Kolyada also skated while he is not Junior, very good.

No Kurakova at test skate.

Addition 2

Eteri's girls (i.e. Panenkova, Tarakanova, Trusova) are fine.
It Trusova is fine her chance to win 1st JGP Event is about Radionova's at 2012 (when she won 1st Event and had score 28 points higher than 2nd place).

Seems like almost everyone had a good SP.:) Any word on Gubanova?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Please keep us updated on this event. There are so many senior ladies I'd like to hear about and I can hardly wait to see if Tuk can make a comeback and get herself on the Olympic Team.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I saw some photos from the junior test skates and wanted to ask - is Diana Davis skating for Russia again?

LRK

Record Breaker
Please keep us updated on this event. There are so many senior ladies I'd like to hear about and I can hardly wait to see if Tuk can make a comeback and get herself on the Olympic Team.

The senior test skates are in September, mrrice. Luckily those are open to the public, so we can expect videos. :)