Suggest repeat programs for the Olympics | Golden Skate

Suggest repeat programs for the Olympics

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Let's say there is a choreographers' strike this season and skaters have to choose from their old programs to compete at the Olympics.

Which programs would you suggest for those you're interested in?

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'd love to see Patrick go back to his take five SP. I loved that program so much and he was so good at it!!!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'd love to see Patrick go back to his take five SP. I loved that program so much and he was so good at it!!!

Take 5 + Journey or Chopin

or

Elegy + Aranjuez

or

Beatles + Chopin or Aranjuez

of course Esqualo as a Sp could be used with minor tweaks as it were already the right length and contained 3 jumping passes, a step sequence and two spins...

So in light of that...

Esqualo + Chopin

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I would like to see the TES arguments for the suggested programs, especially for the Men, since the bar has been raised substantially, some would say unrecognizably, in this quadrennial. What jumps would you advocate in your favorite older programs to match the skaters' current or aspired skill levels. After all, we're talking about the Olympics.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
V/M - 2012-13 Carmen free dance

I usually hate Carmen programs, not that one. :love:

Actually, they should've reused it in Sochi... *grumble grumble*

andromache

Record Breaker
I'd want to see skaters self-choreograph. Top skaters have enough experience working with choreographers for shows and competitions - they have some idea of what it takes. It would be fascinating to see what they come up with. I doubt any of them would have choreography as good as if a professional did it, but we as fans could have an entirely new realm in which to decide who is or isn't truly "artistic." Who is the best at carrying out and expressing their own artistic vision, rather than following someone else's instructions? Which professional choreographers do they seem most influenced by? Do they use out-of-the-box music choices that seem best to express an individualistic vision, or play it safe with the warhorses they've heard all their lives?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'd want to see skaters self-choreograph. Top skaters have enough experience working with choreographers for shows and competitions - they have some idea of what it takes. It would be fascinating to see what they come up with. I doubt any of them would have choreography as good as if a professional did it, but we as fans could have an entirely new realm in which to decide who is or isn't truly "artistic." Who is the best at carrying out and expressing their own artistic vision, rather than following someone else's instructions? Which professional choreographers do they seem most influenced by? Do they use out-of-the-box music choices that seem best to express an individualistic vision, or play it safe with the warhorses they've heard all their lives?

I wanted to ask who'd choreograph their own programs. But it's too much to require all of them to do so, especially for the Olympics. It's a very different set of talents which also take time to develop.

andromache

Record Breaker
I wanted to ask who'd choreograph their own programs. But it's too much to require all of them to do so, especially for the Olympics. It's a very different set of talents which also take time to develop.

But if they've ALL doing it, they're all (sort of) on the same level.

Like I said, they might not be good, but we would be able to compare apples to apples, self-choreography to self-choreography. From a competitive standpoint, it would be perfectly fair.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Like I said, they might not be good, but we would be able to compare apples to apples, self-choreography to self-choreography. From a competitive standpoint, it would be perfectly fair.

So it would be fair to ask all of them to design and make their own costumes? Sharpen their blades?

Neenah16

On the Ice

Sorry, I can't think of a single instance where this would be a fair competition.

andromache

Record Breaker
So it would be fair to ask all of them to design and make their own costumes? Sharpen their blades?

We're talking about a made-up hypothetical what-if scenario. I'm sorry I'm trying to have fun with it and imagine the possibilities.

(Since costumes and/or blade sharpness are not judged as part of a figure skating competition, your counter-examples are false equivalences. But yes, if all blade sharpeners went on strike, I imagine the skaters would have to do it themselves.)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It'd be pretty cool to see V/M rework their Pink Floyd program from 2008-09.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
I really wanted Shoma to reuse his Legends SP. I loved that it was edgy and far different than his classical LP.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Nonononono no way.... otherwise Katerina Witt should come back to every Olympics and just do Carmen.

Completely hopeless technically but deserving the highest PCS in the field... since apparently repeated programs should have no bearings on PCS. She might even need her own category beyond 10. Let's make it 20, given inflation side of things. Heck, she might even win the whole competition this way.