Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Season recap: Best specific performances

4 Not allowed!
    I have a huge soft spot for Elladj Balde who skated at the Rostelecom competition last season in November. I believe he was born in Russia so it was emotional for him to skate there. His SP and FS:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=528wIWOJMQ4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EIAVbdThjpg

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset skylark's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclair View Post
    artsciboy I previously had Ashley Wagner's best LP performance at Nationals in the first post of this thread. What is your take on this? Personally, I find it very hard to single out THE best LP performance of her.
    I thought at US Nats Ashley was a tiny bit more on the music and her opening jumps looked more secure than at WTT. On the other hand at Nats her opening triple-triple combo seemed to may be UR (though of course not called) while at WTT it seemed to be OK, also at WTT she didn't pop the double toe into a single toe in the second half of the program.

All in all, I personally prefer her Nats LP as I feel the performance artistically was a little bit more on point with the music and it was more emotional, but I definitely appreciate that the WTT video had no commentary!
    As a matter of fact, Ashley's 3F-3T was called UR at Nationals. So there's no "of course" about it.

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skylark View Post
    As a matter of fact, Ashley's 3F-3T was called UR at Nationals. So there's no "of course" about it.
    You're right. I remembered that her 3-3 looked UR, and naturally assumed that it wasn't called at nationals, but here you go. Good for them!

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset skylark's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclair View Post
    You're right. I remembered that her 3-3 looked UR, and naturally assumed that it wasn't called at nationals, but here you go. Good for them
    That's debatable. Karen Chen's 3L-3T was more UR than Ashley's 3F-3T, looking at slo-mo on each. Karen's wasn't called; Ashley's was. Other people, including some commentators, agree with me on this. Like a famous critic said of the scoring system when its implementation was being argued ... it gives far too much power to one individual, who is just as susceptible to human error on occasion as the rest of us.

I'm a thrilled fan of Karen Chen, btw, especially her performances at Nats & Worlds.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3