Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Eurosport Updates

1 Not allowed!

Go Ad-Free! Become a GS Supporter! Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    My next payment is due on 24th August, but I am going on holidays at the start of September. So, since I won't be using it while away, I am intending on cancelling my £5 per month Annual Pass before 24th August, and then signing up for the £30 Annual Pass when I come home.

So, could somebody who has previously cancelled their subscription and signed up again let me know if I am able to do this? Or, do you have to go back onto the same package that you were on?

And do you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can sign up again? Because, if you have to wait a month before signing up again, that could be a problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

CaroLiza_fan
    Like Winnie, I don't see why you shouldn' be able to. They should be thankful for every subscriber, I also did monthly subscriptions with breaks in between in the past. They just sent me a mail with new terms of service. (Who reads those?) The player is certainly improved. Still not really HD for me but at least not lagging. Watched a cycling race, the Arctic Race of Norway a few days ago and that worked nicely. I'm looking forward to the season's start...any news if Nebelhorn will be broadcasted?

Even if they don't broadcast every GP event the ISU channel is usually there, so I wouldn't worry too much about missing out. It's the Olympic Season and I'm sure they'll want to hype the "Road to the Olympics" as they have the rights.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lyverbird1 View Post
    Phew! Thanks for the update - when I saw the thread title, I thought there was another Damoclean sword dangling over Eurosport like the Discovery Channel package thing last season but relieved to know that it's about improvements. YAY!!!!
    I wouldn't be getting too excited.

OK, so we are now 2 days into the first snooker tournament since the revamp. And you know how I was saying that there are 2 changes I don't like. Well, they are proving to be an absolute curse!

Only being able to wind back 5 minutes on the ESP1 and ESP2 is a major problem.

Since getting Eurosport Player, I have gotten into the habit of watching the TV table and the computer table in side-by-side windows. It used to be that I could delay the start of the matches, or break away to do longish things, and then be caught up by the time it finished by winding through the ads on the TV table, and through the interval on the computer table.

But now, I can't even afford to do small things during the adverts, in case it takes too long, because I don't have the same leeway that I used to.

I didn't actually realise there was snooker this week, because this tournament has a weird schedule (the venue was double-booked, so the snooker had to start later in the week than usual. And I didn't spot it in the TV guide). And I only found it by accident 1h 15m into the second session.

Although I wasn't able to wind back the TV table, I was able to with the computer table. I knew what time each session started, but the lack of the counter on the livestreams meant that it took ages to find the point I was looking for.

Surely it wouldn't be any bother to put a clock back onto the livestreams. It would make them an awful lot easier to use.

So, although the new Player is a lot easier to use, and things not shown on the linear channels are now being archived, these two things are making it a LOT more frustrating than it was before.

Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    Like Winnie, I don't see why you shouldn' be able to. They should be thankful for every subscriber, I also did monthly supscriptions with breaks in between in the past. They just sent me a mail with new terms of service. (Who reads those?) The player is certainly improved. Still not really HD for me but at least not lagging. Watched a cycling race, the Arctic Race of Norway a few days ago and that worked nicely. I'm looking forward to the season's start...any news if Nebelhorn will be broadcasted?

Even if they don't broadcast every GP event the ISU channel is usually there, so I wouldn't worry too much about missing out. It's the Olympic Season and I'm sure they'll want to hype the "Road to the Olympics" as they have the rights.
    Right. I'm going to cancel it on Tuesday night, once the current snooker tournament is over and I am caught up on everything I want to watch. There is another snooker tournament starting on Wednesday (in Germany), and the British MotoGP is next weekend, but I really want to get it cancelled before I get charged for a month that I would only be able to use half of.

I haven't heard anything about the Nebelhorn, but Eurosport definitely showed it the last time it acted as the Olympic Qualifying Event in 2013.

For example, here's Miki Ando's SP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acU7BF9Jreo

So, now that they are the Official Olympic Broadcaster, I can't see why they wouldn't be showing it this time too.

Oh, wait. I forgot. It's Eurosport we're talking about!

CaroLiza_fan

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I know they showed it last time before the Olympics so I thought they might this time time as well.

Perhaps they are still testing some features, like the rewind thing? I could imagine them tweaking it a bit, still. But then the olds player remained unchanged for such a long time, who knows.

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    I have no memory of ever watching the Nebelhorn trophy on TV, that would be terrific. Guess we'll have to keep our eyes and ears open for news.
    Good luck with the subscription, CaroLiza_fan!

0 Not allowed!
    Nebelhorn Trophy is also sometimes shown on BR, the Bavarian channel of ARD. As Savchenko/Massot are going to be there and were going to see their Olympic programs I'm sure it'll be filmed one way or another.

Medalist

1 Not allowed!

Go Ad-Free! Become a GS Supporter! Thank you
    The issue with the player was less the lack of live coverage, but the actual lack of on demand content. While they store content, they only did so from ES 1 and ES 2 and this not in HD. All the extra channels, were no longer saved.

This is something that was once different, I remember coming home from a tennis event and I could re-watch it all.

If they do not offer on demand for the Olympics, then it will be quite some disaster, as nobody can watch it all at the same time.

The new layout does not suit me much, though. It´s less good than the old, at least for my liking. In the old, you got a list of all live channels and you just clicked on your desired broadcast. Now, all I see are huge pictures of snooker tables It´s as if they turned the well designed old player into an app player for smartphones I use the player on my laptop though or the PC, so for me clicking through all those pictures is a bit of a nightmare.

Edit:

Figure skating (Olympics) is shown at the player, each competition in full length. This is from an internal source, so take it with caution. Also to add is the following.

In future, ES wants to have seasonal passes, like for football, cycling ... That means, you can buy access to those events, but won´t be able to see any other, that you did not pay for. They will still support monthly and yearly passes, but if those will just be the basic ES 1 + ES 2 remains to be seen. It could very well be, that the Olympics will require an extra pass, but this is pure speculation from my side.

Anyways, all will be shown at the player, but it might be more expensive, than the six bucks we currently pay each month.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2