Eurosport Updates | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Eurosport Updates

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Watch out for the Ladies FS everyone, it's scheduled TV wise for 1 p.m. Eurosport UK and 2 p.m. CET. However the actual competition starts at 12.20/13.20 and looks like they'll cut to it once the live luge before it (12 p.m. to 1 p.m.) finishes. Don't think they've ever shown anything 'as live' but delayed before (I stand to be corrected), hence it's likely we'll miss the first few skaters of group 1. However also be aware they've sometimes cut to something early once the live sport preceding it has finished. Hence something to be aware of if recording/planning to switch on the telly at 1 p.m./2 p.m.

Yeah, I had noticed the time discrepency.

Eurosport have been known to show things in whole with a delay in the past. For example, I remember it happening with an Alpine Skiing race either last season or the season before. British Eurosport was showing something different to Eurosport International beforehand, and the programme on BES finished about 15 minutes into the race. So, BES showed the broadcast in it's entirity with a 15 delay. Which worked out well.

But, the last time they did the same with figure skating, there was uproar on here.

Eurosport were trying to join in time for the start of the group before a resurfacing. But, the programme before it over-ran by a few minutes. And when they joined, the first skater had already started. So, they wound it back to the start of the routine so that we could see the routine in it's entirity rather than joining about a minute into the routine. Which made sense to me. But, other members were absolutely outraged. Probably because they had the livescoring page open as well, and were angry that the scores were coming up there before the skater came off the ice.

So, a couple of skaters later, they cut out the highlights to get us caught up again. And I was thinking "come on, there's a resurfacing coming up. You could have waited and caught up then".

You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Personally, I would be more than happy if British Eurosport showed the Ladies FS delayed. If you look at the Coloured Time Schedule, there is a 25 minute gap between the end of the Ladies FS and the start of the Free Dance. So, if British Eurosport edited out the warm-ups, I reckon they could fit everybody into that hour-and-a-half between the Luge and the Free Dance.

We can but hope.

CaroLiza_fan

ReasonOFF

On the Ice
is there any information about showing JGPF like in the last year? nbc didn't show it and i doubt about olympic channel. i know about youtube channel with livestreams but still that was cool when it was showing on british eurosport

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
is there any information about showing JGPF like in the last year? nbc didn't show it and i doubt about olympic channel. i know about youtube channel with livestreams but still that was cool when it was showing on british eurosport

If I remember correctly, the Junior GP YouTube channel doesn't normally show the Final, because the whole of the GP Final is treated as one event as far as the broadcast contracts are concerned.

Which is highly unfair if the broadcaster that has the rights in your country is only interested in showing the Senior competitions.

So, fingers crossed that Eurosport are interested this time.

I would love it if the contracts allowed Ted's channel to broadcast the Junior GP Final. After all, he has been broadcasting the rest of the series. And because of this, he is familiar with all the skaters and can tell us things that the commentators that normally just cover Senior events can't.

Oh well!

CaroLiza_fan

Miller

Final Flight

It's unlikely to be shown live due to time zone differences - GPF is in Japan unlike last year when it was Marseille. Livestream is possible as are highlights but it'd be asking an awful lot of the commentators - last year they split up the duties. Highlights of winners/medallists between senior events are hopefully quite possible though, we'll just have to wait and see.

kurama45

Rinkside
If I remember correctly, the Junior GP YouTube channel doesn't normally show the Final, because the whole of the GP Final is treated as one event as far as the broadcast contracts are concerned.

Which is highly unfair if the broadcaster that has the rights in your country is only interested in showing the Senior competitions.

So, fingers crossed that Eurosport are interested this time.

I would love it if the contracts allowed Ted's channel to broadcast the Junior GP Final. After all, he has been broadcasting the rest of the series. And because of this, he is familiar with all the skaters and can tell us things that the commentators that normally just cover Senior events can't.

Oh well!

CaroLiza_fan

At the very end of JGP series Ted said thay will be broadcasting JGPF on youtube as well. :yahoo:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
At the very end of JGP series Ted said thay will be broadcasting JGPF on youtube as well. :yahoo:

Ah, good! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2:

I didn't see much of the Junior GP Series this season, so I didn't realise. :slink:

Thank you for letting us know. :bow: :clap: :points:

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

honeygirl

Rinkside
Probably worst yet of the Grand Prix series so far of figure skating coverage coming up of Skate America on Eurosport UK

Miller

Final Flight
Probably worst yet of the Grand Prix series so far of figure skating coverage coming up of Skate America on Eurosport UK

Yes, just ladies free Sunday evening, plus men's free highlights Sunday teatime and pairs free after ladies.

Miller

Final Flight
Grand Prix Final. Dear me. It's on Thursday, Friday, Saturday by the way, all competitions evening time Japan Time.

Thursday morning looking OK. Pairs, Mens, Dance Short all live. However Friday highlights only late evening, very late evening, of Ladies Short and Men's Free. There's live skiing and biathlon in the morning, fair enough, whatever floats your boat. But on the other side it's ski jumping qualifying, qualifying which as far as I know only serves to give the top contenders a bit of a run out, see where they're at, (bit like skiing practice runs) and eliminate a few of the no-hopers. Starting order doesn't even matter these days, they've got all sorts of adjustments for wind speeds, starting gates etc., plus the 2nd run is in reverse order anyway. Just shows where figure skating fits in in their overall scheme of things. Hopefully better luck for Saturday, but wouldn't count on it, plus they're not likely to drop live sport even if it is only qualifying.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Grand Prix Final. Dear me. It's on Thursday, Friday, Saturday by the way, all competitions evening time Japan Time.

Thursday morning looking OK. Pairs, Mens, Dance Short all live. However Friday highlights only late evening, very late evening, of Ladies Short and Men's Free. There's live skiing and biathlon in the morning, fair enough, whatever floats your boat. But on the other side it's ski jumping qualifying, qualifying which as far as I know only serves to give the top contenders a bit of a run out, see where they're at, (bit like skiing practice runs) and eliminate a few of the no-hopers. Starting order doesn't even matter these days, they've got all sorts of adjustments for wind speeds, starting gates etc., plus the 2nd run is in reverse order anyway. Just shows where figure skating fits in in their overall scheme of things. Hopefully better luck for Saturday, but wouldn't count on it, plus they're not likely to drop live sport even if it is only qualifying.

Re: the ski jumping qualifying.

Yes, the primary aim of the qualifying is to get rid of the "no-hopers" (as you put it), and cut the field down to the 50 places available for the first round of the competition.

BUT, qualifying does matter more this season, because they have changed the rules.

Up to this season, the Top 10 in the overall World Cup standings didn't need to go through qualifying to get into the competition. They were rewarded for being in the Top 10 by being pre-qualified. Although some of the Top 10 sat qualifying out, most took the opportunity to do another practice jump anyway.

Now this protection has been removed. EVERYBODY needs to go through qualifying. And NOBODY can be complacent.

I've been watching ski jumping for many years (it is actually longer than I've been watching figure skating), and it is so rare to have a qualifying session where all of the jumpers in the Top 10 in the World Cup standings manage to put in a jump that would have put them into the competition. In fact, I have seen many qualifying sessions where at least 1 of the Top 3 in the World Cup standings would not have got through to the competition.

So, now that the Top 10 are not pre-qualified, it has made the qualifying session far more significant.

Also, in the RAW AIR tournée that was introduced last season, the points from qualifying jumps do count towards the final score. But, this season's edition isn't until March (starts during Junior Worlds, but finishes the day before Senior Worlds starts).

And in the prestigious Four Hills tournée, the first round of the competition has a knockout format where qualifier 1 takes on qualifier 50; qualifier 2 takes on qualifier 49; and so on until qualifier 25 takes on qualifier 26. So, where you qualify makes a big difference to your chances of getting through to the final round of the competition. But, it is always at the turn of the year period, so doesn't overlap with any of the figure skating that Eurosport shows.

So, in short, qualifying matters a lot in ski jumping.

CaroLiza_fan

Miller

Final Flight
So, in short, qualifying matters a lot in ski jumping.

You would have thought the final of the Grand Prix would count for a lot more than the qualifying part of a ski-jumping competition though, even if at World Cup level, plus the skating highlights are so late in the day, while they're also repeating highlights of the ski-jumping part way through the day as well.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
You would have thought the final of the Grand Prix would count for a lot more than the qualifying part of a ski-jumping competition though, even if at World Cup level, plus the skating highlights are so late in the day, while they're also repeating highlights of the ski-jumping part way through the day as well.

Good point. And in this case, I do agree.

But, as we have seen numerous times over the years, Eurosport has a pecking order. And although Eurosport has been showing both sports for well over 2 decades, figure skating is further down that pecking order than most ski sports.

Which is why they need more channels! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Miller

Final Flight
Good point. And in this case, I do agree.

But, as we have seen numerous times over the years, Eurosport has a pecking order. And although Eurosport has been showing both sports for well over 2 decades, figure skating is further down that pecking order than most ski sports.

Which is why they need more channels! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Absolutely! :thumbsup:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I'm so meh about Eurosport and their TV scheduling now, if there's a livestream (without commentary), I'm good.
They've been awfully good about the livestreams, actually. Aside from a few tiny weird mistakes (like putting one of the Galas under the header of the Ice Dance FD), it's been all good. Far as I know, they've shown everything and made it all available in the archives, too. Certainly already been worth the 30 euros I paid earlier this year. :thumbsup:
Makes me hopeful for the Olympic season. Now I can only hope that there'll be some skaters left who haven't killed their legs or back yet by the time February comes along...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm so meh about Eurosport and their TV scheduling now, if there's a livestream (without commentary), I'm good.
They've been awfully good about the livestreams, actually. Aside from a few tiny weird mistakes (like putting one of the Galas under the header of the Ice Dance FD), it's been all good. Far as I know, they've shown everything and made it all available in the archives, too. Certainly already been worth the 30 euros I paid earlier this year. :thumbsup:

But, that's the whole problem for Skate America. According to the schedules, Eurosport aren't putting everything on livestreams this time.

I waited until yesterday to see if the listings improved, but when they didn't I posted the main versions so that I wasn't doing everything on the day it started. But, I'm going go through them and all the other versions now to see if there have been any changes overnight.

Fingers crossed that there has!

CaroLiza_fan

Miller

Final Flight
But, that's the whole problem for Skate America. According to the schedules, Eurosport aren't putting everything on livestreams this time.

I waited until yesterday to see if the listings improved, but when they didn't I posted the main versions so that I wasn't doing everything on the day it started. But, I'm going go through them and all the other versions now to see if there have been any changes overnight.

Fingers crossed that there has!

CaroLiza_fan

Looked like there was a problem with one of the pairs programs or something, plus seemed to be a stream changing half way through. However I'm in agreement with Winnie_20, the Player which I've been watching has worked out pretty well, and I haven't missed the commentary nowhere near as much as I thought I would - I've been watching the archived versions 'as live' and so can skip run warm up groups and so on.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
While I was uploading the spreadsheet for the Nationals Predictions Game scores there now, I took the opportunity to also upload the spreadsheet I made out listing the sports categories on Eurosprot Player:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C5YqFW5fFOs_xi_bYvRWD2Sm7TujuCyAdmCNeZvCpZA/edit?usp=sharing

Now, I should add that the original intention was to make out a fuller table to replace the table in the Original Post of this thread, which was just a list of the sports which had buttons on the Eurosport Player. But, I soon found that there were a lot more sports categories than I could have imagined! Put it like this – when I finished the original version of the table in Word, it was 18 A4 pages long! So, that is why it was subsequently copied into a spreadsheet.

The curious thing is that a lot of the categories listed are for sports that Eurosport either has not currently got the rights to, or has never had the rights to.

Is this a sign that the new owners have big ambitions for Eurosport? (They would need to launch a whole lot of extra linear channels if they were planning on showing coverage of even a tenth of the sports listed!)

Also, there are lots of sports included that I had never even heard tell of before:

• Cesta Punta?
  • Faustball?
  • Korfball?
  • Tchoukball?

And I would never have known that these were classed as sports:

• Chess
  • Backgammon
  • Rock Paper Scissors
  • Domino
  • Circus

Then there are the ones that I think they just made up to see if anybody was paying attention!

• Chess Boxing (Chess?! Boxing?! Can you imagine 2 more different stable mates?!)
  • Double Dutch (I speak plenty of it, but a sport?!)

It was a very interesting and enlightening exercise.

Hope you find it useful.

CaroLiza_fan

Miller

Final Flight
While I was uploading the spreadsheet for the Nationals Predictions Game scores there now, I took the opportunity to also upload the spreadsheet I made out listing the sports categories on Eurosprot Player:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C5YqFW5fFOs_xi_bYvRWD2Sm7TujuCyAdmCNeZvCpZA/edit?usp=sharing

Now, I should add that the original intention was to make out a fuller table to replace the table in the Original Post of this thread, which was just a list of the sports which had buttons on the Eurosport Player. But, I soon found that there were a lot more sports categories than I could have imagined! Put it like this – when I finished the original version of the table in Word, it was 18 A4 pages long! So, that is why it was subsequently copied into a spreadsheet.

The curious thing is that a lot of the categories listed are for sports that Eurosport either has not currently got the rights to, or has never had the rights to.

Is this a sign that the new owners have big ambitions for Eurosport? (They would need to launch a whole lot of extra linear channels if they were planning on showing coverage of even a tenth of the sports listed!)

Also, there are lots of sports included that I had never even heard tell of before:

• Cesta Punta?
  • Faustball?
  • Korfball?
  • Tchoukball?

And I would never have known that these were classed as sports:

• Chess
  • Backgammon
  • Rock Paper Scissors
  • Domino
  • Circus

Then there are the ones that I think they just made up to see if anybody was paying attention!

• Chess Boxing (Chess?! Boxing?! Can you imagine 2 more different stable mates?!)
  • Double Dutch (I speak plenty of it, but a sport?!)

It was a very interesting and enlightening exercise.

Hope you find it useful.

CaroLiza_fan

Must have been a quiet day in the office - wish they'd put that much effort into figure skating scheduling!

Seriously, wonder what the missing gaps were, they must have been really obscure. However chess boxing, did you know that Lennox Lewis and both Klitschko brothers were pretty good chess players. Wouldn't want to play any of them at 'chess boxing'.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/che-playing-boxer-klitschko-retains-heavyweight-title

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Must have been a quiet day in the office - wish they'd put that much effort into figure skating scheduling!

Indeed!

Seriously, wonder what the missing gaps were, they must have been really obscure.

That just reminded me, I should have put a note in of some sort to say that numbers 1 to 7 take you to the normal daily schedule listings.

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Especially when there were a group of empty pages. Were the gaps left there for future use, or are they leftover from pages that have been removed?

You know, there were quite a few times when there were a few empty pages that I thought that the list was finished, only for another sport to suddenly appear when I carried on a few more numbers.

And I know that a few of the motorsports championships in the list no longer exist or else have merged with another championship in the list. For example, the LG Super Racing Weekend (#224) was the branding used during the early 2000's for the World Touring Car Championship (#265) and it's support races. One of those support championships, the International Formula Master (#300), folded in 2009.

The A1 Grand Prix series (#285) also folded in 2009. The Superleague Formula (#320) folded in 2011.

Formula 3000 (#26) became GP2 (#269) in 2005, and then became FIA Formula 2 in 2017. But, Jonathan Palmer also had a championship called FIA Formula 2 from 2009 to 2012. So, which Formula 2 is #323 and which is #334?

And next year the Eurosport-promoted World Touring Car Championship (#265) merges with the more successful breakaway Touring Car Racing series (#430). So, which of these numbers will the races be filed under? Or, will the combined championship have a new number? Or, will the races just be filed under Touring Car (#58)?

This is becoming too complicated! :drama:

However chess boxing, did you know that Lennox Lewis and both Klitschko brothers were pretty good chess players. Wouldn't want to play any of them at 'chess boxing'.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/che-playing-boxer-klitschko-retains-heavyweight-title

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing

Wow! I am not a fan of boxing, but have a whole new respect for the boxers you mentioned.

Suffice to say, I have been known to play chess (not very well, mind you!) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Well dang. Thank you Australian Open tennis. Went through the schedule up to next Sunday night and all they're offering us for coverage of the Europeans is (non-live) coverage of the pairs' and men's free. No short programmes in any discipline and unless the ladies and dance appear at some point late Sunday or Monday/Tuesday then nothing from them. So, any tips for a live feed would be most welcome!

And, looking a few weeks down the road - anyone have any info on Eurosport's upcoming Olympic coverage? They did get Olympic rights for the first time, didn't they? I'm hoping they can do the skating justice then.