Eurosport Updates | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Eurosport Updates

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I didn't catch anything. And now I have the problem that I cannot go back in the normal channel because they cut everything into categories in the player. Thanks for nothing Eurosport. It's not in the On Demand section either. This confuses me. :scratch2:

The reason is that only LIVE broadcasts on the linear channels go into the On Demand section.*

This really infuriates me because, with the way that the videos on the linear channels are now cut automatically on a timer, if the LIVE event over-runs and there is a repeat programme on after it, the end of the LIVE event is lost.

And, of course, it is infuriating in cases like this where the event is not shown LIVE.

At least the World Feed coverage is archived. But, it still means we don't get to hear the opinions of the commentators.

CaroLiza_fan

*= Sometimes they would make an exception and let a non-LIVE broadcast into the archives if the thing was not broadcast LIVE. But, not often.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
The reason is that only LIVE broadcasts on the linear channels go into the On Demand section.*

This really infuriates me because, with the way that the videos on the linear channels are now cut automatically on a timer, if the LIVE event over-runs and there is a repeat programme on after it, the end of the LIVE event is lost.

And, of course, it is infuriating in cases like this where the event is not shown LIVE.

At least the World Feed coverage is archived. But, it still means we don't get to hear the opinions of the commentators.

CaroLiza_fan

*= Sometimes they would make an exception and let a non-LIVE broadcast into the archives if the thing was not broadcast LIVE. But, not often.
I think I remember it was like this last season. But then last season the old player had Eurosport 2 and I could go back over 3 hours if I missed something. Now it's 30 seconds. Give me something I can hit, box, beat to pulp....:curse::bang::dumb::ddevil:
These smileys are too hapy for what I'm feeling right now. AAAARGH!

aynia

On the Ice

Generating on-demand content automatically is only suitable for sports channels if the schedule is precise and kept up to date. Eurosport is not known to do that. Resulting in incomplete content. :(

I don't really mind having no commentary...

aynia

On the Ice
I think I remember it was like this last season. But then last season the old player had Eurosport 2 and I could go back over 3 hours if I missed something. Now it's 30 seconds. Give me something I can hit, box, beat to pulp....:curse::bang::dumb::ddevil:
These smileys are too hapy for what I'm feeling right now. AAAARGH!

Why not watch it without the commentary and ads? Is there something in particular you wanted the commentators' opinion about? I recorded a part so maybe I can tell you.

Eclair

Medalist
They are, it just takes longer I think. I'm on a free trial with Amazon (honestly, I prefer it through Amazon because then I can watch in HD on my television so easily), but the mens short is here. But I am waiting for Ladies and Ice Dance and if they're not uploaded :drama::drama::drama:

OK, I found the ladies FS with commentary archived in the Amazon prime 'eurosport channel' but none of the live streams were archieved, while it's available in the eurosport player

I can barely believe it myself, but I actually prefer the eurosport player to the eurosport channel. For the first time ever, the eurosport player is more user-friendly than something else.

aynia

On the Ice
OK, I found the ladies FS with commentary archived in the Amazon prime 'eurosport channel' but none of the live streams were archieved, while it's available in the eurosport player

I can barely believe it myself, but I actually prefer the eurosport player to the eurosport channel. For the first time ever, the eurosport player is more user-friendly than something else.

Good to know, thanks.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Why not watch it without the commentary and ads? Is there something in particular you wanted the commentators' opinion about? I recorded a part so maybe I can tell you.

That's alright I just watched the rerun and I don't need more of Sigi. Was he commenting with Hendrik, or alone? I prefer when they comment together. I would like to have heard what they had to say about Nathan Chen and Yuzuru Hanyu. I like to transcribe their comments for fanfests and other forums, so that's why I was a bit disappointed. But well, it is what it is.

aynia

On the Ice
That's alright I just watched the rerun and I don't need more of Sigi. Was he commenting with Hendrik, or alone? I prefer when they comment together. I would like to have heard what they had to say about Nathan Chen and Yuzuru Hanyu. I like to transcribe their comments for fanfests and other forums, so that's why I was a bit disappointed. But well, it is what it is.

The free skate was commented by both. I can write down what they said about Nathan Chen and Yuzuru Hanyu - I hope you don't mind if I do it in German though. Are you interested in the SP as well?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well, after first saying I was going to do it 2 months ago, I have finally cancelled Eurosport Player after having it for 2 full years.

My next payment was due today, so I cancelled it last night.

I got a surprise, though. They actually let you see out your current period of subscription. So, I still have access today. (Which is actually kinda annoying, as today is my Uncle's birthday, and that was how I was remembering when the payment was due. So, when I sign up again, I won't have that luxury of having a significant date).

I had been planning on cancelling it when my August payment was due, but gremlins appeared in the system which were saying that I didn't have a subscription, and hence I couldn't cancel it. And then I forgot to try again when the September payment was due.

But, it's done now.

They ask you why you are cancelling, and give you a few options to select from (I chose "Technical Issues") and a box to give more information. So, I really let rip!

• I gave off about the On Demand videos not being trimmed, and often not including the end of the programme.

• I gave off about only being able to wind back 5 minutes on ESP1 and ESP2 compared to the 3 hours we used to be able to.

• I gave off about things being shoved into livestreaming channels willy-nilly instead of the old dedicated streaming channels, meaning that you can't watch an event in it's entirity on the same streaming channel.

• And I ended with saying that the straw that broke the camel's back was the awful coverage of Skate Canada this week, and that making the World Feed available was the very least I would have expected.

I have no idea if they actually read the comments. But, hopefully they do, and it will start them thinking.

Of course, they don't know that the real reason I was cancelling was so that I could sign up again on a better deal. ;) :biggrin:

Although, if things carry on the way they are, I mightn't bother.

CaroLiza_fan

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
As pointed out by Miller in the GP topic, we may get a lot of coverage of SC, after all.

The livestream is showing in the Player!!!!

Edit: better not take the times too seriously yet, though, some of them are way off! There is NO way that Men’s SP can air in the early hours of October 27 in Europe, after all. That’s a full day too early!

Tutto

Record Breaker
Just watched the highlights of CoR - wow, this is a new low from Eurosport, they don't even show top three LP (for pairs) they give a narrative through the routines and only T/M skate in full. So long as I heard who fell on which jump and what went well it is okay - no need to watch really :sarcasm:
Guys, you are smarter than me, could anyone explain to me if they struggle with slots why do they find possible to repeat the same coverage 5 times (mens LP e.g.) and not to show other events? Is there something I am missing in this logic?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just watched the highlights of CoR - wow, this is a new low from Eurosport, they don't even show top three LP (for pairs) they give a narrative through the routines and only T/M skate in full. So long as I heard who fell on which jump and what went well it is okay - no need to watch really :sarcasm:
Guys, you are smarter than me, could anyone explain to me if they struggle with slots why do they find possible to repeat the same coverage 5 times (mens LP e.g.) and not to show other events? Is there something I am missing in this logic?

The words "Eurosport" and "logic" are incompatible with each other.

I think it is just a case that they can't be bothered getting the commentators to do voiceovers on something if it is not being shown LIVE. So, instead, they repeat the thing that they did show LIVE over and over and over again.

You get the impression that they are doing this to try to save money. This would have made sense when Eurosport was a small (in global terms) French company. But, they are now part of a big American company. And Discovery aren't short of a bob or two (as evidenced by their recent spending spree, buying Scripps Networks Interactive for $14.6 billion).

Maybe the French are finding it hard to change from their old habits...

CaroLiza_fan

Tutto

Record Breaker
The words "Eurosport" and "logic" are incompatible with each other.

I think it is just a case that they can't be bothered getting the commentators to do voiceovers on something if it is not being shown LIVE. So, instead, they repeat the thing that they did show LIVE over and over and over again.

You get the impression that they are doing this to try to save money. This would have made sense when Eurosport was a small (in global terms) French company. But, they are now part of a big American company. And Discovery aren't short of a bob or two (as evidenced by their recent spending spree, buying Scripps Networks Interactive for $14.6 billion).

Maybe the French are finding it hard to change from their old habits...

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks for replying. Interestingly there are videos of Ladies LP in circulation with BESP commentary, that was scheduled for Sunday morning if you remember but then mysteriously 'disappeared'. So BESP guys did commentating and yet the event never was shown to us. Oh dear I guess you are right and logic long gone out of the window. ::shrug:
I am just so disappointed as CoR and NHK are my favourite events as these are so well attended you could feel the buzz of a comp even via TV. And last year CoR was shown live in total... Lets hope for better things to come though I already see that for SC, men & pairs are totally ignored...but ladies & dance all live

Miller

Final Flight
Thanks for replying. Interestingly there are videos of Ladies LP in circulation with BESP commentary, that was scheduled for Sunday morning if you remember but then mysteriously 'disappeared'. So BESP guys did commentating and yet the event never was shown to us. Oh dear I guess you are right and logic long gone out of the window. ::shrug:
I am just so disappointed as CoR and NHK are my favourite events as these are so well attended you could feel the buzz of a comp even via TV. And last year CoR was shown live in total... Lets hope for better things to come though I already see that for SC, men & pairs are totally ignored...but ladies & dance all live

I believe this is something to do with them going out on Eurosport channels on the continent or on Eurosport International - I believe some of them did show the ladies LP live. It is really annoying that you don't get them shown on Eurosport UK or put on the UK version of the player (is there a Eurosport.com version of this that is accessible?) as they have the rights, but just don't show them, whereas it would be great to hear Simon, Chris, Mark etc.'s commentary.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I believe this is something to do with them going out on Eurosport channels on the continent or on Eurosport International - I believe some of them did show the ladies LP live. It is really annoying that you don't get them shown on Eurosport UK or put on the UK version of the player (is there a Eurosport.com version of this that is accessible?) as they have the rights, but just don't show them, whereas it would be great to hear Simon, Chris, Mark etc.'s commentary.

Yeah, as I pointed out when Winnie was complaining about the repeat of the Men's FS having no commentary at all, Eurosport do have all the commentators doing their language's voiceover for the events being shown LIVE on ESP Intl regardless of whether their own national Eurosport is actually showing it or not.

So, given that the coverage was there in the can, there is no reason why British ESP couldn't have shown it if they wanted.

And that is why I normally make out a post listing which programmes were shown on Eurosport, and which were not. Because often there are videos on YouTube that have the British Eurosport guys commentating on them that weren't actually shown on British Eurosport.

But, I haven't watched everything yet (I'm going to get stuck back in tomorrow), so I can't make out the post yet.

By the way, please be aware that the archived versions of the additional streams are now only available for 7 days, just like the archived videos from the linear channels. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Why did they have to reduce the additional stram videos down to 7 days?! Why did they not increase the linear channel videos up to 30 days to be like them?! :mad: :mad: :mad:

CaroLiza_fan

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Yeah, as I pointed out when Winnie was complaining about the repeat of the Men's FS having no commentary at all
I did finally get Dutch commentary... with the 1.5-hour recap program on Monday. *sarcasm mode on* Hurah. Long live Eurosport. *sarcasm mode off*

Eurosport do have all the commentators doing their language's voiceover for the events being shown LIVE on ESP Intl regardless of whether their own national Eurosport is actually showing it or not.
So, given that the coverage was there in the can, there is no reason why British ESP couldn't have shown it if they wanted.
That is so stupid, there are just no words.

By the way, please be aware that the archived versions of the additional streams are now only available for 7 days, just like the archived videos from the linear channels.
Tanks for the headsup!

honeygirl

Rinkside
For skate Canada airing on Eurosport UK, they are not going to air either of the men’s programs or the short or long programs for the pairs.

Miller

Final Flight
Eurosport.com, 2 weeks time, NHK. Pairs, Ladies, Men's (only one live) SP's on Friday morning/lunchtime. No dance.

UK Eurosport. TV Schedule still stuck on 2nd Nov, but schedule on the player for 3rd Nov, i.e. CoC, shows all disciplines SP live on E2 except pairs highlights. Must be just late enough in the morning for the commentators to commentate, but NHK little bit too early - am pretty sure has happened in the past.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Men's live, bless! Just hope the FS @ NHK will be live, too. :pray:
Don't desperately need live commentary for the other three...

Eclair

Medalist
OMG I can't cancel my Eurosport player abonnement under 'account/abonnements' anymore!! What this new /&)&766(/)&/(!!!???!?

edit: Apparently we have to write an email to support.eurosport to cancel the abonnements now ..:dev2: