Eurosport Updates | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Eurosport Updates

riminin

Rinkside
Today the Player aired the Highlights from Skate Canada but with 50-min delay due to a snooker comp (as always). Then they edited and uploaded the on-demand video without considering the delay so during the first 50min of the SC highlight you are watching people playing snooker!! I don't think such a stupid thing ever happened with "old" player...

Eclair

Medalist
Just to let you know, the subscription page is coming up as normal for me on the German, French and Dutch versions of the Player.

So, it must be something to do with your account.

CaroLiza_fan

Just to be clear, so there is a button on your subscription page, where you can click 'cancel abonnement'? :eeking:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just to be clear, so there is a button on your subscription page, where you can click 'cancel abonnement'? :eeking:

Yes. And when you click it, it takes you to a page which asks you why you want to cancel. The button is now shaded out when you arrive on this page, but there is a drop down menu of options, and when you select something then the cancel button becomes clickable.

Obviously, because I don't want to cancel, I didn't go any further.

CaroLiza_fan

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Today the Player aired the Highlights from Skate Canada but with 50-min delay due to a snooker comp (as always). Then they edited and uploaded the on-demand video without considering the delay.
And thus, the program also gets cut off before the actual end of the program, I think. :-(

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Today the Player aired the Highlights from Skate Canada but with 50-min delay due to a snooker comp (as always). Then they edited and uploaded the on-demand video without considering the delay so during the first 50min of the SC highlight you are watching people playing snooker!! I don't think such a stupid thing ever happened with "old" player...

Just to explain, ESP1 started off showing the Ronnie O'Sullivan match on Table 2. But it finished VERY quickly - Ronnie was thrashed 6-1 by Yan Bingtao. So, they switched over to the Ding Junhui match on Table 1, and it was much slower going, particularly after the interval. Put it like this - there were 2 frames in a row that were well over half an hour long. :eek: Ding ended up losing 6-4 to Oliver Lines.

And thus, the program also gets cut off before the actual end of the program, I think. :-(

Yup. Is there any way to get them to correct the bug?

Nope. It's been like this ever since the new version of the Player came online. And that is one of the things I gave as a reason for cancelling.

Although it won't help you guys on the continent, the things that go onto Eurosport's On Demand Service on Sky Digital do get neatly trimmed. But, it is a lottery as to whether the programme you want to go onto the service actually does.

The main problem is that they only add programmes to the service a couple of times a week. So, you could be waiting 3 or 4 days (or even more!) for something to appear. :drama: And then when that day's programmes do finally appear, the programme you want mightn't even be one of the programmes uploaded.

Take the Cup of Russia. The Men's SP was uploaded to Eurosport's On Demand service on Sky the day after it was held. But, no more programmes were added until about Wednesday, when the the Gala and the Highlights programmes were uploaded. And it wasn't until the following Friday that the Men's FS was uploaded.

So, both services badly need sorting out, but in different ways.

The BBC can have their On Demand services on both Sky and the internet working like clockwork, so why can't Eurosport?!

CaroLiza_fan

Tutto

Record Breaker
TV schedule on eurosport.co.uk is still stuck on the 2nd November - any ideas how to get around this - curious to check NHK coverage!
CoC's coverage is too good to be true - I can't and I won't believe it till I see it. Seriously considering calling in sick on Friday, that would mean alas that I'll under even greater pressure at work next week - so I am torn but temptation of being able to watch all 4 shorts live on TV is sooo, well, tempting :)- please Lord send me a sign and decide for me :pray:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Eurosport's logo is today declaring that there are "100 days to go" to the Olympics.

Erm, by my counting it is only 99 days to Thursday 8[SUP]th[/SUP] February, when the Qualifying for the Ski Jumping Men's Normal Hill competition and the first curling matches are being held.

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/durationresult.html?d1=1&m1=11&y1=2017&d2=8&m2=2&y2=2018

Typical Eurosport! They can't even count right! :rolleye:

I thought that the official broadcaster would realise that Friday 9[SUP]th[/SUP], when the Opening Cermony is being held, isn't actually the start of the Games... :slink:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
TV schedule on eurosport.co.uk is still stuck on the 2nd November - any ideas how to get around this - curious to check NHK coverage!
CoC's coverage is too good to be true - I can't and I won't believe it till I see it. Seriously considering calling in sick on Friday, that would mean alas that I'll under even greater pressure at work next week - so I am torn but temptation of being able to watch all 4 shorts live on TV is sooo, well, tempting :)- please Lord send me a sign and decide for me :pray:

The Schedule Page on the Eurosport Player website is currently going up to Wednesday 8[SUP]th[/SUP] November:

https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/schedule

So, you can start trying there from Friday onwards.

Just press the button to the left of where it says "All Sports" at the top of the page to get the horizontal listings (because the vertical listings used on that website are as clear as muck in a bottle).

Alternatively, if you just want the figure skating times for each day, click the following:

https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/schedule/figure-skating/46

Hope this helps in a few days time.

CaroLiza_fan

Tutto

Record Breaker
The Schedule Page on the Eurosport Player website is currently going up to Wednesday 8[SUP]th[/SUP] November:

https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/schedule

So, you can start trying there from Friday onwards.

Just press the button to the left of where it says "All Sports" at the top of the page to get the horizontal listings (because the vertical listings used on that website are as clear as muck in a bottle).

Alternatively, if you just want the figure skating times for each day, click the following:

https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/schedule/figure-skating/46

Hope this helps in a few days time.

CaroLiza_fan

Many thanks Caroliza_fan! But i thought Eurosport Player schedule is different from TV BESP 1& 2?

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Many thanks Caroliza_fan! But i thought Eurosport Player schedule is different from TV BESP 1& 2?

Yes, the Eurosport Player website contains listings for the additional streams. But, it also contains listings for the normal linear channels as well.

If you use the vertical listings, then it can get confusing as the things on the additional streams and the linear channels are all mixed in together.

But if you go into the horizontal listings, then Eurosport 1 and Eurosport 2 are at the top of the list. So, if you just ignore the lines below them, you're grand.

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Eurosport's logo is today declaring that there are "100 days to go" to the Olympics.

Erm, by my counting it is only 99 days to Thursday 8[SUP]th[/SUP] February, when the Qualifying for the Ski Jumping Men's Normal Hill competition and the first curling matches are being held.

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/durationresult.html?d1=1&m1=11&y1=2017&d2=8&m2=2&y2=2018

Typical Eurosport! They can't even count right! :rolleye:

I thought that the official broadcaster would realise that Friday 9[SUP]th[/SUP], when the Opening Cermony is being held, isn't actually the start of the Games... :slink:

CaroLiza_fan

LOL, I highly doubt that it is a matter of not "realizing" that competition starts the day before the Opening Ceremony.

The IOC itself considers Nov 1 as 100 days to go before the Games.

Same for the USOC and NBC, for example. Lots of "100 Day Countdown" stuff happening today in the U.S.

Eurosport is in very good company.

(And I do not see what is so terrible about counting down to the day of the Opening Ceremony, instead of the first day of competition. YMMV.)

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
LOL, I highly doubt that it is a matter of not "realizing" that competition starts the day before the Opening Ceremony.

The IOC itself considers Nov 1 as 100 days to go before the Games.

Same for the USOC and NBC, for example. Lots of "100 Day Countdown" stuff happening today in the U.S.

Eurosport is in very good company.

(And I do not see what is so terrible about counting down to the day of the Opening Ceremony, instead of the first day of competition. YMMV.)

Forgive me for being thick, but the start is when something starts. So the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] day of an event is not the start of said event.

The Closing Ceremony is respected as the very end of the event. So, the Opening Ceremony should be respected as the very start of the event as well.

And I know that this is all so that they can have the Opening Ceremony on a Friday evening and the Closing Ceremony on a Sunday evening, when people are off work. But, it makes a mockery of the concept of an "opening ceremony" to have things happening before it!

Like, at the last Summer Olympics, the Women's Football tournament started a full 2 days before the Opening Ceremony. And it was totally ignored by the media until after the Opening Ceremony.

If they can't fit everything in between the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, then extend the period between them by a week. The bonus of this is that it would also enable them to expand the competition portfolio a bit.

Because what they are doing now is making the sports that are starting before the Opening Ceremony early seem unimportant. And they are not unimportant.

Sorry for the rant. But, this is something I feel very strongly about.

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... If they can't fit everything in between the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, then extend the period between them by a week. The bonus of this is that it would also enable them to expand the competition portfolio a bit. ...

... Sorry for the rant. But, this is something I feel very strongly about. ....

If you are willing to donate sufficient funds to pay all the extra costs of extending each Olympics by a full week, perhaps the IOC and all the LOCs would be willing to give your idea some consideration ;).

I would note that it is not unusual for the "opening ceremony" at figure skating events to take place after competition already has started.

Examples:

At 2017 Rostelecom, the Men's SP and the SD took place before the Opening on Ice.

At 2017 Skate Canada International, the Ladies SP and the SD took place before the Opening Ceremony.

If you have posted rants about figure skating schedules, I have missed them.

Anyway, in the case of the 2018 Games, your original complaint that Eurosport cannot count (or that it does not realize competition starts a day before the Opening Ceremony) seems an odd way to express your real gripe -- which is with the IOC's scheduling.

Taking it out on Eurosport does not make sense to me.

ETA:

I'm sure we all remember that the inaugural edition of the figure skating team event started the day before the Opening Ceremony in Sochi.

As a fan of the team event, I'm glad that the extra day of competition before the Opening Ceremony was allowed.
Otherwise, perhaps the IOC never would have approved the addition of the team event in the first place.​

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
If you are willing to donate sufficient funds to pay all the extra costs of extending each Olympics by a full week, perhaps the IOC and all the LOCs would be willing to give your idea some consideration ;).

Good point about the extra cost that would be incurred by extending the length of the Olympics. I hadn't thought about that.

Although, there are ways that money could be saved in other areas that would enable this to happen. Such as granting the Olympics to cities that have a lot of the facilities already in place. But, that is another discussion altogether.

I would note that it is not unusual for the "opening ceremony" at figure skating events to take place after competition already has started.

Examples:

At 2017 Rostelecom, the Men's SP and the SD took place before the Opening on Ice.

At 2017 Skate Canada International, the Ladies SP and the SD took place before the Opening Ceremony.

If you have posted rants about figure skating schedules, I have missed them.

I have noticed that some figure skating competitions have Opening Ceremonies that are held after some of the SP's have been contested. But, to be honest, I haven't actually seen many Opening Ceremonies at figure skating competitions, so I don't know how common this practice is.

It is very rare that I even know that there is an Opening Ceremony at a figure skating competition, because they are normally not broadcast. I am one of those people that find the coloured Time Schedules very confusing. So, I just go by the timetable at the bottom of the Entries / Results Page. And they do not list Opening Ceremonies or Galas.

And now that Eurosport Player shoves the World Feed coverage of each segment into streams willy-nilly rather than having a dedicated stream for the World Feed coverage like they used to, there is less chance of catching them.

So, whenever I come across one, I don't complain in public because I am just grateful that I can watch it. But, I do have a wee grumble to myself. ;)

Although, whenever there are snooker tournaments in China, they always have an Opening Ceremony in between the afternoon session and the evening session on the first day. And I normally do have a grumble to myself about the positioning of it.

Anyway, in the case of the 2018 Games, your original complaint that Eurosport cannot count (or that it does not realize competition starts a day before the Opening Ceremony) seems an odd way to express your real gripe -- which is with the IOC's scheduling.

Taking it out on Eurosport does not make sense to me.

Well, the way I look at it is that by having the graphic saying that today is 100 days to go, Eurosport are condoning the attitude that the things being held before the Opening Ceremony don't matter.

And as a ski jumping fan, I find it very disturbing that the channel for which ski jumping has been an integral part of the scheduling for over 20 years is condoning the view that the first day of the sport's Olympic schedule is not important.

So, that is why I am taking it out on Eurosport.

ETA:

I'm sure we all remember that the inaugural edition of the figure skating team event started the day before the Opening Ceremony in Sochi.

As a fan of the team event, I'm glad that the extra day of competition before the Opening Ceremony was allowed.
Otherwise, perhaps the IOC never would have approved the addition of the team event in the first place.​

Don't start me on the Olympic Team Event. I didn't agree with it being added to the roster, because all it is doing is giving the skaters added pressure and extra opportunities to get injured before the most prestigious competition they can compete in.

I still feel that there are better ways that the time freed by the removal of the Compulsory Dance could have been used.

So, you are not going to coax me into saying that it starting before the Opening Ceremony is a good thing.

But, well done for trying. ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Miller

Final Flight
Perhaps now that it's '100 days to go to the Olympics' perhaps they'll start concentrating on giving one of their most important Olympic sports the prominence it deserves e.g. Rostelecom men's short only, men's free one day after the competition late at night, no sign of ladies at all, then NHK coming up looks like no men's free at all despite containing one of the biggest stars of the Olympics full stop.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Eurosport Germany will show all live except the men's short for Internationaux de France. :bang: I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. Meh....:sad4:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
:rofl: at how Eurosport TV changed the schedule today... and also tomorow's seems different :eek:hwell: just have to keep up

aynia

On the Ice
Cup of China FS pairs is now broadcasted live on E1 Germany. I'm not sure if that is according to schedule.

aynia

On the Ice
At the end of FS ice dance broadcast Sigi Heinrich stated that in Germany the Olympic figure skating competitions will be shown on TLC (free TV).