Eurosport Updates | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Eurosport Updates

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
If you do a search for "figure skating" in the Player (or any other sports), you'll get search results all the way up to and including the Gala Exhibition @ Olympics (talk about far into the future, that's nearly a month!)
But, again, only lineair channels.

Wow!!! :jaw:

I didn't know that it did that!!! I have just been using the Figure Skating filter on the schedule page.

Thank you so much for letting us know. :bow: :clap: :points:

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I didn't know that it did that!!!
Heh, you're welcome, but I kind of didn't know that, either, until just now. I don't think it usually does that. Go that far into the future, I mean. :laugh: We should thank Rissa, because I probably wouldn't have tried it otherwise (that post mentioned doing a search for figure skating).

I find it veeeeery confusing, though. I copied/pasted the listings into a document, chronologically, but I think I'm missing some stuff, and the Gala appears and disappears at will or something... :drama: Typical Eurosport, hahaha.

edit: One is thing is for sure, though: if you want to watch *everything* of the figure skating, in particularly the not-team events, you're gonna have to pay those 99 eurocents for a monthly subscription, because the lineair channels will only bother with the final flights.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I was replaying the (British) Eurosport Player streams to catch up on the 4CC competitions, since they were mostly all in the dead of night, or while I was at work.

But yesterday I checked the broadcast channel... and found that (surprise) Steve Golding and (unpleasant surprise) Joanne Conway were commentating... I think I went back to the no-commentary streams after about one skater's performance...

GF2445

Record Breaker
I was replaying the (British) Eurosport Player streams to catch up on the 4CC competitions, since they were mostly all in the dead of night, or while I was at work.

But yesterday I checked the broadcast channel... and found that (surprise) Steve Golding and (unpleasant surprise) Joanne Conway were commentating... I think I went back to the no-commentary streams after about one skater's performance...

Joanne was being typically downright disgusting as always to anyone who was not her favourite.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Joanne was being typically downright disgusting as always to anyone who was not her favourite.

Oh no! I'm still on Euros, enjoying listening to Chris and Mark (and then Chris on his own once it started getting too close to the weekend for Mark).

As I said before, I really like Simon Golding no matter what it is he commentating on, because it is obvious that he goes to the bother of finding out about everything beforehand. A lot of commentators don't seem to do that. But, he is a real professional who cares about his work. Plus, he seems genuinely interested in what he is watching and talking to us about. And it is things like that that viewers appreciate.

The less said about Joanne the better. Good skater, but awful commentator.

CaroLiza_fan

Rissa

Record Breaker
Thank you very much for all the replies, everybody! If good chances are that events will be available in their entirety, I'll stick with Player. Especially that I discovered that it works with Chromecast! :)

Tutto

Record Breaker

I don't know I think she was quite sympathetic? But her voice for some reason I find extremely annoying...

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Ohhh...-
kay...
I'm confused.
So that app has nothing whatsoever to do with the normal Player app, right? This is some gimmicky thing for 99 cents that lets me... what, exactly? Give me the sense that I'm inside the arena? That sounds kinda kewl.
Here's my money, please and thank you. I may only use it for a few minutes, but I'll take it.

But can I stream the video from my iPhone to the telly? Because I'm not going to watch the Men's Free on my iPhone or even larger iPad screen, when I have a big television. :unsure:

Not in Germany. Nice!

Huh. Does this maybe have anything to do with the fact that Germany had some sort of separate licensing deal, or am I really off the mark?

edit: just got even more confused than I already was. Found this news article: https://www.eurosport.com/all-sports/eurosport-launches-new-vr-app_sto5584857/story.shtml
So this app has already existed since May 2016 ?!
edit2: checked out the already-existing VR app, so yeah, they'll have a separate one for the Olympics. It's... fun. I guess. Uhm... There are some short videos of various sports that show you the options. Since I don't have a cardboard thingy to put my iphone in, it's a bit meh, I don't really get the feeling I'm "in" anywhere, but you can indeed see everything around you. If you check it out, there's a section called Visit, with a video about Abu Dhabi, which features a VR and somewhat familiar-looking figure skater (!).

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Well, the public tv-stations here in Germany don't have the rights to show Figure Skating live, it'll be only broadcasted by Discovery's station TLC. To be completely honest, I think it's cool and interesting, but I'm too invested in these events to play around with vr on my phone, and I'm not sure if there is even the option to go back and watch from different perspectives after the events are over. So, no big loss for me.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I’m with you, I might give it a try during some early skaters in the Men’s or Ice Dance when I’m not emotionally invested, but... from what I just saw in their normal VR app, it’s more distracting than anything else.
I’ll pay 99 cents and have a bit of fun with it, but that’s all.
You won’t miss anything important without it, if the other app is anything to go by. ;-)

Tutto

Record Breaker
Sky TV Schedule shows some replays of the team event on the 9th Feb the earliest at 5am- nothing Live but at least I 'll be able to record the replays. Still very much in the fog on how they are going to cover the events - will be there additional streams like BBC used to do?
BBC Red Button will show some FS but I am not sure I could record those on Sky box?

My apologies - I haven't looked at 8th Feb - silly me! BESP1 will show the team event LIVE from 1am - 4.30am :yahoo:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sky TV Schedule shows some replays of the team event on the 9th Feb the earliest at 5am- nothing Live but at least I 'll be able to record the replays. Still very much in the fog on how they are going to cover the events - will be there additional streams like BBC used to do?
BBC Red Button will show some FS but I am not sure I could record those on Sky box?

According to this story, there is just going to be the one interactive channel as normal.

Up here in the North, this channel is available on channel 980, so there shouldn't be any problem recording.

Down South, I think you have to manually tune the channel in. And unfortunately, the Sky+ box doesn't have the capability to record from manually tuned channels (I don't know about Sky Q boxes).

I'll post the details of how to tune in the BBC channels nearer the time. Because there is no point doing it at the moment as we don't know what they are showing.

I really wish that the broadcasters would release full details of just what they plan to show on their linear channels and what they plan to show online. Because there is too much uncertainty for fans of particular sports.

CaroLiza_fan

Tutto

Record Breaker
According to this story, there is just going to be the one interactive channel as normal.

Up here in the North, this channel is available on channel 980, so there shouldn't be any problem recording.

Down South, I think you have to manually tune the channel in. And unfortunately, the Sky+ box doesn't have the capability to record from manually tuned channels (I don't know about Sky Q boxes).

I'll post the details of how to tune in the BBC channels nearer the time. Because there is no point doing it at the moment as we don't know what they are showing.

I really wish that the broadcasters would release full details of just what they plan to show on their linear channels and what they plan to show online. Because there is too much uncertainty for fans of particular sports.

CaroLiza_fan

Exactly! Only now when I saw there will be Live coverage (touch wood...) of the 1st team event I am beginning to feel it is real and getting excited.
I've BBC Red Button tuned but as you said it is not possible to record. Oh how much I wish I could take time off work - alas!
On the top of all the worries & uncertainties my Sky+ box began to play up. It's changing channels by itself it so weird like you've got someone else in the room with the second remote control , oh dear...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Exactly! Only now when I saw there will be Live coverage (touch wood...) of the 1st team event I am beginning to feel it is real and getting excited.
I've BBC Red Button tuned but as you said it is not possible to record. Oh how much I wish I could take time off work - alas!
On the top of all the worries & uncertainties my Sky+ box began to play up. It's changing channels by itself it so weird like you've got someone else in the room with the second remote control , oh dear...

Oh. My. Goodness! We've had the exact same problem for the past year or so. And the cynic in me is saying that Sky are deliberately doing this to try to get us to switch to Sky Q, which I do not want to.

I like the idea of being able to record more channels at once, but I do not like the way they have seriously cut down on the number of connections at the back. Like, we send the Sky pictures around the house via the coax cables, but the Q box doesn't have coax sockets. Or SCART sockets. Or audio sockets.

In fact, when I bought a new non-Sky satellite receiver to replace the one in the kitchen that I use to view the European channels, I deliberately chose one that did have all these connections. (It actually arrived while I was writing this comment! So, it's going to be fun learning how to use it between now and next Thursday!)

I am really dreading the thought of the Sky+ box dying, because I have an awful lot of stuff on it.

So, fingers crossed that this is not the beginning of the end for our boxes.

CaroLiza_fan

Tutto

Record Breaker
Oh. My. Goodness! We've had the exact same problem for the past year or so. And the cynic in me is saying that Sky are deliberately doing this to try to get us to switch to Sky Q, which I do not want to.

I like the idea of being able to record more channels at once, but I do not like the way they have seriously cut down on the number of connections at the back. Like, we send the Sky pictures around the house via the coax cables, but the Q box doesn't have coax sockets. Or SCART sockets. Or audio sockets.

In fact, when I bought a new non-Sky satellite receiver to replace the one in the kitchen that I use to view the European channels, I deliberately chose one that did have all these connections. (It actually arrived while I was writing this comment! So, it's going to be fun learning how to use it between now and next Thursday!)

I am really dreading the thought of the Sky+ box dying, because I have an awful lot of stuff on it.

So, fingers crossed that this is not the beginning of the end for our boxes.

CaroLiza_fan

You know I wouldn't put that past them [Sky]. I remember complaining about some issue and immediately an upgrade to Sky Q was suggested despite my box being only 3 years 'old'. Well, I am going to hold on to my box for as long as I possibly can because of all the precious recordings. Also I hope my 'upgrade' will be for the cable when it will become available in my area (next year), at least that would be a real upgrade - no more poor signal nonsense!
Sadly, this world is obsessed with improvement, when I see a label on my favourite product saying 'New Improved Formula' I knew immediately it's a disaster and in a 99% instances I am correct, but someone gets a bonus I guess for it

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
The new Eurosport Olympics VR app is available now. I got the iOS edition @ 99 eurocents. So far, not impressed. As in, not seeing anything. It looks like there's a bunch of preview videos and such, but I cannot get them to work (yet?). Could just be first-day problems...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, got up early to try to do some more catching up before I start taking everything apart to install the new satellite receiver, and when I opened Eurosport Player, I noticed some changes.

Firstly, the bar at the top is now a lighter blue, to tie in with the Olympics logo.

But, more importantly, when you click on the arrow beside the "E" logo in the top right hand corner to open the drop down menu, there is now an option saying "Olympics".

Here is the direct link for the page it takes you too:

https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/events/Olympics2018

This page has all the Olympic sports listed alphabetically, and when you click into them, it lists all the broadcast times and the On Demand videos!!!!

Here are the categories, and the direct links to their listings:

Dates
CategorySchedule AddressOn Demand Address
11–24 Feb. 2018Alpine Skiinghttps://www.eurosportplayer.com/events/alpine-skiing/24418211Not available yet
10–23 Feb. 2018Biathlonhttps://www.eurosportplayer.com/events/biathlon/24418711Not available yet
10–23 Feb. 2018Bobsleighhttps://www.eurosportplayer.com/events/bobsleigh/24419211Not available yet
18–25 Feb. 2018Cross-Country Skiinghttps://www.eurosportplayer.com/events/cross-country-skiing/24420611Not available yet
08–25 Feb. 2018Curlinghttps://www.eurosportplayer.com/events/curling/24421111Not available yet
09–25 Feb. 2018Figure Skatinghttps://www.eurosportplayer.com/events/figure-skating/24421611Not available yet
09–18 Feb. 2018Freestyle Skiinghttps://www.eurosportplayer.com/events/freestyle-skiing/24422211Not available yet
10–25 Feb. 2018Ice Hockeyhttps://www.eurosportplayer.com/events/ice-hockey/24422711Not available yet
10–15 Feb. 2018Lugehttps://www.eurosportplayer.com/events/luge/24423211Not available yet
14–22 Feb. 2018Nordic Combinedhttps://www.eurosportplayer.com/events/nordic-combined/24423711Not available yet
10–22 Feb. 2018Short Trackhttps://www.eurosportplayer.com/events/short-track/24424211Not available yet
15–17 Feb. 2018Skeletonhttps://www.eurosportplayer.com/events/skeleton/24424711Not available yet
08–19 Feb. 2018Ski Jumpinghttps://www.eurosportplayer.com/events/ski-jumping/24425211Not available yet
10–24 Feb. 2018Snowboardinghttps://www.eurosportplayer.com/events/snowboarding/24425711Not available yet
10–24 Feb. 2018Speed Skatinghttps://www.eurosportplayer.com/events/speed-skating/24425811Not available yet

A note: It is still the case that all versions of Eurosport Player run from the eurosportplayer.com address, and re-direct to the local version. So, to avoid confusion, I have used the generic addresses in the table. If you view Eurosport Player in a language other than the default language for the country whose version you are on, then a language code appears between the “.com” and the rest of the address. This language code refers to the language the website is displayed in, NOT the language the commentary is in. The commentary is still only available in the local language on each version. :disapp:​

The irony is that the picture they are using as the cover photo on the Figure Skating page (and the thumbnail on the Olympics Index) is of Elena Ilinykh / Nikita Katsalapov. :drama:

If there are any further developments, I’ll let you know.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
In my iOS Player, the listings are terrible. Except for the team event, there appear to be no separate streams listed anymore... I’m not really gonna be stuck with only the last few flights of skaters of every event like on the lineair channels, right?
How odd.

edit: just checked, it's the same in the Olympics section in the browser Player, that CaroLiz_fan mentioned. Where did the listings for the streams go?! All I see now are the listings for the lineair channels (which, frankly suck, because only final flights for the non-team events?), and they added the Olympics symbol to the images, but the normal "E" for the streams is gone. Ehm...

On slightly more positive news, my 99 eurocents weren't a total waste, as of this morning the VR stuff in the new VR Olympics app are running. :agree: