Eurosport Updates | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Eurosport Updates

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
Does anyone know - will eurosport do a special offer during the olympics for their stream? I'm not really thrilled about spending the extra money but it will probably be a safer bet than the BBC.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Does anyone know - will eurosport do a special offer during the olympics for their stream? I'm not really thrilled about spending the extra money but it will probably be a safer bet than the BBC.
I'm not sure about the UK, but right now, in the Netherlands (and I know there are other countries), there is a special Olympics offer of 0.99 euro for the first month of the monthly plan (and yes, if you don't opt out, after that one month it is automatically renewed at 6.99 euros per month, ouch).

I assume if the UK gets such an offer as well, it would be available right now already. Because the Dutch one runs until the very end of February, so exactly one month.

"

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
Doesn't seem to be available. such a shame.

Apparently they've got a deal with amazon prime in the uk, which leaves it at 4.99 so thats probably what I'll do. this is stupid.

EDIT: I am an idiot it IS available. They just .. don't advertise it. A little bit idiotic if you ask me but well. I found it at least :) (Promo Code has to be entered: UK99)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
edit: just checked, it's the same in the Olympics section in the browser Player, that CaroLiz_fan mentioned. Where did the listings for the streams go?! All I see now are the listings for the lineair channels (which, frankly suck, because only final flights for the non-team events?), and they added the Olympics symbol to the images, but the normal "E" for the streams is gone. Ehm...

Mmmm. The additional streams are still there when you go into the horizontal listings for next Thursday and Friday.

Must be some sort of a glitch in the new pages for the Olympic sports that the additional streams are not included in the listings.

Either that, or they have decided that the way the additional streams only have listings for 7 days in advance would make it too confusing for a 17 day event.

Well, we know what the answer to that is - increase the number of days in the listings!

CaroLiza_fan

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
EDIT: I am an idiot it IS available. They just .. don't advertise it. A little bit idiotic if you ask me but well.
I'm with you, it's not being advertised here, either, which I find rather odd. Literally the only place I could find it was in the actual subscriptions page (and only after I logged out of my account, of course, because i already have a subscription), and even then you have to really read the small print to realize there is an offer going on. Pffft.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Must be some sort of a glitch in the new pages for the Olympic sports that the additional streams are not included in the listings.
Typical Eurosport weirdness, because the "E" icon does show up for the Friday February 9 events. So yeah, hoping it's just a 7-days only thing and/or glitch and not something else... ;-)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Guys - we have some good news and we have some bad news.

The good news...

EUROSPORT ARE LAUNCHING THREE EXTRA LINEAR CHANNELS!!!!!!!

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

The bad news...

They are only for the duration of the Olympics.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Eurosport 3, Eurosport 4 and Eurosport 5 launch on 7[SUP]th[/SUP] February, and close again on 28[SUP]th[/SUP] February.

I only found out by chance when I visited the "Coming Soon" page of a website listing TV channels that I visit regularly. And I was wondering if this was legit (after all, this is a Wiki-type website where anybody can edit). So, I went searching on Google for the names of the new channels. (Searching for "Eurosport 5" works best, because "Eurosport 3" comes up with 3D stuff, while "Eurosport 4" comes up with 4K UHD stuff).

Here is what I found on the BT customer help website (this is where I got all the details):

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61061

And here is what I found on the Virgin Media Ireland website:

https://www.virginmedia.ie/winter-olympics/

So, we know for definite that the extra channels are launching on terrestrial TV (BT) in the UK, and on cable TV (Virgin) in Ireland.

But, what about cable TV in the UK? And, what about satellite TV?

Hopefully we will get announcements in the next few days.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, these new channels are also mentioned on lots of websites written in Polish. So, it looks like Poland will be getting them too.​

CaroLiza_fan

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I heard about this a week or so ago... never occurred to me to post it here because the news article only mentioned it becoming available to Ziggo cable customers in the Netherlands. So I figured it was something local and it was like three streams being made available as TV channels for Ziggo only.
Oops. Sorry, lol

That said, I said farewell to Ziggo less than a year ago when I switched to fiber for everything, and T mobile Netherlands does not provide these three channels.

BOO! :(

edit: http://www.totaaltv.nl/nieuws/engels-commentaar-bij-tijdelijke-olympische-eurosportkanalen-ziggo/
In Belgium the channels are available via Telenet. Anyway, the article talks about exclusivity contract with Ziggo because of Liberty Global. (European deal Discovery Networks and Liberty Global) So the three channels definitely won't be available to everyone in Europe.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
29th February? That would be in 2020 then? :-D

Sorry for the typing error. Yes, I meant 28[SUP]th[/SUP] February.

Although, it would be nice to have them around for another 2 years... by which stage Eurosport would have to make them permanent, as we were used to them and there would be uproar if they were removed...! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
*sigh* Television-wise, Ziggo definitely beats T-mobile. But since the numbers of programs I've watched on 'normal' television in the whole of January is maybe two, I'm not gonna say I'm sorry I made the switch to another provider, as I'm far more interested with high-speed internet these days than extra television channels (and I'm paying less, too).

So can we assume that the whole of the figure skating events will be aired on one of those extra three channels? Because those 1.5 hours, give or take 15 minutes, that I see listed on E1 for the non-team events sure don't cover the whole events, only the last groups.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, I have been reading a thread on the Digital Spy Forum about channels testing, and somebody brought up these new Eurosport channels, and mentioned the carriers that had already announced that they were carrying them.

And then somebody else pointed out that all the carriers mentioned were owned by Liberty Media, and linked to a page on the Discovery Corporate website about them doing a carriage deal:

https://corporate.discovery.com/dis...-term-comprehensive-distribution-partnership/

And this started the speculation that these channels were exclusive to Liberty Media. Until it was pointed out about them coming on BT.

Nevertheless, I am concerned that they may not be coming to Sky, because the guy that runs that thread pointed out that channels are required to test for 6-7 days in advance of launch, and there have been no such tests.

Unless, of course, they are a temporary rebranding for some of Discovery's channels. But, then there would be changes made to the channels in the OFCOM licence list. And that hasn't happened yet.

So, it is looking like they won't be on Sky. We thought that falling-out last year had all been sorted, but it appears that it may still be having an effect.

Has anybody heard anything about whether they will be on Sky Deutschland or Sky Italia?

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Guys - we have some good news and we have some bad news.

The good news...

EUROSPORT ARE LAUNCHING THREE EXTRA LINEAR CHANNELS!!!!!!!

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

The bad news...

They are only for the duration of the Olympics.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Eurosport 3, Eurosport 4 and Eurosport 5 launch on 7[SUP]th[/SUP] February, and close again on 28[SUP]th[/SUP] February.

I only found out by chance when I visited the "Coming Soon" page of a website listing TV channels that I visit regularly. And I was wondering if this was legit (after all, this is a Wiki-type website where anybody can edit). So, I went searching on Google for the names of the new channels. (Searching for "Eurosport 5" works best, because "Eurosport 3" comes up with 3D stuff, while "Eurosport 4" comes up with 4K UHD stuff).

Here is what I found on the BT customer help website (this is where I got all the details):

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61061

And here is what I found on the Virgin Media Ireland website:

https://www.virginmedia.ie/winter-olympics/

So, we know for definite that the extra channels are launching on terrestrial TV (BT) in the UK, and on cable TV (Virgin) in Ireland.

But, what about cable TV in the UK? And, what about satellite TV?

Hopefully we will get announcements in the next few days.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, these new channels are also mentioned on lots of websites written in Polish. So, it looks like Poland will be getting them too.

CaroLiza_fan

Well, I spotted one additional channel, have no idea where are the other two!

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Another newsy bit: as of yesterday, the Eurosport Player is available as app on the PlayStation 4.
Dunno if it works on the PS3, too, but I tested it on my PS4, and it seems to run fine. The Olympics are hidden under “Events” in the menu on the left-hand corner, accessible via the triangle.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It's not February 7th yet, though... or do you guys get them early? ;-)

Well, there is just a screen opf Pyongchang logo, but it is there :biggrin: Whichc is good, at least I know where to look for :hap10:

Rissa

Record Breaker
If I had known about these extra channels a week ago I would have got those I would have got them instead of the Eurosport Player subscription - my satellite provider charges for them exactly the same as Eurosport Player charged me for their monthly subscription. :laugh: It'd be more convinient to use on a TV, provided that the skating IS there in all its live glory.

I looked up the Player listings again and the extra streams pop up. It seems the Sunday team event will be streamed live. All of it, not just final flights. :clap:

Tutto

Record Breaker
I rang the Sky customer care today - they didn't seem to have a clue about the launch of additional Eurosport channels. When I pointed out that their rival Media Virgin already done that, they were like - you don't need those channels as you would have all the coverage on BESP1 & 2 + on BBC. I disagreed. They repeated that I would not need any extra channels - all the events will be covered (BS!), our conversation went on these lines for a good while and eventually I gave up. :(

And btw there is 2 hours highlights of GPF on Wednesday is someone wants to catch up. I'd prefer if they would do a recap of Sochi instead.