Eurosport Updates | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Eurosport Updates

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
LOL, I was gonna ask you where you saw this... and then stumbled upon the horizontal channel listings. I've never seen those before! Now I finally understand what you meant by that. :drama: Just never occurred to me it was anything different than what I was seeing when I clicked on Schedule. Sneakily little icon in the upper right corner, tsk.

Anyway, our Dutch schedule is exactly the same as yours, livestream channels-wise, anyway. [+ 1 hour, of course]

It took me a good few weeks after the Europort Player website was updated to find the horizontal listings as well. That button is so easy to miss. :drama:

I just can't fathom why Eurosport would have the horizontal listings hidden by default and make you have to press a button to get them. They are much easier to understand than what they do show by default.

I'm really sorry for the confusion. I thought I had posted about how to get the horizontal listings in one of my later posts in this thread, but I mustn't have.

:disapp: :slink:

CaroLiza_fan

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I thought I had posted about how to get the horizontal listings in one of my later posts in this thread, but I mustn't have.
Ha, who says you didn't? I probably just read it and thought Check, got it, probably what I'm always seeing. But now that you specifically mentioned the figure skating being on two different livestreams... that made me realize I wasn't seeing the same thing at all. Because the vertical listings don't show anything about different streams.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ha, who says you didn't? I probably just read it and thought Check, got it, probably what I'm always seeing. But now that you specifically mentioned the figure skating being on two different livestreams... that made me realize I wasn't seeing the same thing at all. Because the vertical listings don't show anything about different streams.

Nah, I just checked and I did forget. And the fact that you didn't know was what led me to realise that I had. You have been a faithful reader and contributer to this thread. So, if anybody would have seen it, you would have.

Thinking about it, I should put a couple of paragraphs about the schedule page into the first post in this thread. But, I can't do it at the moment because of the issues with editing posts. I have made quite a few edits to that first post, so if it went back to the original version, it would need a LOT of doctoring before I even got to add the new stuff in.

So, I am afraid that the editing will have to wait until the issues are sorted out.

CaroLiza_fan

Miller

Final Flight
And the good news is – we do have figure skating on the additional streams!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

BUT, as I alluded to in my last comment, it is spread across different streaming channels. :rolleye: :confused:

The following are on the same stream, which (at the moment anyway) is the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] stream (5[SUP]th[/SUP] additional stream) on the list:

12:00 – 14:45 BST Men's Short
16:30 – 17:45 BST Pair’s Short

This stream turns into a snooker stream at 19:00 BST.

The others are on a different stream, which (at the moment anyway) is the 11[SUP]th[/SUP] stream (9[SUP]th[/SUP] additional stream) on the list:

14:00 – 15:25 BST Short Dance
18:00 – 19:40 BST Ladies Short

These are the only programmes on this particular stream the whole day. Which begs the question – why are Eurosport not showing all the figure skating on this stream?!

The way the streams are being managed nowadays is a total mess. It was much easier to find things when we had streams dedicated to a particular sport.

EDIT: These details are based on the British Eurosport Player. The streams may be positioned differently on the other versions.​

CaroLiza_fan

And Ladies Short/Dance are on Eurosport 2, 8/9 and 10/11p.m. respectively, live on UK/.com Eurosport on Friday evening 27th for Skate Canada. Yay!

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
And Ladies Short/Dance are on Eurosport 2, 8/9 and 10/11p.m. respectively, live on UK/.com Eurosport on Friday evening 27th for Skate Canada. Yay!

Unfortunately the other two events, Men and Pairs, are in the Canadian evening. Not yay at all. Pretty sure that means no Men's SP live commentary. Already missing out on the Rostelecom Men FS live commentary, and now Skate Canada SP. I have really come to enjoy making those translations of the live commentary (Yuzu will be at Rostelecom, Shoma at SC), so... shame shame. Hopefully the Men's FS will be aired live, but looks like that's also an 11 pm to 1 am kinda deal... so not holding my breath.

Actually, Eurosport Netherlands only shows the Ice Dance live. No Ladies, because once again, French soccer is muuuuuch more important (our own soccer players are so bad, now they want us to watch French soccer??!! Get real.)

Guess who will be hogging that livestream again? :drama:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Unfortunately the other two events, Men and Pairs, are in the Canadian evening. Not yay at all. Pretty sure that means no Men's SP live commentary. Already missing out on the Rostelecom Men FS live commentary, and now Skate Canada SP. I have really come to enjoy making those translations of the live commentary (Yuzu will be at Rostelecom, Shoma at SC), so... shame shame. Hopefully the Men's FS will be aired live, but looks like that's also an 11 pm to 1 am kinda deal... so not holding my breath.

Actually, Eurosport Netherlands only shows the Ice Dance live. No Ladies, because once again, French soccer is muuuuuch more important (our own soccer players are so bad, now they want us to watch French soccer??!! Get real.)

Guess who will be hogging that livestream again? :drama:

Same for Germany, only Ladies Short and Short Dance for Skate Canada. It's pretty late, so I'm sure there won't be a live-coverage of Pairs and Mens Short. On the other hand, I'm pretty positive about a repeat with commentary. I'm actually surprised they show Ladies and especially Dance as it is at midnight! Mmmh, another sleepless night for me. Or we'll see tomorrow, if there is a rerun.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Nooo...no sign of pairs and men's on Saturday either. :bang: I must've been too optimistic. Ladies Long and Ice Dance live though. Shoma, Aliona........*sniffles* Well, at least Anna for me, so yay.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Nooo...no sign of pairs and men's on Saturday either. :bang: I must've been too optimistic. Ladies Long and Ice Dance live though. Shoma, Aliona........*sniffles* Well, at least Anna for me, so yay.
I don't see anything even remotely resembling FS/FD on the Dutch page.
I'm so impressed right now... :rolleye:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
You have my commiserations. Eurosport NL seems a complete disaster area.

Eurosport's schedules full stop are a complete disaster area. And they will continue to be until they launch more linear channels.

Just a side thought.

Discovery Networks are currently in the process of buying another American broadcaster, Scripps Networks Interactive. Only two of Scripps' American channels have UK versions, Travel Channel and Food Network. But they would fit nicely into Discovery's portfolio of documentary and lifestyle channels, so I can't see them being replaced.

However, the significant thing is that a few years ago, Virgin Media sold their 50% stake in the UKTV Network to Scripps. The BBC owns the other 50%.

So, given that the BBC and Eurosport are sharing the UK coverage of the Olympics until after the 2024 Summer Games, could the UKTV Network be used to provide additional capacity during the Olympics?

Not the solution that those of us who want to watch the entire season of our favourite sports would like. But, with Eurosport seemingly so reluctant to launch more channels, it may be a workable short-term solution for when the Olympics are on.

CaroLiza_fan

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I don't see anything even remotely resembling FS/FD on the Dutch page.
I'm so impressed right now... :rolleye:

Really? Man, that's frustrating! Free Dance is live on german Eurosport 2 at 21:15 hrs. There is a rerun of the Ladies short at 18:00 and two hours live of Ladies long at 19:00 hrs. Perhaps if we're lucky we're going to see some men or pairs when there is a 6 minute warmup. Who knows.

Miller

Final Flight
Eurosport's schedules full stop are a complete disaster area. And they will continue to be until they launch more linear channels.

Just a side thought.

Discovery Networks are currently in the process of buying another American broadcaster, Scripps Networks Interactive. Only two of Scripps' American channels have UK versions, Travel Channel and Food Network. But they would fit nicely into Discovery's portfolio of documentary and lifestyle channels, so I can't see them being replaced.

However, the significant thing is that a few years ago, Virgin Media sold their 50% stake in the UKTV Network to Scripps. The BBC owns the other 50%.

So, given that the BBC and Eurosport are sharing the UK coverage of the Olympics until after the 2024 Summer Games, could the UKTV Network be used to provide additional capacity during the Olympics?

Not the solution that those of us who want to watch the entire season of our favourite sports would like. But, with Eurosport seemingly so reluctant to launch more channels, it may be a workable short-term solution for when the Olympics are on.

CaroLiza_fan

Possibly. I wish Eurosport would just go the way of other providers and provide a red button service. That way people who don't subscribe to the player could watch figure skating as you've outlined earlier without having to fork out extra money for the player.

Re the olympics maybe they'll just have extra channels as the BBC does but the channels you mention could be used instead, maybe.

On other matters just to let everyone know I've found out that Europort have a 10 year contract with the WPBSA, snooker's governing body to cover snooker up to 2026. We may just have to get used to what we're getting now, their priorities are clearly snooker, cycling (I expect a lot more track cycling this next few weeks), and the final rounds of their various motorsports, which seem to be getting more and more popular across the various providers e.g. I've noticed Sky, BT Sport and Eurosport all have speedway in thier schedules as well as things like motocross. Before you know it we'll be getting rallycross from Lydden Hill!

s1alker

Rinkside
Keep in mind once we hit November Eurosport's linear channels are filled to the brim with various winter sports (Alpine skiing, biathlon, cross country, etc) Add to that they throw in snooker and track cycling and things are very tight.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Really? Man, that's frustrating! Free Dance is live on german Eurosport 2 at 21:15 hrs. There is a rerun of the Ladies short at 18:00 and two hours live of Ladies long at 19:00 hrs. Perhaps if we're lucky we're going to see some men or pairs when there is a 6 minute warmup. Who knows.
Huh, that doesn't sound so bad.
Oh hey, the Eurosport Player looks at the country where you are located, right? So if I were to drive fifteen minutes east on Saturday evening and park my car somewhere in Germany... would I get the German E1 and E2 in the Player on my iPhone? :laugh:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I have no idea. 15 minutes, that's worth a try. I wouldn't bet on it though, your connection would have to be pretty good. Ah... I honestly don't understand why they don't let their subscribers watch other language versions in Europe. Don't they know that I learned english in the 90's solely through MTV Europe? :con2:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I have no idea. 15 minutes, that's worth a try. I wouldn't bet on it though, your connection would have to be pretty good. Ah... I honestly don't understand why they don't let their subscribers watch other language versions in Europe. Don't they know that I learned english in the 90's solely through MTV Europe? :con2:
The connection wouldn't be a problem. But now that I think about... I'm not sure what it would actually accomplish other than that I'd get E1 or E2 stream with German commentary. Of course I already have the streams of the figure skating, regardless of where I take the phone... I think. I'm gonna have to look that up on the eurosport website. I sure hope that if I go outside the country, my subscription remains working. It'd be nice if it switched to the local version.
(Yes, I'm gonna need it later this GP season. :) )
edit: okay, that doesn't seem to be a problem, according to the website. https://nl.eurosportplayer.com/en/help "If you access Eurosport Player from a country other than the Albania where it is available, you will automatically be connected to Eurosport Player as it is available in that other country." I assume by Albania they mean "country". :laugh:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
The connection wouldn't be a problem. But now that I think about... I'm not sure what it would actually accomplish other than that I'd get E1 or E2 stream with German commentary. Of course I already have the streams of the figure skating, regardless of where I take the phone... I think. I'm gonna have to look that up on the eurosport website. I sure hope that if I go outside the country, my subscription remains working. It'd be nice if it switched to the local version.
(Yes, I'm gonna need it later this GP season. :) )

Do you understand German? Otherwise it really wouldn't make sense.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Well enough. But yeah, no, there's no real point to it, because I'm not really that desperate for German commentary. ;-)

I will certainly try to transcribe any Shoma commentary anyway, and Anna's, if there is interest. Ice Dance perhaps is the most interesting commentary, because Hendrik Schamberger, the expert for German Eurosport, is a former Ice Dancer. And a Doctor, too. So interesting commentary about muscles and injuries. (He said Shoma will be fine in the future, because he seems to have a great core strength and strong muscles, for example)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will certainly try to transcribe any Shoma commentary anyway, and Anna's, if there is interest. Ice Dance perhaps is the most interesting commentary, because Hendrik Schamberger, the expert for German Eurosport, is a former Ice Dancer. And a Doctor, too. So interesting commentary about muscles and injuries. (He said Shoma will be fine in the future, because he seems to have a great core strength and strong muscles, for example)

I would love it if you would translate some of the German commentary. It's fun to get a lot of different perspectives. I'm assuming you're talking about Sk Can? (Sorry, didn't read the whole thread).