Germany’s Nicole Schott: 2017-18 | Golden Skate

Germany’s Nicole Schott: 2017-18

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Germany’s Nicole Schott approaches Olympic season with confidence

Nicole Schott is currently Germany’s top lady in figure skating, who finished in the top ten at the 2017 ISU European Figure Skating Championships last season. The 20-year-old secured an Olympic spot at the 2017 ISU World Figure Skating Championships, and is approaching this season with new-found confidence.

More

“I would lie if I said that my world would not come down if it doesn’t happen (to go to the Olympic Games),” admitted Schott. “You are not working so hard for nothing and the past season was really good. If you secure an Olympic spot, you want to get it for yourself.”

However, Schott does have competition in current German Champion and 2014 Olympian Nathalie Weinzierl, former German Champion Lutricia Bock and up and coming Lea Johanna Dastich, who ranked eighth at Junior Worlds. Nevertheless, she is determined to remain on top in Germany.

Does she have the goods for one of the German spots?

Last edited:

QuadThrow

Medalist
It will be a hard race against Dastich. Maybe the German Fed is going to support Dastich because she is younger and her jumps are consistent.

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
Top 3 at Euros? Sorry, but that is a Dream which will Not come true in the Next years
I really like Nicole, but to be fair, her jumps are Not the best and far away of consistent.

Hopefully there will Be a Hard Battle for that Olympia Spot ... weinzierl have everything she needs, but she have to land her jumps consistantly! Dastich have the jumps but not the skating skills. And Bock? After the injury Last year, which also forced her to stop her summer training this year in canada is a big question mark

Alex D

Record Breaker
I think it all comes down to dealing with pressure. In an Olympic season, the attention from the media will grow and some deal with that better than others. That we have four strong ladies is good, it should give them all a nice boost and you never know if someone else, could potentially come out of nowhere.

May the better lady win and then enjoy the Olympics with two lovely programs, like Peter did at Sochi.

Top 3 at Euros? Sorry, but that is a Dream which will Not come true in the Next years

Well,

I think it is part of being an athlete, that you have long term goals. Russia is leading in Europe, but there will always be that one chance in a lifetime and then you just need to take it. Look at Sarah Meier, nobody would have thought she could win, yet she did!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think it all comes down to dealing with pressure. In an Olympic season, the attention from the media will grow and some deal with that better than others. That we have four strong ladies is good, it should give them all a nice boost and you never know if someone else, could potentially come out of nowhere.

May the better lady win and then enjoy the Olympics with two lovely programs, like Peter did at Sochi.

Well,

I think it is part of being an athlete, that you have long term goals. Russia is leading in Europe, but there will always be that one chance in a lifetime and then you just need to take it. Look at Sarah Meier, nobody would have thought she could win, yet she did!

I agree that it will be difficult for any lady to break through against the Russians however, what does Nicole need to get an Olympic Spot. Won't it be enough that she is the German National Champion?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
She definitely has a good shot at the Olympics right now. And the positive spin of course is going to be shown to the world. You notice not one of these stories suggests the skater is on a downward spiral, the injury or challenge insurmountable, it is about I am improving my speed, jumps, ampliitude, spins, choreo, difficult footwork, I am inspired. Not I am afraid I can't keep up with the big boys or the jumps or I am no longer relevant. Sell sell sell. We have lots sof talk about quads for example but how many clean ones will we see. It is possible we could see two popped quads in the short and a top rated skater doesn't make the free skate. it's not wishful thnking but there is a price to pay for development or risky quads. Nicole is saying the right things. She needs to do it.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I agree that it will be difficult for any lady to break through against the Russians however, what does Nicole need to get an Olympic Spot. Won't it be enough that she is the German National Champion?

Unless things have changed, this is how it works.

The first thing an athlete has to look at is the "qualification score", an internal score set up by DEU and DOSB (German, Olympic Federation). Said score, must be achieved at an ISU listed event prior to nationals, in 2013 this score was 145 points for the ladies.

Once you achieved said score, you are in the pool of athletes who have the right to go. Said right, however, must be backed up with a better overall impression, compared to the other contenders, who are also qualified. This overall impression, is based on your season and nationals result.

In 2013, our national champion Nathalie Weinzierl was sent, even though she did not have the points prior to nationals. But since, nobody else had (if I recall this right) and she was the champion with an outstanding 175.31 at said event, she was still given the ticket.

Tatjana

On the Ice

I tried to find the rules for the Olympic team on the website of the German Skating Union, but I didn't find them. However, IIRC, there is the "minimum score" that has to be achieved as Alex D mentioned. Then the skaters compete in three Challenger events and at Nationals and the best three results will be added up and who has the most points takes the spot. Only Aljona Savchenko and Bruno Massot obviously are automatically qualified.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Nicole is not TBH on my radar but I re-watched her LP at Euro in Ostrava and I liked what I saw and so did the BES guys who were very supporting and appreciative of her skating. If she can improve technically (and I think she has a technique it is only a lack of confidence is an issue really) she'll definitely get that Oly spot.
Germany has such a tradition of success in ladies discipline it is a high time someone would live up to the past glory of Katarina