Core strength! | Golden Skate

Core strength!

renla

Rinkside
So I had my lesson yesterday and it was going pretty well, and toward the end I asked my coach when he could teach me how to spin. He said he couldn't until my core was stronger :(

He then explained that while my legs are great, sometimes I tend to wobble forward or backward in my middle area and when that happens, it happens really fast. It's really noticeable whenever I'm practicing my waltz jump on the wall (I bend forward a lot when I land), but it happens during other maneuvers too. I've decided that I'm going to cut out fast food for a month and do some exercises focusing on my core during the week, and hopefully that will improve things.

This may be a dumb question, but I was wondering how I would know when I'm getting stronger there? Will it just be a matter of not wobbling anymore? I initially thought that was because of a balance issue. I also don't feel like I'm doing anything with those muscles while I'm skating, but my coach has told me that core muscles are very important. I'd like to get it under control because my waltz looks good on the wall and people keep telling me to do it off the wall, but I'm still bending forward on the landing around half of the time and it makes the jump scary to me. I've noticed that a lot of my hang-ups with doing different elements are psychological, so I feel like once I'm more stable on the ice I'll improve faster.

Any thoughts on this or recommendations on what exercises to do would be appreciated!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So I had my lesson yesterday and it was going pretty well, and toward the end I asked my coach when he could teach me how to spin. He said he couldn't until my core was stronger :(

He then explained that while my legs are great, sometimes I tend to wobble forward or backward in my middle area and when that happens, it happens really fast. It's really noticeable whenever I'm practicing my waltz jump on the wall (I bend forward a lot when I land), but it happens during other maneuvers too. I've decided that I'm going to cut out fast food for a month and do some exercises focusing on my core during the week, and hopefully that will improve things.

This may be a dumb question, but I was wondering how I would know when I'm getting stronger there? Will it just be a matter of not wobbling anymore? I initially thought that was because of a balance issue. I also don't feel like I'm doing anything with those muscles while I'm skating, but my coach has told me that core muscles are very important. I'd like to get it under control because my waltz looks good on the wall and people keep telling me to do it off the wall, but I'm still bending forward on the landing around half of the time and it makes the jump scary to me. I've noticed that a lot of my hang-ups with doing different elements are psychological, so I feel like once I'm more stable on the ice I'll improve faster.

Any thoughts on this or recommendations on what exercises to do would be appreciated!

Pilates, Yoga, Barre.

TGee

Record Breaker
Try some planks! I started with a 20 second challenge and at over just over a minute. But I find it changes my core very quickly. I do the ones where you are still and the ones where you move your feet. There are all kinds of variations - it also strengthens your back. http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20813896,00.html#twisting-knee-plank

A good core exercise true, but it doesn't get it all...

.....and unbalanced development puts a skater at risk for injury

Best to go with a well rounded program as suggested by Ic3Rabbit....Pilates, yoga, barre

loopy

Final Flight
I don't think I wrote: do only planks. It was to suggest planks to strenghten core muscles. They not only help with abs and backmuscles, but also shoulders, chest, calves, thighs, arms, and neck. Sure do pilates, yoga, etc, but 3 minutes a day of different planks are free, easy and quick and make rapid body changes. It's like jumpiong rope, it's not a skaters only cardio, but why not do it as a warm up?
off ice :
https://flexafit.com/the-benefits-of-the-plank-exercise/

renla

Rinkside
Thank you for all of the suggestions! Right now skating is my only form of exercise, and while I'm not terribly unfit, there is certainly room for improvement. I like the idea of doing exercises that target different areas like what Ic3Rabbit suggested, but I think I'll work in what loopy and theoreticalgirl suggested as well since I've heard a lot of good things about planking.

If anyone doesn't mind answering, how exactly does all of this fit in with spinning? I'm assuming that it has something to do with being able to stay in position and not flinging yourself around, but I don't really understand the mechanics.

cl2

Final Flight
Thank you for all of the suggestions! Right now skating is my only form of exercise, and while I'm not terribly unfit, there is certainly room for improvement. I like the idea of doing exercises that target different areas like what Ic3Rabbit suggested, but I think I'll work in what loopy and theoreticalgirl suggested as well since I've heard a lot of good things about planking.

If anyone doesn't mind answering, how exactly does all of this fit in with spinning? I'm assuming that it has something to do with being able to stay in position and not flinging yourself around, but I don't really understand the mechanics.

Yes, core strength is essential for being able to hold your posture, positions, and generally execute the necessary technique. Jumps and spins require a good deal more strength than moves.

Also, core doesn't mean just abs. It also includes your back, gluts, quads, hamstrings, delts, lats, etc. Basically your whole body... Lol.

renla

Rinkside
Oh, I definitely thought your core was the ab area. Looks like I have some work to do!

ifshehadwings

Rinkside
Yes, core strength is essential for being able to hold your posture, positions, and generally execute the necessary technique. Jumps and spins require a good deal more strength than moves.

Also, core doesn't mean just abs. It also includes your back, gluts, quads, hamstrings, delts, lats, etc. Basically your whole body... Lol.

Yes, this exactly. I had been sedentary for a long time when I came back to skating, and I can see a huge difference in my core strength just since January. And by the way you will improve your core just by practicing skating, although obviously not as much as if you do other exercises as well.

And do NOT neglect the other parts of your core, especially the back, glutes, hamstrings. In my opinion, crunches and other strictly abdominal exercises don't really do much for your core strength in terms of the kind of results you are looking for. But working on bridges and other exercises for that area of your body will give you results. Those are the muscles that will keep your free leg lifted on jump landings or give you a good spiral position, for example. And of course, they will help you keep a good position and balance in your spin. I am unfortunately all too aware of this right now as I've been letting my strength work slip and am having trouble perfecting my spins.

Here's a good guide to bridge exercises: http://www.wikihow.com/Perform-the-Bridge-Exercise

treesprite

Final Flight
One way I learned from a coach to familiarize yourself with the feeling of having a solid and stable core, is with a visualization, imagining that you are wearing a one piece swim or body suit, then standing in such a way that the abdominal and small of back areas would not be touching your skin. Of course if you have never worn those types of garments, you might not be able to imagine it, but if you have, try the visualization.

bevybean

On the Ice
Just a couple of quick things...

Your core helps you with just about everything you do whether you realize it or not. However, engaging your core while you do something helps more --especially with balance issues. If you really pay attention to holding the correct posture, it should engage your core. If you aren't sure what that posture should be, ask your coach. I don't think I could explain it well in writing.

Planks are part of yoga. I worked with a personal trainer for yoga for awhile and planks were always incorporated as part of it. (We did down dog into a plank into cobra usually.) Whether you go to a class or just get a video, the workout will most likely include plank.

If you want to try something different, learn belly dancing. Most of the moves are ab/core driven if done correctly. Added bonus: It teaches you isolations which can be surprising useful for other things as well. If you are learning from videos, I recommend Fat Chance Belly Dance or Gypsy Caravan.

vlaurend

Final Flight
I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestion of doing planks. The type of core strength you need for spinning is really the same as what you develop by doing planks. It's all about keeping your torso completely rigid and tight. No bending at the waist and no twisting once you're in the spin. Your torso has to be a 2x4.

renla

Rinkside
Thank you all so much for your suggestions. My coach has also given me a simple exercise to do to help me improve. Since my first post he's also shown me how to start a two foot spin, and I was able to hold the position the few times I tried it. I can definitely see why having a strong core is important for spinning. I'm sure the dizziness is another matter entirely, lol.

Thanks again, everyone is super helpful here.

sillyant

Rinkside
Yea core strength is so important in figure skating!

I don't have much time for additional off-ice training but I try to fit them into my daily routine. If you try to walk in a straight back, sit down straight when you are doing work in front of a computer, it already trains your core strength. If you are not sure whether your back is straight, you can wear a cross back bra . It forces your shoulders to pull back and maintain your upper body posture.

Another tip is don't bend you back picking up stuff from the ground. You bend your knees and force your back to be straight. This move really works on ur abs.

I also tend to balance a bean bag on my shoulders or head when I am doing simple stroking on ice (or any kind of patterns). Sure you will get some strange stares, but from time to time you will have coaches giving you the thumbs up :D Plus you will end up with graceful posture if u practice long enough

In time, all these little exercise adds up. Hopefully, these are all helpful :D

And all the best with your skating endeavour!

renla

Rinkside
Thank you, sillyant. My job is basically inputing information into a computer, so your first suggestion is perfect. I would have never thought of the beanbag idea - I'm sure my coach would get a kick out of that! He's trying to get me ready for my first program and we're both discovering that I'm not as graceful as I could be :eek:hwell: Probably because of all the years I spent doing marching band!

And my two-foot spins are kind of coming along. I can do 3 revs maybe 6 times out of 10, but my coach and I are aiming for 5!

I'm also thinking that I could replace the beanbag with a beanie baby....maybe I can start a trend at my rink. :)