Loboda and Drozd hope to make impact | Golden Skate

Loboda and Drozd hope to make impact

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia's Loboda and Drozd hope to make impact in senior debut

Russian ice dancers Alla Loboda and Pavel Drozd are now preparing for their senior debut this fall following a successful season as juniors last year, and hope to make an impact right away. The World Junior silver medalists are hungry to prove themselves, especially since narrowly losing to U.S. ice dancers Rachel and Michael Parsons at the 2017 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships last March.

More

“We are not looking at specific placements at specific competitions,” Drozd offered. “The first and most important goal that we set for ourselves together with our coaches is to show ourselves at the senior level. We want the spectators to like us, the experts to notice that we have grown and that our skating has become mature, and that we can manage this transition to the seniors. We really want to put ourselves out there for the future and present ourselves as a strong senior team, not only at the Russian Championships in December, but basically at all competitions, including the Grand Prix.”

Here is wishing this new senior team luck this season!

Barb

Record Breaker
“We went out on to the ice on June 1 in (our rink) Khrustalnyi,” Loboda recalled. “We were working from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., with a one and a half hour break. We had off ice training, choreography, ballroom dance, and ice. Sometimes it seemed unbearable, it was very hard, but we lasted through one and a half months of this hard work. Pasha (Pavel) and myself did not miss one single day, so big was our desire to prove that we are capable of something.”

It seems they are very serious about this season :yes:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It will be interesting to see how they fare against the Parsons (who are also moving up to seniors) this season. While Loboda/Drozd won the SD at JW, they finished less than half a point behind the Parsons (who took gold) after the FD at JW. It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, will set them apart from each other this year.

Lots of high level competition in ice dance this season. Do you think they can squeeze into the top ten?

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
It will be interesting to see how they fare against the Parsons (who are also moving up to seniors) this season. While Loboda/Drozd won the SD at JW, they finished less than half a point behind the Parsons (who took gold) after the FD at JW. It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, will set them apart from each other this year.

Lots of high level competition in ice dance this season. Do you think they squeeze into the top ten?

I hope, but I doubt it. Not this season.

irriya

On the Ice
I really hope they can have a successful season. Correct me if I'm wrong, Russia only has two spots for ice dance in Olympics right? That's a bummer. I like S/B too. sad they can't both be in Olympics.:(

gmyers

Record Breaker
I really hope they can have a successful season. Correct me if I'm wrong, Russia only has two spots for ice dance in Olympics right? That's a bummer. I like S/B too. sad they can't both be in Olympics.:(

Yes only two and it's because Russia won't be like almost every other country in the world and send its best ice dancers to train in North America! Not explained in any way is wht l/d weren't sent to dubreil or krylova or even to Italy to train with fusar poli- that's also becoming very popular. Italy has shamelessly copied North American method. Of course no discussion of getting level 4's here but rather flaky discussion of adding "color" as judges judge "color". I don't blame them. They are prisoners of the worst ice dance program in the world.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I hope so, last year they were killing it, by far the most consistent pair in juniors, and the way they lost the gold both at GPF and Worlds it's not their fault but more judges preferences.

Though they are going arguagbly at the most difficult GP event next season which is Skate Canada, so it is going to be really challenging right from the start.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Great information again,

what would we do without these great articles by Tatjana ;)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
They are beautiful :) and talented. I'm wishing a great debute season for them!