Will the 2018 Olympics be cancelled? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Will the 2018 Olympics be cancelled?

megenta

Rinkside
Wasn't even thinking about this! But yeah, hopefully they can just have the Olympics without problems. If not, I hope it will all be done with one big bang, post nuclear war world isn't something I care to live to witness..

yude

Record Breaker
We had an evacuation alert because of missile launching by NK in last week (at 6 in the morning!) and it was terrifying.

I hope the Olympics will be held as it is planned, but if it is held in another place, I think they have to take into action now. To think of what we are doing right now for the Olympics in 2020 which is 3 years away, but we're getting news everyday already...

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
We had an evacuation alert because of missile launching by NK in last week (at 6 in the morning!) and it was terrifying.

I hope the Olympics will be held as it is planned, but if it is held in another place, I think they have to take into action now. To think of what we are doing right now for the Olympics in 2020 which is 3 years away, but we're getting news everyday already...

I read it from the news as well. I understand that it must be horrifying for countries close to NK. Olympic is a big event and a easy target. However I do think SK (and their allies) will also be preparing for some possible attacks, well, they have been living in that fear for last couple of decades. According to my friend who is S.korean, S.korean cares more about the drama and K pop... They have become numbness for that fear... I don't know if that's sad or lucky.

I do hope peace in SK and for Oly as well. :pray:

geige

On the Ice
How about Lillehammer? The venues from the 1994 Games were recently restored as they hosted the 2016 Youth Winter Games... I think that if the North Korea conflict actually does get to a critical point, Lillehammer would be the best option for a relatively quick relocation. Still not ideal, however.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
How about Lillehammer? The venues from the 1994 Games were recently restored as they hosted the 2016 Youth Winter Games... I think that if the North Korea conflict actually does get to a critical point, Lillehammer would be the best option for a relatively quick relocation. Still not ideal, however.

those were beautifully organized games !!!!

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
And who would fund all of this moving to another country? The new host city? IOC? Things like this aren't costless just because you may already have facilities somewhat ready for it. Is there any precedent of Olympic venue change in such short notice?

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
And who would fund all of this moving to another country? The new host city? IOC? Things like this aren't costless just because you may already have facilities somewhat ready for it. Is there any precedent of Olympic venue change in such short notice?

Never. Off the top of my head, the Olympics have only been moved twice. The 1940 Summer Olympics were originally to be held in Tokyo, but were re-awarded to Helsinki in 1938 after Japan invaded China; these games were eventually cancelled due to WWII. The second instance were the 1976 Winter Olympics which were originally awarded to Denver in 1970; in 1972 a referendum passed in which the citizens rejected the games and were eventually given to Innsbruck in 1973 which had already hosted the winter games in 1964.

As you can see, these changes were made many years in advance. Anyone who thinks the games will be moved at a 5 months notice are simply delusional. The games will either carry on as usual or be cancelled.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
As you can see, these changes were made many years in advance. Anyone who thinks the games will be moved at a 5 months notice are simply delusional. The games will either carry on as usual or be cancelled.

Thank you for a voice of reason! There is no way the Olympics can be moved at this stage. It's an interesting discussion, but not a realistic one.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The NK dictator is a total flake and his behavior is too unpredictable to expose all the athletes and spectators to his whims. Maybe the OG should not be cancelled but perhaps postponed a year until a new venue can be found.

QLutz

On the Ice
ukraine couldn't stay quiet for the russian olympics. we shouldn't expect north korea to stay quiet for the south korean olympics.

Kelly Lynn

Rinkside
I will not go to Korea and would not send a child there. I think it's more than likely NK will use the games as leverage for their agenda. Lillehammer was the absolute best. An ideal setting for winter games with wonderful, welcoming hosts.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I will not go to Korea and would not send a child there. I think it's more than likely NK will use the games as leverage for their agenda. Lillehammer was the absolute best. An ideal setting for winter games with wonderful, welcoming hosts.
Pwhen ipredicted this months ago some emoticons looked shocked. Likely to be cancelled and 2022? Even worse gut intuition then. But I hope things improve -- we have crazy people near nukes. I wish Trump would play it cool with his words as Obama would have. Oh my.

Manitou

Medalist
There's also this place called Vancouver that hosted a pretty amazing Winter Olympics almost 8 years ago. :slink:

With guaranteed muddy slush and heavy rains. I think Pacific NW eliminated itself from winter Olympics for a long time.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Sochi will be there, in case of cancellation. I just chatted to some of my colleagues today and he is usually very well informed about these type of things. Sochi makes sense, as the facilities are all there.

Personally,

I doubt that they cancel the games, why should they? If the US president doesn´t go crazy, nothing bad should happen. The North Koreans are just humans like we all, they won´t shoot their family members on the other side. I have grown up in a split country, we had tanks lined up and yet nothing happened.

Yes, it is frightening but a lot is propaganda too. Kim as bad as he might be in the eyes of the west, he is not suicidal. His rush for nuclear power is a direct response to the Americans and their illegal wars. Kim doesn´t want to end like Gaddafi and Co.

Our world is looking terrible I agree, people die everywhere in stupid wars, but most of them could easily be stopped if the powers in charge would actually be interested in it. If I look at Yemen I become depressed, Ukraine, Syria, now the Rohingya...
That being said,
Trump won´t attack NK, as this would bring China and Russia into the conflict and Kim won´t attack SK or Japan either, as this would end in an US American response. It is so to speak a standoff.

That being said, the rush for military power all around the world is a big mess it´s all so 1910´s again and if a war really breaks out then we will have much bigger problems to worry about.

Just stay positive and show your leaders that you don´t want to go to war for them. Without soldiers they can´t fight, so just stand down if you get the order.